First of all, I'm extremely late writing this review. My husband and I travelled to Punta Cana July 7 - 13, 2012 and met another couple there that we travel with each summer. We arrived at PUJ airport early in the morning and made it to the resort (small city) well before check-in. We booked our trip through CheapCaribbean.com and had no issues with airport transfers. We were, however, completely confused regarding which section of the resort in which we were staying. We had reserved our room for the Bavaro section of the hotel, but had selected a Premier room, because we were under the impression it was closer to the beach, and we checked in at the Bavaro Lobby. All of our paperwork from CheapCaribbean.com said Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro. We were then given our room assignments and bracelets for the Premier Club. We didn't notice this until we tried to find a place to eat lunch. We were turned away from restaurant after restaurant and told we could only eat at the "Premier Buffet". After being given bogus directions multiple times (from both patrons and staff) on how to find this buffet, we finally found it on our own. It was very close to the Premier Pool and our room, so this was convenient, but we were exhausted after just trying to find a place to eat lunch.
Once we were allowed to enter our rooms, we were very pleased with the size and quality of the rooms. We had requested to be near our friends' room and were graciously accommodated, only one other room in between us.
I'll start with the Pros:
1. There were plenty of options for food and entertainment. We made restaurant reservations online a few weeks prior to the trip, and we ended up eating at 4 of the ala carte restaurants. By far, the Japanese restaurant was our favorite.
2. The rooms were very comfortable and air conditioner worked well.
3. The pool bar was amazing, we especially enjoyed the hospitality and drinks prepared by Miguel.
4. There was free wifi that worked well in the lobby.
5. Maid service was excellent and drinks were restocked in refrigerator daily.
6. Grounds are breathtakingly beautiful.
1. Resort is entirely too large for my taste. I was prepared from reading other reviews, but I was under the impression we could hop on a tram and traverse the resort easily. This was not the case. The trams were most always full, so we ended up walking a lot!
2. The beach is nice, but there was always a lot of seaweed and we had a difficult time finding beach chairs. We also had our chairs taken from us several times while we were in the water! We ended up spending most of our time in the pool, which is something we could have done here at home.
3. There are very few Americans or Canadians at this resort, and we found it difficult communicating with guests and staff, and I even speak Spanish.
4. I ended up getting sick on days 3 thru 6 and one other person in our group also fell ill. We had visited Punta Cana the year before and stayed at Majestic Colonial, and none of us got sick there.
5. The men in our group signed up to receive our free welcome gift, which ended up being a 1/2 day timeshare presentation. They specifically asked if thi as was going to be a timeshare presentation and were told no. This was upsetting, because we did not want to spend 1/2 of a day listening to this.
6. We were denied entry into the buffet one day for lunch, because we were told we were too wet. We had all changed out of our swimsuits, so we were definitely confused by this, but left anyway.
7. There is a charge for the safety deposit box in the rooms, which we were aware of prior to booking. This is the first AI resort where we have been requred to pay for this. In my opinion, this should be standard.
We will definitely not be going back to this resort anytime soon or to Punta Cana for that matter. The stomach issues we had, along with the tales of many other travellers experiencing the same, will prevent us from visiting the Dominican Republic again. It is far too risky. We have travelled to multiple places in Mexico and Jamaica and have never had stomach illnesses there, so we will stick to those destinations instead.
If you are not afraid of getting sick, and you like the options provided by a massive resort (small city), then this is the place for you. Otherwise, I recommend Majestic Colonial or Elegance instead.
If you can afford it, stay in the Anbar or Esmerelda sections.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.
First of all we would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay. Please be assured your comments have been forwarded to the General Manager and will be taken into the highest consideration.
Regarding your comments about the food in our resort, we must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires
We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at The Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any misperception you may have about us.
Social Media Coordinator
Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.