“Overbooked us... Bait & Switch.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

You added Zoetry Agua Punta Cana to your Saves list
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Uvero Alto, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Appleton WI USA
“Overbooked us... Bait & Switch.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I only wish I could comment on our experience at Zoetry. Zoetry overbooked, we were notified at the last minute and so we never got to experience the property!!! We travel a fair amount all over the world and I've never, ever had anything like this happen.

I don't think I've ever written a review for anything but this one seemed worthy.

We booked our trip in December after much research for a week in Mid-March. We were very excited to go. I had booked the trip via Expedia which made me a little nervous so I contacted Zoetry directly. After a couple e-mail attempts, I got a confirmation from Zoetry of our reservation, and even a follow-up confirming our airline info and they told me to not worry, all was set. If only that were the case.

We were set to fly out on a Friday and even received an e-mail confirmation from Expedia on the Monday before we were set to leave. Thursday afternoon, we literally have our bags packed and in the car ready to go down to the airport to spend the night and we got a call that Zoetry was overbooked. They claimed they sent an e-mail weeks ago, but we didn't receive anything and as I mentioned I had confirmations as recent as three days prior. And let's just give them the benefit of the doubt, when you didn't get a reply, why wouldn't you call???? But no one called or left a phone message until the afternoon before our flight.

So, the solution? Zoetry's first solution was that we come another week. No comment on that. With flights, jobs and kids, NOT an option. Then they offered to move us to a sister hotel and give us a free week at Zoetry next year. This may be a good deal for some, but when pressed they could not give us the same oceanfront room we had paid for and I couldn't fathom trusting they'd give me free week next year when I couldn't get the week this year that I paid for and reserved months ago.

Not satisfied with what we felt was a "bait & switch" approach, we finally contacted Expedia. Literally taiking to them on the cell phone while my husband was driving down to the airport - we rearranged our accomodations. Of course we are completely at the mercy of the Expedia guy on the other end. Thankfully the Expedia guy was a good guy and went out of his way to help us. He even stayed past his shift trying to work things out for us. He made us a reservation at a "comparable hotel"... so off we went completely in the dark as to whether we really had a place to stay and whether it would be nice. Luckily the Expedia folks did a nice job and as luck would have it we were at the Sivory resort which is essentially right next door to Zoetry and it was FABULOUS.

Zoetry might be a terrific property with terrific service... but we wouldn't know

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We arrived at the airport, hot and sticky after a long overseas trip. The car was waiting for us as soona s we set out of the airport. In the car, towels and water and champagne were handed to us. What better way to start your holiday?
Once we arrived at the hotel we received a welcome drink a tour of the hotel by the boss herself - Natalia.

The rooms are huge, very well kept and the definite plus was the huge tub and rain shower in the bathroom. the rooms are cleaned, towels changed, bed made, mini bar filled 4 times a day and every evening, the latest news on the hotel and the activities.

During the whole of our stay, if you needed ANYTHING, at ANY time, all you needed to do was ask. Natalia and her team made sure our stay was without glitches and frustration... And it was!

Being european, we appreciate good food, good wine and good service. There was no doubt that all three of these conditions were met and the setting of the hotel in luscious, impeccably kept garden made our stay perfect! What more can one ask, when looking for piece and quiet than a 52 room hotel with a great pool, good food, good beverages, great service and view on the sea?

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

We stayed in Zoetry Agua at the end of March and it was an incredible experience to say the least. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with smiles all around from their very friendly staff. We had to wait for our room as the hotel was slightly overbooked, although we came prepared and were able to spend the afternoon on the beach sipping on some cocktails. No complaints.

The rooms are beautiful and look even better than they do in the pictures. Very pleasantly surprised so we immediately made ourselves at home. Fully stocked minibar, TV (channels weren't great but we could always manage to find something to watch), and an incredible tub (perfect for spending your first night in sipping some champagne which gets delivered to your door).

The resort grounds are very well-maintained, always people around trimming and watering etc. The entire place is absolutely beautiful with an amazing pond, my favourite resident was the turtle! The beach is stunning, so peaceful, clean and not crowded. The privacy of the beach is maintained by 24 hour security, although as you spend your day on the beach you barely even notice them while they are doing their job. The water is gorgeous. We were surprised at how warm and calm it was around the resort - good for snorkeling. Further up the beach, the waves were quite rough.

The food is very good. There is a decent amount of choice in the three restaurants, especially when you consider the small size of the resort. The chef has no issues when making a dish exactly how you want it, although there were minor misunderstandings when ordering things 'plain'. All in all, very tasty. Drinks are plentiful! There's a great range of premium brand alcohol. I suggest the Mamajuana!!! Also, while relaxing on the beach or by the pool, there is no need to get up to order food or drinks. Instead, waitresses are always walking around offering to bring you something.

The service in the hotel is top notch!! We had never experienced service like this anywhere else in the world to date. All the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and go out of their way for you. Particularly brilliant were Jose the bartender, Carlos the waiter, Manolo and Eduardo at front desk. A true gentleman was Ambi who deals with food and drink at the hotel. He helped us to set up a private dinner on the beach for my birthday. We had no idea that he was going to have a birthday cake prepared for me with my name and everything on it!! It really made me feel special as at other hotels, staff don't really bother to ask your name.

Overall, we had the most amazing trip of our lives! We are aware that the resort is not long open and they have minor things to iron out. I must credit the staff for always asking how they can improve the quality of their service even more, and the resort in general. We will never forget this holiday and we will most definitely be back in the coming future. HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

As a well seasoned traveller to 5 star resorts in the caribbean, (3 trips per winter) I chose Zoetry Agua Punta Cana for a relaxing escape from my daily life as a wife and mother of three children. I have recently stayed in both the Secrets Maroma and Dreams Tulum, both owned by the same parent company as Zoetry; and thus expected not only the same outstanding 5 star service that they provide but that 'little bit extra' that Zoetry claims to provide. Unfortunately, my trip was not all that I had hoped for.

I will try to keep my facts brief about my disappointments.

Upon arriving at the hotel and unpacking I discovered I had no hot water. This was at 4pm. After 2 calls to the front desk and one visit in person (and 18 hrs later!) I finally had a hot shower.

Traveling alone, I prefer to dine in my room for dinner most nights. My room had no Room Service menu when I arrived, and it too took 3 separate requests to get one - which I ended up having handed to me in the front lobby, despite my directly asking for it to be placed 'in' the room for me (as I was on my way elsewhere).

The '3 times daily maid service' never happened. The first 4 days of my 7 day trip, the maid never came until 2pm! Then at 10:30pm - when most people are already in their room for the night (as the resort has no evening entertainment).

I was situated in an Ocean Front suite with a plunge pool. Sounds great - but No. The first three days of my trip it rained and so the pool went unused and filled to the top. Once the rain stopped, someone came and drained the pool to only half full - and there it remained for the remainder of my stay - half full and not once cleaned, full of sand and leaf debris.

Another (small to some I know) frustration was the lack of internet in my room. While the resort claims to have internet available in all rooms, it was 'down' when I got there. Upon enquiring at the front desk, I was told it was being repaired and would be unavailable for 'a day or two'. At the end of my 7 day trip it was still 'unavailable'. Seeing as I had promised my young son that I would 'Skype' with him every night before bed - this was incredibly disappointing and frustrating to say the least. While internet was available in the front lobby - it was not always comfortable to sit in the evening with your laptop in the open air building while being eaten by the over abundance of mosquitos.

There were numerous other 'small' frustrations such as having to call the front desk at 8pm to ask for towels, as I still did not have any from that days cleaning. The television in my room had only one english speaking channel that was not sports and the room service menu for 'Dinner' is very limited. The champagne and SUV pickup from the airport that was supposed to be included was also missing.

In light of all the negatives I experienced on this trip I have to say that the service staff at the bars are the highlight of the resort. Each one makes the effort to learn your name and engage you in conversation. I was also fortunate enough to be able to go horseback riding 3 separate times on my trip and my thanks to the co-ordinator (sorry I cannot recall her name!) that helped arrange my private excursion.

While I understand from others that I spoke to while there (whom were voicing their frustrations over similar issues) that Natalia is trying her best to be on top of everything and puts in very long days; there are still numerous 'kinks' to be worked out of this resort. After my first few trips to the lobby to try and rectify an issue, I felt as though the staff were less than pleased to see me coming and Natalia herself never once came to see me about my issues.

I hope Zoetry Agua is able to overcome it's many little problems and grow into the wonderful resort that it has the potential to be. If it does not, it will not last.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for you clarity and thorough feedback, I wish I had met you personally to take note of all the numerous "kinks" (as you so kindly put it) you encountered over your visit.
Thank you for the generous recognition of my efforts to be on top of it all and working hard to make this a permanent top quality resort, as it is evident from the comments of your experience, in your case neither I nor my team have been able to keep up and deliver what you were righteouss to expect: better communication, follow up, solutions and consistency. My sincere apologies to you for not being able to provide all of that to you during your stay.

The potential you made a point in mentioning at the end of your review, is indeed our objective and none of your remarks will go unnoticed. Communication within the Front Office staff and the rest of the departments, Intermitent WIFI service, TV Channel offer and Room Service menus are being solved as I write to you.

I would be even more grateful if I could contact you directly, we want to make it up to you. If you were to consider it, please forward me your contact details to info.zoapc@zoetryresresorts.com or to my profile on Facebook: Natalia Zoetry Agua.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and rest assured that we are committed to overcome our "growing pains" and evolve quickly and effectively to the wonderful experience we want to guarantee when choosing Zoetry Agua.

Kind regards,

Natalia Redondo

ps. I have told the team at the bars about your nice comment towards the great job they do.
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Very poor experience with the quality of service. Every day they ran out of something, several days no towels at the beach, lack of ice and water at the beach restaurant. The staff had very poor english skills or no english skills at all. The restaurants in the evening could not match the ordered item and what was actually served. I believe the resort needs extensive work in developing their amenities to match what they perceive is a 5 star resort. The rooms were very nice and well kept by the maid service. Their were evenings when turn down service came to the room at 11 pm after already being in bed.

I would wait several months to see if the quality of service improves before I would give a positive recommendation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We apologize for the lack of communication you experienced throughout your stay, specially at the restaurants. We have acted on your comment and will be engaging our staff on english classes starting next week.

As for the lack of amenities, there is no room for excuses, you are right about expecting a 5 star resort to be able to provide with everything in a consistent manner, therefore we have also taken course of action today in fixing the supply chain of what you mentioned (towels, ice and water).

Thank you for granting us the benefit of the doubt in the end of your review, we will make sure that it is certainly not "months" before we can provide the kind of experience that deserves not only a good review but recommendation. Would you be willing to come and see for your self? would you give us a second chance? Please contact me at info.zoapc@zoetryresorts.com if you were to consider it (or at Facebook: Natalia Zoetry Agua).

Thank your for taking the time to post your review, direct feedback is the only way to grow and get better every day, pleasing our guests is our only objective and all of us working here put our heart into it. We will make sure that all the right tools and elements to transpire it to every one that chooses Zoetry Agua for their stay in Punta Cana are in place.

Kind regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

When I arrived at Zoetry, I was a "woman on the edge" of a nervous break-down. Kidding aside, I was working over 240 hours a month the last few months. Our trip down here was as stressful missing our Miami connection. I was not in a good frame of mind when arriving. I was afraid there would be nothing to do, that we made a mistake booking a resort so far from anything. I was very very wrong. Six days later I am extremely relaxed. The staff is amazing. I give them a 10+. My only complaint is that their English could be a little better but then again so could my Spanish. Zoetry is an all-inclusive resort. For an all inclusive resort, the food was fabulous and fresh. When you order, stick with the sea-food. It is awesome. You can also order lobster grilled off the menu. My husband and I had a wonderful time. This is a place for honeymooners, anniversaries, persons needing to get away from it all. The drinks keep pouring but there is no swim up bar. The place is secluded. The people who are here are quiet and nice and very fit. There are no snacks but you can order off the menu all day long. The beach is pristine. My husband and I walked for an hour each way. They have daily stretching and walking classes. There is a spa and I had a few massages but they are over-priced compared to the best spas in the states. Though I did not care once I was here. We had champagne/cava delivered to our room everyday. The free wi-fi and international calling is a big plus. We made friends and forgot about everything back home for a few days. I would return again mainly because the staff was so good and they all know your names by the time you leave. Big thumbs up!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Before my husband and I booked our honeymoon, we did lots of research and finally chose Zoetry Agua. We were excited just looking at the photos on the website and reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. But none of what we read could have prepared us for the fabulous experience we would have from the moment we arrived!

Much has already been said about the beautiful rooms, delicious food, excellent service and gorgeous beach. What I would like to highlight is the vibe of total relaxation and warm hospitality that we felt at this resort. Because it is small, the service is extremely personal. We got to know the front desk staff and many of our servers, including David, Jeremy, Manuel, and Pedro- who made a point of remembering and preparing our favorite foods and drinks, and always made us feel like we were family. There were ample palapas on the beach, always an abundance of fresh towels, and someone available to help us at every turn...from Victor, Willy, Jordana, Rosaura, Adelaida, and Kelvis to the rest whose names I can't remember- all the staff were really nice. We also loved the strolling musicians and the couples massage on the beach (by Rafaella and Yuri), which was excellent.

This is the place to go if you are looking for peace and quiet, not lots of excitement and activity. If your idea of a good time is lying in a hammock, walking on the beach, getting a massage or napping under a palapa, you will love it. If you're looking for wild nightlife and lots of water sports, you might be bored.

If you do decide to go, splurge on the oceanfront room. We stayed in room #50 on the top floor. It was incredibly relaxing to lounge on the porch with the endless view of the ocean and hear the sound of the waves crashing at night while we slept!

The beach at Zoetry blows other resorts in Punta Cana out of the water. It's clean and the water is calm and swimmable all day long. Because the nearest resorts are a hike down the beach in either direction, there is a feeling of total seclusion.

Only two small complaints, neither of which would keep me from going back in a heartbeat. 1. The resort sprays for mosquitoes every night at sunset and it would be nice if there was a bell or an announcement that went off on the property to give you time to get back to your room so you don't get stuck running through the insecticide fogger. Even though they say it's safe to breathe it, I don't want to be fumigated. 2. The beach on either side of the property is littered with plastic bottles and other junk that has either washed up from the sea or been dumped there. It would be nice to see Zoetry, along with the adjoining resorts (Sivory and Excellence) get together and share the commitment and responsibility for maintaining those beaches, to protect the valuable and fragile nature of this beautiful slice of the world.

Two travel tips: It can be helpful to learn a little bit of Spanish before you go to the Dominican Republic. It goes a long way towards helping you connect with the people and understanding the culture. I think this is true wherever you travel. Also, be flexible and don't let little things upset you. Slow down and enjoy the pampering, because before you know it you'll be at home, working and cooking and cleaning and you'll wish you were back at Zoetry...

All in all, an outstanding vacation! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for you lovely review, all the staff have recieved your kind comments. We are very happy to know that you had such a wonderful time with us!

As for your suggestions, as of tomorrow our Fumigation team will work out a fix schedule and it will get published in our daily Sundial Newsletter and it will also be mentioned upon check in, thank you for the suggestion!
And about the litter on the beach, every two weeks the staff of Zoetry Agua goes out at 7am with plenty big trash bags to pick up all the plastic that gets washed on the sides of our beach. We will make a point of keeping track of the state of our neighbor's beaches in between our "cleaning days", specially after a rainy day when the ocean throws out all of the trash it receives daily from the boats accross the Caribbean (is amazing that still nowadays people are so unaware of the damage they create when throwing out somehting off the rail of their boat-yacht!). Thanks for pointing this out!
We hope to be able to welcome you back any time soon,

best regards,

Natalia Redondo

Been to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana? Share your experiences!