“Wonderful week at Zoetry Agua” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Zoetry Agua Punta Cana to your Saves list
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Uvero Alto, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #7 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
NE
“Wonderful week at Zoetry Agua”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have recently returned from a wonderful week at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana. In 2010 we stayed at Zoetry de la Paraiso Bonita in Cancun and thoroughly enjoyed our vacation there, so we were very excited to try the Zoetry in Punta Cana.

Based on our needs and wants for a quiet couples getaway, we are big fans of small, boutique resorts and having been to a few it is hard to not compare one to the other. It is especially hard to not compare resorts within the same company. So on this trip we often found ourselves saying “at the Zoetry in Cancun…”. We travel to the Caribbean a few times a year and our November trip is our splurge, where we are willing to spend the extra money to stay at high end resorts that tend to offer and deliver better amenities, delicious food, and top notch service… we do not consider this a budget vacation.

To follow are my thoughts and personal opinions based on my 7-night stay at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana. The resort was at full capacity during our stay so I am certain each & every guest had their own experience which could be very different from mine. Everyone has a different set of needs & wants and what is a negative issue to one guest may not even be noticeable to another. My review is an honest summary of MY experience.

We landed in PUJ around 5:30pm; getting through immigration and customs was quick. After a near 1 hour drive from the airport, in torrential rain, our private transfer pulled up to the resort which was in complete darkness as they had lost power. While checking in the generator kicked on and we were able to go to our room. We were not at all put off by the weather or the flickering power, for us it added to the ambiance. Now had we been there and without power for hours, I am sure that ambiance feeling could have worn off quickly :-) But it by no means affected our first impressions of the resort.

We had a 2nd story junior suite that overlooked the serpentine pool. We loved the room! Especially the balcony which had 2 overstuffed cushioned arm chairs and a table w/ 2 chairs. Our view was nothing exciting, but the grounds are so pretty and it was so peaceful that it was nice to sit and be outside, knowing back home it was 35 degrees!!! The bed was to our liking and the his & her closets were the best! Midweek we did have an issue with no hot water one afternoon/evening which was not a big deal, but the next morning when we were still w/o hot water we called the front desk and by the time we returned to the room at the end of the day it was fixed. We did get wifi in our room and on the balcony; our friends a few doors down did not. Nor did they have any issues with their hot water.

Except for our arrival night, we had turn down service nightly and our room was always done when we returned after a day at the beach. This was not true for our friends; the first full day they returned to their room which had not been cleaned. When they left for dinner they called to say they were going out and the room had not been cleaned all day and they would like it done before they returned at 9pm. When they returned after 9:30pm, the room still had not been done and they felt it was too late to deal with at the time. In the morning they called for clean towels and then went and had a chat with a manager. No housekeeping problems for them after that, but at this caliber of a resort their room should never have gone 36 hours without anyone servicing it. Especially since Zoetry advertises that your room will be serviced 3 times a day (which even for me is excessive!), but it is what they advertise and if they can’t make it to the room at least once especially after multiple calls they are definitely falling short.

The free laundry is the best; what a treat to go home with almost all clean clothes. We also made one free call to the States, which is another nice feature of Zoetry. There is no check in or check out time at Zoetry which on our departure day worked in our favor as we had an evening flight and were not being picked up until 3:30p. We stayed at the beach til 1pm, grabbed lunch, and then returned to our room to shower and throw the last few things in the suitcase. That was much more pleasant than checking out at noon or paying for late checkout; wish more resorts did this!

Being on the 2nd floor we had a thatch roof, and during the early days of the week there was some heavy rain and we did have some leaks… the worse was above the bedside table and luckily the drip was loud enough that we woke up in the middle of the night and removed/dried off our phones & kindle and their IPOD docking station and put a trash bucket to catch the water. Not a big deal because nothing was ruined. Note: on our checkout day they had just begun repairing the roof of “our” building” so I am sure that suite will be leak free for the near future.

As other reviewers have noted there is quite a bit of much needed repairs going on, specifically with thatch roofs and stairs/upper walkways. None of which had a negative impact on our vacation. Yes we heard some hammering and power tools, but nothing that bothered us. If anything, it was certainly better than the loud, thumping music and screams from drunk adults that we had to endure at Secrets Capri! Now, had we wanted to go back to our room midday to hang on our balcony or take a nap, it may have bothered us.

There are plans to add another 40 or so rooms at the resort; before Zoetry begins construction I hope that they repair and maintain all the issues they have now and get those areas in tip top condition before expanding.

Being the tail end of hurricane season, Mother Nature was definitely up to something when we arrived and during the first few days of the trip. Not only was there a lot of rain & wind (mostly at night), but the seas were very, very rough which meant a lot of debris on the beach. Not just seaweed, but tree trunks! The staff made major efforts to clean it up, but with the swing of the tide sometimes it was not worth their effort. But they worked hard and did their best, and with the red flag out there was no going in the water til later in the week and by then the beach was cleared and the water was clearing up. There was NOTHING Zoetry or any of the resorts in the area could have done to provide their guests with crystal clear, calm water and a seaweed free beach during those days. Most of the rain & wind happened at night and the staff did what they could to make the grounds comfortable & safe. Once the red flag was taken down, we spent a lot of time in the sea and it was awesome!

We prefer the beach and this was a great one! Plenty of chairs and lots of palapas for shade. We often wandered down after breakfast, around 9:30-9:45a and had many front row palapas to pick from. At the end of the week we did notice that some early morning seat saving was happening around the pool.

Not all, but many of the chaise cushions and beach bed mattresses and coverings need to be replaced.

For the majority of our stay the red flag was out and we were not allowed to swim in the sea, so we took many dips in the pool. Others have mentioned the pool(s) need of repair, specifically at the bottom around the bridge that connects to Indigo. I was walking along and my foot hit something; I felt around and lifted up a big chunk (size of a bread plate!) of the pool bottom. I replaced it and reported it, but there were a few other areas like that. The pool sparkled and the attendants did a fantastic job keeping it clean, but that had nothing to do with the chipping & broken cement/gunite. Again, we had lots of heavy winds and rain so in the morning it was not unusual to see palm fronds and other leafy stuff floating in the pools, but as fast as they could, they cleaned it out. That said, the pool is clean and refreshing but it does need to be emptied and resurfaced. Again, something I hope they do before they start adding more rooms.

We did not take advantage of the free massages, but there was one rainy afternoon that we spent at the indoor spa pool and enjoyed the other spa amenities. Our friend used the fitness center daily and said the equipment was sufficient. We did not participate in any activities, day or night. Weather permitting we spent the entire day on the beach reading, resting, walking, talking and a late night dinner was our evening entertainment. We also met & talked to a lot of nice people. If anyone reading this is looking for loud music, drinking games, and a wild night life this is not the place you want to stay!

We really, really liked the food at Zoetry! We love seafood and there were many fish options on the menus: grouper, snapper, lobster, salmon, shrimp just to name a few. We ate at Olena’s on our arrival night and it was a good first impression! Our favorite dinner was the Author Dinner, it required reservations and was a set menu and the food was delicious. We also had room service 1 night for dinner, and it arrived within 20 minutes and was steaming hot! I had the steak which was better than the one I had at Amaya. We felt that for dinner entrée options, between the 2 available restaurants and room service we felt we had plenty to pick from for our 7-night stay. Breakfast & lunch menu did not vary, but again we were only there for 7-days and were completely satisfied and came home fatter & happier! However, after reading raving reviews we were so excited for the Friday night beach BBQ and when we found out on Thursday night that is was being postponed til Saturday, the day of our departure, we were so disappointed. For those of us who arrived after the last BBQ and were leaving before the next one, I wish they had rebooked it for Thursday evening. I know they cannot accommodate everyone’s schedule, but we were disappointed that it was not offered during our stay.

The staff is very, very friendly and helpful. I do not think I encountered one cranky person. There were a few that stood out as being particularly good at their job, but I do not like to name them individually as I would feel horrible leaving someone out. Almost always, the staff members who interact directly with the guests get the most kudos, but I have to say the groundskeepers and beach rakers are very hardworking men and do a tremendous amount of work to make Zoetry such a beautiful property.

Staff personality’s aside, we did feel that the level of service they provided was not up to what we would consider Zoetry standards. Food service, always with a smile & happy attitude, was inconsistent. It was our conclusion that perhaps some more training is needed. The staff seems willing and eager to please, but they seem to be lacking either training or leadership. At meals often things did not happen in proper order. “Proper order” some of you may be saying… well I feel at resort of this caliber the service should be consistent with a fine dining experience. The inconsistency was across the board for all restaurants, at all meals, but most specifically at dinner is when we found it the most disappointing. Often we were seated and before the water glasses filled, or a drink order taken, or a dinner roll offered we were being asked for our dinner order. We would politely say we wanted to order drinks first and from there who knew what would happen next. Sometimes bread was offered, other times we waited and would have to ask. Often we had to ask for water refills. Sometimes drinks came before the meal, sometimes it came with the meal. And more than once, not all 4 entrees were served at the same time. By no means did this ruin our meals, it was just disappointing and fell well below our expectations for Zoetry. In my mind this an easy fix; a little more retraining for all the restaurant servers would go a long way in providing the Zoetry guest with a proper dining experience. Some guests may be annoyed that something on the menu was not available or there was not any variety/change in the menu, neither of these bothered us BUT the inconsistent level of service did.

For comparison, I have stayed at Punta Cana Princess a number of times and in my opinion it is a ranking or few below Zoetry, however their dinner service at the a la carte restaurants was consistently better than Zoetry which leads me to believe that there is no reason why the service at Zoetry cannot be improved to the standards that one would expect from fine dining at a top ranked resort.

One other staffing issue we had was with the staff that “works” at the towel hut. Again, this comment is not about friendliness or attitude, but to point out something that did not meet and actually fell below our expectations of Zoetry. I am perfectly able & capable of setting up my own chair beachside, but at this caliber of a resort I would expect that if 2-4 staff members watch me enter the beach area and ask for towels, that at least one of them would offer to assist me. We were dragging cushions to chairs, moving chairs to palapas, the whole while 2-4 staff members were watching from the towel hut. Not one effort to help. This did not happen just one day, this happened to us EVERY day while we were there. I am NOT a diva, and as I said I am able to do it myself, but truly Zoetry should be providing some beach assistance. How difficult would it be for 1 of those staff members to greet with a “good morning, where would you like to sit today? Let me help you”. When asked for help they gladly did, but I don’t think guests at Zoetry should have to ask. Especially since there were more than 1 staff members doing nothing, it’s not like they were busy helping someone else. Perhaps some guests did not have to ask and were given assistance, but that just confirms the inconsistency in service as we watched many guests do just what we did. Again it’s my opinion that some training in this area is much needed. Or don’t have that many staff members hovering around the towel hut doing nothing as it makes them look lazy and is if they are not doing their job. Which I hope isn’t the case because if it is, the supervisors have bigger issues!

The men & women serving drinks/food around the pool and at the beach were fantastic! I think they have the hardest job on the property. Especially the ones working the beach… day after day walking through the sand fully clothed cannot be easy, add the hot sun and the humidity, a tray full of drinks, and a beach full of thirsty guests while maintaining a smile and happy attitude… these people are the true definition of “hard workers”. They are awesome!

Overall our vacation at Zoetry Agua was excellent and I definitely would recommend it. I wish I could say it was “better than expected”, but because of a few little things I can only say that overall it was what we expected with some areas above our expectations and some areas below our expectations. We are reasonable enough to know that there probably is not one resort that is going to be perfect and meet all of our expectations, but we will keep trying new places and roll with the good and the bad.

During the week we often found ourselves comparing the two Zoetrys and this what we summarized, based on our needs/wants/experience: We felt that Zoetry Cancun was top notch for all around service and exceeded our expectations; the dining service was consistent and the pool/beach attendants were very attentive. In fairness I would have to say the food at both Zoetry Cancun & Punta Cana rate equally… being different cultures, there is definitely a difference in the cuisine and we appreciate both. View aside, we liked the rooms at Zoetry Punta Cana much more than Zoetry Cancun. We LOVED the pool area at Zoetry Cancun, but LOVED the beach at Zoetry Punta Cana.

Although a long trip from the East Coast, we are considering Zoetry Casa del Mar in Cabo for next November.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for choosing Zoetry agua for your recent stay.

We want to thank you again for all these beautiful comments about our staff,service,food, beach,

You already know, you more than welcome in our Sanctuary of peace and love!

1,180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just returned from our 30th anniversary trip to Zoetry. Can't say enough good about it. We arrived in a torrential storm with the power going out. Still were greeted with enthusiasm and warmth. Managed to get a hot meal too!!

I would however like to address the complaints of others. First of all, if you are expecting things to be as they are at home, then stay home! Don't go to another country! Remember the expression, When in Rome...?
I heard complaints about the beach yet every morning and through out the day there were staff on the beach cleaning and scooping up debris and seaweed. Is it their fault that there had been a lot of rain and the local river had flooded? As for the pool, we watched from our suite every morning as the staff cleaned and scrubbed it. One day it was actually scrubbed with a sponge, by hand! Now that is dedication. We had maid service 3 times a day. Our floors were scrubbed, our towels changed out, and flower blossoms were placed on the bed. Each day the bed was arranged a little differently, very creative. As for repairs, yes they are working on the walkways however we never heard any noise except during the day. Our sleep was not disturbed in any way. Bugs, what do you expect, you are in the islands. The bug spray in the room was very effective and we used it in the evening so we could sit outside. The fumigation, the daily Sundial was very explicit about when it was being done. We had plenty of time to go inside during the spraying. As for the language barrier, all the staff worked very hard to understand and speak english but come on, you are in a foreign country, it is really your job to try and understand them, not the other way around. We did miss out on the beach barbeque due to two weddings but we never lacked for food. Always available and always plentiful.

We had a second floor junior suite and I would highly recommend it. More private than the first floor rooms and we had a wonderful view of both the ocean and the pool. Could even watch the weddings from our balcony!! It was like living in a treehouse and we loved it.

The staff was awesome! Hats off to Jaimie who entertained us in the evening with his wit and his dance lessons. David, you were awesome! "Over the top". The spa was wonderful. Partake of the complimentary massage but don't hesitate to go back for another!!

My only slightly negative comment would be about the food. The menus in the three restaurants did not change during the week. Although there was plenty to choose from it would have been nice to have an occasional 'special'. The one time we were offered the special menu, most of the items were not available or were changed. I ordered a potato salad and got a beet salad, weird. Loved the authors dinner. Our best meal. Loved the rolls and snacks at the Cocoa cafe too. That passionfruit dessert, amazing!!

Don't go here if you are expecting wild nightlife. Do go here if you want elegance, attentiveness, relaxation, gorgeous scenery and a romantic setting. It was our first experience with an all-inclusive and it was worth every penny!!!! Definitely honeymoon/anniversary material!!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms offer more privacy. Also great views of the pool, ocean and gardens. Suite 42...
Dear Guests,

Thank you for having choice this hotel for your 30th anniversary,and for mention our amazing Staff, who works every day harder to make your vacation unforgettable.

Sorry for the inconveniences with meals, and we promise your next stay here will be perfect at all!

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived at the hotel in torrential rain but were escorted to our room dodging the puddles with umbrellas. We had a beach front junior suite which was very tasteful and had a stunning sea view. Although we had to spend much time watching the wind and rain( which was bad luck as it is very unusual) it was more than made up for by the hotel staff and services. There are 3 restaurants all excellent and 24 hour room service. Nothing is too much trouble and the staff are friendly courteous and always showing enthusiasm. There is also an excellent spa and a complimentary 20 minute massage is offered as well as vouchers albeit massage prices are quite expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel and the fact it is small just over 50 rooms mean that you have all the intimacy and privacy and don't get swallowed up and lost in a huge complex where you are a number rather than a guest.

Dear Guest,

Is really pleasurable know that you enjoyed your stay in this magnificent paradise, despite the weather...

Our professional Staff will be happy to welcome and serve you again in a future vacation!

Best regards!
Windermere, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Zoetry Punta Cana after staying Nov 10-17, 2012. We were in a swim out suite (which was great!!!!). We stayed at Zoetry Paraiso in Riveria Maya for our honeymoon and were thrilled to come back to the Zoetry brand!

Things we loved
- Our favorite staff was Fernando at breakfast. He was so sweet and helpful. We also loved Juan at Indigo, Juan Carlo with room service, David at Amaya and Olena and Flor at Amaya. The staff was one of the highlights of our trip!
- Loved our swim out room! It was great!
-Food was great! So fresh!
- Room service was very fast!
- Loved the quiet of the resort. It was so relaxing.
- Awesome selection of TV channels!
- Bvlgari bath products are amazing!

Things for improvement
- The A/C in our room was very warm. It seemed almost in the night it was shut off. I am not sure if this is something you do to all the rooms, but it did not get very cool in the room.
- Because there was a wedding on Friday and we were there Sat-Sat we missed the beach barbecue
- We were saddened that the ocean was very brown- the staff told me that a local river was overflowed. You could not get in the ocean any day that we were there. It was a red flag everyday and there was tons of debris, and the ocean was very discolored. We were expecting beautiful waters, but we did not see this
- Food was great but a little more variety with breakfast would be good.
- Perhaps notify the guests that 2 of the 3 restaurants are outside- we packed warmer dinner clothes so it was very warm, and also it made for many mosquito bites.
- I did not mind the fumigation, but several guests were taken aback by this, especially with open air restaurants. I have to assume this is non toxic spray, but nonetheless it is a bad impression for guests.
- Gym was great, but if you were the first ones in there for the day the air conditioning was not on. Its on a sensor so it is very hot if you are the first guest of the day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AlainBERTHELOT, Guest Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Ms. Ashley,

Thank you so much for your review, for taking time to write about our strengths and weaknesses.

We would like to say that we are working to improve it, and we apologize for all these inconvenients.

In the meantime, we invite you to come back for your next anniversary, to experience the best vacation ever.

Our best regards!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my first all inclusive experience. Based on what I had heard about other all inclusive properties I expected there to be hidden charges for all sorts of things. Not here... 24 hour room service, all 3 restaurants, pretty much any beverages... they even included a free 20 minute massage. It was great to not have to mentally track my spending.

There is a $10 USD pp entrance tax at the airport and a taxi out to Zoetry is pricey so bring cash - fyi the hotel charges 10% for cash advances charged to your room.

We thought the service all around was superb... everyone was always friendly and seemed generally eager to please. However, they really should add another beach bartender... its just too much space for one person to cover so we frequently waited a while in between drinks. Everyone seemed to be constantly working hard though. The rooms and grounds were immaculate.

Overall I thought it was a beautiful and uniquely designed property.... and I could not imagine a more relaxing vacation. Would definitely recommend Zoetry, with two caveats...
1) Food - I thought it was overall good... some amazing some so so... but by the end of day 6 I was getting sick of the menus. If you are lucky enough to be on a 2 week vacation you might want to split your stay between two resorts. I think Zoetry offers some sort of exchange program where you can dine at nearby resorts... we admittedly were just too lazy to look into it. It would be nice if they added daily specials to help introduce some variety.
2) Price - seems to fluctuate a lot. We got a package deal on Expedia and paid roughly $350 a night. At that price with the ALL inclusive it felt like a STEAL. However, in my browsing I have seen the same place quoted at over $1,000 a night. Of course everyone's idea of expensive is different... but the day I pay that much for a hotel room its gonna be an overwater bungalow in Tahiti. As beautiful as Zoetry was, and as great as the service was... I didn't think it was $1,000 a night great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 19, 2012

Greetings from Zoetry Staff,

Thank you for having choice Zoetry Agua for your stay at Dominican Republic, and for take part of your time to share this review with other, and thanks again for recommend our property.

We would like to welcoming you back, very soon!
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We recently returned from a relaxing 3 night stay Nov 1- 4 2012. We stayed in the Suite Carib room #24 with our private plunge pool. The grounds ar well kept and have a real sense of nature. The beach was nice and not crowded. There was some work on the upper pathways going on during our stay, but it was not a problem. The restaurants were great. The angus beef and the lobster at Amaya was amazing. Lunch at Indigo was always fresh with homemade gucamole,salsa and warm chips. The gluten free design your own pizza option was a nice touch. The Cocco cafe was a great place for coffee drinks throughout the day.
I was dissappointed on the maid service. Our room was not cleaned until 3pm or later each day. And the mini bar was not refilled. I contacted the front desk and Juan Carlo came with in minutes with a tray full of water, wine snacks etc... We also enjoyed the free international calling. There were alot of bugs, but we used off spray at night and the two of us never got a bite. Some people were covered with them. We really enjoyed the layed back feel of the resort. We also enjoyed the complimentary massage which ended up being a 40 minute couples massage. We would return for a future visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Zoetry Agua Punta Cana for your vacations!

We apologize for the inconvenience you got here, and we will serious take care about this doesn't happen again to any guest in our property.

Is good to know you enjoyed anyway the relaxation is provided in this Santuary of peace!

We look forward to welcome back soon, and show our improvements.

Olathe, KS USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Thank you for making our Anniversary Trip so special. Team David made us feel like Kings and Queens for 7 lovely days and Jamie made the activities fun. You were "Over the Top" in meeting all of our expectations. It was a trip of a life time that we will never forget. A perfect place to relax and enjoy each others company.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front Suite was unbelievable. We so enjoyed the deck in the evenings and the ocean breeze...
Dear Guests,

Thank you for take part of your time to share this review with others, and for talking about how grateful was your stay here.

We look forward to see you in your 41st anniversary.

Best regards!

Been to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana? Share your experiences!