“Fantastic island getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Isla de Cayo Levantado | Bahia de Samana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 57 hotels in Samana Province
“Fantastic island getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We were the wedding of 34 that had come up in a previous post. I just have to say that our large group was treated as we were family. The staff was very laid back but courteous always asking if anything was needed, or was everything ok. On numerous occasions we ate together and the staff handled it the best they could. With the size of the group at hand, you couldn't ask for better. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and huge, the pools were refreshing(could be skimmed a little bit more) but were clean. The beach/entertainment staff were awesome Ramona/Fernando at the bar, Gabriel/Rosa/Estephan(2thumbs up) always welcomed you with a genuine smile.
First and last face I seen at this resort, Vladamir can't say enough about this man, true professional who takes pride in what he does he served our whole group single handedly at times. Edward at breakfast always a cheery personality. There are many others. There is much I have to say but I'll leave some for the rest of our group. I enjoyed my stay and recommend it for the peace and tranquility it has to offer, with exceptional service.

Dana Moncton, Can

• Stayed November 2012
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear guest dghark:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel while choosing a place to enjoy your holidays.
It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Ramona, Stephan,Gabriel, Rosa, we have shared your comments with them.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time, please contact us before your arrival.

2,708 people have reviewed this hotel

1942
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

One of my annual travelling buddies and I recently spent a glorious week at this resort. I have stayed at all of the other major all inclusive hotels on the Samana peninsula over the past 20 years many times and this hotel is truly a jewel.
We travelled down with Air Canada vacations and had the hot and uncomfortable luck to check in at the dock while watching the boat leave for the island. I asked for and was given a bottle of water but no one else was offered one. On arrival at the island everything suddenly got better. We were greeted with cold cloths to freshen up with and one of those sickly sweet pink cocktails served in a fabulous air conditioned lobby. We went directly to the bar for a real pina colada but sadly this is a principe resort and there isn't a blender in sight.

Aside from the location, the most outstanding feature of this resort is the fabulously attentive staff. I have never stayed at a resort where upper management was not only visible but attentive to their guests.

We had booked a superior room and had asked for one with two queen sized beds. Our first room was on the 5th floor of the main building. You take the elevator to the 4th floor, walk the length of the hallway and take the stairs up to 5. The room is a garret with roof rafters and all with a king sized bed and a single bed squeezed in as well. There was a tiny balcony that you had to duck when walking to the railing. Down to the lobby we went and met our new best friend Ramon. Now to work on the front desk at one of these resorts it helps to have the patience of a saint and to understand that the unhappy guests in front of you probably haven't had enough sleep and are exhausted. Ramon told is that the resort was full but he had one room in one of the villas. These small villas have three rooms in them. The room has two small windows about four feet off the floor. It is dark on the brightest of days. The wee patio, the paved area under the window, has no view, no privacy, no garden, and the side of the linen storeroom to look at. Ramon thought that we would be able to upgrade in a couple of days so we took the villa. The resort has some pretty ridiculous rooms and villas and some majorly fabulous ones. Two days after our arrival we were given room 306 in the main building and it was pure heaven. The room is huge with a grand expanse of window and balcony.

The grounds are lovely and well tended. I have often stayed at the hotel on the mainland that you can see from the north side of the island and we used to come over to the old hotel on this island before the present hotel was built. The trees were magnificent and I was so happy to see that they have managed to keep the majority of them. I always bring down about 100 US one dollar bills and so do my friends. We tip the gardeners and the guys who clean up the beach as well as the service staff in the hotel.

Now this resort is part of the principe group and so is the food. This is the same food that you eat at el Portillo and Cayacoa. The fish and the seafood are always overcooked, the beef very chewy but I have never gone hungry and I always gain weight. The one thing they really should do is enlarge the area of the outside dining. At every meal there were people either waiting in the bar area or told to eat inside. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be any sort of dress code in the dining room and some of the guests were definitely under dressed.

On the whole this is a 4 star resort with some spectacular rooms and a lovely location. I would definitely come back in November when the price of a junior suite is about $400 a week higher than GBP El Portillo but when I return to the Dominican Republic in February the price doubles and El Portillo is a far better value.and well worth waiting for.

Room Tip: The main building is fabulous and the top floors of the ocean facing villas are lovely
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest Bonnie L687:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you holidays.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

In general I like Bahia Principe Hotels, But this one it is the best!!! They made is feel like home away from home, good food, drinks, service, cleanliness and very courteous staff.

I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Bahia Principe

Dear Marcial & Yanira:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing a hotel for your holidays and for posting your experience.
In Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado we are committed to provide an excellent service through a high qualified team.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
With best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We have spent two weeks at this island paradise and after a two year wait to come due to being cancelled at gatwick in 2010 due to snow! Our expectations where very high.

We travelled as a family, my wife and 2 year old son. And without staying on the point too long as not a fault of the hotel, Thomson need to sort there service out, to fly 9 hours on a tired plane to then be transferred 4 hours is a joke. We did expect it so prepared for it best we could, but the whole thing felt a bit cheap and budget cut (no snacks on bus or organisation)

Now for the hotel/island.
This is truly a private retreat and has a great manager in Alexis, he is let down by a few members of staff (mainly the manager of the evening buffet, he is just a creep)

The island is so clean you can not fault it, you get a odd leaf in the pool and a few bits of sea debris washed up, but you should expect it as you are on a tropical island that said they do clean up litter near instantly!

The rooms are possibly some of the best we have ever seen, we had a villa in block 11 on the 2nd floor and wow! All we could see was open water and heard no noise. The only thing I will say as positive criticism is the turn down service is all over the place, we either got it at silly times, 10pm one night or we never got it. But hay it's only a box of chocolates :)

The bar selection and food is top knotch, we tried all restaurants and ended up in buffet most nights. We found it more relaxing and laid back with a small child.
The pool bars are a bit hit and miss with the waiter service but unlike the previous review I am not that lazy to walk a few steps to get a drink so didn't bother me.

Overall we have stayed in some of te best hotels an resorts in the world and think this is up there with the best.

3 points to finalise- do not go to the public beach in the day, it's not thy great and people want to sell you everything! The private beach is better, but after 6 when it is closed to public, it's great.

Some wedding parties are very noisy and loud (free alcohol and families don't mix we'll) that's not the hotels fault it's just inconsiderate people

I wish they did not have the market stalls on certain evenings as it feels a bit out of place and pushy, trying to sell you cigars and paintings.

But like I said please go and enjoy paradise

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Dfranky:

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I were at the resort from the 10th to the 18th of November. It was top notch from start to finish with pleasant staff and nice rooms. The island provided a very relaxing atmosphere and was quiet overall. The public beach was a close walk where we bartered with local vendors on all sorts of Dominican merchandise.

The beach was also very nice and clean. The trip highlight for us was the half day excursion of zip lining that was just outside of Samana. It was well worth the price.

For those with an open mind, Cayo de Levantado is a great place to get away and relax during the winter months.

NOTE* Elderly people may want to stay in suites that are away from main building so that they can go to bed at an early hour without being disturbed after 11PM.

Room Tip: Suite 5 or the main building are both nice. If you want to spend a little more, get one down by the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JTraveller77:

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Coming back from our trip we took notice that we were one of the few American couples that was at this resort and a lot of the reviews we read prior to were from people in other parts of the world. So if you are from the US this review is for you! In a nutshell before I go into detail; the staff is amazing, the rooms are very big and the location itself is top-notch. The big drawback however is the food. First thing is first, travel from SDQ takes about 2 1/2 hours IF the toll road is open! On our flight in, it took us nearly 5 hours to get to the resort and had to go through some pretty rough areas to get there. DO NOT RENT A CAR! It is not worth the savings, the roads are horrendous and people drive crazy! If the Toll Road isn't open, then good luck finding your way to the resort. I recommend booking through Tour Samana with Terry, we did this on our way back to SDQ and wish we had done the same when we got there. Clean/air-conditioned cars and the drivers speak English so you can learn about the island. Now on to the stay itself, again the staff is incredible and has a great attitude. They were the highlight of our experience. The rooms are very spacious, clean and well appointed. Definitely up to American standards for luxury resorts. The downfall in our mind is the food. All meals that fall outside the "specialty" restaurants are buffet style and the selection and overall quality of the items were sub-par. If you are thinking buffets along the lines of Bellagio or The Wynn in Vegas than don't get your hopes up. If I were you, I would book dinner in one of the restaurants EVERY night. The Don Pablo is the best restaurant on the island. My wife and I lost 10 lbs while we were here for a week, so that should tell you what we thought of most of the food offering. The drink list is very extensive and they offer a lot of top-shelf liquors that you wouldn't think are included. To be expected, the actual mixed drinks are rather weak and we had to order a shot to go along with just about every drink we had. BEWARE of the cigar vendors that are on the island, usually stationed on the patio off the main building. The Cubans they were selling were fake. The beaches and pools are beautiful and never felt overcrowded. We were able to walk down at any time of day and find a great spot to relax. It was very relaxing, so if you want a quiet vacation then this is for you as there is not a lot of activities other than sitting on the beach or by the pool.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Bahia Principe

Dear guest Dustin G:

We are very happy to read that you had a memorable stay thanks to the friendliness of our staff members, the beauty and the cleanness of our premises and facilities, and the good work of our staff. In Bahia Principe we are committed to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guest. On the other hand, I have shared your suggestions and comments with our Executive Chef, so we can work to improve our standards.
Upton,Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Returned back 11th Nov after two weeks .Had a Great time,Staff from Management to Gardeners all Brilliant,Celebrated Anniversary and Jeans Birthday there and Restraurants excelled in suprises.To many staff to personally name but all worth a special thank you.Met some lovely holiday makers ,& two Idiots.(Revenge was Sweet).Would Definately return but in February or March to see the Whales.Thank You all at Gran Bahia.

Room Tip: Main Building Top Floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alan M:

We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
With best regards,

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!