“Maybe Not In The Off-Season!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

You added Zoetry Agua Punta Cana to your Saves list
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Uvero Alto, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Jersey Shore
“Maybe Not In The Off-Season!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a difficult review to write. I have to agree with a lot of the positives that have been written about this resort and I'm sure that if you come in November when all the construction is over (or so Zoetry promises!) that everything will be wonderful. Our problem was that we chose to visit the place during their off season - the resort was only 1/3 full - and they were capitalizing on the low capacity to get a lot of their maintenance done. The major additions - basically doubling capacity - really didn't affect us at all. This portion of the construction is separated from most of the resort and the impact of it, as has been described by others, was minimal. However, the thatching (cana) that is basically the roof of every building needs to be replaced about every 8 years and it's being replaced on many of the buildings right now. As a result of this, the Indigo restaurant was being entirely gutted and was closed for the entire week we were there; also necessitating the closure of the (adjacent) main pool for three consecutive days because of falling debris. The same work was also being done on the coffee bar; internet cafe and boutique keeping them closed for the week as well. These three shops will probably be completed as I write this and the Indigo Restaurant work was moving quickly - my estimate was that it would be completed by the first week in October (2013). The bottom line on all this from a review standpoint is that it probably won't affect YOU as a future guest at all. But I do think the caveat is that while off season prices may be lower and rooms may be more available, resorts use the time (understandably!) to do their heavy maintenance when there's fewer guests. Problem is, it makes for a less inviting stay. We were placed right next to the construction - supposedly an upgrade, but the workmen were very noisy starting at about 7 AM. Add to this fact the problem that only one of the two other restaurants was open each night made our dining choices very limited. Incidentally, of the two restaurants only Amaya has AC. Olena therefore can be very uncomfortably warm at this time of year and when you have no alternative choice of restaurant...well, we sweated a lot every second night!
OK; enough about the "unfixables"! The place itself is beautiful. Grounds are well kept and as I said, all the thatch is experiencing a makeover - even on the guest rooms and walkways. The pools are very nice but they as well as many of the the walkways could use some resurfacing in the future. Not a big deal though.
I would rate the food as "very good" although not the "excellent" some other reviewers have given it. We could have used a bit more variety, but with one of the restaurants out of commission this was probably a big factor. Lunch on the beach was great! Their beef was excellent; something that is pretty unique in the Islands! All the adult beverages are top shelf. My wife and I are martini drinkers and we were able to imbibe our normal Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire's "No Problem"! Although there is a "for purchase wine" list (rather steep in price), the "included" wines were all pretty good.
There was always enough space under a palapa on the beach or at the pool (when it was open). But as I said, the resort was only 1/3 full and will be doubling its size. I'd have a little concern about beach accommodations in the future since it did not appear that the beach size will be increasing to match the additional guest load and full capacity would make it 6 times as full as we were this week. Towels were plentiful and the chair cushions were replaced when we were there.
The staff here are what set the place a step ahead. They really did know our names by the second day and greeted us as such continually. I probably won't remember all their names, but Merina, Fernando, Juan, Juaquin and Rosalia of the wait staff were all spectacular.
If I could leave management with one suggestion upon completing this note (I know they read every one from TripAdvisor!) it would be this. Some modest entertainment would be a real positive! I'm not talking about a disco or stage show here; I actually don't think it would be in keeping with the atmosphere of the place. But a nice piano bar in the lobby would be great. After dinner there is literally NOTHING to do do here. Even the lobby bar only sports 6 stools that during our stay were often empty. It's a shame to have to go back to your room to Dancing With The Stars on vacation when there's such an easy fix that's available at just about every other all-inclusive resort - especially one that's trying to get to 5-star classification. Only saying...
Overall if we went back, it wouldn't be in the off-season!

Room Tip: #16 "would have" been an excellent choice. Adjacent to Indigo Restaurant; very close to t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Taiguey/Good Day-Good Sun

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your vacation experience at our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana.

As part of our Resort’s current efforts to improve its facilities for making them comfortable for our guests, we were led to make unexpected enhancements works. Every effort has been made to diminish impacts on you during your stay and we deeply apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Hopefully, we are pleased to communicate to you that the improvements of our restaurant are now completed and the results are highly appreciated by our guests.

It brings me joy to inform you that major upgrades are scheduled to be finished by November 15th, 2013. In fact, our Resort will be totally renewed and expanded endless privileges all-inclusive which include the addition of: brand-new luxury Suites, a new infinity pool with a swim-up wet bar, a fourth restaurant offering Creole Fusion cuisine, the ultimate in wellness spa treatments and much more.

Visiting us will always bring you peace and relaxing moments at any time of the year !

We would like to thank you for your patience and support that allows us to provide you the highest treat. We truly appreciate your comments about the staff service; I am persuaded that they are the best part of staying with us…

We hope you will come back soon to experience the many enhancements we made in our luxurious Zoëtry Agua!

Namasté,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Last year my wife and I went to Zoetry Agua for 10 days and to visit the location to have our wedding there. For the most part, everything was great but we had a mishap the night before we left - a staff member went into our room and stole some belongings including my wife's iPhone. Security tried to blame it on another couple we met there and then tried to say my wife was drunk and misplaced it. When they questioned the bartender, he stated she had only been drinking soda at the bar. We later found out one of our room keys was missing from the table and that's how the thief got in and tried to cover his tracks.

We were going to continue to write an excellent review and have our wedding here but it all changed quickly. I was contacting the manager Alain Bertholt who was not responding to my calls or emails therefore I spoke o the event coordinator Xiomara who was very prompt. Eventually we caught the their because he took pictures of himself in his uniform, in his bedroom on the property and it uploaded to my laptop via iCloud. Alain offered us a voucher for a free stay which we were happy about but also had mixed feelings about due to the loss. My insurance company was ready to reimburse me for the losses but could not reach Alain. He then sent me an email saying he received a few voicemails from my insurance adjuster considers the matter closed therefore I need to tell the adjuster and I to stop contacting him about the matter which made us furious. Considering we spent over $7000 on our stay, you'd expect them to go above and beyond to get us to come back.

This year, we noticed our voucher was going to expire and also that the responses on trip advisor were from a different manager so we assumed Alain was no longer there and therefore we should go on vacation.

When we arrived, it was just as great as when we first went a year prior. We noticed there were a lot of good changes and also some bad changes as they were under new management.

First during the check in, they couldn't find the reservation until I nervously pulled it up on my phone. Next, when they realized we had a free voucher, they decided not to give us the coupon booklet for the free massage and discounts on the spa and other activities on the event. Because of this we chose not to use the spa on the grounds of principle which was a shame because the last time we went, we spent almost $600 at the spa.

You no longer feel like its a cult with the phase "over the top" being used constantly. They're new saying is "excellente".

Many of the staff we saw last year are still there which must be a sign that they enjoy their jobs. They also remembered us and our names from last year. Some even came to stop by our villa to chat. Almost very staff member we spoke to who we've met in the past or were new heard about our situation last year and said they were there when the police came and made the arrest. They said that it was funny and embarrassing at the same time.

Unfortunately our favorite staff member Juan is no longer there but his niece is still there and we got to meet another excellent staff member Joselito.

The staff is very friendly, helpful, and will do everything they can to make you happy. The best part in my opinion is that the staff members I was unhappy with last year who I thought overstepped their boundaries and would flirt with the women were no longer there. Since they all seemed to be gone, I assume there were many complaints from others as well. I was very happy to see the new staff and still existing staff have been trained to not cross the line.

The room we had this year was great. We loved it more than the room we had last year. Mosquitos around the room are not as big of an issue as last year but it could also be due to the fact that this year we brought 3 giant citronella candles to burn throughout our stay. The ants seem to be a bigger problem this year. We were constantly getting bit on the beach, at Olena, and also in bed when we were sleeping. We woke up with bites all over our legs, some on our arms and some on our necks.

They need to use a different mosquito poison and set a night schedule to spray. While we were relaxing by the swim up pool, they were spraying and we got covered by a giant choking cloud of pesticide that didnt dissipate right away so we ran back into our villa. At one point the room smelled horrible because the chemicals came through the central air which caused us to both get sick and dizzy.

The food menus are the same but last year I complained about the food being extremely salty and over cooked. This year it's cooked better but still overcooked but they use less salt where you find yourself adding it in every meal.

Last year we made the mistake of doing room service and the beach dinner throughout the majority of the trip. This year, we used the restaurants during the majority of our stay and were much happier. Most of the portions were small so they learned to bring us double portions without asking.

Some staff had told us that things have gotten extremely slow over the past year. We leaned that there were only 11 occupancies during our stay.

Last year the wifi barely worked, they only had one router supporting the whole resort. Now they have routers in every restaurant so you can pick up a signal anywhere on the resort including the beach.

Construction isn't as loud but its still annoying. At one point they damaged something and the water and wifi was out for a few hours. We only enjoyed Indigo for one day and then thy began construction on it and started tearing it down. They also started to tear down the game room, cafe, and Internet room (I always thought they were a waste of space) I'm not sure what will take their place but it looks like its being turned into one large group of rooms.

Definitely think twice about the condiments when you eat. My wife and I both were iffy one day when they brought us mayo because it looked odd but we ate it anyway. It ended up being a bad idea and we both got food poisoning for about a week.

We brought citronella candles for the mosquitoes but they weren't too big of an issue. Be careful of the ants on the beach and in your room. On our last two days, we were eaten up by ants which had us itching for several days.

• Stayed September 2013
Taiguey/Good Day-Good Sun

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our relaxing Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana. A review like yours allow us to improve our services and do our best to make sure all guests feel 100% satisfied and beyond.

I deeply regret for inconveniences caused by the disappointingly steal. We will make sure to guarantee you our usual hassle free experience in the future and I obviously took note of all your remarks.

We highly pay attention in quality of our services and care to detail but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay. Indeed, your experience was definitely not reflective of our values and I do apologize for the same. I shared your comments with the appropriate department heads and I assure you of an immediate improvement.

It pleases me greatly to hear that you liked our Suite which offers luxurious amenities and comfortable facilities.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you in the future in order to show you how much we pamper our guests!

River Vale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

It was a nice , relaxing vacation. Zoetry is a very small quiet place, this place is not for families with kids. The staff is nice. The beach was very pretty and they do have restaurant service on the beach for food and drinks which was nice. The rooms are spacious and the turn down service with the flower petals was appreciated. The service in the restaurants is slow as a rule, but the waiters are very friendly, especially Eduardo. The horseback riding on the beach was very cool . Fernando,the activities coordinator, was a fun guy and the cooking demos and bike riding were fun too. I enjoyed my ride on the catamaran as well. The complimentary massage was appreciated as well. They were doing construction but it did not really make too much noise. I would have preferred if there were a few different restaurants to choose from. Usually at night and in the morning there was one restaurant open. The one by the reception was very warm. The one down by the beach was better. The food was good but there is not much variation in the menu from day to day. Overall , a nice vacation. We were there for 5 days which was a good amount of time.

Room Tip: The rooms get hot, the air conditioning did not get our room cooler than 78 degrees once during the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Taiguey: Good Day - Good Sun,

Dear Guest,

In the name of the Zoëtry Family I want to thank you for choosing our hotel once again in this trip to Dominican Republic. It is an honor for us to receive your reviews, because this encourages us to continue improving our service and also increases our commitment to your satisfaction.

Hoping to give you the welcome back to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana your home away from home!

Namasté

Lionel Gomez
Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The resort is designed for an intimate vacation or honeymoon with your significant other. If you plan on having a girls' trip or a bachlor party with the fellas, I would not recommend this resort. The food was good, healthy, fresh, and always available. Room service is prompt and attentive to all of your needs or request. Nightly turndown service and laundry! How can you beat that?! The staff went above and beyond to make our honeymoon one to remember for a lifetime. All staff members was incredible! There aren't enough words that can describe how well their customer service is. Whether a staff member spoke execeptional English or spoke very little English, every member did whatever they could do to give us presidental service. I will later mention all of the member who we personal had interations with.

Room Tip: I would recommend reserving a bottom floor room. You won't have to worry about disturbing anyone...
Wooster, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Zoetry Aqua Punta Cana in August. It was such a wonderful time. We were treated like Royalty. There was a lovely congrats cake in our room when we arrived. I was touched. A bit later some delicious fruits were delivered. All of the service was excellent. I adored all the staff. I even met the GM. I loved our swim up room. We did not opt for the 20 minute massage (I thought if would be a tease), but I read a lot of reviews that it is wonderful. I will for sure take advantage of that next time. Being a vegetarian, I thought I would not have many selections to choose from. I was pleasantly pleased at the food that was offered. I raved to the Food & Beverage Manager (name was something like Ahb..) about the Gazpacho, he introduced me to the Head Chef which in turn said he would have the recipe delivered to our room. The next morning we were just about to get into our shuttle to head to the airport when the chef came rushing to give me the typed recipe. So nice. I am happy to say I will be back this October and treating two of my girlfriends!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Taigüey-Good Day/Good Sun,

Dear Guests,

I am writing to thank you for the kindest review you shared with so many travelers around the world concerning your unforgettable stay at our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana. I want you to know how much we appreciate going beyond your expectations and treat you as a special guest. I forwarded your compliments to our staff that constantly makes great efforts to preserve all the good services and continues to pamper guests in every single detail.

Great to hear from your comments that you felt like a Royalty. This is the minimum we can offer to our special guests... Our swim up Suites provide some privacy to our guests. However there is always an employee to take care of your vegetarian favorite dishes.

A serene oasis of pure Caribbean hospitality is the first thing you will feel when entering to our magnificent paradise. From this moment, our privileged visitors will discover our impeccable property and attention to detail that really will awe them.

The philosophy of taste at our sophisticated a la carte restaurants invites guests to leave the hustle and bustle behind and enjoy the pleasures of the table through the "Zoëtry Experience", a tribute to the culture of Mediterranean and Caribbean cuisine, which offers feelings you should not miss.

We look forward to have you and your friends join us for your upcoming vacation in October, we assure you will create great moments at our Zoëtry Agua wonderland!

Santa Monica, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place is absolutely stunning. When we arrived I expected to see much more guests milling around but soon found out this place is much more intimate and personal feeling compared to many of the other resorts on the island. As soon as we got out of our taxi we were greeted with 2 glasses of delicious ginger ice tea while they took our bags. Everyone and everything at this place is meant to make you feel comfortable, like the whole place was built for your comfort and relaxation. My girlfriend and I really grew to love the feeling of intimacy and almost having a sense of "ownership" of the resort.

The grounds of the resort are meticulously manicured and beautiful. The rooms are well thought out and spacious. We had a great private patio that we used when the rain would pass through during some of our days. The pools are wonderful and designed in a way that you can find our own private spot if you'd like. The spa is absolutely stunning with steam rooms, sauna, whirlpools, sensation showers, and quality massage therapists on hand.

The food is really, really good. Fresh seafood at all times, comfort items like burgers, steaks, and pasta with most of the vegetables and herbs grown in and around the grounds. We definitely took advantage of the 24 hour room service a few times. The drink selection was great with nice high end liquor and a changing selection of delicious custom drinks available each day.

You will also have free access to any of the other resorts in the Zoetry family. We went to the more family oriented and much larger Dreams Resort which was down the road a couple of times to play in the casino, hang out in the dance club and stroll around. It's a nice change of pace from Zoetry if you want to spend a night out around a bigger crowd/setting. The greatest part about it is that none of the other guests staying at Dreams, Secrets, etc can come to Zoetry without paying but Zoetry guests can go to all the other resorts free of charge with access to the all-inclusive food and drinks.

The best part of our trip was having the privilege of being served by some of the nicest people my girlfriend and I have ever met. They were there to help with anything at any time with a smile on their face. Hector, Francisco , Eduardo, Dany, Eddy, and many more names that I cannot remember at the moment. Please remember to always tip all the staff members, often and generously. They are working their butts off for you.

All in all our expectations were beyond met in every aspect. We cannot wait to come back to this little slice of paradise.

Room Tip: The rooms downstairs tend to be cooler and have less mosquitos in my opinion
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Taigüey ! Good Day-Good Sun

Dear Guests,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your precious time to let us know how much you enjoyed a memorable experience at our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana. I highly appreciate your invaluable and motivating comments that help us to continue taking individual care of our guests.

According to your comment, you could enjoy the joy of our Resort and that is our daily goal.

Our exemplary and delicate service defines the heart of our restaurants, prompt and impeccable, where the gastronomic experience that guests will discover includes traditional and authentic flavors in a contemporary way… a feast for the eyes, a triumph of colors and flavors!

we look forward to welcoming you back soon in our Zoëtry Agua, the perfect place to let your mind be free!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The absolutely best relaxation resort around. We have traveled a decent amount, and zone try is by far the perfect place to relax and do nothing. Perfect getaway with loved one!

The staff pampers you like no other, they know you by your name, the drinks are great, not weak, the food is superb. I can't say enough about this place. We went for our 1st anniversary and are planning a return trip.

• Stayed October 2012
Taigüey-Good Day/Good Sun,

Dear Guests,

Regarding your cherished vacation at our Zoëtry Agua wondrous paradise, I would like to extend our gratitude for supporting us with such a valuable advice. The whole Zoëtry Family appreciates your positive encouragements and improvement ideas that allow us to keep our property evolving.

Guests like you who are looking for relaxing on their mind from daily thoughts could immerse themselves in an atmosphere of pure well-being by loving a journey of a thousand sensations, which will help them regain and maintain mental and physical balance.

Zoëtry Agua is a luxury Caribbean island and private playground, where elegance flirts with peace in a heaven of white sand beach, pristine waters and spectacular views. Guests just have to unwind in our secluded oasis of calm and indulge the tranquility provided by our restful sanctuaries.

We will highly appreciate to welcome you very soon, you will be surprised and pleased to rediscover our Zoetry Agua, where the sea and the sky meet in perfect harmony to make your dreams of relaxation come true…

Namasté,

Been to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana? Share your experiences!