“Expectations a little too high” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro

You added The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro to your Saves list
The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Arena Gorda | Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #79 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Expectations a little too high”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

The resort was very big. Lots of different areas to hang out which turned out to be a blessing and a curse. If you forgot something in your room you needed to take the tram if you weren't in the main building. Swim up bar was really nice it's just not attached to the main pools. The food was pretty good the only suggestion is to try not to eat anything with water. Bottled water is all tourists can drink so be sure to use the jug in your fridge to brush your teeth and wash your face. The best part was the entertainment and mini club.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Travelled here in November 2013. The resort is very large, so unless you can catch the cart expect a lot of walking. The food wasn't bad-not too much variety but definitely edible. The beach is outstanding. Beautiful water and sand. The rooms were okay, always clean. We requested a King bed and were put in a room with two queens. By the time we got to our room we just decided to push our beds together as the lobby was a far walk. The staff was great. I wouldn't necessarily go back to this resort, but it is a solid 3.5-4 star. It's decent quality for the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've been to this resort 3 different times. They use to call it Grand Paradise Bavaro, now they've added The Club at, maybe they were trying to get away from bad reviews and word of mouth. Anyways, I'm in my late 20's and have traveled a lot. Usually going down south I don't expect a lot unless I'm paying $1,500 and staying in Mexico. Out of the 3 times my friend and I stayed there I got sick 2 of them. The last time was so bad I went through a lot of different tests at my doctors and got a nice phone call from public health saying I have E. coli. Again, I'm an experienced traveler and didn't touch their tap water and was weary of most foods and fruit. The second time I went I got the travellers. Neither were fun and if it wasn't for my friend I wouldn't have gone back the 3rd time. But our first time we didn't get sick and we met a lot of great Canadians so we kept going back. It's a good place for young people and it was party party. Those two times my friend and I got sick were just the worst. And we weren't the only ones. Talked to a lot of people who were suffering the same symptoms. Even if you only spend $600 for the week, the illness won't be worth it! The property was very large and lots of bars and restaurants with staff who don't what to be there. Last time I went there were less Canadians and more Russians so I think the word is getting out and Canadians are wiser than most. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. Went to Puerto Plata last time in Dominican and everything was top notch.

Sorry this is a bit all over the place but I specifically signed up so I could wright this review about this resort and let you know, people are getting sick at this resort so don't risk your vacation time and money at this one.

• Stayed May 2013
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I went there with the family in july 2012 and have to say that although it was not the best it was not the worst. The staff was pretty nice, except for the lady who made the dinner reservations at the lobby she was plain rude and I had to put her in her place sadly. The room was fairly nice and at least it was clean. The food was neither here nor there, I got sick from eating salad. I would not go back but must say for the price I paid I probably could not ask for much more.

Room Tip: The closer to the lobby the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Brunswick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We rented 2 rooms in this resort. One for my husband and I. Another for my 2 teenage boys. We all found this resort to be old and run down. The restaurants were definitely sub par. By days 3 of 7, we were eating only enough to keep our strength up. Every dish has a taste of cooking in some type of strong oil base. There was little choices in fresh produce. We eat very lean at home so we had little appetite for meat dishes covered with heavy sauces and gravy.

The beach is really the only awesome thing about this place. Its fine white sand and gorgeous surf. Be careful with young kids as the waves can be quite strong. All in all, I would not recommend this resort to friends. I would visit Punta Cana again but stay at another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This resort get award for The Worst Ever Resort.
(TripAdvisor- DO NOT REMOVE this review - it is unprofessional for you to remove bad reviews,especially if they are true. Seems like I am not the only one. I reviewed it in 2012 and you removed it!!!)

There's absolutely nothing good about it.
Let's start with the fact it is not a 4 star resort as Sunwing sold it to all the Canadians.

It is a 2 star resort at most. Nothing worked in the room(no remote for tv, no hot water, glasses, water,soap,bulb in toilet, non working jacuzzi) The welcome drink AND bottle or Rum the Sunwing package had was not provided on the arrival. Room smelled musty. Air Con was either too cold or too hot setting. Room had no toilet paper.

I got food poisoning from the food and attempted to fly home,but couldn't. Cold milk/mayo/cream based food would stay under warmers for many hours. Sometimes it had sourish taste since it would gone bad!!! Limited choice. Not enough food if you don't come at the opening time!!!

Rude waiters could just avoid you for the whole service.
The resort was packed with Russian speaking guests who sometimes were rude to the staff since they didn't know english and their way of speaking was a bit short and may seem rude,but it doesn't mean staff should treat all other guests in the same style.
Pool was always loud and had french music playing from early morning to late night(hotel was 70% russians,20% french and the rest are others).
Walk from the lobby and lobby rooms to the restaurant is like 15 minutes!!! many times there were no shuttles.

Do Not Disturb sign meant nothing and maids kept entering the room dispite the sign!!
No toilet paper in public places and bathrooms looked dirty.

Stay AWAY. I can't honestly believe anyone would even give 3 stars for this property. There's another hotel with similar name(which is better than this) and perhaps people are mixing them up.

Room Tip: none. stay away unless it's free!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed at Grand Bavaro Beach Hotel in Punta Cana in November 2011. I reviewed the resort honestly and it stayed posted for quite a while. It received several helpful votes but was recently removed.
I will keep this re-do as brief as possible. We payed an extra $200 per person for ocean view - only to be placed in a room on the side of a highway - in the furthest spot possible from the beach. A man - whom we thought worked for the hotel - offered to assist us and took us for a tour of the resort. When we asked if he was going to get our room changed he continually said he would do his best... we came to find out he was a timeshare sales person - and he had no intention of helping us!
The only alcohol available was rum - which they would attempt to pass off as vodka and rye. The lobby bar had premium brands of alcohol - at $5 US per ounce!
There were no toilet seats in any of the public washrooms - nor toilet paper - anywhere!
My husband was propositioned for sex by a resort staff member - and we were stopped by security guard who asked us to give him money.
3 days into the vacation my husband came down with a severe case of food poisoning! We found out later that many of the other guests were in the same boat!
The only working pool was filthy and the resort was in a state of disrepair! The majority of the staff were not friendly or helpful. When my husband was well enough to leave our room we got off the resort on day trips to try to salvage the remainder of the vacay!
If you have any questions about anything in the review, please feel free to message me.
Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro? Share your experiences!