“Adjust Your Expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

You added Zoetry Agua Punta Cana to your Saves list
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Uvero Alto, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto
“Adjust Your Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

If your travel style on TA profile says "nothing but the best", you'll probably get disappointed. Unfortunately, the marketing info on this resort misrepresents it as a one year old, five star, no luxury spared kinda place. It ain't it!! ( And it's quite pricey which doesn't help, either.) But you just may fall in love with it, if you adjust your expectations a bit and adopt a laid back, more "forgiving" attitude.

The "luxury" of Zoetry in Punta Cana lies not in immaculate, manicured grounds or shiny, top notch amenities, but in the fact it let's you relax in unpretentious surroundings, on an uncrowded beach or pool, in a secluded, private resort that's charming, full of friendly (yes, somewhat imperfect) staff who genuinely try to acomodate, and a dedicated GM who cares.

It is a great place if you're prepared for its minor flaws. The food is better than in any other AI. The rooms are comfortable and stylish, some with super spacious bathrooms. The style is rustic (rusty rustic at places:-)) and exotic.

I see Zoetry Aqua as a perfect place for those who value peace and quiet, and privacy. The only real nuisance are the mosquitoes. The swampy area nearby probably makes this problem unsolvable.

We managed to have a super time at Zoetry, despite a few disappointments on the first day. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Polish first
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This place has mastered the art of relatation. We love to go on vacation to a beautiful place, walk the beach, enjoy the sunshine, and follow it up with a great dinner. Zoetry is very small and relaxed. The staff is exceptional. The guests are very interesting people and we always seem to tie into a intersting couple to join us for dinner. There are no buffets (except the Friday night beach dinner) all the food is prepared specifically for you when you order and is visually worthy of a magazine photo, as well as fabulous tasting. I ate fresh seafood every dinner and was never disappointed. If you like loud beach music and wild pool games this place isn't for you. The spa is a nice treat too - I had a massage and facial that were great. People did dress nicely for dinner in resort wear. The wireless was good from our room and they have a computer room with a wired line if you need to use it. I also liked being able to make calls to the US from my room at no cost.

York, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

The resort, WOW!
The Beach, WOW!
The Staff, WOW!
The Service, WOW!
The food, WOW!
I really can't say enough, if you want the real meaning of relaxation, great service and a beautiful total environment, this is the place!
Thank you to the Staff!

Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

It truly is a state of mind. 4 days after leaving Zoetry, my head is still there and I still smile thinking of every second that was spent there over our 7 night stay. One thing is for certain: you must love and enjoy who you are at Zoetry with or it will be miserable time, as the resort is designed to give you a very special time with someone you love, in my humble opinion. I do believe this may be a factor in some of the recent poor reviews of the resort....because clearly Zoetry delivers on what they advertise. I am still unsure as to why people are expecting a 5 star resort when that is not what they advertise!! That's like going to McDonald's and complaining because their beef is not from grass fed cows. Yep, ridiculous. Also, Zoetry did deliver on every item posted on their website as "Endless Privileges" and delivered well!

My wonderful wife and I enjoyed every aspect of the resort and made some unbelievable friends in the process. Friends that were both guests at the hotel, and employees!!! I do believe the staff of Zoetry is it's strongest asset. Ramone, Kenny, Christina, Jose, Vladamir, Victor, Miguel,The BAND!! all of my other hermanos whose names are currently escaping me....my wife and I loved you all and you worked super hard and it showed...and of course the lovely Natalia! Who gave my wife a one on one wine and cheese tasting experience she will never forget!

The food was delicious. Grilled lobster whenever you would like it!! Coffee and espresso at your beckon call. We never got sick of the menu and it changed often and compared to other hotels/resorts, I can't believe anyone would ever complain about it. Picky eaters will be picky, I suppose.

I thought the snorkeling was unbelievable, loved the reef, and I went every day! Of course, I am from Minnesota, so take that opinion with a grain of salt. The beach in front of the resort is pristine and super clean....not so much on your walk towards "Target, Walmart, KMart, etc..." LOL!! The shops next to excellence (thank goodness we didn't stay there on our romantic getaway!)

The 70 minute hot rocks deep tissue massage was the best massage I ever ever received, easily. My wife won an "amazing" $80 facial at bingo (also a HUGE bottle of rum!)! Thanks for that, Zoetry!

The BBQ on Friday night was the best thing of the whole week. Sitting on the beach for 3 hours enjoying the greatest of foods in the greatest of company, is something we will never, ever forget. It will also be the cause of endless daydreams from here until we are back at the resort!!!

My wife and I loved the band. LOVED!! Some of the spanish songs that they were playing would literally bring a tear to my eye: they were so beautiful!! I would love a live recording of one of their "shows." They always played with such big smiles, we really appreciated all of their efforts.

We left the resort once, to go zip-lining....which was super fun and exciting...highly recommend it!

Bottom Line: Zoetry delivers in every way....more often than not, exceeding expectations in the process!

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

First I'll start by saying we booked this resort because it was recommended by my husbands boss who travels often. We didn't look at reviews or do any homework like we normally do. We just booked! Soooo, a day or two before we were to leave for Punta Cana I decided to log on to Tripadvisor which I have always done in the past BEFORE I book a trip. WELL! The latest reviews floored me! I called my husband into the room and said "OH MY GOD! we have to book somewhere else!!!" We immediately got on the phone with our travel agency and she gave us other options to look into. After looking at our options we decided to take a chance and just stick with Zoetry. We said to ourselves we are going in there with a positive attitude and those reviews are not going to ruin our stay.

Well, we arrive to Punta Cana and the weather was beautiful. (we were also a little freaked out about the rainy weather predictions online) So far, the weather is on our side, good sign! Now we get on our bus that's going to take us to the resort. The drive was about an hour because we had several other guests to drop off at different resorts. The drive didn't bother me at all because I WASNT driving =) I was on VACATION! We were the last drop off because I believe Zoetry is the last one on the strip.

We arrive at the resort and are greeted by Victor. Victor is a great man! Very discreet and accommodating. Thank you Victor =). At Zoetry there is no check in/check out time so when you get there, there is a chance your room may not be ready. Victor set us up in another room for the time being. Our "waiting" room was beautiful and I was prepared to stay there for the rest of my stay! But he assured us that we would like our room even more. The first thing my husband and I did was grab a bite to eat. We had a grilled lobster with vegetables. The following day my husband was terribly sick. We had no idea if it was something he ate or just a fluke. But the resort was support supportive! The chef made him a soup and a tea at 3:00am and sent it to the room. This was Tuesday morning. Everyone who knew called our room to follow up and see if he needed anything. My husband decided he was not going to ride it out and let this spoil his vacation so he asked to see a doctor. We saw a doctor who prescribed him antibiotics and by that afternoon he was able to leave the room.

We went on two excursions. Both were fun. One was snorkeling with Manta Rays and Sand Sharks and the other was ziplining. The Zip line excursion was fun. Getting there wasnt. It was a very bumpy ride. But worth it.

The resort staff was super nice and I miss them already! Ramon, Jordanis, Miguel, Maritza, Angie, Christina, Victor, Carlos and everyone else whose names I can't remember. Everyone was so nice and so friendly. We met Natalia on our last day. She seemed nice. It seems like the work no is not in their vocabulary.

The room was always clean. We are early birds. We go to sleep early and wake up early so we never really utilized the room turn down but one night we were out late and we came back to find our room ready for us to sleep. We should have come in late more often =). One of the complaints that I read on other reviews was that the room wasnt always stocked with wine or champagne. We aren't big drinkers so that wasn't an issue for us but there was red and white wine the first night. I guess if we would have requested more we would've gotten more but it was not a big deal for us and not having wine in our room every night did not ruin our vacation since there is liquor or wine anywhere you go on the resort.

The food is AWESOME! So tasty! And there were times my husband ordered things that were not on the menu and they made it for him.

I read some complaints about the pool being dirty. That's not the case! Every morning the pool staff is out there testing the water and skimming for debris that falls from the palm trees. Sand gathers at the bottom in certain spots but what do you expect? You're at a beach resort and the guests go from the ocean to the pool. Maybe the guests should rinse their feet better before going into the pool!

Bottom line, this resort is a great resort for someone who wants to get away from it all. It is not a party resort, or a hook up spot. It is a nice, relaxing and beautiful place. It's a place you go to for long walks on the beach and to be catered to. A place you go to to reconnect with the person you love.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I have to say that I read these reviews a lot before I went, and so did most of the people we met there. All of us said we were kind of concerened because of the rash of bad reviews, but in the end we ended up laughing at the people who gave this place 1 star. I don't know how much of a pain you have to be to have a bad time here, but we (and everyone we met there) had a great time.

This is not a do-er's type of place. That isn't meant as a bad thing, there are activities, but mostly it's meant for just relaxing, and they really deliver on that. There are always plenty of lounge chairs/bed around the pool or beach and the service at them was fantastic.

The employees were awesome! They were so friendly and happy to help in any way they could. The food was wonderful, best we have ever had at an all-inclusive. Room service was great and quick.

I haven't hit everything that is great about this place because there is too much. But if you are still reading this let me sum it up for you. If you are laid back and want a nice relaxing beach vacation, this place is awesome. If you are expecting this to be the ritz carlton, it is not. There are bugs, and lizards etc. You are in the jungle...that kind of happens.

Waterloo, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Based on the variance of reviews I have seen here, it sincerely seems that our friends in Europe are getting some “over-hyped” package about Zoetry and probably a very hefty price tag to go along with it. I also expect that many people are expecting the equivalent of a 5 star hotel (by European or U.S. standards) in the Dominican. It is a shame that the hotel and service didn’t live up to your expectations. Having travelled fairly extensively through Europe, the U.S., Caribbean, and Brazil, I would say that a 5 star hotel in ANY of those country’s is more luxurious, service oriented, higher quality food, and more manicured/detailed in appearance. So if you go to ANY Caribbean resort expecting it to match up to a Four Seasons, a Kempinski, Ritz Carlton or even Fairmont (mostly 5 star hotels), you are going to be disappointed.
However, for the 10 or 15 trips we have made to the Caribbean, across 6 or 7 islands/area’s, I was very pleased with Zoetry. Compared to other ALL INCLUSIVE resorts IN THE CARRIBEAN, I would put Zoetry up against most any I have stayed at for Food, Room Quality and Service. Their dining was, overall, better than anything I have had elsewhere in this region. It is refreshing to be at an all-inclusive vacation and get menu service at every meal (no buffets). Presentation and quality of all meals was excellent. But, we were only there 5 days and I don’t know if they change their menu’s weekly for variety for longer stays. It would get tiring if they didn’t (but I have also gotten tired of buffets/restaurants at big resorts after a week). Drinks - it may sound silly, but most of their rum based drinks tasted better than anywhere else we have been. Also, the bars are fairly well stocked in variety so I didn't hear them turn down any drink requests.
The room comfort/quality was as good as any other hotel - designed primarily in classic Caribbean décor with a Zen influence. That style is a little more rustic and not for everybody - if you are looking for the marble, brass fixtures and glass of one of the higher end Iberostar type mega properties, it won't be located here. If you have not been exposed to classic Caribbean resorts, this might not be comfortable for you. The same might be said for their menu which does lean heavily on local fare (but we loved).
The resort is very quiet and relaxing. Compared to other resorts, you can have your pick of chaises on the beach and literally 20 feet in each direction of your own space. Other reviews have pointed out debris on the beach – which is true – once you go east and off of their property. Otherwise, the beach at the resort is very nice. Mosquitos – at night, yes, this is a problem. We also used the spray but it didn’t stop most of them. Language barrier – in my opinion, no different than Mexico or Cuba but compared to a colonial island (Barbados, Bahama’s), yes it is more challenging getting along. Most of their staff have fairly decent to good English but a few are clearly still learning. Then again, learn a few phrases in Spanish and you can get along (after all, it is WE who are in THEIR country). Don’t expect a party or non-stop activities by the pool. This resort is all about relaxing, spa time, eating, drinking, and sleeping. There are activities but they are subdued and unobtrusive. No microphone and activities team pulling people out of their chaises – no salsa music playing by the pool all day. Quiet, and chill out in the sun. As for housekeeping, we had service 3 times a day (as advertised) with turn down service and candles lit at night when we returned from dinner. Fantastic (not always timely, but did a very good job). The grounds overall were well kept and cleaned constantly – maybe not as manicured as other resorts but well enough.
For those that had a bad experience with weather, or pool breakdowns, or conflicts with their booking, I feel bad about their experience because I do think this is a very good hotel by Caribbean standards. If issues were caused by the hotel, I am surprised that they weren’t resolved as Natalia and her team, we felt, did everything possible to make us feel welcome and at home. There was no request that they didn't accommodate immediately. I find Dominicans to be the most helpful, friendly and courteous staff of any island/region in the Carribean (and elsewhere I have travelled). The folks at Zoetry were generally excellent.
Last comment – the advertised rate shows from $344 to $1120. This resort – as good as I think it is – is not worth the top end of that scale. If I had paid anywhere close to the $1120 rate, I would understand the negative comments and the feeling of being overpriced. Since we paid closer to the bottom of the range, I felt it was totally worth what we paid. And the beach front room/view was excellent.
Good luck!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana? Share your experiences!