“Lots of pluses, some minuses. Opinion of experienced traveler...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Barcelo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #67 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Niwot, Colorado
“Lots of pluses, some minuses. Opinion of experienced traveler...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I just returned from a week at Barceló Punta Cana. I can absolutely tell you that prior reviews speaking of some need for updating are true, but can also say it is a quality resort that served my family very well. Every single staff member we interacted with was pleasant and helpful. From the front desk to the housekeeper to the bar tenders to the... all were helpful, welcoming, and seemed genuine.

Rooms: Was our room perfect? No. Many details that could and should be dealt with by management. Our clock didn't work, it was promptly replaced. Shower set-up is very odd and definitely leaks. Didn't ruin our trip in any way. Housekeeping kept the room sparkling and well-stocked every single day. Every drawer on our dresser was broken, but I never bothered to report it. Deadbolt on door was broken, which I did report, but it was never fixed. I know they worked on it, but they never fully repaired it. Did I care? No. My family spends VERY little time in our room, and when I was in the room, I was mesmerized by the fantastic view. We had an ocean front room, as requested, and the view was amazing!! We were in room 3324. The price we paid for the ocean front room was that we were directly above the main buffet and could hear the sound of dishes and silverware at virtually all hours of the day and into the evening. Not a big deal to me, as at least it wasn't thumping music or screaming from the pool. The issues in the room could and should be addressed by a thorough walk-through by management. If not, at least the housekeepers should inform maintenance of what they find wrong. Shouldn't be left for the guests to report. That is just an opinion from someone who spent 15 years working in apartment management, is currently a Realtor, and also owns several vacation rentals. Details make or break it for some, and the details could be improved on. For us, minor in the scheme of things. The rest of the resort far made up for the rooms.

Beach/pool: The beach is simply amazing!! The softest sand you have ever felt splashed by gorgeous blue Caribbean water. Tons of shade from palm trees, which can be a real commodity at other resorts. Not here, as they were readily available. The pool was typically un-crowded and we felt just as comfortable in the activity pool as the quiet pool. Both were clean with lots of chairs. Not as easy to get shade, but still great pools. One pool had a swim up bar which seemed to be consistently packed with people. The only improvement I could mention to the pool/beach area would be to have a staff member walking around for drink service. This is a norm at most resorts, and didn't exist here. Still, strolling over to the bar for drinks is no true hardship, and allowed me to enjoy the resort.

Resort: My over-all favorite thing about this resort was it's size. Not too big, not too small. Big enough that there were many restaurants and lots of activities. Small enough that you don't need a shuttle or good walking shoes to get you from place to place. You could walk anywhere on the resort in mere minutes, and I loved that. It was so easy to find your way around that we had it down by the end of the first day. I even let my 11 year old walk by himself from the pool to the room when he needed to, since it was nearly impossible to get lost. Every person working at this resort was there to make your trip better (okay, maybe not the girl at the towel counter, but I only saw her once a day and didn't really care that she wasn't even slightly helpful) I saw her ignore a kid with a question completely one day, and answered him myself. Anyway, the rest of the staff was amazing and I loved the general resort.

Food: I have been to many, many all-inclusive resorts and their buffets. The buffets are generally disappointing. This one was great! Not only was there an ample supply of choices, the food actually tasted good! I can't understand the complaints I have read on this area. Many other complaints make sense to me, but not this one. Food was excellent start to finish. One of the servers in the main buffet hugged us every day when he saw us, and took the time to chat every day and make sure we were happy. Others knew my nieces names by the end of the first day and greeted them warmly each time they saw them. Service and food are simply NOT some of the issues here.

I can't speak to most of the reservation restaurants, as we only ate at two. Just didn't care to bother with a designated eating time, for the most part. We tried the Mexican restaurant which was fine. Nothing great, nothing bad. The Tokyo restaurant was worth standing in line for the reservation. Service was prompt, food was excellent.

All in all, I would go back to this resort. Do I wish they would address some of the run-down aspects of their rooms? Yes, I really do. Did it affect our over-all enjoyment of the resort? No. We enjoyed ourselves very much and I fully intend to return. One definite thing I would change would be the access to wifi, free and in the rooms. I don't want to go to an internet café, and I don't want to pay by the minute. I want to access my emails and the internet when I want to. I had to work some while we were there, and made arrangements for wifi separately, as I knew the resort wasn't providing it. (I will post a different review on Gobecon, which served my wifi needs perfectly) Wifi should be included, though. Most resorts offer it, Barceló should too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Marie,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us and which comments and suggestions will be taken into the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Best regards,

3,626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Overall we had a great vacation, checkin was smooth however, we did upgrade to club premiere and the staff there was great especially Rosa. I do agree that the front desk is a bit unorganized but with proper training they will be great. The staff was friendly and helpful. We did not have suite but we had an ocean view room which was absolutely beautiful. Food was good with a nice variety. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Kira & Manny,
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a nice time with us, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you again!
Regards from Punta Cana!
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Really bad hotel. Old rooms. Bathroom is a mess with leaks. Food is average, and im being generous. Service is slow, but friendly. Only good points: Pool and Beach. To eat, sometimes you need to get in a line (really), i've never seen this in any hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joan,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana at Tripadvisor.
We are very so sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectations regarding our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.
We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.
Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our hotel. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize.
Kind regards
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Barceló Punta Cana for 9 days for our honeymoon in June. We had read mixed reviews on the internet but wanted to give it a try because the pictures of the resort were so beautiful and the price was right up our alley. We were incredibly disappointed in so many aspects of the trip.

Food - this was THE most disappointing part of our stay at the resort. While the resort offers a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the food is mediocre at best and birds fly into the dining area and land on the food. The pizzeria is only open two days a week for lunch and we could never get a definite date/time of when it would be open (in some cases being told three different times in one day). For dinner we ate at the Italian, Dominican Republic, Japanese, and Surf and Turf style restaurants and the food was very good and had a big selection of items to choose from. The Japanese restaurant is tepinyaki so if you’ve never had it before, it’s a fun experience. While the restaurants were good you can only make a reservation at 9am that same morning. My husband waited in line at Guest Services every single morning for over 20 minutes just to make us a reservation. They resort has 8 restaurants but they are not all open every night. There is a mini market at the resort but unless you want to pay $6.00 for a bag of chips I wouldn't suggest going there for food. There were no snacks available to eat during the day even with the all inclusive package. There is a burger/hot dog grill open daily for lunch but after three days of eating a burger for lunch you start to get sick of it.

Room - our room was the deluxe ocean view and thankfully, it did have an actual view of the ocean. The shower is half open with a glass enclosure and our water pressure was terrible. On more than one occasion while in the shower, the water pressure completely shut off. Our room had a constant presence of small little bugs everywhere. Our mini fridge was dirty and our curtains did not close all the way. The television had a few channels in English which was nice but there weren't any numbers on the remote so you had to use the up/down arrows to get through all the channels. Our room was located next to the main pool so it did get loud at times as the staff does events and games in the main pool area (playing loud music etc). If you want a quiet room we suggest you ask to be by the kiddies’ pool. The walls are awfully thin in the rooms and we were woken up most nights because we could hear the people in the rooms next door.

Beach/Pool - the beaches were nice with picturesque water and there were always plenty of lounge chairs. There is a towel station where they give you two towels a day and on our third day there, we were given attitude by the towel lady who said we needed a card in order to check out towels. By then we had already been there three days and this was the first time we had heard about any such card. It seemed like there was not a lot of consistency between the staff and the rules that they followed. The pools were nice and big and offered a swim up bar which was nice.

Aside from all that, we didn't get an overly friendly vibe from most of the staff. The language barrier was very difficult for us. On our last day there, I went to use the ATM at the resort (the only one on site) and right when the money was about to spit out, the worker who was cleaning it hit some button and the machine turned off. He took off and my husband and I were told by the manager there was not much she could do to get our money back. We were leaving for our flight in a couple hours and by the time the bank sent someone over to fix the machine, we were long gone.

We didn't have a terrible vacation by any means, but we wish we would have known about these issues before we booked at the Barceló Punta Cana as it would have made an impact on our decision to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
Concerning your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been shared with the Executive Chef of our Resort for their analysis.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.
Kind regards,
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just returned from a week at Barcelo Punta Cana and now understand all these seemingly contrary high and low reviews. So much depends on when you go and where your room is located. We arrived late- midnight- so no long wait for check in. Weekends have a special for locals who know the routines, so it was packed: no reservations left at the restaurants, no shade at the pool, super noisy all night. But Monday morning, absolutely empty and tourists only. Our room in main building with awesome view of ocean, but extremely loud all day and night as it was directly over the main cafeteria. Very dated, small, shower leaked everywhere, and air conditioner set to "arctic". Restaurants were great, even the buffet: the kids loved being able to get food and drinks at all times and places. Towel policy is bizarre at best (one a day at a beach resort??) We might consider the larger Barcelo Plaza Deluxe next time- that one is enormous, with a conference center, horseback riding, and dolphin island on the premises.

Room Tip: Main building has best views, but ultra noisy! This is not the place for a quiet getaway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Gomez Family,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly. In regards to the towel policy, we wish to inform that this is part of our environmental and Green Globe policy, as we wish to contribute this way (less washing and use of chemicals).
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Room was not what I expected, too smal bedroom and poor decoration,
No hot water, very old TV with no cable, poor ilumination and the shower push botton did not worked,

In the other hand, excellent food and personnel service, beautiful and confortable pool areas, night show was very good and the disco was ok.

Play ground for children is excelent, bars are ok.

Would i go back? yes, specially if taking my kids with me, after all, bedroom is just for sleeping after all :)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main building area, those are closer to the restaurants pools and bars. Nice v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Clara,
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the comments that you have highlighted and we are will work on those accordingly.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
None
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you are going to want to relax and fell comfprtable on your honeymoon, as all newly weds should want, I do not reccommend this place. Your honeymoon is one vacation you can't redo and ours was ruined by picking this hotel. It is loud with music (rap) pumping all over. The hotel allows vendors to swarm their pool area and lobby to sell you goods. This is uncomfortable since the vendors are extremely pushy and you have to be 'rude' by saying no repeatdly just to get to the elevator to get up to your room. I wish we would have believed some of the other reviews on here and picked somewhere else! Spend a little more to truly get the service you deserve somewhere else. We were counting the hours to get back on the plane.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you to take your time to write and share your review in Tripadvisor. Checking your words we can appreciate you didn’t have a pleasant stay in Barcelo Punta Cana and we couldn’t fill your expectation about our property. We try to keep our quality service to give you our best and we take all guest feedback very seriously. We would like to give you an honest apology for any discomfort you may have experienced. Our main goal is the quality service and this is also a good value of our skills. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion.
Cordially
Sandy Pfeil

Been to Barcelo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!