“Relieved and Happy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Premier

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Premier
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #38 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
“Relieved and Happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

After reading seriously negative reviews about the same hotel chain in La Romana, I immediately called my travel agent to rebook hotels. I was also a little antsy about staying in Bahia Principe because I've gotten accustomed to staying at the Riu hotel chain. I was pleasantly surprised.
First of all this resort was ENEROMOUS!! The beach was a good 15 minute walk from our room in "Club Premier." This bothered me at first, but then I realized its just nice exercise after over indulging in food and drinks at the bar and buffet.
The beach was PHENOMENAL...the waves were awesome. (too high for kayaking though =[, Ideal for body surfing). Spent hours in the water. I'm not much of a pool person but the pool was nice. Pool bar had 2 friendly bartenders: Geovanny and Claudio...waiter Meldy was really cool too ...gracias amigos! (anybody who says that staff isn't friendly is probably walking around with a stick up their behind)
Yes, the beach is crowded. Yes you have to get up early to reserve loungers but that didn't bother me. Yes it's difficult to get reservations for the A la carte restaurants, yes the food is mostly OK...but still tasty and i promise I was never starving.
rooms were clean and very spacious and NO ONE EVER STOLE ANYTHING (read a few comments about theft. I kept all my valuables in the safe...the $4/day safe charge did suck though).
Overall this trip was fun. I don't know what sort of luxuries people expect when they go vacationing, but if you're just going to relax and unwind, you'll be fine.

-E

• Stayed March 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Ellie,

Thank you for acknowledging Geovanny, Meldy, and Claudio who will be very happy to learn that they were able to contribute in creating a fun trip for you.

We would like to cater you once again at Dominican Republic to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Best regards,

730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I, just returned from our 7 day stay at Gran Bahia Principe. We booked our vacation through Apple Vacations with the assistance of a travel agent. This is our second stay under the Gran Bahia name (my parents recommended Gran Bahia Principe to us as they have stayed with them two additional times). Last year we traveled to Gran Bahia Principe Tulum, in Mexico. We loved our experience and knew that we couldn't go wrong staying with them at another location.

We traveled to Punta Cana via a charted flight by Apple Vacations. We highly suggest this. We all proceeded as a large group through airport security, customs, and the ground transportation to our desired resorts. We had an Apple representative riding along with us to our resort. This was extremely beneficial because we know very little spanish.

Upon arrival we were greeted by two hotel staffers where they sat us down to explain the resort layout to us and the upgrades that we were receiving being Apple Vacation clients. We had scheduled to stay at the base level "Bravaro" section of the resort. And were upgraded to the Club Premier Section. This allowed us to have access to our own pool with swim up bar, snack bar, buffet, and lobby. The premier club is a smaller section of the resort. We never had an issue finding lounge chairs at the pool and tables in the bar / lobby. If you need any help ask for Pedro, he helped us with our a la carte reservations and our in room safe while waiting for our room to be ready upon arrival.

We would recommend the Japanese and Italian restaurant and would suggest passing on the French. Over all surface was slower than expected at all a la carte and buffet meals but we didn't let it bother us, I mean we are on vacation to sit back, relax, and live the slow life :)

We had beautiful weather. I do believe that it rained every night, but the clouds always broke up before 10:30am. We did however, have one day that was overcast with rain on and off. We spent our afternoon in the Premier Club lobby drinking, playing games (provided by the hotel), and listening to music.

We also went on one excursion from which we booked through Apple Vacations (pay for your excursion ahead of time and you get a discount, we selected the date after arriving at the resort). We went on the full day "Outback Safari" excursion. We loved it!!

Over all we would suggest this resort to friends and family. Keep and open mind and relax. The resort is large and people are every where and it takes a few minutes to get to where you are going but thats the glory of a large resort, there is lots of places to explore, people to talk to, and memories to make.

Also, props to Miguel and Julio at the Premier swim up bar for never letting my drink get empty. They would make us drinks without us having to ask.

Room Tip: We did our research before arriving to the resort so we felt comfortable with the resort grounds. We...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Kev,

It is an honor to read that you loved your experience. Pedro, Miguel and Julio, will be delighted with your wonderful comments. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

We are looking forward to welcome once again at Grand Bahia Principe Premier and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had multiple issues with this hotel. It seems like everyday we encountered something. The room was fairly nice but our housekeeper had issues keeping towels in our room and re-stocking our mini bar. When we arrived, we only had one beach towel in our room and had to go to the front desk to request another. The woman at the front desk treated us like we were lying and was reluctant to even give us another towel!! We had to call and request towels almost daily because after our room was cleaned, our maid would take the towels and not replace them. Our minibar was empty as well and we had to call and request that beverages be replenished in it.
When we checked in, the individual that gave us our instructions had a hard time explaining the process to us in English. After a day or so of frustration, we were finally able to figure out that the restaurant we thought was our buffet, was an al a carte only restaurant. The people there were not friendly and screamed at us that we could not eat there. When we tried to make dinner reservations for our four nights of dining, all of the restaurants were booked until 9 or 10 at night. We would walk by them at our desired dinner time, around 7:30, and see that there were multiple empty tables. . .yet we could not eat at that time. Needless to say, to our EXTREME disappointment, we didn't make ONE SINGLE dinner reservation and were forced to eat the buffet the entire time. Who eats dinner at 9:30 and 10pm at night?!?!?
The spa experience was nice except when I had an exfoliating body treatment and was taken to the shower area to rinse off before my massage and there was a male working on the women's shower. He was not asked to leave, nor did he excuse himself while I was in there. When I entered the shower area, I had nothing but a towel on. I found this EXTREMELY inappropriate and my husband was upset by the incident as well. This resort has a lot to work on in the area of customer service!!!
There were numerous other occurrences and I could continue to go on but I do not feel that it will do any good. I can say one positive thing, the pool staff in the Premier area are wonderful, as well as the bar staff. They were extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure people were having a good time. We loved the entertainment staff in the Premier lobby in the evenings as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristen,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your last stay with us. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects you find worth to mention, especially our pool, bar, and entertainment staff.

Kindest regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a good resort. There are many sections and I stayed in the 'Premier' area. They took me on a tour of the Esmerelda section and gave me free certificates for my choice of gifts such as massages, or helicopter rides etc... for the hour and a bit of them trying to sell me a time share which I opted out of after finding out it was 10 grand lol. The resort itself is starting to show it's age but they are constantly working on it trying to keep it up (a bit annoying at times as they do loud work at night close to your room) The only problem I had with my room was the shower had a door which was stationary and only covered half the tub so water always ended up on the floor, no big deal just kept a towel down there to soak it up. The tub had a jacuzzi in it also. The bathroom was a nice size (fairly large). The tv in the room was a small 19" CRT (old type) but i never spent a lot of time watching it. I was just outside the premier pool but a long way (the furthest) from the beach but there was diesel powered golf cart personal carriers giving rides constantly so it was no problem if you didn't want to walk. it was no problem to get a beach chair by the pool or on the beach. The staff was fairly friendly and they had a good selection of stores there to buy stuff. They also had a nice large theatre with good entertainment. I would go back there but would stay in one of the areas closer to the beach next time. They even have an adult only section. You can only have 3 meals per week at the a la carte restaurants which I though was

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor, which we will take in the highest consideration.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, Golden Club, or Hacienda Club, which rooms are located near the beach.

Regards from the Caribbean!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our 6th stay at the hotel. We love the beautiful beach with all of the activities and sun and fun. We stayed at the Premier and loved the pool and closeness to the food,shows casino etc. The vans were always great taking us to restaurants and the beach. We checked in with Carlos at the bavaro and he did over and above to make sure we had the room we preferred. We were very impressed with Nicole and her true interest in making our visit perfect-we had met her on previous trips. My only problem was the lighting being dim in the bathroom. This place was so clean on every visit and the staff are wonderful. We speak no other language than English, but most employees understood our requests-especially the front desk personnel. There are a few occasions we had language problems, but we always managed to communicate. We have been many places in Mexico and Punta Cana, but to us this is our favorite-we look forward to our next visit,The airport was really crowded this visit and it took forever, but we usually go earlier in Feb. we were there during spring break

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Nancy,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you consider us as your favorite Resort. Carlos and Nicole will really appreciate your nice comments.

As a repeater client your opinion represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Looking forward to your 7th visit!

Kindest regards,

Carleton Place, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mother and I went on a two week vacation to the Gran Bahia Principe from February 27th-March 13th. Our family friend had recommended this hotel to us. We had stayed at the Premier and our vacation COULD NOT have been ANY better.
The beach was absolutely breath taking. Keep in mind , there are 4 different hotels on this resort and there was ALWAYS enough room on the beach for everyone. And ALWAYS enough beach chairs to go around. If you wanted a quick snack, there was a small buffet right beside the beach with quite a few options like Salad, spaghetti ,burgers, fries, chicken..etc
In the Premier lobby, there was entertainment every night at 8:00. The three young men Joaquin, Alexis and Carlos kept EVERYONE from ALL ages entertained with dancing and fun little games. Joaquin, Alexis and Carlos also worked at the Premier pool from 10:00 am until 5:30pm everyday. They kept everyone very well entertained ,again, from ALL ages with music, volleyball, bingo, darts, water polo etc.
We frequently spoke with the lady Grey at the front desk at our premier lobby. She made things very easy for us and kept us topped up with information. She took very good care of us.
These four staff members made our stay very enjoyable. They are like family to us.

Our room was very well kept by the maid. She kept things just the way we liked it.
I could go on and on about this resort. Our stay could not have been any better.
we met so many amazing people and am looking forward to staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Premier again in the future.

Debbra and Tosha

Room Tip: Premier is the best section to have your stay at its finest
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbra and Tosha,

It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed an amazing mother-daughter vacation. Joaquin, Alexis and Carlos with their entertainment, and Grey, with her care, will be proud of their effort in providing you and your mother an awesome experience.

All your family at Grand Bahia Principe Premier is looking forward to seeing you soon in the near future!

Regards from Punta Cana,

Troy,Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Check-in:
No problems until we tried to change our room from a King bed to 2 doubles.
Returned to the front desk to incounter a very Rude Virginia. We were told we should return the next day EXACTLY at 1pm and they would change our rooms. We are 4 women friends that travel every year for a week of relaxation. They did have us in adjoining rooms as we requested rooms together.
We agreed on having a roll-away bed to be delivered for 1 night.
We locked our money & passports in the safe,made sure the patio door was locked and left for dinner. When we returned to Rms 49108/49109 (Premier Section) we saw that the bed was setup. Our friend immediately noticed that her Laptop computer was GONE from her bag. We then also realized that our purses were not in our room. I went thru my luggage to find that my
camera & cell phone charger was gone. Our purses had been taken to our friends room & had been RANSACKED along with theirs. Our friend had forgotten to lock up her Jewelry & of course they had taken the only the expensive jewelry. We always lock our valuables in the safe but because we didn't unpack we forgot a few things. I do feel it is crazy that they charge $4/day for use of the safe (Most resorts do not). We wasted 3 days of meetings with Security & Management over the THEFT with NO Compensation given. They could not prove that the evening maid "Carmalista" stole our items. But we are sure that she had something to do with it.
I must say that the next day we were moved to rooms(dbls) right outside the pool as I requested in an email that was sent weeks before our arrival. Virginia was more pleasant the next day too. (Of course I'm sure they all heard about the THEFT)

Food:
Buffet's are very good (you shouldn't have any trouble finding something you will like).
I loved the cookies that are by the ice cream.
Japanese ala carte is GREAT! Stay away from the "French".
We had reservations on Feb 25th @ 9pm. When we arrived we handed the matreD' our ticket, He tossed it back to us & said "Man Yana". He didn't have our reservation. We showed 3 other people in line & they agreed it was for the 25th. He still would NOT seat us even though there were at least 10 empty tables. He called Guest services & "Maria" got on the phone with my friend and proceeded to scream at her and then hung up on her. All my friend kept saying was for her to "calm down" This was unacceptable in my opinion. They finally decided to seat us. We tried to enjoy our dinner but it wasn't very good. Tasted like the entree's had been sitting in a warming tray for hours.
We still tipped as we continued to do throughout our trip. We always appreciate the hard work that the employees do to make our vacation pleasant.

Swimup Bar:
Lionel is a Wonderful employee. Always pleasant and always with a smile!! He deserves a raise. Drinks are good.

Pool:
Very nice pool. Clean & plenty of loungers & shade if you need it. They have a kiosk setup for you to buy floats & sunscreen. The young Man there helped us inflate our floats. Very nice of him.

Beach:
Beautiful! Lots of Loungers but they are so close together that I wouldn't feel comfortable there.
This resort is HUGE!! It is unfortunate that the 5 sections of this resort are not along the beach like alot of other resorts in Punta Cana. This resort goes inland instead. We booked into the Bavaro section but were placed in the Premier which is the furthest from the beach.

Casino:
Pretty small & we were not lucky this year. LOL.
One complaint is the females working the floor are out of line.
My friends slot went into a bonus and one of them actually tried to push the buttons for her. Of course she pushed her hands away.

Rooms:
Very spacious & clean. Our pillows were quite disgusting. They seemed like they may have been washed too many times throughout the years. They were balls of foam. I guess we should have called for new ones. Bathrooms were nice. Magnified make-up mirror was nice. Be careful getting in & out of tubs. Also showers didn't have much water pressure at dinner time. It may of been worse because we were on the 3rd floor. If you need a washcloth make sure you bring them from home as we only got them twice in a week. This happens at alot of resorts so we do bring our own. They did have robes & slippers in our room but not our friends so I guess you could request them if you need them.

Also we had a Power Outtage in the Premier section for a couple hours 1 night. We couldn't lock our safe so we had to carry all our valuables(what was left) with us. Also when the power went out so did the water so if you hadn't taken a shower you couldn't take one.

I am sorry to say I would NOT recommend this resort. Mainly due to the size & of course due to the THEFT we incurred.
If you have booked this hotel please make sure you LOCK UP YOUR VALUABLES!!!
We have stayed at other Punta Cana hotels & really enjoy Punta Cana.
If you have any questions I will try to be of help.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rms 40209 & 40309 Premier section of Bavaro(Apple Vacations rooms) Right by the Po...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your last stay with us.

For your information we follow a strict control of all incidents reported, and in this particular case, we can assure that we had implemented all the security procedures established by our headquarters. Additionally, please note that we assure we take all security measures to avoid this situation.

Besides, the hotel is available to the customer at all times and provides the necessary assistance to report situations or facts as that, and scaled them to the relevant authorities of the country.

For complete safeness for our customers, we recommend the use of safes available in all rooms to deposit their valuables.

Kind regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Premier? Share your experiences!