“Have stayed six times at this resort...need I say more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro

You added The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro to your Saves list
The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Arena Gorda | Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #79 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Saint John, Canada
“Have stayed six times at this resort...need I say more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We have stayed at several resorts in the Dominican Republic and continue to return to this one. For our last trip we spent three weeks here. Why?

First of all if you are not an international traveler, do not expect of other countries what you would expect from a hotel in Canada or the USA. Not only are the cultures very different, there are simply some things that are not available. For instance. I have heard people complain they could not get a facecloth, something we take for granted will be in a hotel in Canada. However, Canadians and Americans are two of the few cultures that use facecloths. I am European and you don't find facecloths in most European hotels. The simple fact is that most Canadians and Americans could not even afford an all inclusive resort such as Grand Paradise Bavaro if it were located in Canada or the USA yet when in the DR I have witnessed people ranting and raving because of some simple thing that is not exactly like they expect it should be...after all they are paying "good money" for their holiday. Where could you stay in Canada or the USA, eat and drink all you want in a beautiful paradise for that same "good money"....you couldn't. Most of us could not afford such a resort and that is why to my they don't exist here.

In my experience, what I have found is if you don't rant and rave and if you treat your maid and other hotel workers well and with respect you will not only get what you want but it is my experience they will bend over backwards for you.

Now why do we continue to go back to Grand Paradise Bavaro? We like the size of the resort. We have been to "fancier" resorts but the food has been better at Grand Paradise with a better selection in the buffets. The resort is small enough that the staff get to know you and call you by name....an impossibility at some of the other resorts we have stayed at. When you go back a second time those acquaintances develop into friendships. Needless to say after 6 trips we know many of the staff and they treat us like kings and we try to do the same by treating them to some of our Canadian treats. Add to that, Grand Paradise is located on a beautiful beach and even during peak seasons we have not had any trouble getting chairs on the beach though at times it may take some searching.

Finally, if you go to this resort and you do have any trouble, I would recommend instead of ranting and raving that you nicely go to guest services and present your problem. If it is not looked after within a reasonable amount of time, go back and ask to speak to the manager of guest services. I know the manager and I can assure you that she is more than willing and wanting to make your stay a wonderful memorable experience.

This is the resort I have recommended to my family and friends. I have not had any of them return home disappointed.

The only one warning I would state is do not join Royal Holiday Club, which has an office located on the resort. If you want VIP service then ask the sales manager for Amhsa Marina's own Club which had been know as VRC. I have belonged to both. My experiences with Royal Holiday have been painful while with VRC, I have never been disappointed. Contact info for them is. Amhsa Marina Hotels & Resorts
T 809.562.7475 Ext 307 - 809-732-5441/5446. If you do decide on Royal Holiday do yourself a favour and google them first.

I should add that this past visit my I traveled with Santa and a couple of elves. We had sooo much fun handing out candy canes at the resort. See attached photos.

One final note...I rated the resort compared to the other resorts I have been to in the DR. The only reason I gave them four stars for rooms and sleep quality is because the rooms are near to the point that they do need some minor renovations...I do mean minor. Some of the reasons for that is that the DR has not had the building codes that we have in Canada and the US thus some minor things likely have never worked as they should have. I know that these renos are in the plans for the resort. Also, it is time to replace some of the mattresses. Again, they are in the process of doing that. When we were there they had just purchased 3000 new pillows and tons of new towels so they are certainly actively trying to keep things up-to-date. You need to remember this resort is on an island and things like mattresses need to be imported and cost more than they do here. When we are paying much less for a room there than here is it any wonder that it takes longer for them to afford to change the mattresses? Please understand, we slept well and I am comparing the mattresses to those you would be accustomed to finding in a hotel here.

For my next trip to the DR, my destination without a doubt will be Grand Paradise Bavaro.
convenient

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the beach end
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sussex, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I enjoyed my trip, but was disturbed by the way the resort treated the "elite" differently from the "clubbers". There was no coffee pot in the room...they don't put beer in the fridge, because there is a 24hr bar....that bar is the sports bar, and is located at the other end of the resort.....and coffee is not available all the time.

I have been to 2 other resorts, and was not surprised by any hidden charges, but this resort saves the surprises...beware, if you want the good rum, or shooters, you will pay $5 a shot....beer in a bottle...$5....
The phone has a sticker on it that says you can call collect, and there are no service charges...untrue...buy a calling card, and go to the lobby, ask the clerk to call the international operator for you; you will pay $2 for the service, but you will also connect with someone right away, and the calling card guarantees the cost of the call....if you decide to use the phone in your room, you will be charged for each time you ATTEMPT to contact the operator! I sat for 10min after dialing the operator, got frustrated, hung up, and tried again. I was charged for both times, even though I reached no one at the operators end....
There is only one door key per room, and it runs the lights and the air conditioner. So be prepared to wake up anyone sleeping if you have to knock on the door to be let in when you are not the one with the key.
The grounds were clean, the pools always working (there were several pools), and food could be found. Because I didn't travel to the other end of the resort too often, I am unsure if the claim of pizza until 3am was actually true, but there was a grill located near the beach...
The train ran 24/7 making it easy to get to the main lobby. There were shops on the resort, and a lounge. Wifi was located only at the main lobby. There were also computers located in the sports bar, if you didn't bring your own.
I have mixed feelings about the resort...if I had been able to get room service, not pay $20 for the safe, and maybe use the phone without the surprise at the end, I may have been more enthusiastic...most of the staff were helpful and friendly, after a healthy tip....some were not so friendly...bad day???
If you have nothing to compare it to, you won't be disappointed, but I feel that the advertising for the hotel was perhaps "not exactly as pictured".

Room Tip: to party, book club--otherwise, go Elite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Kensington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This was our first trip, and like others reading reviews,we wondered what exactly were we going to get. We were pleasantly surprised.
We arrived late in the evening of March31. Our check-in was pleasant and quick. We stayed in A2 building in the Club section. Our room was clean with two double beds(we requested a king) and a balcony. Bed was comfortable and the pillows were not lumpy. We were lucky to be over looking the Club pool. The Club section is located at the back of the Grand Paradise Resort,so it is a nice walk to the main resort,or you can take the trolley.
My only complaint about the Club section is that they cater to a French Travel group known as The Lookea Club. They have their own activties directors and guides who plan activities for them and show them around. They take over the pool area,have their own Amphitheatre and then take over the outdoor bar at the Manglar lounge at night.
The staff was pleasant and very helpful. Would like to say our cleaning lady Diovanny was always smiling and would leave little extras in our room just as we left her little treats each day. The grounds keeper in our area, Benny,was shy but easy to get to know. He even asked my husband to help while he cut down coconuts,and then he opened the top of one for us so we could try the fresh coconut milk. Then there was Ana at check-in at the Club lobby. Very polite and very helpful when we needed answers to some questions. The staff at the buffet La Palma were a great bunch. They would set up tea and coffee outside so patrons could get a start to the day while waiting for the breakfast buffet to open. We would fill our coffee cups and walk to the beach for a morning stroll before breakfast. Couldn't complain about the food,as there was plenty to choose from at all sittings(wether it was breakfast ,lunch or supper). We would like to say Marino was our server most days and he looked after us well on each visit.
The A La Carte's were good. We tried 2 during our stay. Couldn't get in to the Cana Grill as it was booked every evening during our stay. So we settled for the buffets as they had a different theme each evening.
Everything was kept clean at the resort and they were busy with repairs,as we just missed Student City by a couple of days and from what we were told, the kids made a mess of things and the staff was busy putting things back in order.
The other part of the resort closer to the beach was nice and we spent some days at the pool area down there and at the beach. The beach was the best,and the water so inviting I hated getting out to spend time on a lounger. Yes,most days you had to go early to stake out a spot either at the pool or on the beach.
There was lots to do if you choose to take part. During our stay we took in the evening entertainment at the Amphitheater,attended a beach Party,watched the Beach Olympics, and took part in stretching on the beach. The staff were great at getting people involved in the activities.
All I can say is that we totally enjoyed ourselves and yes, we would go back. We met some great people on this trip. Next time we will stay in the Main or Premier area of the resort. And we plan on taking our young Adult children with us next time.
We traveled with Sunwing and the service was excellent. And the Sunwing Reps on site were the greatest help to us when setting up an excursion.
And on a last note, our check-out went smoothly and didn't take long at all. Thanks to everybody. Hope this review was helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Niagara Region, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Let me say first off.. this resort is not a 4 star hotel, like they advertise. If you get that out of your head you will love it. Don't expect cappuccino's and Morning Glory's for breakfast. Don't expect a bell boy to take care of your bags as soon as you get off the bus to your resort.

We have had these things at other resorts.. but we have payed a lot more. You get what you pay for and more at this place.. you have your choice of three Pool areas. All have their own kids pool,, Jacuzzi jet area's The pool area's all have little pool areas so you have like 3 pools at each section.

We stayed in the club section The called it premier at Grand Bavaro and it was offered by Sunquest. Our room over looked the pool ( we were in building 4) we had a patio, two double beds a desk.. a bathroom and a little walk in closet. Was it in perfect condition? No, but it was acceptable.. clean enough to live with. ( not sparkling) It just wasn't fancy.
I knew in advance not to shower around 6pm and you were fine for water pressure. If you showered at 6 well, so was every one else.. so ya you suffered. But how much time do you spend in your room anyways?

I am mentioning this because I heard allot of complaining from other guests as well as here on trip advisor about the rooms. But lets face it, expect a 3 star resort and you will not be disappointed.

We loved our trip!

Buffet food was decent, The beach snack bar was not bad.. chicken was delicious.
We ate at the Italian restaurant it was terrific.
The international restaurant.. ya not so great..

I will mention this.. the buffet restaurants have 2 seatings one at 6:30pm it ran till 7:30.

At 7:30 the shut everything down.. and you cannot get anything to eat till 8:30. This sort of sucked for us.. by the time we would get back to the room and change and get ready for dinner. it was usually 7:30 so you spent an hour killing time, then at 8:30 you wolfed down supper to have time to rush off to the kids program in the evening. Eating at 6:30 was too early for us and they would turn all the lights off in the restaurant when they wanted you to leave.

So plan ahead. We managed.

Also factor in Travel time.. the shuttle was always full.. so it took allot of time to get any where,.. really it was faster to walk.. so we did allot of walking.

Which reminds me.. Avoid the guys in the blue shirts and golf carts, at all costs. They are very nice and will drive you around any where and every where.. they will not ask for tips.. but they are the Time share guys and they are every where. They will sucker you in!
the 5 mins you save walking will cost you 3 hours in a time share presentation. The gift sucks too! I had the worst massage ever and the ladies were rude. Avoid your trip and your vacation will be that much better!

Our 5 year old daughter Loved the kids program! they would pick her up in the morning at the buffet. Take her to the club with all the other little ones, till lunch time.. drop the kids off to you at the beach, and Pick them up again from 3 till 5 pm. Then at 8 pm they had activities for the kids to do, which my daughter will remember for ever. Little fashion shows, mini disco's, Movie nights.. she was in heaven. We usually tipped the girls about $5.00 a day and they treated her like a princess.

The Beach.. well there is nothing to say but Amazing! talk about a tropical paradise.
we did not find it hard to get a chair on the beach.. the water was warm, The Sandy beach was lovely. We would tip the wait staff so had no problems getting drinks, we did not feel they were watered down at all. Loved loved loved the beach. I would go back just to hang out on that beach all day!

Service, was incredible! all the workers work so hard, and they are so happy to serve you.
The animation staff were all terrific, I just can't say enough nice things about them. The bar and restaurant staff ( with the exception of the international restaurant) all went out of their way to ensure you enjoyed every moment off your trip.

would we go back this resort.. Yep for sure! We had a terrific deal on our trip, for what we payed we got great value for our dollar. Maybe next time we could go for two weeks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
West New York, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We booked the stay two weeks early. We were told that the room were located near the beach. But when we arrived to the Place, we found out that our rooms were located on a secondary hotel located far away from the beach. After many times we tried to convince the front desk our situation, they were negligents. We even tried to talk with the manager but nothing. At the end we had no other choice but to accept the rooms The food was fine. The only complain is the hours, specially during the evening. People have to come between 6 and 7.30 otherwise they have to wait until 8.30 to enter to the buffet restaurants. The beach was good and the animation people were kind. The rooms were clean and ok. The swimming pools were great. Another thing is the small road that connect between both hotels has a bad odor. In summary, the hotel was fine but the reception at the front desk was terrible.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
OTTAWA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Every bad comment was exagerated by 100% by people that do not know how to enjoy themselves,or they look for the smalest thing to go wrong and make a big deal out of it. The hotel was full to capacity so i figure 1005 rooms and 2.5 people per room you are looking at 3000 people on this resort and during a 1 week span I listened to maybe 6 people complain about small things. I have been travelling the south for 20 years and have seen alot of hotesl. This hotels have been giving a bad name for nothing.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We have travelled a lot to many all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Cuba and this was one of our worst experiences. We paid $1100 each for what was advertised as a 4* resort so we thought we were getting a great deal. This should only be rated a 3* resort. When we arrived after midnight our first impressions were founded. The reception area is very uninviting and the reception staff very unwelcoming. There was no one around to direct us to our room and once we got to our room we thought for sure there was a mistake. We were put in building 2 room 377. A room farthest from the beach (15 minute walk) The room was very sparce, the furniture banged up, the shower head was broken and the bed covers looked like they had been around for 20 years. The TV was a 24 inch with no converter and the fridge was not plugged in so it smelled really bad. We attempted several times to change our room and we told there were no rooms because they were full. Many people paid extra to be relocated. We tried all week to get new towels put in our room without success. When the sheets on my bed were changed they only covered 2/3 of the mattress. There was no hospitality sweat made available to guest who were leaving on late flights. We eventually negotiated with the concierge to keep our room for free until 4:00pm. They wanted to charge us $10 per hour extra for every hour we stayed past check out. In addtion to this, both my husband and developed stomach isssues while we were at the resort (Many other people did also). The beach is beautiful and the food was reasonable but we will not reurn to this resort or recommend it. I do not want to fight for everything when I am on vacation!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Club at Grand Paradise Bavaro? Share your experiences!