“NEVER AGAIN !!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa

You added Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda-Macao, Seccion Baigua-Higuey | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #41 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Dearborn, Michigan
“NEVER AGAIN !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Myself and three of my girlfriends headed to Punta Cana on Feb 23rd for 7 days. This was our 12th annual girlfriend get a way. (this is our 3rd trip to the D.R. and the second stay at this resort. We arrived at check in and received our room keys from our Apple Vacations Rep. When we got into our rooms we found that one of the rooms had a king bed which we did not request. We had requested 2 beds in two rooms. They did accommodate us in giving us ajoining rooms as we did request rooms near each other. We proceded to the lobby and requested that this be corrected and they said that they would TRY and move us to new rooms the following day; they said that the resort was filled. (it was not). They said that they would send a roll away bed in for the night. We agreed to that, got back in our rooms, placed our money, passports, and valuables in the safe and went to dinner. When we returned to our room approx. 2 hrs later, the rollaway bed was in our room but we found that our room had been ransacked. A laptop, camera, and jewelry that was on the bottom of one of the suitcases was gone. (they only took the valuable pieces) Whover entered our room was in the process on taking more items as several items were moved from one room to the other and placed in a large bag. We proceeded to call Security and a Manager who came to our rooms. We also requested that the maid who delivered the bed come as well. We spent three days going back and forth with Management and Security as a report was needed as the lap top was one of my friends work computer and too large to fit into the room safe. Management even insinuated that we were trying to scam them and had lied about the robbery. We never did receive and of our items back.

We also had a power outage one night which is understandable as the resort is so huge.

The ala carte restaurants were good with the exception of the French restaurant. (not good at all) Perhaps this was due to the mix up on our reservation that evening. We had a receipt that stated reservations for 2/25 at 9PM (the last seating for the night). They said that the computer print off reflected a 2/26 reservation. They would not seat us until we called the main customer service desk where we had made the reservation. This person (Maria) actually hung up on us after screaming and insited that the reservation was for 2/26. . What was funny about this was that again it was the last seating of the night and there were at least 10 empty tables.

We have traveled to Mexico and are not "Ugly Americans". We "always" tip generously and we continued to on this trip. We are cordial and don't expect to be treated like princesses. We treat people with respect and expect the same treatment.

We have always felt safe on the places that we traveled to. This trip was such a let down. Management did send us to the Premier Restaurant which was very nice. After the break in they did move us to two rooms with two beds. We are fine eating at the places which we paid for in our travel package. We just wish the Staff would have respected our property. We want to vacation at a place where we feel "safe". We will not be returning to this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments in regards to your experience during your last stay with us.

We would like to ask you to consider that it is not possible for us to establish responsibilities for any values left out of the Safety Deposit Box. Please be advice that our Security Department operates 24/7, in order to guarantee the security and well-being of our distinguished customers.

Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, because your opinion is one of our top priorities and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us. For this reason, we really hope to consider coming back to this Caribbean paradise in the Dominican Republic and enjoy all facilities and services.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Firstly, I would like to say that my overall trip was very enjoyable.
However, there were some things that could be better in order for this to be a perfect 10/10 trip.
Thus, I will give this trip a score of 7.5/10. I will go through my whole trip so that when choosing your hotel,
you can decide if this is the resort for you.

Upon arrival:
Upon arriving to the resort, there was very little direction on where to eat after getting to your room and very little direction on the location of things on this very large resort.
When I arrived at my room, my key card did not work and so the bus boy dropped me off at the Bavaro Premier lobby, without telling me that there were multiple lobbies I could use at the resort. So I walked all the way back to the main Bavaro lobby thinking the bus boy just dropped me off at the wrong place. After resetting my key we got organized in our room and went searching for food. We were turned away from one buffet, without explanation that we only go for the Bavaro Premier buffet. When finally locating the Bavaro Premier buffet, it was closed, so we had to wait about 20 minutes until it opened (we were starving from the trip down).
Finally the buffet opened and we were welcomed in. The lady provided us some hand sanitizer, which I was impressed with.
The food was good, however, our waiter did not provide us with a list of drink options to have but we figured out the options on our own later that meal.
Later that evening, we attended the Micheal Jackson show, which I definately RECOMMEND and it was also recommended to us by a friend who had gone to this resort. The show was excellent, as was the majority of the entertainment at this resort.

After the first day, we felt that our Sun Quest representative clarified some our of questions and concerns we had and our trip improved.

Meals:
We prebooked our a la carts via email with the resort prior to the trip and went to the Japanese Restaurant, the Italian Restaurant (on valentine's day) and the Spanish Restaurant.
The Japanese Restaurant was EXCELLENT. They cooked the food in front of you and put on show. The waiter spoke in 3 different languages as there were 2 couples that were french at our station. The food was cooked well and the presentation was good. All food was served to you at this a la cart, which I enjoyed.
The Italian restaurant was very nice and my food was great. I ordered steak. Our waiter was also hilarious! He was a young gentleman and we tipped him for his excellent service. My only complaint about the Italian restaurant was that the salad bar was buffet style and they did not have cesar salad as an option that night. I feel that a la carts meals should be served to you like most restaurants are.
The spanish restaurant was not good at all. I would not recommend it. The roast suckling pig was fatty and gross. My girlfriend also ordered it and the pig still had hair on it.
This restaurant also had buffet style soup and salad as well. The food at the buffet was good but still not what I would expect when going to an a la cart.
The snack bar at the Bavaro Premier was excellent. The food was great and service was good. They have trouble with order modifications (ie no lettuce on a sandwich or no fries) due to their english but other than that it was great. Though this snack bar is by the pool, you must wear a shirt and shorts.
The snack bar at the beach was less formal, allowing swim shorts. This snack bar was buffet style and was open late.
The buffet had something for everyone every night. The themed nights were great and allowed for a change. On the Dominican Night they had full lobsters and steak, which I recommend. Most food was cooked well, though some was cold if you go late, as expected with buffets. If going at certain times, the place can be very crowded, however the buffet is open for a long period of time.

Entertainment:
The entertainment receives a 9.5/10. It was great almost every night. The dancing was great and so was the acting. Micheal Jackson was my favourite musical show but the disney shows (Lion King and Disney's Princess) were a close second. The Oscar show was third. The circus was also fantastic and I definately recommend.
The enterainment at the main stages were very interactive. They also had entertainment at the pools and the beach throughout the day.

Shopping:
There is lots of shopping at this resort. You will likely not need to leave the resort to go shopping.
You can haggle with some of the stores, which I like. I was able to get some good deals.
They also sold chips, drinks, tampons, sun screen, etc. if you run out.
However, I DO NOT like the sales people in the market square. They are absolutely annoying, pushing and made me dread going there.
I do not mind assistance if I am interested in shopping at your kiosk but if I am walking by do not bother me. There are only so many times I could turn them down or explain to them I was not interested at that time.

Bars:
There were drinks everywhere and they offered "drinks of the day".
Depending on the bar tender, the drinks ranged from very great to waay too strong.
I liked the drinks. I also usually enjoyed the drink of the day, however, they often would not make that drink after that day, which was unfortunate if you fall in love with a drink.
The swim up bars were great with quick service, while lounging in the pool.

Transportation:
The busses were good from the main Bavaro lobby and from the beach but otherwise, they were time consuming and it was quicker to walk.
In fact, I felt that I would wait about 30 minutes for a bus from the Bavaro Premier. I feel there needs to be more busses from the Bavaro Premier area.

Watersports:
They never offered us these and our SunQuest rep never mentioned the 1 hour free per day. Also, there generally was a long wait for water activities, so we did not do any.
If you have kids, there was also a kids water park.
We did do two excusions off the resort, both which I found very enjoyable.

Sports:
We played mini golf and paid for the bungie trampoline. Both were fun. Some of the mini golf holes were a little off the wall though.
We explored the other free sports but didn't play any others.

The Beach:
The beach was clean and large. However, on very busy days, there were not enough chairs and it can be difficult to find one.
The water was nice and warm but on windy days it can be VERY WAVY. No one mentioned this to us and I would like people to keep that in mind if they have children.
It was less windy at our tropical destinations we have been to. The beach also faces a half sunken ship which was nice to have in the background for photo shoots.

The pools:
The pools were nice and clean. Bavaro Premier had two private locations, one jacuzzi pool and a pool with a pool bar. The jacuzzi was nice but it kept turning off periodically. It also could be a little chilly some days. However, the area was very quiet and relaxing. The pool was nice too and it was nice to have the swim up pool bar.

Bahia Spas:
My girlfriend was slightly interested but after finding out the prices decided against it. The spas were located in busy, loud areas, the prices were more than North American prices for qualified, registered massage therapists, and they didn't offer anything special. They also charge the spas too your room.

Valentine's Day:
The resort was beautifully decorated for Valentine's Day, had special shows, and had our room specially decorated with rose pedals and hearts.
I appreciated the recognition of the holiday. This made our trip extra special.

The room:
The room was very large and the bathroom was beautiful. The second day we stayed, the maid decorated our room with flowers and made it look very nice.
However, she did not do this every day, even if we tipped. The bed was outdated and uncomfortable but sleepable. The pillows on the bed were nice. The tv is an old tube tv and our remote did not work properly. Nor did our friend's.
There was no internet in the rooms unless you paid for it, which we were aware of. However, they do have internet in the lobbies.
They also do not have face cloths so if you use them, bring your own. We also had to call down on a few occasions due to either the maid not changing our towels, even though they were put on the floor, or the fridge not being restocked daily, etc. The balcony was big and the room was air conditioned.

In closing, I enjoyed my trip. I would only recommend this resort if you are in a quiet location closer to the beach or do not mind walking lots or prefer to sit by the pool. The resort was absolutely beautiful (landscape, buildings and beach). The people are friendly and hospitable.
Thank you for the great hospitality Bahia Principe Staff!

Room Tip: Rooms in Bavaro Premier are quiet but far away from the beach. If you do not mind walking or want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Thanks you for highlighting our excellent Japanese Restaurant, nice Italian Restaurant, great entertainment, clean rooms, and hospitable staff.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Resort and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was my second time with Bahia Principe and maybe the last in Dominican Republic. The first time my wife and I went in Gran Bahia Principe Akumal in Mexic. It was really a wonderful trip. We wanted to return in another Gran Bahia Principe and we choose Dominican Republic (Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier). It's the last time we go in Gran Bahia Principe. First of all, before you come in here, be patient, because when you need an answer and you go to the front desk, it can take up to 15 minutes to have an answer for a simple question. Secondly, the restaurant reservations is a joke. They say that they have no place until 9 pm even if you are with a kid and when you show up at 7 pm just to try, the restaurant is half empty. We tried it a the Mikado restaurant, and they gave us a table "A la carte" instead of the Japanese food show. The more frustrating, is that there was enough place to sit all us 5, because there were only 7 people around the table where the chef do his show (12 people per table). When the spring rolls came, the center was completely frozen! They came back with hotter ones but it was still cold and the crust half burnt! Mikado is not recommended. The French restaurant was surprisingly good. What surprised me the most was the attitude of the personnel. It's a big difference from Mexican, the latter being so warm people. The communication is often very hard, employees nearly speaking barely English, sometimes French (I’m a French Canadian). Our maid was kind of playing with us. I was asking her something and I was literally doing the mimic to tell her that there was a little lizard in our room and we told her "iguana" and she never get it. We solve the problem by ourselves. We don't understand why they don't put the comforter back on the bed when the clean the room. The air conditioner is not working well in many rooms while in other rooms, it is so cold and smelling humidity (damp). We were able to compare because my friend was in the part near the beach in the Hacienda area. We wanted to change room in the same building (we were in Bavaro Premier), and it was 15$/day per person and 7$/day per child to be in the same building as our friends. The fact is that the room are identical, we don't get why we would have to pay that charge for the same thing except being near the beach. The MOST annoying thing and why I would not come back here again, it's because of the SMOKERS. They are EVERYWHERE! They smoke on the beach, around the pool, in the lobby and it was quite annoying. You can't walk 1 minute without smelling cigarettes. If you are a Canadian and use not to breath smoke because you can't do it in any public place and you don't like cigarette, DON'T come in Bahia Principe, cause you will be literally pissed off. The food was generally good, the buffet offers good variety from day to day. I don't know who did the architecture of the bathrooms, but when you take a shower, the quarter of the water goes on the floor, especially if you live on the first floor where the shower pressure is stronger. By the way, I was also disappointed by some work conditions some employees are under. A big resort like this (GRAN BAHIA) should respect more their employees and give them more respectful conditions and salary. For example, when we were there, some employees where redoing a part of the stairs and the guy had only a hammer and a chisel trying to break the concrete all day. That was ridiculous. If it's the way the big boss of Gran Bahia treat their employees, I will not encourage those Gran Bahia anymore. The beach is great. The towel system is ridiculous. They ask you for your cards to get towels, but some people don't need cards to have some. They should use a rule for everyone to avoid confusion. The exhaust of the buses you use to go from one place to another are not the most interesting to smell. In Mexic there were more electric ones (buses), which was quite better. Overall, it was a nice trip, but considering all those negative points, I will not recommend it to my relatives in Canada.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Regarding your comments about our staff let us inform you that we constantly monitor our employees through our Human Resources Department, as well as the Bahia Principe Quality Department, in order to ensure that we are providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

Your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness and attentiveness.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. Please allow us to inform you that most of our employees have good knowledge on many languages, such as English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian and so on. However, please be reminded that Spanish is our mother tongue and our knowledge and/or pronunciation of a foreign language might not be perfect.

Concerning your observations about your e a la carte experience, we would like to let you know that, due to internal policies and operational reasons, dinner reservations are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from the DR. My parents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. All 7 of my brothers and sisters and all the in-laws (16 of us in all) enjoyed 6 days here from Feb 12-Feb 18 2013. Many of my family had never traveled outside the US. This experience has sparked the interest in more international travels. My husband, for example, was scared to leave the USA.. Now he wants to plan trips all over the world. That is no small miracle, let me assure you. He felt very safe. And the friendliness of the staff helped dispel the myth that the world is a scary place. :-)
The hotel grounds were immense but the trolleys were always there when we needed a ride. We were in the Premier section, with our own pool and lobby. We enjoyed the swim up bar, water volleyball, and water aerobics. One of my sisters had trouble with the air conditioner in their room but the staff was there to fix it in 5 minutes. The grounds, beach, rooms, and buffets were always very clean. The staff was always friendly and had enough English to communicate with us. They were grateful if you even tried to speak a little Spanish. Even Hello, Good Day and Thank you were enough to get a smile from the staff.
I would recommend emailing 7 days before your trip to make reservations at the a-la-carte restaurants. We enjoyed the Barbacoa, and the Dominican. We tried the Mediterranean as well. The Lobster lasagna was very good, but the lobster casserole was not. The buffet provided a wide variety of foods and all were quite good. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast omelet bar. You can chose your own ingredients and they cook it up right there in front of you. But like my Mom always says "If I don't have to cook it or clean it up, Its got to be GREAT". The staff was always quick to remove our empty plates. We enjoyed the a-la-carte's mostly because we had 2 large tables for 8 and we could sit there together and enjoy some conversation and laughs, without the busyness of the buffet. The beach = WOW. Powder sand. Beautiful trees. Always shade to be found if you were a little sun burnt from the day before.
Excursions: We did the Extreme Buggy 1/2 day. Dune buggies that hold 4 people each. We had to line it up a week before because of the size of our group. Lots of FUN! they provide goggles to keep the mud out of your eyes. Suggestion : wear clothes that you can throw away after. You will get muddy (that half the fun), and bring a bandanna to cover your mouth and nose. Lots of dirt.
Canopy tour zip-line. The ride into the mountains is almost as entertaining as the zip-lining. It is quite the 4 wheel drive trail. Zip-line is a double cable and with other safety equipment. Friendly staff. It is quite a hike on uneven ground. And they keep you moving at a pretty good pace. Even though i'm not real comfortable with heights, I did not feel unsafe.
My advise ;
Bring lots of small bills, Tips are included but the country is poor and 2 dollars a day for the maid and maybe one or 2 dollars for the people at the restaurants and bars is greatly appreciated. Don't worry about exchanging $ for pesos. They prefer to deal in dollars.
2 excursions in a 6 day stay was about right. Don't schedule too many or you wont have time to enjoy all the things that the hotel has to offer.
Night time shows- Circus was entertaining.We all enjoyed that one.
Legends- was not family friendly. Full-Monty stuff. We walked out as soon as the guys dressed in police uniforms came out and started dancing.
You also need to be aware that at the beach you will see topless ladies. But not many. I think we saw 3 over the 6 days we went to the beach.
All-in-all we would return to this hotel and the DR. It exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting the good aspects, such as clean grounds, beach, rooms, buffets, and friendly staff. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

It’s very satisfying to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to have the pleasure to cater the 16 of you once again to continue demonstrating you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed at Premier Feb 11 to 18th 2013. I would recommend it. The pool was a lot of fun - activities were going on all the time. Leonel at the swim up bar gave us great service. The Premier buffet is smaller but not as crowded and the food is excellent. Buffet staff were also great. On the whole I would say all the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. Our room was situated close to the pool / buffet and lobby - it was nice being handy to everything. Only downside was noise at night from the band and entertainment at the Pueblo Principe situated nearby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Client,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our Grand Bahia Principe Premier staff, especially to Leonel.

Regards from Bavaro!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The resort was huge! It was beautiful and the rooms were huge. I went with 45 family members for a wedding. We all had a great time. The place was very clean and the staff was amazing. The pools were great. 3 of the staff members, Jaoqin, Espagueti, and Alexis, made the trip so much fun. I recommend this place to anyone. And I will be going back soon.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for highlighting our beautiful premises, huge rooms, and amazing staff. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forwarded to Joaqin, Espagueti, and Alexis.

We are very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

we were in the club premier section block 40,close to pool,plus our own lobby,bar and sitting area.had a great waitress we met her name is Inosecia,when we came in to lounge she had our drinks already on their way to us,she is the BEST.our room was great king bed balcony hot water for shower all day every day cool air in room no problem.10 min walk to beach or 3 min trolley ride we did both which was fine,beach is fine,yes get there @ 7:00am to save chairs as it get full quick,breakfast at beach mostly as we had our own buffet 1min from our room,pool was great by the room as was the pool swimup bar as was bartender MANUAEL he was GREAT.great activites at all pools as we went to them all,2 pools in middle of resort not as busy and have poolbars,resturants are good japnese best,mexican bad,did 2 trips,boogie buggies/saona island great trip for 10 days,all people that work here are great,grounds people and up,lots of shops on site also fridays vendors come in lots of good items for sale.shows at night very busy and entertaining lots to do and see great beach for walking,this resort is right in front of shipwreck,water is GREAT,would go again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Premier Hotel . We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness of our staff members, especially because Inocencia and Manuel. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to them.

We appreciate guest comments and suggestions, now that is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa? Share your experiences!