“9 time return guests.(June 12-26,2011)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Larimar Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Now Larimar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Now Larimar Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach | Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #14 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“9 time return guests.(June 12-26,2011)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Just returned fr a 2 week vacation at the Now Larimar Resort. We were treated like royalty by all the management and staff. We had some great meals at their AlaCarte Restaurants (Asian ,Italian Seafood and Steak) Managers Marcelino,Roberto and Manuel are great people to deal with if you have any problems or just want to talk to. We are also greatful that we were abe to have some of our meals at their Sister hotel -Adult Only . This hotel is beautiful . The management and staff are so friendly (Clara, Carlos and Domingo ) were very nice to deal with. We just had a wonderful vacation and look forward to #10 in Oct/11. Deloris and Frank of Scarborough On Canada

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

6,431 people have reviewed this hotel

2073
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,759)
  • Polish first
Morehead, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We love the Dominican Republic and stayed at Dreams Palm Beach last year!! Dreams Palm Beach was booked for our vacation week so we tried Now Larimar. The room was much larger than Dreams and very nice and clean! I did not see any bugs at all. The beds are hard but that is not a big deal to us! The food at Now Larimar was much better than Dreams Palm Beach and the Barefoot Cafe is excellent. We feasted on fresh fish, rice, and delicious pizza everyday! The beach is beautiful and much larger than the beach at Dreams Palm Beach. We did miss having staff on the beach at Now Larimar to bring us water and soda. We enjoyed the evening activities at the resort plaza and especially loved the Friday evening Circus. We did have American Television which we really enjoyed. We were checked on every evening by our wonderful house keeper to see if we were okay for the night! I really enjoyed the jacuzzi tub on the terrace and used it every evening. The rooms are very quiet and peaceful and the VIP pool is really nice with a swim up bar. We do suggest you spend the extra and go VIP.
The Beach huts and chairs are very good and well kept and clean. The beach is swept every morning for seaweed. I do wish the beach had been cleaned of seaweed more often...this is just personal preference as I do not like seaweed at all. We did not like the Flea Market because we were bombarded with people trying to sell us stuff. The Now Larimar do have guards at both ends of the Resort keeping people off the beach that peddle things. We did really like this because Dreams Palm Beach did not keep these people off their Resort. We do not like to be bothered with people trying to sell you masages, jewelry, etc. My husband and daughter loved the snorkeling and 2 person canoes and the water sports staff are very nice. Warning to families with minors: there are topless sun bathers. This is not an issue for us but some families may not approve.
We loved Now Larimar and we really think that all the small issues will be worked out soon since it opened under new management in May.

Room Tip: Ask about going VIP.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Pros: Rooms are modern and fairly updated. Each room has its own private little balcony/patio with great resort or ocean views. Rooms have a small microfridge that is stocked with bottled water, beer, and various assorted soft drinks each day. The pools are beautiful. There are an assortment of restaurants to choose from and evening activities are plentiful.

Cons: Beach was covered with seaweed so you cannot swim in the ocean. You cannot go on the beach without being harassed repeatedly about various activities and excursions. While there are various food options, the food is not good. In order to attend one of the many restaurants, men must wear long pants and shoes (no shorts, flip flops, etc.). Internet access is not included and if you want to use the internet in the business center, it is $4 for every 15 minutes. Tons and tons and tons of kids at the resort (lots of splashing and noise). Did not sleep well due to the A/C not working properly in room. The courtyard in each building is incredibly noisy and it is not uncommon to have drunk people yelling and screaming all night long - if you report it to security they do nothing.

You will get asked numerous times to participate in a presentation on a vacation package. It was very annoying to be stopped everywhere in the resort to participate in this presentation. We finally said OK and were told it would last 90 minutes - it lasted 3 hours! It wasted nearly a half day of our vacation.

If you go to this resort, make sure you bring a calling card as calling rates to the U.S. are outrageous. Bring lots of sunscreen as it costs about $25 - 35 dollars in the hotel store. Make sure you review the dress attire for the restaurants carefully. If you do not want kids running around making noise, I recommend checking out Secrets.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My mother and I travel a few times a year to get away from the family business and wanting something new this year we chose the Dominican. The flight was pleasant. The arranged transportation from the airport to the hotel was quick and so was check in. They didn't have us on the list for the promised coupons in the hotel but one of the concierge fixed the situation quickly. Then started the problems...

Rooms:
1. The bell boys lost our luggage so we were sitting in our room watching tv for literally the first 3 hours of our trip.
2. After given two keys to the room, we realized once we arrived that to keep the power on for any reason in the room you must have one of your two keys in a slot by the door at all times to keep it running.
3. The hotel will not give you extra keys and they charge you $10 if you lose one so get ready to go everywhere together to keep everything on and comfortable in your room for your return.
4. The tv constantly got big messages displayed across the screen saying the bill had not been paid and service was going to be discontinued. When we informed the front desk they said it would go away in time. And yes after about 10 minutes of completely destructing any view of the tv it would go away only to appear on another channel.
5. They have climate control in your rooms so although you may set your AC down low it still does not get below a certain temperature
6. They did not have enough towels to cover all the rooms in the hotel. If we were lucky they would restock 1 a day. We called every single day for extra towels which would take at least an hour to arrive.
7. The staff will knock and wait less than ten seconds before entering a room whether the do no disturb sign is on the door or not. I was walked in on after getting out of the shower by a male employee who gave me less than 15 seconds to get out of the shower to answer the door.

Food and Beverages:
1. There is absolutely no AC in the restaurants so get ready to sweat. There is no need to clean up before dinner. In fact, at the hibachi it got so warm I had to leave without eating before I got ill.
2. Since we went in the off season only a couple of restaurants were open each day. You could find out the schedule on the printed itinerary that they put up around the hotel each day.
3. Even though it was the off season, if you don't go right at 6p when the restaurants open you will be waiting for hours. The two times we accidentally had this happen we waited 2 hours on the dot and gave up the second time at 2 1/2 before going back to our room from heat exhaustion.
4. The buffet food was horrible. The food was undercooked or overcooked and cold unless you had something made right off the grill (ex: eggs in the mornings)
4. Ordering from room service took over an hour each time and always came up cold or incorrect. They sent my first order up wrong three times before they got it right.
5. The signature frozen drinks like pina coladas, margaritas, etc. were pre mixed in a machine and always came out as a liquid instead of frozen.
6. We were told at the beginning of our stay that since we were not in the preferred part of the hotel that we would not be able to use all the restaurants including the ocean side grill that by far had the best food. If you do decide to visit this hotel, this is the only place that had decent food with fresh fish, steak, and shrimp right off the grill. After talking to management they agreed to let us eat in this restaurant although we were not preferred guests. I can say that if we weren't able to eat there we would have left the first day.
7. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: The hotel tells you that you can drink from their filtered water system. This is not the water that comes out of the faucet but the water they they pour from the pitchers at dinner or are in the big five gallon jugs at the pool. YOU CANNOT DRINK THE WATER!! On the fourth day of our trip my mother became bed ridden. Her temperature spiked, she was vomitting and had severe diarrhea. After trying to fight it off for a day she became so miserable that she went to go see the nurse they keep on staff at the hotel. They had so many ill people at that time that she had to wait until the next day. When she went back the next day they told her to come back in three hours. After finally seeing the nurse she was prescribed some antibiotics and sent back to the room. She spent the remainder of the trip miserable and in absolute pain. After getting back to the states she immediately went to the hospital to find out she had e coli poisoning and was severely dehydrated.

Staff:
1. Outside of the concierge who helped us when we arrived and the nurse that had to treat my mother during our trip the entire staff was the worst I've ever seen. They were rude and hateful. They look at you with disgust and treat you horribly.
2. There was absolutely no staff for around the pool to check and see if we needed beverages or books or anything.

Pool and Beach:
1. The pool and beach were gorgeous until we got bug bombed!! During the last two days of our trip we were completely engulfed in pesticides that were being bombed on the outside of the buildings. The pools run between the two buildings of the hotel and they sprayed it right up the middle. Clouds of green murky smoke drove us out of the pool area and back into our rooms. This was done with absolutely no warning and at about 3p in the afternoon when the pool is in full swing.

General:
1.Our travel rep warned us that even though there were many people that appeared to be employees on the beach that all extra activities on the water and all services in the spa could not be guaranteed by the hotel. All of them are owned by separate franchise companies and do not answer to the hotel in any way so if you're cheated...too bad.
2. On our fifth night, 100 or so teenagers checked in for their senior trip. The bars and restaurants were overrun with parading, unchaperoned children taking advantage of the drinking age. The remainder of our nights were spent listening to running and screaming and yelling into all hours of the night. We I called the front desk to report the problem the man told me that he was handling it and to stop calling because he would handle it. I informed him that this was my first time to call and I didn't appreciate my tone and I was hung up on.
3. This day in age I figured internet is included anywhere but it is $60 for a week of internet in your room. Mine wouldn't work for two days and the hotel wouldn't comp any time for me to use the business center. I had to buy more time by the minute to use their computers.

All in all, the island is beautiful. They have some wonderful excursions that I truly enjoyed, but this was probably the worst trip of my life. Not being able to enjoy a meal in AC with 90 degree weather (an unusually hot week for them they said), being bombed with pesticides, the rude staff, and not being able to stay healthy...we will never, ever go back. I hate to say that this one hotel ruined the whole idea of the Dominican Republic for us but after all our years of traveling we expected a great deal more than what we got. The Dominican is beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone but do not stay at this hotel.

I was quite shocked because it was bought and renovated (still in the middle of painting, digging, drilling renovations while we were there) by the Secrets Hotels. I would hesitate to stay with them again even after previous positive experiences with the company.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Seriously a beautiful place. Service was fantastic. Food was okay. Japanese restaurant is by far the best there. Felix is so fun in the morning for breakfast. Rooms were your typical resort room. Bathrooms were great. Entire resort facility was beautiful. Weather was perfect in June. Would recommend this place to EVERYone! Great for couples, great for families, great for friends. I have been to many 5 star hotels and resorts, and Now Larimar is up with the best. It may not be The Ritz, but it is great for the price and there are no huge complaints with this place. Beaches are amazing....pools are amazing...staff is WONderful!...drinks are good...activities are limitless...VERY SAFE...love love love the Dominican Republic, VIP Services, and Now Larimar!! P.S. There is no need for the "preferred" upgrade. xoxo!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Our family of 6 just returned back from our 7 day vacation at the NOW. It was wonderful. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The food was very good. The entertainment was the best we have seen in Punta Cana. The staff was extremely kind and helpful. Rooms were very nice. The Spa was good. Of our 7 visits to Punta Cana, this was the best as everyone tried to assure us of a fantastic trip. They met all our needs. Thank you to everyone at the NOW Larimar Punta Cana

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

After reading all of the poor reviews, I had myself in a state of panic before arriving. My husband, my son and I had a truly positive and remarkable experience. We are accustomed to above average standards back in the states as well as in our own personal lifestyle, so we can be a bit picky at times. However, with that being said, the price point of the Now Larimar was excellent, taking into consideration this was not the Ritz Carlton nor a 4 Seasons hotel, if you were paying those prices then yes, you could find reasons to complain. Here is our breakdown of our honest feelings as to how pleasant we found our trip and experience to be:

Let's start off with "THE FOOD" :
The buffet was a buffet, the bacon, omelets, breads, fruits, potatoes were great!! We ate dinner in the ala carte restaraunts and found each meal that we tried very good, The filet melted in your mouth. 24 hour room service never kept us waiting more than 10-15 minutes.
"The Cleanliness"
It was amazing to the three of us, how hard these workers work and for an extremely small pay. I'd like to see more of this in my home city!!! I looked very closely and there were no bed bugs in our room. Our room was mopped everyday and they buff the marble everyday in the hallways. They are constantly sweeping, washing and scrubbing.
"THE SERVICE"
We were treated with such warmth and concern. We miss all those who took such good care of us!

All in all everything met our expectations. The entertainment and activites were great as well. The swimmimg pools were amazing as well as the beautiful grounds. Any advice I give is that remember: this is a third world country, yes you are at a resort but dont expect something better than what you would even pay for back home in the U.S. You get a lot and I truly believe some people just want to complain just to complain. We were very happy and we would go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!