“First Time Visitor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Premier

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Premier to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Premier
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda-Macao, Seccion Baigua-Higuey | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #38 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Riverdale, Georgia, United States
“First Time Visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The resort was very nice and clean, employees were very friendly. Disappointed in the beach and food service. All inclusive does not have the same meaning at this resort. We were not allowed to go to any restaurant that we wanted to. By the time we figured out the system, we were only allowed to dine at one of the other restaurants outside of our designated buffet place. This should of been explained to us during the check in process. Otherwise we enjoyed everything else that we experienced.

Room Tip: Premier is very far from the beach, closer to the front of the resort. They were very quiet rooms t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mrs. Simone,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen us as your last holiday destination.

I would also like to thank you for your comments, positive and negative ones as well, because the only way to improved and become better day by day is receiving your feedback, the most important and helpful tool for us.
I will make sure myself that all the departments involved and everybody at Club Premier knows about your comments in order to improved.

I really hope that there are many other visits yet to come and that we will have the opportunity to meet us.

Yours faithfully,

Club Premier Management.

754 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Let me start by saying that this was our 4th year in a row and the most special because this was our sons 1st year and we chose to celebrate it with the Gran Bahia Family, our expectation was for this year to be the best of all and it wasn’t. First of all the reservation was made for BAHIA PRINCIPE BAVARO and they located us on BAHIA PRINCIPE PREMIER which is the farthest building from the beach and main locations. The tv and the telephone didn't work for 3 days in all 4 rooms, 1 shower was broken and the transportation only showed when we called. We complained many times after waiting for our problems to be resolved and there was never even a courtesy toward us. The 1st and the 2nd years were great and we were located in the diamond section which is one of the best locations on the entire resort. I cannot imagine what is going to be like next year, and I don't think we will be going back. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS NOT CHANGED IS THE STAFF WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND WAS VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL, I WANT TO THANK THESE GREAT FRIENDS: BRAULIO(LAS DALIAS RESTAURANT), RICHARD(GARDEN GRILL RESTAURANT), INGRID(PREMIER LOBBY BAR), ENRIQUE(BEACH POOL BAR), JUAN CARLOS(LE GOURMET), MIGUEL(PREMIER POOL BAR), JULIANA AND REINA(BUILDING 44 HOUSE KEEPERS), THOMAS(GARDEN GRILL POOL), JUNIOR(GARDEN GRILL POOL ANIMATION STAFF), IRIS(PUNTA CANA BUFFET), MANUEL(PUNTA CANA LOBBY BAR-BEEN THERE FOR YEARS AND ITS GREAT GUY) and many more that I cant remember their names.

Room Tip: try to stay in the diamond section of the bavaro or punta cana resort try to stay away from the prim...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director General at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Mr. Elwilfred18,

Receive warm greetings from the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from the Management of Club Premier.

We hope this mail finds you very well. First of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen our Gran Bahia Principe Club Premier as your holiday destination.
In the same way, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have explained on the Trip Advisor comment.

We are very sorry and sincerely hope that this situation has not tarnished the memories of your vacations with us. Please be sure that next time we will be extremely attentive and we will make sure to fulfill your expectations with our services and facilities and the hospitality of our people.

We also would like to take the opportunity to put ourselves at your disposal, please do not hesitate on contacting us directly for your next visit once you have your booking information, so we can prepare in advance all the details of your stay.

My Best Regards,

Manager GBP Club Premier
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Everything about this resort was absolutely great except for the size and location of the beach.

The beach was way to far away from the Premier part of the resort and to make matters worse our room was the furthest possible room from the beach on the whole entire complex!

The beach was far to small for the number of guests. I have travelled to many many beaches and although beautiful, this one was by far the most crowded one I have ever seen. The chairs were lined up in rows side by side along the full width of the (common area) beach to the point that you couldn't really move or have any privacy. If you were a few rows back from the waterfront it wasn't possible to have a clear view of the water at times.

The part of the beach that seemed to belong to Esmerelda and Ambar was roped off from the main area in the centre. Those restricted areas were representative of what I am usually accustomed to at most places I've been but at not extra charge. If you are a beach lover this is not the place for you.

Now - having said all of that regarding the beach I must tell you that the rest of the place was great. The accomodations, the food choices and quality of food, the amenities in the room, all of it was perfect and more. I felt that this chain of resorts has the business of people/traffic flow management down to a fine art. This resort lacks for nothing in my opinion. Some unexpected surprises:

Machines in the lobby with a great selection of perfectly brewed specialty coffees - no need to wait at the bar

Umbrellas- large ones - in the room (sadly we had a rain day)

Hot, fresh, yummy foods at the buffet - crab legs even! My favorites: Home made salsa, fresh passionfruit, great bread selection and they even did a cheese tasting night.

Gorgeous gorgeous grounds. The view from our ground floor room was beautiful.

The "jacuzzi" pool which was just outside our room in block 52. Check that one out!

Rainshower head in our bathroom

Ornamental size banana tree (with clusters of bananas) right out side our room's patio.

Sheltered bus stops all over the resort

Tons of palm trees on the beach - lots of shelter if you want it.

Good house wine!!!

Ample wait staff in the lobby area to serve drinks in a timely fashion. I am used to waiting at the bar and here you can just sit down on a sofa or big wicker arm chair and be served within minutes!

The public courtesy room (which is like a large washroom) for those people who need to check out early but leave late in the afternoon. It has 3 shower stalls contained in one room with a lock on the door so you can shower without worrying about your stuff. The only downfall of this space is that it is not air conditioned like your hotel room was, so it's hard to get dry and have a good hairdo for the flight home.

The few negatives IMO: The desserts on the buffet - palm oil filled squares similar to that of M&M's desserts. I suggest you try what's in the silver dome at the end of the dessert table. It's warm and yummy most times.

Every drink was sweetened beyond my liking. Even the lemonade was too sweet! It took me 5 days to figure out where to find soda water so I mainly stuck to bottled water for the entire trip.

TIP: If you like a quieter beach check out the beach next door at the Riu. You might be able to drag a chair over there or sneak a seat or sit on your towel there for a few minutes. Also some good shopping at the Riu's beach shops :-)

Room Tip: I liked the ground floor - after walking long distances the last thing I want to do is climb 3 level...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Premier, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Dear Localyocal2,

Receive warm greetings from all the staff of Gran Bahia Principe Club Premier.

I would like to thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, we appreciate comments which are very important for us, and we will take them into account as a manner to improve the quality of our services and facilities.

I really hope that there are many other visits yet to come and that we will have the opportunity to meet. Please remember than here in the Dominican Republic, we will be at your disposal for whatever you may need, and that here you have your second home.

My best regards,

GBP Club Premier Management
Moncton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Hi, Just got back from one week in Punta Cana at the Grand Bahia Principe Premier. We are so desapointed as we were expecting (and paid for) a five star which it isn't. We were told we would have full access to the resort including buffet and it wasn't the case. When the employee called to see how our trip went, I asked why we couldn't go to the other buffet and she told us that it was because it was our first time there. Nothing to get me back to their resort. I will never go there again. I felt like a second class guest. Even the employees were like 'oh...premier, no!'. The attitude was bad, the food at the buffet at our resort sucked, no variety, and aweful taste. I am not fussy with food but that was very bad. We fed on chicken, fries, pasta and bread. By the end of the week, we were jocking and were saying: what' s new for lunch/supper? We'll have something new: chicken/fries. It was bad. It's too bad because the resort itself and the beach is super nice but for me, a huge part of my vacation is how I am treated and the food I eat and it was horrible. Not going there ever again!

Room Tip: Avoid Premier at all cost. The other resorts/sections are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed in the Premier and we were really nervous because of all the bad reviews. I had nothing to worry about. I just want to say that overall the hotel was wonderful. I understand why some people had their issues, but it really was a wonderful and relaxing vacation. I would go back in a heartbeat.

The grounds were so beautiful and clean. The staff there worked very hard to keep it that way. With 7,000 people at the entire resort, you would be surprised how well it was maintained. We were nervous because of high season, but being at the premier felt like it was our own private resort. We never had a hard time finding a spot by the pool. We had a lovely lobby that we hung out in everyday and everything was so close! After checking out all the sections, we concluded that the Premier really was the best section. Most private.

With being on the ground floor, I was terribly worried about security (I even brought my own piece of wood to put to jam the sliding door) – but the sliding door has a pin that you stick in that prevents you from opening it and it has a lock on the handle. I didn’t have to use my stick it at all ;)

We loved the drinks (so yummy). On the rainy days, we enjoyed the lobby and satellite TV in our room. Otherwise we just read and relaxed. There were a ton of activities to do (pool exercises, dance lessons, pool volley ball, ping pong) so you can’t get bored.

The food was delicious and a great variety. Of course there is something for everyone so you won’t love it all, but there was enough of a variety to go last the week. We did 3 out of 4 a la cartes: Italian (yummy), Mediterranean/Seafood (not good) and the Steakhouse (fabulous!). Take advantage of the snack bars. Their food is really good and you have more variety (calamari was fabulous!).

CONS:
- I really wish that they had room service. Sometimes you just felt like sitting on the balcony and eating something small rather than inside at the buffet.

- Coffee service outside of the buffet didn't start until 10:00am (My friend is a coffee-first-thing-in-the-morning kind of girl and even though we had a coffee maker in the room, a good coffee was needed.

- Beach was lovely, nicely shaded, but it was crowded with chairs which took away from the waterfront.

- Service -- You have to keep in mind that people run on Caribbean time. I have seen this a few times but forgot, everything moves very slowly! The service was not good-- however, the people are so nice. All of the staff member were so kind, but it was a bit chaotic and sometimes we didn't get our drinks in the buffet (or service at all-- I had to grab my own fork and knife!). But the people were so friendly so you have to learn to relax a bit and have patience.

- The nightlife! Okay -- I know I am getting older, but when you are on vacation, it is hard to fill in the time. The karaoke bar didn’t open until 10 pm and the disco didn’t open until midnight - so we just couldn’t relax all day and stay up for that – good luck to those who can.

- The premier is the furthest away from the beach – but with the train that was no big deal and things are closer than you think.

Room Tip: Premier is the way to go. Get something in the 40, 41, 42 and that has a view of the pool (more nois...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Barrie, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was our second time at this resort, the first time I did not like, I could not find my way around and thought it was too big, this time I went and I studied the grounds before i went, I had no problem finding anything this time, lots to do, pools were awesome, 15 minute walk to the ocean on foot or you can take trollies. We toured Esmeraldo and what a great new part of Bahia. There are guys on the grounds from the privilege club want to show this new side but it is to buy into the privelege club, we just got the free gifts no pressure. Once you know the resort set up was very easy to follow. Great variety of food, Japenses buffet was more of what we liked. open for lunch at 1:30 and breakfast.

Room Tip: We did not have a good view we were on 3rd floor 47, but had view of the new building they are build...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Feb 23-March 1st , I am so trying to be fair on this review.. Room was clean but way to far from everything. I think if they had somewhere to have coffee for early risers like myself It would nhave been a little better. IF THEY GOT A BETTER SUQUEST REP it would be better as well. I didnt even get to our room at check in and knew it was not going to work for us, the desk clerk brought me to sunquest and we asked to be moved (offered to pay more even) He was just nasty to us ! He even said we should go back to mexico or jamaica if we didnt like it here. (sure wish we could have) But we had no choice but to stay there. We also were the only ones that were not told our flight was delayed . We went to airport for 6 am and were told to get back to the resort as we were delayed 5 hrs. (had to find our own way back to resort . then when the airtransat rep opened at 9 am . They told us it was not cancelled and we should have been to airport Just total messed up. ended up we had to pay an extra 80.00 for taxi cab for this mistake. Just one more thing that went wrong.
Other than these huge problems. I do have to say the rest of the week was ok (altho i was still upset we got thru the week. and made the best of it. i found the buffet staff, food, bartenders, servers, all to be very friendly and helpful. pools and grounds were clean , Did smell sewer on the tram to the beach in a few places but held our breath till we passed it. wasnt to bad.
Will I go back to Bahia Premier ?? NOPE NEVER. ( we did stay at Iberostar Punta cana the week before and will definitley go back there..) SO very hard to rate staff and service we got when checking in and the rudeness from the REP at SUNQUEST>

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Premier? Share your experiences!