“Great Group Trip!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Punta Cana

You added Barcelo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Barcelo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #65 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Rochester, New York
“Great Group Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

A group of 12 of us took a trip to Punta Cana last November. We weren't sure what to expect but after some research and reading reviews we gave it a shot. This resort exceeded our expectations for the price!! Here is a breakdown of our stay:

Check-in: This was very smooth. 6 of the 12 of us had checked in 1 day prior, our rooms were all over the resort, but after speaking with the front desk they had all 7 of our rooms in the same building and just doors away from each other, and in doing this we all ended up getting an ocean view room. We arrived at about 3pm and really didn't have to wait in a long line.

Rooms: The rooms were great. Very clean with everything working. Great view of ocean & pools, nice little balcony. This truly was "all-inclusive". They were sure to keep our in-room fridge fully stocked with El Presidente (their house beer), sodas and bottled water.

Food: This was the only part lacking on this trip. BUT, like I said for the price and for all-inclusive, the food was average. I have done other all-inclusives to know that food isn't always the greatest. Since we were there with a large group (our group ranged in age from 26-40 years old with some couples and some singles) we didn't expect to go to sit-down dinners every night. When we did we broke into smaller groups and you had to make your reservation for that evening fairly early in the morning. They did guarantee us 2 dinner reservations, however all of ours were different since we didn't book as a group. But, the daily buffets were edible..not great, but really not horrible and no one got sick on the trip. The lunches at the pool were probably our best meals of the day.

Drinks/Entertainment: I have to say, if you are looking for fun, this is the place to stay. As noted before, they do not skimp on the drinks. The would keep them coming and every bar/pool bar was so accomodating and made some stiff drinks. We brought our own 22 oz plastic cups and beer pitchers and they filled everything up for us with no problems, no questions asked. The Dominican Vodka had a bit of a funny taste, but when asked, they served ABSOLUT with no extra charge. The beer was probably equivilent to like a Bud or Coors Light. The entertainment staff was great-they allowed us to use our blow up beer pong raft in the pool and played a lot of fun pool side games. Now, I will say that we were a rowdy group and enjoyed this aspect, this was all done at the pool with the swim up bar. They did have a completely separate pool area for families and children. So if this sounds too wild, there were certainly more calm areas for those not wanting the day-time drinking/pool fun. We were there reliving Spring Break days so we were a bit on the not-so-quiet side.
The night life was decent, one club and lots of bars. We didn't spend too much time in the Casino, it was small.

It was a great trip, and we would revisit this resort.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Polish first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great water park but my kids kept scratching their knees with the rugged floor. Barcelo Hotels should remember they are in the Caribbean it's ridiculous to seen the concierge at the check out/inn desk without A/C or a fan in a long sleeve polyester jacket sweating profusely because it is a requirement. The food was awful and the service was like the employees didn't care. I wouldn't go back I prefer Paradisus Palma Real for about the same price you get excellent service and food.

Room Tip: Rooms near the kids water park are noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were a party of 6, 3 adults and 3 children ages 12-10-6. We specifically asked for rooms next to each other or joining. Upon registering our rooms were in different sections. The hotel (which was at appx 50% capacity) had a difficulty changing our rooms so that we could be close to one another. Once the boys were in bed and the lights were out (in the room) we (the adults) went to the balcony. The outdoor lights did not work, hence we could not read, write, or do crosswords in the dark. We asked in the a.m. that they look into having lights outside. The management assured us that it would be repaired for that evening. The lights were never repaired. I asked that they change us room to where the lights did work. I was too "So sorry for the inconvenience" but they could not relocated. We spent 4 nights in total darkness. Finally my son-in-law spoke to Management AGAIN and we were relocated to another section of the hotel. In our new rooms, the refridgerator did not work, the toliet did not flush, the hair blower did not work, but we had lights outside.....
The food was unappealing. There were birds flying all over the dining room. If you left your plate to go and get a drink it was guaranteed that a bird was eating in your plate. We had to fight with the bees to get to the food. All the food was covered with bees and bird poop.
The ice machine did not work, the bank machine had no money in it.
The beach has no umbrellas or huts for shade.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. NOT IN A MILLIONS YEARS.

Room Tip: The only tip I can give is DON'T stay there
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been travelling to many different countries for many years ,but coming to dominica republic is an exception, i love everything about the country and the people.the land scape is very beautiful , the people are very very friendly and courtious at the resort i met some of the most warm, loving ,genorous ,kind and friendly staff .my first contact was bell boy ARIEL,he provide me with excellent service then i went to the bar and met arnaldo he make the best drink then lady at the internet cafe joanna castillo was very helpful in serving me also kenya overall everyone derserve a taste of my review but these people selected in the above sentence in the best i will alway remember my stay here and i will return soon.

Room Tip: 3 nd 4 floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm a 26 year old canadian who has traveled a lot (over 10 tropical/Caribbean spots and to over 8 states). Im not picky but I will gross out over the same things as an average person will. (hair in the drain, poorly kept grounds, Gray food etc..) I'm not old were I expect high class and catering or even silence. My husband (of 7 years) and i bought this hotel on HOTWIRE. when we arrived the hotel layout was hard to figure out (but don't worry it gets understandable after the first day) so after day 1 my husband was in love. (it took me a few day longer) I thought the reason he was all "awww & oohh" about it was because it was half price from Jamaica. but I must say the food was really good, the grounds were always getting cleaned, the servers were nice (you tip the servers/barkeeps a dollar and they will remember you the whole trip) the nightly entertainment was awesome good. the beach was beautiful. (donot be afraid to walk from 1 end of the beach to the other) 1 thing i have too say is: there was construction happening on the way to the hotel so it scared us into thinking that our hotel was going to be ugly but this is not the case. you may think that the flee markets are someplace hidden in the middle of the town but really they are like a ten minute bus ride. what I'm trying to say, is we felt super safe and when we left D.R we felt like there was so much more to do and see. Anyway we are making our second trip back to the same hotel with our 5 & 3 year old may 2013. This has to say a lot, being that we never went back to any of our other destinations. My husband loved it and most of all I loved it. And we are trusting it so much that we are taking our 2 most prized possessions with us.Happy traveling.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

That resort is from far the best one we've visited over the last couple of years. The numerous on-site activities were cool and appreciated. The pools and public areas were clean and we could feel the efforts the staff was putting in place in order to keep the whole property at its best. The food was good, the room, spacious and nicely renovated. The beach was simply the best we've ever seen at a resort. All in all, a great trip in a great hotel and we'll consider going back, for sure!

Room Tip: Building 3, ocean side!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just got back from Barcelo Prem. What a wonderful place! It was our honeymoon. As soon as we got in we noticed our AC was not working and the Toilet handle was broken. We talked to Alexander the manager and he was so helpful and nice that he upgraded our room to the Suite and included champagne, flowers in our room, fresh fruit and Wi-Fi the entire time we were there. This was above and beyond anything we would ever expect!!! This is an example of how you are treated at this wonderful place. Alexander made sure the rest of our honeymoon was going wonderful and explained that he and his crew would never want you to experience a bad time here. We will defiantly be back next year. I would recommend this resort over the Hard Rock hands down.

Room Tip: Location of the Hotel is right on the water so any room will work.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!