“Remote Cabo Cabron” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
McLaen VA
“Remote Cabo Cabron”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

Cabo Cabron is one of the most remote and fascinating places I have ever been. To reach it, you must first get to Playa Rincon either by boat from Las Galeras or by car or ATV along a rough road through the town of Los Tocones. Start at the mouth of the bay and cross a rickety bridge across the cold river. Then turn right and follow a crude path and up a substantial hill.

Being an avid hiker, I took the footpath and hiked for approximately a half hour into the interior. I managed to get lost once and stumbled onto the land of a local farmer. Although surprised to see me, I explained in broken Spanish that I was only trying to hike to the end of the peninsula. He took me past his farm and back on the main path. After another hour, I figured that I had hiked about 2/3 of the way to the end of the peninsula. Since I was alone and had not taken a sufficient amount of water, I turned back. However, next time I am in the area, I will try again.

As far as I know, there are no facilities on Cabo Cabron. However, in time, I foresee development coming to this area big time because of the spectacular views from on high and the gorgeous beaches. Playa Rincon, itself, is rated by Conde Nast magazine as being one of the world's best beaches and it is easy to see why with it's long coast line, azure blue waters, thousands of palm trees and surrounding mountains.