“Rose Tinted Paradise...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Isla de Cayo Levantado | Bahia de Samana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 57 hotels in Samana Province
Aberdeen
“Rose Tinted Paradise...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The island is absolutely gorgeous and now back in the UK I'm thoroughly sad that I'm not accidentally gulping sea water and watching little fish swim round my feet in the sea whilst awaiting a slush puppy pina colada. :'(

We had a room on the 5th floor of the main hotel which I suspect are the cheapest rooms and yet it was a lovely room with an enormous bed and walk in wardrobe which the girlfriend adored.

The staff were generally very friendly, lovely in fact, and any problems we had were efficently resolved. (the popular plumbing problem and locking ourselves out of our room).

There's plenty to do despite this mini island paradise. Whale watching and other excursions. Sure, you are free to do as you please. I found my self happy to hang about the island with its glorious beaches, nice pools, gym, booze and food. I wasn't worried about going elsewhere having been to see the whales and also los haiteses national park. I would have liked to see Santo Domingo but it was an undersubscribed trip from here, so think on of that's something you want to do,

As for the food. It was OK. There were elements of luxury such as Lobster, caviar, steaks and bloody mary's at breakfast should you want them, but there was also travesties of international cuisine (French & British I noticed in particular). I really enjoyed eating a whole bunch of seafood I've never even heard of before; Gilthead, Carite, Dolphin fish (not mammalian dolphin!), grouper, stone bass and I'd never even eaten Soul before despite being a food lover! Also certain fruit and veg such as Tayota and soursop. The variety was great and so even if I didn't fancy one thing or another there was always something there I wanted. I have gained about 8lbs in 2 weeks since I went so that speaks volumes for my enjoyment of the food. The restaurants serve, basically, the same stuff repackaged. I had a beef saltimbocca and instead of getting a beef, ham and sage affair (as advertised) I got a beef, gravy and rosemary affair. No big deal but I suppose what I'm saying is if you are a big food enthusiast you might find the feed here a little disappointing. There are anomalies and slight disappointments.

As for the booze. I see some people were unhappy with the lack of international brands at certain bars. My advice would be; if you are prepared to walk five minutes, you'll get youre international booze. The lobby bar has many international liquors. None of them particularly great, but all of them able to get you sufficiently drunk! So don't worry! For the record there is Finlandia Vodka, Drambuie, J&B, Tanqueray etc...Just ask and you will recieve.

My girlfriend said that the most disappointing thing of the holiday was having to listen to North American couples arguing and table slamming in restaurants. Spoilt fools but no responsibilty of the hotel and we both have sufficient humour to get over it. We also met some lovely people including a Brummy couple (Pat and Terry) and various North Americans and Europeans. A couples retreat at the end of the day.

All in all. I fell in love with this Hotel/Island/Country so would I recommend it? Hell yeah! I'm so gutted I' not there right now. If the hotel served nothing but beans on toast and cerveza every day, I'd still want to live there!

As for names of staff (as requested) I'm afraid I can only remember:

"Super nice pregnant" Maria (Thank you for your very friendly and excellent service, I felt a bit guilty being waited on by a pregnant woman, good luck with that and everything else)
"Cerveza" Salvador (Cheers mate!)
Victor "J-J-J-Juice" (gracias amigo)
and a whole bunch of other lovely people!

Gracias!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Laroos S:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel while choosing a place to enjoy your holidays.
It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about all staff mostly in teh bar; we have shared your comments with them.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time, please contact us before your arrival.

2,633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this resort because I wanted something secluded, something a bit different from the usual all-inclusives. I was drawn by the remote location and the fact it is advertised as a 'luxury' property. We just got back and here is my take on this hotel:
The Good: location. The island is tiny, wild and luscious. The grounds are beautifully kept, with gardeners constantly tending the greenery. It is hot and humid, and although we had rainy days (like in monsoon days!), it was still warm and you could stay outside and enjoy it. The ocean- beautiful color and the small rocky island around the main island makes it an interesting landscape. Snorkeling was ok, but not as many fish (maybe because it was whale season). The staff is amazing, much warmer than in Mexico I find, very genuine and eager to please.

The Not so good: there is no AC in the lobby, or the buffet restaurant. I found this quite shocking, as the foods were served in this hot environment- everybody wanted to eat outside rather than in (because it was so hot), and there was a constant wait for an outside table. Serving caviar, fish, sushi, smoothies etc in a hot restaurant is a recipe for GI disease- 2 of us got sick and I don't wonder why. I heard alot of people complain about toilet flooding in the villas, plumbing issues, AC issues etc etc..we had a great big room, but zero view (overlooking staff quarter). To stay in a hotel on a tiny island surrounded by water and see not even corner of the ocean is disappointing. The beach is tiny tiny, lush vegetation though, but if you want a big stretch of beach this is not the place to go to. The music at the pool was the same 2-3 songs repeated insanely over the whole week. As for seclusion and quiet- they still have the 'usual' water aerobics, with loud music, and you can't get away from it.

My conclusion: this hotel should really think hard about their branding- they will become an adult property this year, which is great I think, as this place would be great for a romantic getaway. It's a pity that right now this hotel is in a search of identity- it's secluded, but not that quiet, it's romantic but too sweaty, it's friendly but not as accommodating to basic requirements that other hotels offer. Until this hotel will take full advantage of this superb location, I will stay away. I just hope that their 92% full occupancy rate throughout the year will not be a reason to keep it as it is (because people go anyway)- it would too sad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen 38319:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you holidays.
We are very happy to read that you had a memorable stay thanks to the friendliness of our staff members, the beauty and the cleanness of our premises and facilities, and the good work of our staff. In Bahia Principe we are committed to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guest. On the other hand, I have shared your suggestions and comments with all departments Manager, so we can work to improve our standards.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I visited Cayo Leventado Oct.28-Nov 5 2012. It was truly amazing.

I don't know what some ppl complain about when reviewing this hotel, because it was really spectacular. As mentioned by other ppl, this is not a place where you have your stag or come to hook up and party. It is mainly couples either on their honeymoons or holidays. The vibe is very relaxed, and even though its on its own island there is plenty to do.

My wife and I are in late 20s, mid 30s, and we had a very very relaxing and fun holiday. We are mainly beach ppl, so we spent most of our time there. The two beaches are really one beach that is separated by a rock, but are very distinctive. One is very windy and has some decent sized waves, while the other side is very calm. We enjoyed both, but mainly stayed at the calm beach as you can snorkelling right from the beach around the big rock. Tons of different fish, even saw a morey eel. Be careful though, as there are many sea urchins. There is also a public beach. We only went there once, and although its nice, you have to pay for drinks and are pestered by the vendors to buy stuff. There is one great thing about the public beach though.....at the end there is a little shop set up where you can play, and then swim in the open ocean with SEALIONS. My wife really wanted to do this, and it was fantastic. I believe it was $45 each, and we actually bought our tickets at the scuba shack on the calm beach.
The scuba hut, also has tons of cayaks, canoes, and snorkelling equipment you can borrow for free(if u dont have your own).Their scuba gear was in good shape, and they had a lot of diff. sizes. We did 2 dives, and the dive master is pretty knowledgeble, and easy going. We did the reef dive, and the sunken ferry. Tons of stuff to see...we even saw a lion fish. Wish we had done more dives to be honest.
We also did the El Limon waterfall excursion. It was amazing!!!! Its about a 40 min drive by bus up to the mountains in Samana, but well worth it. They set you up with a horse and a guide(everybody gets their own) and up you go. It gets pretty steep at certain spots, so hold on. When you get to the waterfall its HUGE. I believe they said it was 120 feet, and you can swim in the pool below. The water was pretty cold, but if you go in, make sure you swim through the waterfall into the cave behind it. It's a pretty col feeling. When you're done, you head back(our guides let us gallop a bit on the horses), have lunch, and get back on the bus to your hotel. Make sure you bring some tip money for the guides.

The rooms at this hotel are very nice and big. We were in villa 11, and had a huge bed, jacuzzi in the bathroom and on the patio, a living room, fridge, and 2 TVs. Bed was firm but very comfy, and we really enjoyed the privacy on the patio. The only downfall(if u can really call it that) is that with all the lush trees and bushes, the view of the water is moewhat obstructed. This obviously varies from room to room, but if its a bid deal to you, you might want to be in the hotel itself as most rooms overlook the ocean. FYI, we travelled with Air Canada, and the rep set us up with a free room on our last day after we checked out just to have a shower or get ready.

The food at the buffet was very good, and even better at the restaurants. Tons and tons of options, and everything was good to very good. Everything from chicken to steak and lobster, and all kinds of desserts. The wait staff are very friendly. Some speak better english than others, but you can always get your point across.
The buffet at the beach is also good, with the menu changing every day.

The drinks are well made, and come often. Whether you get up or get it yourself, of have the beach butlers get it for you, there is lots to choose from and you can have them make them as strong or weak as you like. All the staff at the beach are energetic, and fun. They actually seem to enjoy their work, and we got the same service when we tipped or didn't.

Overall, we had an amazing time here, and would definetely come back. If you're thinmking about coming here, don't hesitste....just go and you'll have a good time.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Luke B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lukeandjess:

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I wont detail on the many positive comments other than to agree: island is secluded, very peaceful and meant for couples for the most part. The water has two great choices: bigger waves and calm swimming right next to each other. The private cab ride from the Samana airport is about 45 mins - cant imagine going from the further airport so be sure to check which airport you're landing in. Check in was smooth. We initially chose the main building but immediately upgraded to one of the villas as we wanted to be near the beach. Villas 4-5-6 were ideal locations. The island isnt as big as it appears but service via a shuttle trolley is available if you dont mind waiting 10 mins or so. Restaurants and buffet were ok - decent for a buffet but you shouldnt expect North American 5* type food. The beach buffet was the least enjoyable especially if you went later in the day after the food has been sitting around for hours.

Service, friendliness was awesome for the most part - especially the Manager Alexis. Look for him when you arrive and he will do everything he can to make the stay perfect.

Now, here are a couple of things that caused me grief: one, all the alcohol at the beach, beach restaurants and the other dining options were ALL LOCAL brands. They did not have one name brand at any place except the main bar near the lobby. For a 5* to claim branded liquor, it should be available everywhere.
Two: i realize we are in a foreign country but some basic english skills should be mandatory. When you ask for bottled water, butter, this that, the servers should understand what you are talking about. These are basic items that all vacationers are going to request yet they had no clue what we were saying. Forget asking if they had bacardi or tanqueray, etc - again, no idea what we were saying. it got to the point that we stopped asking and/or went and got what we needed ourselves. This is similar in many vacation spots but i found this as bad as i've ever experienced.

So, we generally dont visit the same place twice but my better half would consider this place simply because it was very relaxing and safe. I likely wouldnt as it was a little too quiet and didnt like the couple of issues mentioned above.

Room Tip: Villas if you like being near the beach - villas 4-5-6 are best. other villas are more secluded on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cowboys Toronto:

Denver, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that we have been fortunate enough to have traveled to many of the Caribbean islands and have had very good experiences. We have never complained to or about a Resort that we have visited. We visited the Iberostar Grand Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana in December of 2011 and we chose this vacation spot based solely on the TripAdvisor reviews. This resort was not only everything that the Travelers boasted but even better.

This year, we were planning our vacation and used TripAdvisor as our guide once again. We considered revisiting the Iberostar, because it was so perfect, but wanted to try something different. The Travelers all had wonderful things to say about the Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. We read about the location and the food and the service and we were so impressed that we booked our trip for one week beginning January 29th. The only thing that we were concerned about was our travel time to and for the Resort. There were no direct flights out of Charlotte so we had a connection in Miami, but had to fly into the Santa Domingo Airport, which was still a 2.5 hour taxi transfer to the Ferry Pickup for the Resort.

As we expected, the travel time was difficult especially the drive through very impoverished areas. Once we arrived to the Ferry Pickup and on our way to the resort by water, it was apparent that the weather was wonderful in the 80s and the scenery was gorgeous!

The Resort Appearance is superb. The Lobby is grand. The island is breathtaking from all vantage points. The ocean/sea are clear blue. The beach is crystal white. The grounds are impeccably landscaped and manicured. The pools are perfect. This is quite the picturesque location.

We had booked a Superior Junior Suite and called ahead and asked for a water-view which was not guaranteed, but when we arrived we were very pleased to find that our request had been met and then some. We were booked in room 1701 which was Villa 17 and we had a beautiful water-view. The room was quite private and top notch with exquisite decor and a jacuzzi bath inside and on the large patio.

Here is where my review may not sound like "paradise"...

Upon arrival, we decided to relax, have a cocktail in our room and then take a shower. The refrigerator was thinly stocked with only a few sodas and waters but one beer and a few low end liquor airplane bottles, and no wine. This was a surprise to us, given our previous all inclusive experiences, but no big deal. As for the shower, there was NO water pressure. The water trickled out of the shower head in droplets, so we tried the inside jacuzzi bath and it was also impossible. We called the front desk and they said that the water pressure on the island was "not that strong" and they never did come to fix it. We finally decided to try our outside jacuzzi bath and luckily it had water pressure. It takes a little getting used to when bathing on your patio, though. Last complaint on the room; the bed was as hard as a rock! They offered a pillow menu which we did not take advantage of, but I do not think a change of pillow would have helped.

Now, this is truly our biggest complaint. The food situation at this Resort needs major improvement. Their are three restaurants that are ONLY OPEN AT DINNER and require a reservation in advance. Breakfast and lunch are only available at a buffet. Both Buffets had no air conditioning. This was not a comfortable setting for having any meal. Dinner Buffet was so warm and muggy that we had no choice but to eat outdoors. Without regard to the temperature, it would not be so bad if the buffet had a good selection that was alternated even slightly by the day but the buffets were subpar to start with with and the food would sit on them all day without being changed out. For Breakfast, there was only the Lobby Buffet. The Breakfast French Toast was like rubber and they served chicken nuggets that make McDonalds taste like gourmet. For lunch, there was one poolside buffet and the lobby buffet. The poolside buffet opened at 12 and closed at 6. The food that was put out at 12 could be found lingering at closing time. They had nasty hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets, pizza that was not consumable, and some salad options and pastas that were okay. There was absolutely no option available at all to order a cooked lunch item or appetizer at any time or location during the day at this resort. If you planned on eating, you were eating the buffet. Eating like this for days was inadequate, disgusting and disappointing. This is supposed to be a 5 star resort. There is no way this is 5 star. I can't imagine our vacation lasting any longer than the week that we had with this type of food situation.

On our first night we experienced the Dinner Buffet and the poor selection and quality of the food made us a little worried about what was to come with regard to food. On our second night, we could not get a reservation for dinner until 9:30 so we decided to order room service for dinner. We opened the menu and found; nachos, cheese or ham sandwich, a burger or Caesar Salad, and few other items. We ordered a cheeseburger and ham sandwich. We waited one hour without delivery and called the office who said they'd call us back. They called back 20 minutes later and said it would be 45 more minutes. We received our meal over 2 hours after ordering and opened the containers to find two cold cheese sandwiches with cold fries. We ate the meal because we were so hungry at this point, but it was disgusting. On our third evening, we had reservations at Don Pablo's, which was supposed to be the Resort's finest restaurant. We got awful service. What I mean by that is that we did not receive a greeting for 20 minutes after being seated and the dinner was a three hour experience of waiting in food to arrive. We both ordered Filet and Lobster along with an appetizer, soup and desert. I could not tell you what the appetizer or soup that either of us received really was, but they were hardly edible. Once the main course arrived, our "filets" were tough and rubbery and smothered in a brown gravy substance and our lobster was a piece the size of my thumb. We declined our deserts and main person came up to us asking why we didn't eat any steak. He brought us a few more bite-sized pieces of Lobster, which was very thoughtful. On the fourth day, we ate the buffet for breakfast, lunch and then dinner. I can't say that I am sure what item or items I consumed that were bad or contaminated, but by 7:00 pm I became violently ill. I stayed sick for the remaining three days. I am pretty sure that I had food poisoning, given the circumstances and my symptoms. This was miserable and made eating the poor quality food much more difficult. I will say, my Husband did not get sick during our stay. We did speak with five other people who were Guests at the Resort with us who also became ill with the same symptoms.

The drink selection also really needs attention. The resort serves well liquor. The only Vodka beyond well that was available at the Resort was Smirnoff and this was guarded by the Bartenders as if it were a commodity. They do not make great drinks either. We had a select few well make drinks during our stay but definitely more bad than good. The wine and Champagne is cheap, cheap, cheap. If you prefer sodas, good luck getting ice with you drink. You literally have to beg and that might not work.

On to service. If you speak Spanish, you may have a very pleasant experience when it comes to service at the Luxury Bahia Principe Caya Levantado. We do not speak Spanish. We are from the US and we only met five other people from the US during our stay at the resort. There were many travelers from Canada and Europe. The Canadian Guests were very kind and friendly and were the only other Guests who spoke English. The Service Staff spoke very little English and could not understand drink orders or give directions. It was extremely difficult to get assistance with any question, concern or problem. This posed as a huge problem for us, but they all seemed nice. I would not say that many of the Staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant/memorable. Their was one member of the Entertainment Staff would spoke very good English and was very helpful and friendly and I do believe that he helped many Guests enjoy their stay. His name was Estephano.

I am going to sum this up. The Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado has the potential to be a five star resort and one of the best. Their are not many places you can find the beauty and sulcus ion that this resort offers with an all inclusive option. Although this is really a beautiful location and resort, we would never return. They are completely banking on the beauty and that will only take a vacation destination so far.... and that is definitely where it stops here.

Dear DMaggs:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing a hotel for your holidays and for posting your experience.
In Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado we are committed to provide an excellent service through a high qualified team.
On the other hand, I have shared your suggestions and comments with our Food and Beverages Manager, so we can work to improve our standards.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
With best regards,
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Cayo Leventado (January 19th to 26th) and would recommend it. Not the spot for those looking for a large resort with lots of partying,but it is absolutely beautiful and relaxing.
Overall, it was a fabulous trip... the rooms (Villa10), food and location were very good. (Service could be improve in restaurants)
Hope to go back next year

Dear Martineau C:

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at the Luxury Gran Bahia Cayo Levantado. All of the positive reviews are true, this place really is special. The grounds are amazing and lush. The staff is hard working and extremely professional and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean and exceptionally comfortable. We stayed in the main building and were very happy with our room. The food is very good at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. They served top shelf liquor at the bars and it was nice to enjoy a Baileys after dinner on the terrace. The resort never felt crowded even though they were at capacity. You could always find a lounger by a pool or at the beach. This resort is very quiet. If you are looking for somewhere to enjoy some peace and quiet in the in sun then you have found the right spot.
We can't wait to go back, but next time we will be sure to stay for two weeks. One week was not long enough!

Dear Marinator:

Sincerely yours,

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!