“Wedding Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Now Larimar Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Now Larimar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Now Larimar Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach | Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #13 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Calgary, Canada
“Wedding Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Let me start by saying if this was Mexico they would be getting a much lower rating from me. That being said the tourism industry in the D.R. is immature compared so I have cut a lot of slack.
I stayed at the Now Larimar for my brother’s wedding on December 2nd. weather was nice for about three days and it was overcast almost the rest of our 10 day stay so be warned you won’t get a lot of sun if you travel at this time of year but the temperature is still very pleasant– also be warned of the mosquitos and sand fleas – almost everyone in my party suffered from either terrible mosquito bites or sand flees so don’t forget to pack the bug spray this time of year!
The resort grounds are lovely! Very modern and well kept, there are several gorgeous pools and all are just steps away from the beautiful white sand beach. Be warned though if you are booking at this hotel make sure that you don’t book the ‘’Garden view” rooms – they are a 15 minute walk or a shuttle from the actual hotel and beach. My sister found this out when she checked in and paid and extra $150 for a room close to the beach so this is an option but it costs$$.
The staff was very friendly at the buffet and the restaurants, very attentive and accommodating. The food at the restaurants was also very good. If you are from north America through – the dairy is terrible(anywhere in the D.R.) – don’t order anything with cheese as you will be very disappointed. The beach buffet was great – tasty burgers and nachos all day. The rooms we comfortable and very nice and modern (what you would expect from a 4 start hotel in a third world country).
I will definitely recommend that if you have any request or complaints to go to the front desk directly. Anything that was handled via the phone or e-mail was completely screwed up or wrong. I was delayed one day on my journey there and e-mailed the front desk to notify them that I would not be checking in for an extra day and to please notify anyone of (I listed 6 people) that I would not be arriving that day. My father waited in the lobby for 8 hours waiting for word on my whereabouts as they simply did not communicate my message. My father was convinced I was kidnapped and was threatening to call the police because I was missing by the time that my sister managed to convince the airline to tell them that I had missed my flight and was scheduled the next day. I will be writing the head office of the resort to complain about this and will update my review with how they respond.
We also booked an excursion on a catamaran through the hotel and my father called the front desk to ask if we needed to bring towels or if they were supplied and was told that they were supplied on the excursion. We were informed once we reached the boat (when it was too late) that towels were not in fact supplied.
The wedding package also was supposed to include several things that just never arrived (they were supposed to get breakfast in bed the morning after; they made their order the night before ad it never arrived etc.). They also were supposed to move them from a regular room to the honeymoon suite the day of the wedding but would not tell them when the room was going to be ready so that they could communicate to the rest of the wedding party where to be and when.
The bartender at the wedding was fantastic, funny, quick with service and had a giant smile on the whole time. The served appies on the beach at he wedding which were very good and the dinner of lobster and steak was really delicious, although it does not come with garlic butter for the lobster so if you order make sure to order melted butter on the side if you like it the north American way! The wedding cake and dessert were also delicious. Job very well done by the chef.
All in all this sounds like a negative review but it’s just a few things to be aware of – I think it’s a lot about communication there as their English in general is not very good. Just make sure that your expectations are clear and speak to them directly and you will enjoy the beautiful grounds, wonderful food, friendly staff and spectacular beaches.

Room Tip: don't stay in the garden rooms they are too far from the beach and main resort and the higher ro...

6,407 people have reviewed this hotel

2059
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,745)
  • Polish first
Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Rooms were very clean and tidy. Food was very good and the only restaurant that you needed a reservation for was the Asian. Bar service was very good and they even have staff around the pool and beach to get you a new drink. Tip them a couple of bucks and they will be remember you. Beach was nice soft sand. I find the beach better in Cuba. Pool was excellent was closed for a day due to all the rain. Non smoking inside the public areas which was a plus. I would return again. My only complaint was that we booked a room in there garden view rooms which is in a separate area of the hotel away from the food and pools and ocean and had to pay to move to the main hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Huron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have been to Dreams Puerto Vallarta 3 times, Dreams Huatuelco, once, and many times to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and the rest of the carribean. I have worked at 19 resorts as a Sales Manager and a Director of Sales. When we arrived, after a long and tiring flight, I was told we were in the gardens, which i agreed. The front desk said, well for $50 more you can stay here, otherwise, you have to go to the other building? Other building? What? So, we were put on a golf cart and driven back and away from the main building to the GARDENS. Beautiful room, small front desk area and a lobby full of flight attendants. Hummmm, what is this? Having worked at other hotels at airports as well as resorts, I was leary. Well, there is a pool there, and a swim up bar there and a breakfast buffet there, but no beach. So hop on the gulf cart to the MAIN hotel , thru the lobby and back to the beach, about 10-15 minutes later, once you catch a driver for the cart. My husband has a business and goes back and forth to the room. No beach by day 3. This isnt going to work. So i complain and my TA fixes it. 3 days later we move to the main building and once again, life is good! Food, beach, sand, lounge etc. all wonderful and great service. oh, and those flight attendants? Well next to the GARDEN building is another hotel for flight attendants, tons of flight attendants. Every morning and every evening n that lobby, over there.

Room Tip: Main building please, up. We were in 2301, the second time around and perfect location!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

A beautiful resort and wonderful staff! just got back from our stay from 12/14-12/22. We had a great time! The rooms were clean and cleaned constantly. We had a family deluxe. Not sure if that's available during peak times and is not in preferred but was big and perfect. We had friends in the preferred section who loved it but we didn't miss it. If you love to be pampered or want quiet during peak season that's probably the way to go.
All the food I had was good but I especially loved the Dominican dishes at the buffet. At breakfast get anything with plantains and a fried egg. At Capers the white tuna is a stand out too. Deiby, my Barista, I missed you this morning, my friend.
We have stayed at higher end all inclusives but never had so much fun!!! Marilyn, Mariel, Yaojel, and Griselda at the explorers club were fantastic! Our family did a lot of excursions but we had to make sure that there was time in the schedule for kids club! Our friends had the same experience. Can't say enough good things about the children's accommodations. Beach camping night is a must! So is beach party night but that's another story :-)
Around the resort we noticed we got great service always and outstanding service when we tipped. Everyone there works so hard. $2 a day to the cleaning staff is a worthwhile investment even if your appreciation doesn't call you to do it.
Speaking of hard work, the entertainment staff is unbelievable! Really made my experience special. All the great classes and shows blew me away! Just incredible. Ysabel, I felt like I was with family because of you. Thank you for every thing.
Definitely do the fingerpainting activity or see him at the plaza. Worth every penny. We did excursions including helicopter, horse back riding, Sanoa island, snuba, and marinarium. All good investments. My little boy loved the snuba best and we have awesome Xmas cards!
Stay away from the vendors next door unless you are a haggling pro and sober. Probably better off at the malls. Best option is a national park. The vendors on Sanoa were more than fair and didn't leave us feeling like dirty foreigners. Oh and the jewelry is super cute.
Have fun!

Room Tip: if you have little legs along the newest building will be too far but it's pretty and quieter th...
Québec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went to Now Larimar with my family (including a young baby). I travelled to Punta Cana, Riviera Maya, Jamaica and Samana before in diferent resorts (Dreams, Riu, Bahia Pincipe) before.

Lets make it simple! The resort was really nice and have immaculated grounds. I took 30 min from the airport to get there. Check in was fast. We really enjoy our trip to now larimar.

Highlights :

Rooms
Big rooms, nice bed, everything you need. A#C work well. Big jetted bathhub on the balcony. Bavaro building is nice and all pair number are in front of the pools and grounds.

Restaurants
The buffet was my favorite, even if I am more an "a la carte restaurant". Maybe because I was with my baby. Food quality was perfect and they change menu each nigth with different themes. I also tried Tamarindo at opening night premiere, Blue Water Grill and the Capers. Tamarindo and Blue Water was really good and enjoyable, but for Capers, don't waste your time to go there. It's in the new part resort and the service and food quality wasn't accurate plus you have to get here by walk of cart.

Preferred Club
I enjoy the privilege of bigger rooms near the beach, private beach with more services and privileges like the beer came in original can instead of in a platic glass. You also get two private pools and bars. The prefference status is verified every day by staff, so it's really the one who paid only that could enjoy the preference club privileges.

Beach and pools
You will find a lot of pools, even for kids, and a beautifull beach. No snorkeling at hotel beach is possible (nothing to see there) but they offer excursion each day. The only complain I have about the beach is the local that try to sale their stuff every day on the beach. It is patrol by the hotel security, so you have to cross the limit of the hotel to be shout at, and to worry they won't miss you! I have to say that this is not the only hotel I went that had this problem. Exception of that point, the beach is really nice and beautifull.

Entertainment team
I enjoy the entertainment programs and the shows at night. Some were really professional like the circus show. Don't miss it.The outside plaza at night with small band is really enjoyable before showtime.

The biggest advantage of this resort is the service you will get from the staff. They are amazing and will make your vacation a dream come true. We had Modesto, Edwin and Kelvin at the main buffet that reserve our table and decorated it with flowers and candle each day. We didn't have to ask, glasses were full and the highchair were on it way! They were really nice with our baby that love to see their favorites waiters trying to entertain her. That was a nice touch from the staff.

We also took profesionnal picture with Claudia at WBA on the resorts and we had perfect pics for us. The photographer (Claudia) were really good and she did really great picture of our family.

Finaly, I recommand this hotel for it incredible service and nice grounds! It is similar than Dreams resorts (same compagny), a little more family resort type. Nothing to compare with Bahia or Riu, AM resorts (Dreams and Now) are way out better!

Enjoy your trip !

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are easier to access by the grounds and you have more space on your bacony...
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My family and I just returned from the vacation of a life time at Now Larimar, Punta Cana. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by such an amazing staff and cold drinks and the rest is history. The resort was extremely clean, house keeping was constant, the entire staff extremely friendly and always willing to help. The staff of Kids explorer club Marilyn, Yaojel, Griselola, Mariel were extremely wonderful, my children loved their time there.

There were amazing shows put up every night by the Now entertainment team and their staff were fantastic especially Ysabel Lola, JC Diaz and Chocolat. The food and staff at the various restaurants were marvelous especially the carnival. The staff there were great they made us feel so special, especially Skarlyn Smith, David and Junior. The beach area was so clean, we had such an amazing time and will definitely be going back again, it was a paradise experience. Our vacation was EXCENLLENTE!

Lola

Trumbull, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Just returned from a great stay at now larimar 12/15-12/20. There were a few technical issues with the room when we first arrived, but were quickly moved to another one the next day. We were in the ocean front master suite. It was spacious, well equipped and beautiful with breathtaking ocean views. We had a complimentary honeymoon package which included free couples massage and dinner on the beach. It was a great addition to our vacation. The food was good everywhere from room service to the buffet and specialty restaurants and also our beach dinner. Although there were some communication issues and language barriers but there were enough people around to translate and it is expected when travelling to other countries. It was also my birthday and the staff sang felize complianious and brought out a birthday cake to my surprise. Overall me and my husband had an amazing stay and I recommend this resort for anyone wanting to have a relaxing vacation with a beautiful beach and well kept grounds and pools. Def upgrade to master suite it's well worth the money!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!