“fabulous vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Isla de Cayo Levantado | Bahia de Samana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 56 hotels in Samana Province
Calgary, Canada
“fabulous vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

there isn't much else to say about this resort except fabulous I have just got home from my 4th time there this time I was there for my wedding everything was so perfect thanks to samona wedding coordinator it was a perfect wedding I would recommend this hotel to anyone there is some people who deserve a big hello, first of is walkie who works at the lobby bar who recognised us straight away it was just like going home the welcome we got from him then there is micky and Eduardo who would bring our drinks to us at night while we were just sitting out side and there was 19 people all together and they would all ways get the drinks correct I was in villa 7 and would like to thank are cleaner who always had a smile on his face and kept our room so clean the only thing really was they would run out of white wine and most of us woman drank only wine so some night we couldn't get a drink and the men would run out of there drinks like jack daniels and other shorts that they drank so if the hotel could order more than they think they need then this problem wouldn't happen but apart from this it really is my dream vacation and we will be back next June 2014 hope to still see Alexi there he is a very nice man who was even at the boat to wave us all off so to all my family at cayo levantado see you soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear lesley-mo:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing a hotel for your holidays and for posting your experience.
In Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado we are committed to provide an excellent service through a high qualified team. I have shared your nice words with Eduardo, Mickey and Alexis, so they are very happy.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,

2,618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just returned, stayed between June 22nd & 29th. I knew it was going to be special the night I arrived when I was welcomed with a smile and a warm moist towel getting off the boat. A drink was handed to me as I entered the lobby and at 10PM a basket of fruit was delivered to my villa. This resort is nothing short of sensational. The grounds are immaculate. The gardens are amazing, everywhere you look is breathtaking. The staff work very hard to keep it that way, the people working there - all of them, are terrific at what they do. There are 2 main pool areas, both very different and both areas are amazing with amazing views, very relaxing and peaceful. They will even bring you drinks at pool side or beach side. And people, for heavens sake, give them a dollar tip or 50 pesos, it won't kill you. The hotel has a beautiful private beach with plenty of chairs all over the place, no rush to run down at 6AM to put your towels down. The public beach is also very beautiful and you can do some shopping at the same time while you are there. It's completely safe, I was there a couple of times, once at 6AM and once in the afternoon, worth a visit for sure. My villa was huge and spotless with a huge deck outside that had a table, chairs and a Jacuzzi tub. The inside also had a Jacuzzi tub, the room was clean and very pleasant although I pretty much just slept there. I was out at the crack of dawn pretty much taking pictures and remained outdoors as much as I could to enjoy the scenery. The food was excellent, no complaints. The chicken in the DR tastes so good compared to Canada. I could have eaten chicken & rice for 7 days and I think I might have? There is a special place in my heart for Orquídea and Armando who served me my afternoon and evening drinks all week. I love you guys, great service and great company you were both, thank you very much. I could go on and on here. Needless to say I will no doubt return, and this as soon as I possibly can. Wonderful job people. ALL of you, keep up the great work and I love to see those smiles. See you all soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Maestro2002:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel while choosing a place to enjoy your holidays.
It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Armando; we have shared your comments with them.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time, please contact us before your arrival.
Sincerely yours,
rct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

It has been 2 years since my family and I (8 adults 1 child) stayed at this wonderful hotel. Although we've toure North ans South America, Asia, The Carribbean and Europe, I had never had the yearning to return to any one particular place until I went to Cayo Levantado. The rooms, the attitudes of every member of staff, every facility, the location---- excellent!!!
I am very disappointed that this year it is 'Adults Only' for now as a family we are being deprived. I hope that the hotel will change its ideas soon, because we all want to return as a family.
congratulations to every member of staff,
Gillian Edwards

I could not choose the year 2011 because it was not within your choice range, maybe you could allow people to record each of their past holidays

Room Tip: We had the superior suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear gemini25551:

I have shared your comments related to become in an only adults hotel with our sales department.
In case you decide to repeat with us I recomend you Grand Bahía Príncipe Portillo 5* in Las Terrenas desigend for families or Luxury Bahía Príncipe Esmeralda 5*GL in Punta Cana.
In case Bahía Príncipe decides to allow children in the hotel, we will let you know.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We spent 2 weeks here and we couldn't of asked for anything more perfect. We got married on the beach in the gazebo, the weather was perfect and there was a slight breeze which cooled us down. Simona our wedding co-ordinator did a fantastic job, we had an amazing day. Lots of yummy champagne and the photographer got some great shots. The hotel, grounds and villas were lovely and kept clean and tidy. The food was lovely and the service exceptional (we'd like to mention Miguel who was fantastic) and we mostly enjoyed the Don Pablo restaurant which is where we also had our wedding dinner. The beach was gorgeous as were the pools peaceful and clean. Walky who works in the lobby bar was great fun and really friendly,we enjoyed a few afternoons trying out the cocktails with him and loved it. What a great guy :-) We only spent 2 weeks here but could have easily stayed for another 2, we were sad to leave. We 100% recommend here and we're definatly going to re-book to come back. Thank you for a great time

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jodi G:

I would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your wedding; we congratulate you and wish you the best.
We are very happy to read that this memorable occasion was very special as it is supposed to be. In Bahia Principe Hotels one of our guiding principles is to serve a unique gastronomy.
We will be happy to celebrate with you your first anniversary, please write us a mail before your arrival,
With kindest regards,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have to emphasize that this place made me realize it really depends on your vacation style and that the little things really matter. If you are anything like my boyfriend and I in that you like to sleep in and relax, not keep up to scheduled times on your own vacation (after all, you're paying the resort, the staff should work their times around YOU), this place probably isn't for you.

Don't get me wrong, the island was beautiful and very well maintained. Lovely beaches both private and public. The food was good and rooms are very nice and clean. Even the television channel selection was good for those days that are rainy or nights you wish to spend indoors relaxing.

In terms of food quality, cleanliness , rooms it definitely is a 5 star resort. However, we found it was the little things, particularly compared to another 5 star resort we were recently at, that really makes a difference in the type of vacation you're looking for.

Whereas the other resort we had recently stayed at did not require food reservations and there was always at least 1 restaurant open in all hours of the day, this place only offered a buffet for breakfast and lunch, which btw were only in time intervals. So if you missed breakfast because you wanted to sleep in and relax in the mornings, you had to make sure you caught the lunch interval which was only 1pm to 3pm.

And if you missed that, and couldn`t wait until dinner at 7pm, room service selection wasn`t that impressive, especially the late night menu. Also, when we did order, it took them over an hour and half despite the stated time frame of 45 minutes.

Furthermore, it was another chore to make reservations at the only other 3 restaurants that were only available for dinner, and those places only allowed you to order 1 serving of each course. This was so unlike the other all inclusive 5-star resort we were at, and that place had less rooms than this one and 7 restaurants which you could order unlimited food.

In addition, towel service at the beach would run out by 1pm or 2pm... those are still prime times for people to come to the beach! Also, during the day, the public beach charged for any drinks you wanted until 11pm. The bar at the lobby closed at 11pm. So we were told most people had drinks in the lobby until 11pm and would go to the public beach afterwards if they wanted drinks. It was all just a lot of rules (albeit they were small considerations) but still... this is supposed to be a vacation, not a chore.

We certainly made the most of our vacation and we certainly enjoyed our time here. I still would recommend this place but I just emphasize that these little things you should consider if you think they would make your stay a bit more inconvenient against your vacation style before you just make a booking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tamychen:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays and to have posted your experience.
It has been a shame to not reach your expectations with the meal timetable. We hve noticed your comments to our Headquarter.
In case you decide to come back, please contact us before your arrival, and you will see our capacity of becoming better.
Bracebridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My Husband and I spent a wonderful week at Cayo Levantado in June; the weather was wonderful but the hotel and staff made this vacation over the top!!!
We arrived on my husbands birthday and I had emailed ahead of time to ask if they could possibly do anything special for him - Alexis was very kind and replied quickly to let me know that they didn't have anything specific but he would forward the email to guest services. When we arrived I found out that the lovely woman at guest services (sorry I didn't remember her name) had made arrangements for a reservation at the Don Pablo restaurant for dinner that night and also for them to make a birthday cake for my husband!! Also we were greeted in our room with a fruit basket and plate of desserts and I found out later that week that we were also given a room upgrade from a Junior Suite to a Junior Suite Superior.
We enjoyed the a la carte restaurants but in our opinion the Don Pablo was our favourite the Mediterráneo was a close second for me. Breakfast and Lunch were enjoyed at the Orquídea as well as 2 dinners - the Gala evening (seafood) and the Dominican evening and even if you didn't like the type of specialty food there was always options that were suitable.
We visited all the pools and beaches but found that the pool closer to the main building was a better fit for us as it was a bit quieter that week. We also got fantastic service from Fernando at the Flamboyan bar near this pool. And we also met some wonderful fellow Canadians here as well ;)
When we visited the public beach we went through the vendors which were a bit direct about trying to get you to purchase items so on the way back we decided to walk on the grass and then found an area of beach closer to the docks that we found some very nice seashells for the kids without having to pay the vendors.
One thing that I found was missing was a bit of an orientation about the property when we arrived - of course if this is not your first visit this can be optional but as a first time visitor it would have been nice to know about the property and events (including when the vendors would be coming so that we were prepared to browse/shop)
Overall we would not hesitate to go back to this wonderful Resort and will be saving up so that we can do so soon!!

Room Tip: Upgrades are definitely worth the money - and rooms in the Villas are much nicer!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TraceyTimR:

We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
Stalybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

wedding review.......
wedding at the gazebo on the beach 12.30....hot and breezy...nicely decorated...beautiful bouquet......lots of champagne provided.photographer gets some good shots during and after ceremony.returned to the room at 6 to be welcomed by two butlers with chocolate covered strawberries,more champagne and the best tasting wedding cake I have ever eaten.we then had a meal for 4 at don Pablo with more champagne.returned to the room at 11 to find rose petals leading from the door to the bathroom,bubble bath prepared surrounded by candles and a petal heart on the bed.......amazing.....breakfast delivered to the room in the morning also with more than you can possibly eat.....what an experience....just don't expect too much from the hair salon....I had a trial which was horrendous and I looked about 80......luckily I had met our witnesses 5 days before and she was a hairdresser so after a lot of misunderstanding and an extra 20 dollars we were allowed to use the salon.
now for the hotel review.......
checked in before the boat ride to the island.drink and welcome speech on arrival.went straight to the restaurant for food and wow it was delicious.got a buggy ride to the room and I nearly cried....it was perfect....massive with everything you could need.....a huge four poster bed which was really comfy and a pillow menu to choose from,large tv in living area and bedroom,bathroom had Jacuzzi and shower,seperate toilet room with bidet,lots of toiletries which were replaced when empty including toothpaste and brush,hair products,shaving stuff,loofah,comb,and much more.plenty of tea and coffee facilities and the mini bar was replaced daily. we had gifts on arrival including fruit,t shirts,rum,canvas bag,coffee....the balcony was huge with a Jacuzzi which we didn't use much as it took ages to fill and was cold at night as we had the windy side of the island,table and chairs and beds too.air conditioning and fans were included too.we were in villa 8.
there are buggies which will pick you up and take you where you want to go but we hardly used them as the island was so small you could walk everywhere.there are small lizards all over which will keep you amused on your travel.there is a lift going down to the beach which is beautiful.there is a calm side and a windy side where the waves were too rough for me but it was great for sunbathing as you never got too hot.there are more then enough sun loungers and you can grab free towels from near the pool.join in the beach activities,they are fun....boules,aerobics,olympics,beer drinking competitions etc.....Ariel is the best entertainment staff and he really gets into everything.watersports are available too.the pools are always clean and a very good temperature and always enough sun loungers.staff will come round and get you drinks all day if you want.the middle pool was our favourite though as it was quieter.there are also 3 Jacuzzi pools too but no bar there so its very quiet there.
the food in the buffet restaurant is fantastic....I am a vegetarian and I always found plenty to eat for every meal and never got bored in 2 weeks.good choice of salads,fruit,and desserts are fantastic.i tried lots of new foods and really enjoyed them,especially the cassava.there is a different theme every night,chinese,mexican,etc but gala night is the best.....lots of chocolate......there are different welcome cocktails every night too.staff are always friendly and quick to remove finished plates and top you up with drinks.beware ladies of the hand sanitising gel on arrival if you have gel nails it will dull them.the restaurants are ok but I preferred the buffet.service could be slow and pretentious and meals small too.the moussaka in the med was the nicest and the pizza in the Italian was massive....don Pablo was dark,slow service,small food,tasteless desserts....not for me.
there are two shops.....really expensive lobby shop and a gift shop.....didn't buy anything....got gifts from airport instead.....they have markets on sometimes and always on the public beach.
the entertainment was hit and miss but the acrobats were amazing and there was a bit of humour too but most nights it was a guy on a piano in the lobby.cocktails were ok but mass produced.there was entertainment on the public beach too.
weather was ok....started off with afew thunderstorms and heavy rain washed out the first Wednesday but after that it only rained at night and was sunny in the day.the hotel grounds were very well kept and there was always someone painting,gardening,cleaning etc.....
the hotel owner was always around and chatted with everyone making you feel like old friends.there are some staff who are part of the privilege club....basically time shares.....they will pester you at first but if you tell them you are not interested they will eventually leave you alone.
the gym was the major disappointment.....a treadmill,2 cross trainers,bikes and some weights.....I only went twice....needs improving.tennis courts available and if you like running the path is good for that.i had a deep tissue massage and exfoliation in the spa which was amazing,also a seaweed wrap which was ok.the hydrothermal circuit wasn't upto much though.
overall this was an amazing holiday and I would return again in the future.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear joebloggs90:

With kindest regards,

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!