“Nice Hotel but NO 6 Golden Apple” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Now Larimar Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Now Larimar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Now Larimar Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach | Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #13 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Greeley, Colorado
“Nice Hotel but NO 6 Golden Apple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Amresorts presented this hotel as new, "only in it's 2nd year". They have owned it for that time & renamed it. Hardly a 6 golden apple as rated by Apple Vacations... Looks pretty in the pictures, but cheaply furnished. Our "Deluxe Ocean View" was 3rd floor with the large tiki hut swim up bar & other buildings between us & the ocean.To get your discount Now Larimar Spa & Wine coupons, included in your package, you have to listen to an agent try to sign you up for a 90 minute tour of Secrets Vacation Club! Some of the staff was very nice, but others could care less. Too many families for us to have a relaxing, quite vacation by the pool. Dining room was as loud as a school cafeteria & service was poor, food tasteless. "Spice" was the one good restaurant. We moved next door to Secrets - Adult Only, without joining the vacation club.

6,406 people have reviewed this hotel

2060
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,745)
  • Polish first
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Well, I can't tell you enough about the Now Larimar Resort. Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9 and 12) could not have been more pleased with our 7 night stay. I will break it down as best I can.

Punta Cana Airport - just adorable. You get off the plane in the open warm Caribbean air and walk to immigration and customs. There is a $10 per person fee to enter the country. Our luggage was waiting for us when we got to baggage claim. We didn't even go through any type of customs. Looked like they had it but it wasn't being used at the time. It was a quick 20 minute ride to the hotel.

Check-in: when we arrived there were a lot of people and bags out front of the hotel and it seemed like it would be a long check-in process - but in reality it only took about 15 minutes. They give you cold washcloths (because it is so warm there) and a drink upon arrival. We were part of the preferred club area. This check-in room is very nice - has food, drinks and computers to use at anytime throughout your stay. Wi-Fi is free for preferred club members.

Rooms: Efrain took us to our room (1452/1454). We were booked in a Family Deluxe Room. These are 2 connecting standard deluxe rooms. So nice to have the extra space and 2 bathrooms. We had 1 king and 2 queens between the 2 rooms. We had not problems with anything in the rooms. I know people have complained about housekeeping and air conditioners not working well. But we thought everything was just perfect. There were Jacuzzi tubs on each balcony as well. Blackout blinds in the rooms worked just fine.

Beach: this part of the country has the softest and most beautiful beaches I have seen in a long time. Best part is that the sand doesn't get hot (no sand shoes needed). We found there were plenty of sun and shaded area for everyone that wanted one. Plenty of room to walk along the beach if you choose to. As for the seaweed. I don't understand how people can write a bad review regarding the seaweed. This is not the hotels fault and personally, it didn't bother me one bit! I love nature. They did have people there almost everyday cleaning up what was there. The people in the country work very very hard and it shows. The property also had a floating iceberg that is a rock climbing activity in the ocean for the kids. My kids lived on this thing! Drink service at the beach was a bit slow - but I don't mind getting up and getting my own drink too! There are massages being offered on the beach. These are wonderful and at least half the price than the ones offered in the hotel spa. Didn't get bothered by one peddler on the beach. They regulate this very closely and very well. I was very impressed with the security around the property. Thought not once, did I feel at all scared or worried about my families safety.

Food: I am not a picky eater (neither is anyone in my family) and we felt the food was average to good.

For Dinner:
the main Carnival Buffet has the best variety and best food on property. Along with the best service (sit in Cesar's section if you can)! We ate in all of the restaurants (except the French that doesn't allow kids).

Capers was probably our second favorite (sit in Henry section - he is great too)! Good variety and good flavors.

The Bluewater Grill was our worst experience during our entire stay. Took them an hour and half to bring us a steak, a chicken sandwich and a bottle of wine (never got the wine). Kids got their food right away. Hey, we get it that everyone has an off day - we just chose not to go back their again.

Spice was good too - though we couldn't get a reservation (only restaurant the requires a reservation for the Hibachi cooking area) except on Thanksgiving night. So we decided to try the A La Carte section (no reservation needed). It was okay. Most of the food was spicy or moderately spicy. The Ahi Tuna appetizer was very good.

We also tried the Windows Buffet at the other section of the property (not close to the beach). This was very disappointing. It was very small, not nearly as many food options as the other buffet and the service not nearly as good.

We ended up back at the Carnival Buffet every night for dessert and to see our new friend Cesar!

The Castaways Restaurant/Barefoot Grill is the only one near the pool and beach area. This is not open for Dinner. Food is consistent and very good. We ate here almost every day. Henry from the Capers restaurant works here too. Sit with him and you will be treated very well.

Pool Area: there is a quiet pool, the main pool and the 2 preferred pool areas. There are bars at all the areas for drinks. Every Friday afternoon, they put up inflatable slides along the main pool area to use. The kids loved this. Every Wednesday is the foam party at the main pool area. This is lots of fun too. I know there are other activities but we were at the beach most of the time. There is another pool at the newer section of the property far from the ocean. We didn't utilize this at all.

Tipping: I was amazed to see how many people were NOT tipping. If someone is bringing me a drink at the beach I would give them a tip ($1). At lunch we left $2-3. Dinner was $4-5 depending on the service and Housekeeping we would tip $4-5 every day. These people work so hard and a little goes a long way here. I will warn you - if you do plan on tipping bring your own singles and fives. We were trying to get change for a $20 or $10 and it was very hard.

Health Club: there is a very nice and clean workout facility on property. It has 4 treadmills, 2 bikes and 3 elliptical machines. I worked out 5 out of the 7 days and didn't have a hard time getting a machine. They do limit the treadmills to 30 minutes. But if not all are taken you can stay on longer.

We did go on a Zip-lining excursion booked through the Apple Vacation Rep on property. It was $89 per adult and $60 per child. She told up that it would take 40 minutes to get there. In reality, it took 40 minutes to pick up all the other people and then another 50 minutes to get to the Zip Lines. So an hour and half each way was longer than we would have liked, but it was worth it. Zip-lining was a lot of fun - book the morning tour otherwise it gets too hot in the afternoon and you will be very uncomfortable. We left our hotel at 7:30am and got dropped off at 12:45. It was the only day we got to see the sunrise and it was beautiful! Also made it worth getting up early.

In the end, our family was thrilled with our experience at the NOW Larimar. If we were to go back to the Dominican Republic we would definitely stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Just returned from a week's stay at the Now Larimar. What a great resort - grounds are absolutely immaculate and the staff are absolutely amazing. They all seem so focused on ensuring a positive experience for the guests - did everything they could to ensure a great vacation. As mentioned, the seaweed on the beach is an issue, and although the staff worked dilegently to try to keep ahead of it, it was a losing battle. Also, finding beach chairs in the shade was next to impossible after 9 am, especially on the weekend. We found we had to be down at poolside by 8:30 in the morning to get desired locations, which was a bit of a pain. Very busy on the weekend at both pools, beach and restaurants - was told it was weekend rentals that upped the occupancies. We had a lovely room, ocean view - but did check out the garden view rooms at the separate resort area - am glad we did not end up there, as would have been very unhappy with location. Have to send out our thanks to Lenny at the lobby bar and Yummy at the pool bar who were amazing in their service levels!!! Enjoyed all the restaurants - loved not having to make a reservation for the a la cartes. Entertainment staff were very energetic, and tried to get all involved. Would I return - probably! You can count on a great vacation experience.

Room Tip: Do whatever you can to ensure you are not in the Garden View area at the separate location.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Not sure if I should be giving Now L the four star treatment...... but I have to and here's why.
Arrival - read lots about long delays in check in etc - we turned up and check in was done in minutes.
Rooms - we were given tropical view on the fourth floor - higher is better - why? the younger generation ie under 30 get the cheaper lower floors and as is their want they get on the beer. Didn't we all! Tropical view is on the left side of the hotel as you look to the sea. It basically looks over the next property which is ok. It's a little market area, quiet and harmless.

Rooms are big (we were three, 2 adults and a five year old). Two double beds. If your American and fond of the fodder, you'll never fit in them. Actually if you're fond of the fodder you shouldn't be going to these all you can eat and drink places. You'll shorten your lifespan by years. Bathrooms are lovely, big, etc

Fridge is topped up every day. Sheets and towels replaced every day too if you require.

Restaurants - this is where the nearly comes in. Food in speciality restaurants is beyond bad. Honestly. Do not fool yourself. We met couples who at first said how good the food was and when they came clean they agreed with us. Asian - awful. My wife is asian, we have worked and travelled all over Asia. The greasiest Chinese in our city would do better. The Italian - not much better. The US style restaurant - alittle better but all the food was tasteless. French - didn't go there. Did not want to waste the babysitting fee on more below average food.
Day time BBQ on the beach - good for lazing by the pool and not having to go to main restaurant. Day time restaurant at pool area - average.

Why, oh why can't these places invest alittle time and train the cooks properly. We were in a Chinese in Santo Domingo last week. We are in the business. The food was amazing. We asked the Chinese owner where her chefs were from. They were Dominicians!!!! Same as Larimar. How did she do it???? She trained them herself. A friend brought us to a fab Spanish restaurant - same story. Wow food, Dominican chefs. Trained by the Spanish owners. it's not rocket science.

The Buffet - excellent! Stay here for your trip. You might be bored after the week but you won't be disappointed. Selection is good and fresh.

The Window - don't waste the battery in your golf cart.

Pools / Beach - Great. Lots of Americans (sorry guys but I was on a cruise two years ago and I nearly jumped overboard. Loud, rude, ignorant and plain awful to be with). This time there were nice people there. Canadians, French, some UK and Dominicans too which helped. Is it me or do Americans really stick with their own. We tried afew times to talk to afew and found them either shy, non-communicative or standoffish.

Anyway the pools are nice, safe for my daughter and there are four to choose from. The pool bar is good if you like going on the beer all day and you can stand to be surrounded by testosterone. That's not a critique. I did the same when I was young free and single. The beach is great. I built whole cities in the sand only to have them washed away to the delight of my daughter. Sad to see though the dirt of the non private / hotel beaches.

The bar at the pool is great. Get to know the barmen and you'll be able to get good measures. I found tipping once a day (2-3 $) helps as it does with the girls serving around the pool. I actually played bingo in the mornings at the pool - it was great!!! The girls who do it are great fun.

Main bar - abit of a void but nice to sit in and read, pre and after dinner drinks, etc.

Sports bar - awful, dull, abit depressing. Bowling is fun if you have to.

Casino - usual suspects.

Disco - good fun.

Nightly entertainment - great!! I expected it to be like our cruise which was cheap and amateur. This was great. Not Broadway but the kids loved it. They dragged us oldies up onstage to play games etc (happened to me twice) but it was fun. The entertainment staff are brilliant. The female manager of the team is great. Dominicians are really genuine and friendly everywhere you go in the country.

Outdoor entertainment rates alittle lower in the exciting stakes. They had a singer for afew nights and a singer / guitarist other nights - just ok. The circus on one night was fab. Again the entertainment staff are wonderful, not pushy and brilliant with kids.

Gym - adequate for a week.

If your travel deal includes $200 of hotel tokens - don't be fooled. They are for selected things only like a really overpriced spa and you get $40 off.

The reason we really enjoyed the place despite the appalling food was that Larimar is relaxing, not in your face and for the time of year (November) it wasn't crowded. If it were high season I would have a different opinion on the pool area and the eating areas. That said, we intend to go again next year. Hope this all helps.

Room Tip: Check out the room and if not happy insist on a better one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have just read the review from Missyjm of Dublin dated 22nd November and it is almost an mirror image of what we experienced.

The fact is this hotel and complex needs some serious attention in certain areas. In all that I have to say here please note we have travelled to The Dominican Republic on four previous occasions and in all aspects found this venue to be the lowest quality throughout.

Upon booking this holiday I was advised by my agent that this venue offered Groumet Food. This is totally incorrect and could not be further from the truth. As examples, the a la carte restaurants were just OK and did not qualify for any more than a 6/10 mark overall. The buffet was OK but again limited variety in certain areas i.e. no muesli or Granola for breakfast, limited fruit choice – we have never seen non availability of bananas or pineapple on several days, for example.

What was really bad was the serving of food at the Barefoot Grill where we experienced the cooking of raw chicken and then the serving of cooked food to customers with the same utensil. We complained to management on this and saw it continue on several occasions afterwards. Needless to say we never ate there again.

Secondly, restaurant service was poor, we endured repeated requests for the same thing each day. E.g. We could not get English tea served with cold milk and tea spoon and there was nowhere to deposit used teabags and to request a teapot was almost hopeless. Added to this the very often lack of understanding of the English language was poor adding to further confusion. All in all there needs to be some serious attention of training of staff and the understanding of culinary issues.

The accommodation is tired and we had problems with the room from taking the key, i.e. flood from fridge and after 3 phone calls no one came to clean the water up, so we did it ourselves. We also had a problem with the shower glass door that was repaired and this repair failed after a couple of days, eventually we were moved to another room.

Whilst we were there we were given to believe that a new Manager had been appointed to get things sorted to more acceptable level.

I must finish by saying that the hotel did its best, via Marcelino in Preferred Club Concierge, to deliver some level of satisfaction. Without his intervention almost on a daily basis, our holiday would have been an absolute disaster.

Please note where I have commented about food, 2 days before the end of our holiday my husband contracted a severe case of Gastro Enteritis which continued for almost a week after we returned to the UK.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Resident Manage... A, Manager at Now Larimar Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Now Larimar Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Now Larimar Punta Cana in regards to your stay. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

It is disappointing to hear that we were unable to live up to our high brand standards and that you found only the response of our Preferred Club Manager Marcelino satisfactory when he addressed your concerns.

We strive to provide our guests with an experience which exceeds their expectations.

Please rest assured that we have taken your feedback seriously. We do sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity welcome you back so you may experience a true Now Larimar stay.

Kind regards,

Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at Now Larimar Hotel in Punta Cana for 7 nights, on July 2012.

The good: I found the hotel very beautifully designed and decorated, with nice gardens and rooms. Many couples got married in the gardens or by the beach during my stay. At least in my room (Tropical View DX 2446) there was a jacuzzi in the bathroom, and it was open to the bedroom (no closed walls). First floor rooms had a jacuzzi outside the room. The beach was ok, the sea was tidal wave some days, and so it wasn’t so always perfect for swimming. There was paid Internet at the rooms.

The not so good: at least in my room the air conditioning didn’t “cool” the room so much (just ok); the shower pressure was too low; the bathroom had no extraction system and since the bathroom was open to the bedroom it was incomfortable sometimes. The view from my room wasn’t so nice so try to choose pool view (ocen front was other category) Other issues: “clean” dishes at the buffet restaurant were dirty sometimes (you could feel something sticky on your fingers), the “a la carte” restaurants didn’t require previous reservations but they were full all the time so waiting was a must (in fact, in 8 days we could never had dinner there). The only restaurant that required previous reservation was the Asian one, but be aware of making the reservation as soon as you arrive.

The really bad issue and the reason I won’t go back: the front desk service was bad and disrespectful. We were a group of 5 people (separated in 3 rooms) and the hotel didn’t respect the room reservations we had: although our vouchers were clear about that (Tropical View DX rooms) they gave us Garden View rooms: a cheaper category located in another hotel by the road (and not by the beach). We had to walk for at least 20 minutes to get to the beach from Garden View rooms (and that was inconvenient for my pregnant sister and her 2 years old baby). We had to lead a really tough and harming negotiation with the hotel to get what we paid for, but they never accepted their mistake or said they were sorry: they always claimed they were “giving us an upgrade” moving us to Tropical View DX rooms and we had to be thanked for their courtesy. During all our stay we had troubles because of this. It really damaged our stay.

So if you are planning to stay at Now Larimar be aware and try to prevent these problems so you can fully enjoy your stay. It is not a cheap hotel.

Ah! We booked a paid photo session with Claudio Caiozzi at the hotel photo service and it was memorable! I absolutely recommend it.

Room Tip: Book a pool view one ore look for an ocean front by the beach. Don't choose Garden View rooms un...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Now Larimar Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Now Larimar, Punta Cana on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your stay. We sincerely apologize that your stay on this occasion was a disappointing one. Your comments are very important to us.

We would be delighted to discuss this further with you. Please feel free to email us at Email info.nolpc@nowresorts.com

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I have just come back from 11 nights at this resort. We stayed in the preferred club part of the resort at a slightly extra cost but its worth it for the few extras it gives you (near to the swimming pools and beach especially for preferred club guests, jacuzzi on your balcony, separate reception with branded spirits etc) . The rooms are showing their age but spacious comfortable and very clean. The staff from bellboys, cleaners, bar staff, waitress and many more that go in to the running of this resort are wonderful all of them so helpful and polite wanting to make your stay perfect. A special thank you to the beautiful Ygris who looked after us in the moments bar of an evening with such care and the lovely yudelkis from the sandpiper bar around the pool making sure we didn't go thirsty in the intense sun. These are two of many.
The only negative thing I would say is that sometimes unless you asked you didn't get for example disposable plastic cups around the pool when they had the proper plastic glasses.
I would definitely go back again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!