“Amazing vacation - well worth the money spent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Barcelo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #66 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Brampton, Canada
“Amazing vacation - well worth the money spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I visited this hotel last year in April and it was an absolute delight! The trip representative Diane was awesome and gave us a lot of great tips to enjoy our stay (stay away from tap water, ice cubes only from the bar etc etc) - teh staff is extremely courteous and helpful - i need some over-the-counter pills and they had the pharmacy deliver teh meds at no extra charge! Mini-bar in room always fully stocked, bars of soap/toiletries restocked every day. The food was good, there was always a variety of local and international cuisine and teh wait staff was exceptional - super cheerful and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to visit soon :)

I went for the Swimming with Sharks/StingRays excursion - ask for Elvis - he is wonderful with kids and HOT to boot ;)

Room Tip: I heard some people complain about the airconditioning in some rooms, make sure yours works - i had...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Karrie,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.
We feel glad to read that you have left the hotel feeling totally invigorated. Thank you for highlighting our strengths. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We all hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards

3,573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Polish first
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 days. We purchased the Club Premium upgrade and I'm so happy we did. So here it goes....

Check in - We arrived at the hotel around 4pm on Friday. Although we had a special check in line, it still took us 20-25 minutes before we actually talked to someone. There was only one person checking in Club Premium and one person checking in everyone else. No worries, they had our package together which included our room, restaurants already pre-arranged, Wi-Fi setup, etc.

Room - We had a king suite facing the gardens. The room was huge. However, after a few minutes in the room we noticed the bed was missing a leg, the remote wasn't working, and at some point during our stay we saw ant's in the room. Again, no worries, every time we called someone came to fix the problem within minutes of our call. The room should be perfect for the next people that stay there...LOL! We also asked for extra towels one day, extra pillows the next day, beach towels another day, and someone always came up right away. Please note, this hotel is older so don't expect it to look like a brand new hotel.

Food - The hotel has lots of food options available. If you’re Club Premium you can go to the lounge for breakfast or you can go to the buffet. The buffet has lots of options such as omelets, bacon, sausage, fruit, pastries, etc. There were times we had to wait to get coffee, but there are a ton of people in there that the staff has to service, so I was patient. For lunch, you have the buffet in the hotel, burgers by the pool, Marlin buffet by the pool, pizza overlooking the beach upstairs from Marlin at the pizzeria, and a sandwich eatery near the adult pool overlooking the beach as well. For dinner, we ate a different restaurant every night. My favorites were Paris, Tokyo, and Rome in that order. I also enjoyed Marlin.

Entertainment - There is plenty to do at the hotel, you have several pools, the Beach which is the best and where we spent most of our time. We visited the sports bar, the club (nice, but backed with teenagers from Peru on their senior trip), the casino, and the theatre with nightly shows. There was an on all white party of the beach with a DJ...that was fun.

Beach - one word "AWESOME"! We absolutely loved the beach. The powdery white sand and the blue water were perfect. There are several activities on the beach that you can do such as beach volleyball, parasailing, kayaking, etc.

Club Premium lounge - if you drink premium liquor you have to do club premium lounge. Our stay would have been disappointing if all we had to drink was the non-premium alcohol served at every bar with the exception of club premium lounge. We visited the lounge three to four times a day to get our drinks and then walked around. Special thanks to the ladies in Club Premium who made our stay great. Milque, Jessica, and Angela....Thank you ladies!

Overall, the hotel has a lot to offer (food options, entertainment, great beach), but it is definitely understaffed. The staff there works very hard; we saw staff working two to three areas in the hotel during the day. One girl worked the pool area during the day (noon-5pm) and at night in the theatre (9 pm-midnight). Several of the reviews I read said the hotel service was bad and the staff was not helpful. That was not our experience. The staff was very helpful and really nice. This was a good choice and we will return.

Room Tip: Purchase Club Premium, you get the best liqour and a different restaurant everynight!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, like Milque, Jessica, and Angela.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,
Southington, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We purchased the Premium Club Suite and not sure you get more for your $$.. We had a nice sized room; LR and seperate BR and 2 balconys which was nice. Bathrooms were good size as well and water pressure was great. We also got beach towels in our room every night for the next day (convientent with a 4 year old). I was not happy upon checking in to the hotel where they have a seperate check in for Premium Club members. we waited longer than others just doing a normal check in. The club member room for members only was nice. We ate breakfast there instead of the large buffet and it was very nice. Quiet start to our day and we get waited on :) food was also better in this area. The girls who manage this Club Premium members in this room are wonderful and took good care of us.

We did have some issues with noise throughout the week from our room. We were overlooking the pool. There was a wedding reception one night and it was extrememly loud and went on into the wee hours of the morninig. Another night, workers of the hote decided to replace tile in the middle of the night? woke us up and my BF had to go downstairs and talk to the Manager. Why would they be working on this during the middle of the night?? odd..

Beach was beautiful.. water was a little rough compared to last year. (we stayed at Melia Caribe last year). The resort is a good size compared to the Melia. The Melia was too large for me personally. Pools were great and the kids pool was wonderful! That was one of the attractions for me this year since I was brining my daughter.

Regarding food.. I thought the buffet was not good.. I felt the speciality restaraunts were great. So stick with those versus the buffet!

Overall, not bad but if we go back to the DR, we will probably try something different.

Room Tip: Our room was located near the pool.. pros and cons.. could get loud at times but great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
barcelopc, Manager at Barcelo Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Jodie,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel service is the worst I've ever had. They are so in helpful. I have bed bug bites all over my body and I didn't drink any of the water and have been having stomach issues for days. They won't give you any extra bottled water either and the nurse won't even say hello to you without paying 120 dollars. They also forgot to book my shuttle and I almost missed my flight and no one would help me except some people from another hotel who saw me freaking out. The food is disgusting. It's just all horrible. Don't go. Spend the extra little bit and go elsewhere. They also over charged me 100 dollars on my credit card and wouldn't change it. I'm horrified. I have bloody scars left all over my legs from that hotel. The excursions suck too.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for having chosen Barcelo Punta Cana as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality. We sincerely apologies for any discomfort that you may have encountered.
We wish to remark that as the hotel we do not book transportation; this is usually done by the guests themselves or through any company that the trip is booked with.
Please also consider that in tropical destinations, and especially at the Beach areas, a bug called sand flies is present and causes bites. We wish to stress that we do not have any presence of bed bugs.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.
Sincerely
Prince Albert, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We traveled in feb 2013. 2 adults 2 teen girls and a 6 year old boy, 2 rooms booked. we got there late at night and woke up 3 different people because they gave us the wrong room numbers and the wrong keys. so not a good start, then the girls had a room at the opposite end of the resort from us, even though I had booked the rooms at the same time with a request put in at that time and again several weeks before travel to try and have them even within a few door from us.
Food was ok, if you try to eat or drink anything in your rooms, as soon as you set it down (even for 5 minutes) it is covered in little ants. they are everywhere, except the bed, thank god. but on your toothbrush and just all over. when you shower, no mater how careful, it floods the bathroom floor. It took 2 days and the help of our ailine rep to get the girls a room one floor down from us so that we could at least take the same set of stairs to meet up. its a very large hotel and the hall numbers and room numbers just dont match up so very hard to find your rooms, until youve been there a few days.Best place to eat was the pizza place by the outside restaursant(dont remember the name).
DO NOT pay extra for club premium that the airline offers as it is not the hotels club premium. they have a special check in line etc when you get there so you think you have it, but later when you try and access the extra stuff they correct you and you realize youve paid extra but have no idea why. The desk staff have no idea what they are doing, the ones who want to help you, have no pull to do so, and the manager who should want to help would do nothing until our airline rep spoke with her. At which point she tried to blame us and say she tried to help but we wouldnt let her. we are not complainers, pretty patient usually etc. but by the 4 th day of our "holiday" we all just wanted to go home, evne the 6 year old. Unless you get up at 5 and resever chairs at all the pools you wont get one with a umbrella. yet while your sitting on the cement or walkway, there are empty chairs with no people, until you move the towel, then they show up and want it back. The hotel should do more to monitor this. We tipped, alot, and never had a drink served and never met a server who was friendly, not rude, just no desire to speak with the tourist. we tipped anyway, but never felt good about it.by then pool you have to leave your chair and go back into the hotel or restaurant to get your own drinks. This was our first trip to the DR, but we wont return. we paid top price to travel here(1800cdn per person, slightly less for the child). so we will spend less to return to places in Mexico where we have been and were served well, happily and by about the 2-3 day there usually by name as well.
The a la carts were nice, the beach was truly amazing and the nicest sand I have seen. that is what saved the trip for us. The day trips I will comment on seperatly, we did 2 only.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
Please note that ofter there is a confusion between the Premium Club that offers the hotel for all our guests that have booked a Suite and the Prestige Class that is offered in Canada. These are two different services. We appologize if that has not been explained to you correctly.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
Warm regards,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a great trip !! We are going back for sure. The hotel is big, so you'll need that map for the first day. We stayed in building 7 on the 4th floor, with oceanview, but we had a view of the pool as well, it was perfect. Except for 20 minutes of rain the first day, we had a beautiful sun filled trip for the next ten days (April 17-27, 2013). The food was great, shrimp, lobster & fish, all melt-in-your-mouth, the fruit was so delicious, the desserts fantastic. Lots of variety. Hats off to the chefs/cooks in there, they are the hardest workers there, preparing 3 services/day for 1500 or so ppl can't be easy. But they still find the time to design the incredible fruit sculptures. Nice :)
The staff works hard, memorable bartenders are Angelo, Arnaldo, Ceferino, Doroteo, and a few more whose names escape me. The beach was probably one of the nicest I've been to (Note to self, bring a boogie board next time). We walked left to the Hard Rock, nice big beach area, but a lot of debris, there were many glasses in the sand so watch out. To the right for a 45 min walk we checked out the Majestic, the Gran Bahia Principe, the Iberostar, the Riu (HUGE!!), and a few more, we agreed we had the nicest stretch of beach. Just beware of the time share type recruiters on the beach, they get you at the start of your trip, pre-tan lol They know you're a newbie & haven't yet been warned lol
All in all, it was a great escape, a relaxing paradise ... & happened to get engaged there as well !! We will absolutely go back, maybe as soon as November :o)
P.S Not one bug bite. They usually love me - Nada !!

Room Tip: Although I heard buildings 1,2,3 are updated, we were in 7 & thought it was a perfect location...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, like Angelo, Arnaldo, Ceferino and Doroteo.
We certainly hope to see you in November, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the time we arrived, until we left ... I do not have anything negative to say. I believe the gent that was working the desk was Louis. Right away he put a smile on my face. "If your room is not the best, you come back and see me." Room 2207 -- I didn't go back, because the room was fantastic. King bed, glass shower, oceanfront, with rum, slippers, bathrobe, towels all waiting for us. The mini bar was stocked everyday, the maids cleaned our rooms everyday. The restaurants were delightful, the pizza was wonderful ... the buffet was always fresh, hot and lots to pick from. Drinks were tasty, and the bartenders were really nice. The grounds were well looked after, and the entertainment staff did a wonderful job at the pool and the night time shows. The beach is the best ... you can walk for miles, and we did. The beach in front of the Barcelo is lovely.

There was an in room safe, and sheets that you fill out when you leave gifts. What a great idea. I would have no issue leaving things laying around the room with everything management has in place to make you feel at home. When we were on our way to the airport a girl realized she forgot her purse. We turned around and went back. When they went to get it, a staff member and a security guard had it and walked it to the bus and made sure everything was in it. I read negative reviews on this place and I really can't believe it. I went to this resort twice before 10 years ago when it was Breezes ... it was by far better this third visit. We are already planning our trip back with a big group next year.

Thanks to the staff for all your hard work. I have one question for you. I love to leave tips and gifts for staff. What are some things that are hard to get, or that the staff would love to receive??

Thanks
Anthony
Nova Scotia, Canada

Room Tip: Building 2 was wonderful !!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anthony,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience. In regards to you question about thegifts; in general you can get everything in the DR, certainly it is a cuestion of the financial situation of each of the individual to be able to get it or not. Most of the products are imported and therefore higher priced.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Best regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Been to Barcelo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!