“Barcelo, my God, NEVER again!! STAY AWAY!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Punta Cana

You added Barcelo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Barcelo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 20% discount
Ranked #62 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Calgary, AB
“Barcelo, my God, NEVER again!! STAY AWAY!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Thank goodness we have been to the DR before because if this was our first time we would never, ever return. This is the first vacation I have been on where we (a group of 4 couples including my husband and myself) were counting down the days until we got to come home.

We have been on over 30 all-inclusive style vacations all over the Caribbean, between the 8 of us, so we have an idea of what to expect when it comes to service, resort facilities, etc. and are all very easygoing. I don't even know where to begin with how utterly terrible this resort was. I was the unlucky one out of the group that got food poisoning the first night we were there. We narrowed it down to the squid as no one else ate it besides me - smart. I can't wait for the resort to respond to this and say that it they take extreme care re: food prep and blah blah blah, so it wasn't them. The lot of us lived off bread & butter, fruit, and burgers & fries for the remainder of the week as no one wanted to risk what I got. It was awful. Two others in our group got mild stomach/bum issues as well but nowhere as bad as me the first night thank goodness.

Check-in when we first arrived was a nightmare off the bat. The 8 of us plus a few other couples and families to check in and only 2 people at the front desk. We had the "pleasure" of dealing with Waddy. Man does he hate his job. And people. It was almost and hour long process to check the 4 of us couples in. No special requests, other than if possible rooms close together, which was a no. A word we'd hear a lot of for the next week.

Rooms are hit or miss, some are fine, others horrid. We got a horrid one of course but the other couples we were with, theirs were ok. We are really not too picky so didn't care to go back the next day, pack up all our stuff and move so we just dealt with it. I'd say about 90% of the elevators we walked by were out of service and 100% of the ice machines.

The liquor that they serve is so god-awful that we had to buy our own booze just to enjoy a drink! Never have had that happen on an all-inclusive before! At least keep us drunk on your crappy resort!!

Staff are also one extreme to another. They are either really friendly or they hate you, no in between. One, yes ONE, person walks around the pool to take drink orders so have fun waiting. We are big tippers too and that never helped. The only ones that seemed to appreciate tips were the housekeeping ladies.

Tried to get a late check out the day we were leaving as our flight was in the evening. Were told that we had to come down - a call would not be sufficient - to the front desk at 8am the day we were to check out and they'd let us know if it were possible. Basically defeating the whole purpose of that request.

Anyone that gives this place a positive review either has not travelled very much, if at all, has some sort of affiliation with this resort, or is 18-21 with not a care in the world but get blackout drunk and get wheelchaired away from the pool (this happened 3 times that we saw). There is so much more I could comment on but it's basically all been mentioned in other reviews.

My advice to you, spend the extra couple or few hundred to stay at a five-star resort like we all wish we did. We've stayed less than five-star before (in Mexico) and figured we'd be fine here. It seems the DR is not the place to do that. The last time my husband and I were in the DR we stayed five-star and it was such a different experience so I would definitely suggest you do the same, or suffer the same crappy (literally, at points) vacation as we did.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Polish first
Ponce, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My friends and i stayed for a quick weekend getaway. We got a good deal with Turismo Tony Perez in PR with airfare included. Hotel facilities are great for families as well. Very clean grounds and great service. Restaurant buffets are great and with a lot of options. Night activities also great and a must to see and enjoy. Beach is clean, sunny and clear waters.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let me start with the good! Entertainment staff was awesome MINIME was amazing and always energetic! Kids had a blast with him. The beach was great and the weather even better. As for the hotel it was horrible rooms were very small for a family of 4 and for our 7 day stay there was never HOT water to shower with. The staff at the bars were not very welcoming never a smile to be seen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor hopefully there will be hot water
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

This was my first time in DR, I had a lot of fun, the food in el Alcazar was okay it could definitely be better and have more authentic Dominican food, the choice of liquor could be better as well. However the entertainment was excellent the shows at night were the highlight of the trip and the entertainment staff are extremely friendly and made an effort to make the guests happy. Chocolate was extremely friendly and professional very funny and always kept a conversation with the guests.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Juan Fortuna is the best employee at Barcelo! He is super helpful and entertaining! He made our stay great! The food is great, the resort is great, definitely a great place to stay! I recommend Barcelo to everyone!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Marcos C, Director General at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your comment with the TripAdvisor community .
It is gratifying that has had a good experience at our hotel, and above who have enjoyed our facilities , our dining experience and service offered by Juan Fortuna.
On behalf of our entire staff , especially Juan Fortuna , thanks again for being with us .

General manager Barceló Punta cana.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

There is a crime being perpetrated at this hotel which is theft of vacations!!! I thought my visit last year to the Catalonia hotel was the worst( see my post) . Well I was wrong. This hotel is by far the worst place I have ever experienced. There is not enough space to detail everything wrong but in summary the food is terrible, the service even worse. The hotel itself is literally falling apart around you. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!! It is maybe a 2 star and that's being generous

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest :

We appreciate the time dedicated to express your comments about your stay at Barceló Punta Cana.
We apologize for incidents during their stay, which will follow up , in order to prevent recurrence in a future occasion.
We hope you give us the honor to have you here again in our facilities and appreciate you our improvements .

General Manager Barceló Punta Cana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Chocolate was my favorite performer! Great shows, great food, great beaches. Friendly bartenders and performers! Overall wonderful experience! Will be coming back for sure!

Rooms and beds were cleAn! Japanese restraunt was very good. Pools are very clean and fun.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
My dear guest ,

Thanks for choosing us, we are very happy to read your comments and know you enjoyed your stay .
On behalf of the entire team , especially Chocolate THANKS !!! .
We look forward to welcoming you on a next time !

Sincerely .
Director Barceló Punta Can

Been to Barcelo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!