“AVERAGE RESORT!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Punta Cana

You added Barcelo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Barcelo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #62 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Mississauga, Ontario
“AVERAGE RESORT!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Just came back from a 7 day trip, this being the second time to Punta Cana, this was the worst resort i have stayed at and i have been to mexico twice n punta cana , this resort was rated more like a 3-3.5 star, VERY slow service not enough staff on hand, the rooms were just ok.

We arrived around 11am and couldnt get our room till around 3pm, they sucked as we were limited to what we could do and waiting around to get settled in our rooms. Wifi access is available for a fee $12 a day or $49 for a week, but $27 for 3 days is the best option, cause if you dont use it that much, it can last upto 6 days i was told, i got 4 days out of mine before we left.

The weather would rain on and off, we had 2 really GREAT days with no rain at all and no clouds, other days were overcast.

We stayed in Building 3 Rm 3446, prestige class, its better to pay extra for this, so you can stay in the newly renovated areas, plus you get 4 guaranteed la carte rest. you would just have to change the times, as we given late dinner times at 8:30pm, with 2 kids no way!!

BAD news first!! service very slow, shows were not that good, casino - never went at all, not enough staff on hand and the resort itself is slowly falling apart, they are trying to fix things, but its hard with alot of people on the resort, food was good, nothing crazy with a few different choices every night, I have been to better places with much more choices of food in the buffet. There is ONLY one buffet to feed a lot of people, so lots of line ups at certain times for lunch, dinner n breakfast, but you do have 6 la carte rest. to pick from, hard to make a reservation with so many people trying to get an earlier dinner as well.

The pool beside the swim up bar was in some bad shape and didn't even swim in that pool at all, my two kids ages 6 & 9 liked the other pool beside the kids pool. It looked newer and much nicer, spent most of our time there.. WELL the beaches is why I took my kids there, they are AWESOME, even though the flag was yellow with high waves most of the time, it is great if you are a great swimmer.

Sports bar is far from a sports bar, 2 pool tables, the bar and one tv in the middle, the game room was even worst, hit n miss to get a ball to play ping pong, a few pool tables and video games that looked to be out of order or just turned off.

GOOD!! didnt see any roaches the whole time i was there, the chefs making the eggs n oomelets was great every morning, but getting drinks while in the buffet was pretty slow, but we had a regular guy to serve us the last 3 days in the morning and during lunch, so when I gave him a tip for the great service, the next time we sat down he was right there to get our drinks, thats what I saw in the resort alot of tips being passed around to get the service that you would normally get at other resorts, but i think the lack of staff n energy to be there made the resort an average place to go.

Pizza place, the kids n us enjoyed it, but again very slow service n line ups were crazy, we tried the jap, italian, french were the BEST, the dominican was ok and the texmex was weird, nothing mex about it, besides the salsa n chips u got. just seemed like a normal sit down rest.

So to sum up this RESORT, if you are on a tight budget n don't mind a below average resort with great food and some hit or miss of great staff, then book barcelo punta cana, but spend the extra $$ and go somewhere else, thats what we got from this Resort and talking to other people as well. good luck!!

Room Tip: bring a cup to get drinks, as the cups they give you are really small. brings lots of USA dollar bil...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Only unique thing this resort has going for it is the pools, kids mini water park and trapeze/rock climbing wall. I'd never go back- our prestige booking was reduced by front desk staff to a "request only" and subsequently we ended up in building 5, level 0... Facing the jungle, next to the disco. Did I mention this was a family vacation? Checking in at 1:35am no less. Staff advised my prestige room wasn't available but in the morning we would move. This never happened- we ended up on the 3rd floor, same building... Taps and doors to the balcony were corroded (not a huge deal on3rd floor balcony but concerning on ground floor).
Second room was gross but determined not to let this get us down. That night we awoke to yelling and initially general party banter that escalated to racial slurs and physical fighting. Tried to call security- phone was dead! Nothing was done to resolve, we lay quite fearful of what was going on outside our door... Thank god the kids slept through this.
Day3- demanded our 'confirmed' prestige room. Nothing available except a king size bed- we took it. Yep, family of 4 desperate to get away from the riff raff took the room. Demanded a cot-they came through on this. This room (building 1) was great... 1 night solid sleep until the couple next door fought, vomited and hollered- we heard every single bit. Good thing the phone worked to report noise... Security responded in under 5 min And the remaining nights were fairly restful.
I compared this resort to the Grand Bahia down the road- and knowing what excellent service we had there 3 years ago, held the Barcelona punta cana to the same expectation... Never happened.
Kids splash water park is the best thing going here... My 6 and 7 year old loved it, it was safe and I could relax, read, drink and watch them all from my lounger. This is what keeps my review from being on the scathing side.
Food was only OK - no barfs or trots so automatic thumb up at least.
HUGE note for future traveller's here- go prestige as buildings 4-7 are party and party pool area.
*DO NOT* get the "henna" tattoos from the serbian lady on the beach! It is black (henna is green!!) and she's using dye, possibly PPD - my 7 year old is now being treated with aggressive antibiotics. For potential PPD sensitivity. Sadly, No recourse for us here, just buyer beware for others as it is nasty with potential long term health effects...

Room Tip: Prestige is worth the additional $ or book. 5* elsewhere!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Northern Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We traveled with Nolitours from March 25 - April 1, 2012 and flew CanJet. There were 15 in our group, my husband, my three year old son and myself, along with some other family members and grandparents.

We had contacted the resort ahead of time to try and arrange rooms close together, and our emails were answered very quickly, and we were accomodated - our group was all in the same section which was really nice. We were married there five years ago, and as a courtesy, we were upgraded to a suite in building 3, second floor, overlooking the pool and ocean. A very nice surprise, and a nice touch on the part of the resort's manager. One party in our group ended up with one of the very rare rooms with no balcony. They went down to the front desk, and were reassigned to a room close to us in building three. The view was amazing from our room, and yes, you could sometimes hear the nightly singer or saxophone player but they were done by 11pm, and my husband and I would sit on our balcony and enjoy the music. The room was clean and beautiful, fridge stocked daily, and beds were comfortable. We had two bathrooms, lots of water pressure and hot water.

Our 3-year old son loved the "quiet" pool and the kids pool next to it. He had a ball for hours every day at each pool. Of all the resorts I've been to, I love the layout of this one best, as the property extends along the beach with a large section of beachfront, rather than having a narrow beachfront and extending inland leaving long walks for some guests to get to the beach. Here, the rooms are close to the pools, and the pools are very close to the beach, so you can get where you want quickly. Something to consider when you have a 3-year old who wants to play on the beach, then swim in the pool, and out to the beach again...

The food was fine. My husband and my son are both picky eaters, and the buffet is so huge, there is always something to eat. We had no problems there. We did go to Tokio and the Marlin - both had great food, and the Tokio is fun for the entertainment value as well.

Our son LOVED the kids club. He didn't use it much during the day except for one afternoon of rain, but he participated in the Mini Disco every night. It was one of the highlights of his trip, and the rest of our group thoroughly enjoyed watching him and the other kids up on stage. The staff there do a great job at entertaining the kids all day, and maintaining a high level of enthusiasm for the evening activities. There was always some sort of contest at the end of the show, and the kids enjoyed learning the actions to the songs they played. Our son fell in love with Bella, who seemed to run the show. She was fantastic, making each night a different theme - toga night, beach party night, dance party night in the disco... loads of fun for the kids.

We didn't see much of the spring breakers as other reviews have mentioned, but we didn't attend the "party" pool much either. The few times we were there, it did seem the crowd was in the late-teens or early-twenties range, and the animation staff were out and about getting people to dance etc. We were in our rooms early so didn't see any of the shenanigans. One night we did hear some of them whooping it up near the pool for a very short time, but it wasn't a big deal.

We took the opportunity to have family photographs done while we were there, and were extremely happy with the results. Our photographer was Pablo, and he was FANTASTIC with kids, getting great shots of our little guy running and playing at the beach. Even in the days after the shoot, he would run and chase our son when he saw him out in the resort. He took some beautiful pictures that we'll treasure.

We did a 1/2 day excursion to Manati Park. There is a bus that picks you up at the resort, and brings you back. It was ok - our 3 year old got a kick out of the dolphin show and the animals at the park, but the people at the shops were extremely aggressive in trying to get you to buy things, and it just made me want to get out of there!

The nightly entertainment that we saw was good, and the theatre is amazing - it was new from when we were there last. The staff at all the bars and all the restaurants were polite, friendly, and would joke around with the kids - they LOVE kids - and would remember our son from night to night which made him feel special. They are very busy, work very hard, and maintain a good attitude throughout from what we saw.

The beach is amazing at this resort. You have to see it to believe it. It was an absolutely fantastic vacation and we will for sure be back.

Room Tip: Buildings 2 and 3 have great views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We just returned back from the Barcelo Punta Cana and I can honestly say that it is the worst resort that I have ever stayed at. I have traveled to many tropical destinations including Cuba twice, Mexico twice and Jamaica once. To summarize our trip:
The good: the beach and pools.
The bad: the service and the food.
The ugly: the rooms!!!!!
Our room was in building 7 which was close to the beach and pools. However, there was visible mold in the bathroom, the bathroom was missing ceiling tiles and towel racks, the toilet only flushed after 5-6 attempts, the ceiling leaked and the maid never wiped down a surface! In addition, my sheets were never changed. I could tell because they were obviously stained and easily recognized! I even tried tipping more and nothing change. Did I mention the cockroaches and spiders that when you squished them little baby spiders ran everywhere?? Bring your own toiletries because they have no shampoo or conditioner and never brought more soap. I had assumed they would have shampoo and had to go to the store on the resort where they charged $22 American for a bottle of shampoo.
At the end of the day the trip is what you make of it and my husband and I made the best of it. We did many excursions including zip lining that we highly recommend. We avoided the buffet restaurant as much as possible and ate at the snack bar by the pool daily. The fries were great! I would consider going back to the Dominican, but NEVER to this resort! I still haven't brought my luggage inside the house yet for fear of bringing in bugs and have washed everything!

Room Tip: I heard that the renovated sections (Buildings 1, 2 and 3 were better). Avoid building 7 and partic...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I recently went to this property for an all inclusive vacation. Personaly I would not return, but want to give a fair review as it would be suitable for some. You cannot beat the warm, friendly welcome of the Dominican people. Staff all around were great.

Suitable for families with young children and college students. Grounds well kept. Nice kids area with kids pool. An older property with updates only done in certain buildings (1,2 & 3). Comments received on other buildings from several Canadian travellers were that the rooms were in extremley poor condition and they all were moved several times before they could find a decent room.Would not recommend if you want a quiet vacation as a couple. It is an extremely noisy resort, both in the lobby and the restaurant areas. Lots of kids and young high school and college students the week before easter.

Pros: Rooms are close to the beach and many are facing the ocean which is really nice as you can enjoy the views from your balcony. The beach is beautiful and deep. The colour of the water in this area is a beautiful,clear turquoise; great for swimming. There is a club lounge available offering concierge services. This is well worth the extra $100 dollars as breakfast is served in a quiet environment; free wireless internet access; premium drinks, concierge servies ie. booking of restaurants and other activities, late checkout .

Cons: Lobby is very drab and small. Lobby bars are ugly and uninviting and very noisey. There is constant traffic and huge noise levels throughout the property. Restaurant food is very average. Buffet restaurant served basically the same food each day. Was surprised at the lack of fresh grilled fish. Restaurant food is also very average. The Japanese restaurant food was good. House wines were virtually undrinkable. Even the wine list selection (you paid extra) was very poor. Very little shade on the beach as there are no palapas,only small palms which offer very little shade; thus you become extremley close to your neighbours as everyone is desperately trying to find as much shade as they can. Nice way to meet others.

Room Tip: Go with Air Transat and stay in buildings 1,2,3. Pay a little extra for a Suite and get a room wit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Mpls MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week (April 1-8) at the Barceló Punta Cana. We found that previous reviews were pretty spot on, and you truly to get what you pay for. This is our seventh all-inclusive in the Caribbean. Here is our review:
Rooms: We had a Deluxe on the 4th floor (Rm 2401). The room was great view was even better (balcony overlooking pool and ocean in distance). Always clean, great view, bed was comfy. Fridge was stocked daily with soda, water and beer. The bathroom was nice sized as well and we only experienced water pressure issues once however had hot water the entire week.
Pools: We only spent time at the quiet pool. It was always clean and no issues. We avoided the "party" pool as there were 100 high school spring breakers at that location and didn't appear to have any self control. We wanted to relax and not deal with chaos. So we found the perfect place on the quiet side.
Food: Ok at best. The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet was bland and no variation (same food served day after day and we were bored after a couple of sittings. We do understand that it is difficult to feed 1000 people, however we've stayed at several other all-inclusives and they had "themed" nights at the buffet to shake it up a little (Mexican once night, Japanese/Chinese another, etc). The buffet seemed to be understaffed as there were rarely tables that had forks, spoons, knives or water glasses and it was a scramble to find these or staff to assist if needed. The pizza shack was good - but again, service slow. Each time we ate there it was a wait for a table and a wait for food. If you are in a hurry - don't stop here for a bite. Each occasion we were there for over an hour. The Mirador was ok - nice for a quick bite at lunch and the grill was a nice variety.
Ala Carte: We ate at three. Tokio - was ok. Normal Japanese hibachi grill (if you've been to one in the states or Canada you can expect the same here). Roma - the Italian food was good. Nothing spectacular. And the Tex-Mex...we were not impressed at all. This by no means was Tex-Mex. It was more American than anything and the only "flair" related to Tex-Mex was the salsa served at the beginning or the fajitas. My husband ordered the ribs and they were cold (as were others we spoke to that had eaten this dish). We heard Paris was delicious and wished we would have gone there.
Gym: If you are inclined to work out - it's actually a nice set-up. Good space. One treadmill, and several bikes and lots of weights (free weights and machines).
Bars: We only were at the lobby bars - and both were nice. Staff were slow (but remember you are on their time). In the evenings one of the bars has nice entertainment (singers, sax players etc...depended on the night).
Evening shows: We only attended two. And they were your typical fare of an all-inclusive show.
Beaches: The main reason we came to the Dominican. AMAZING. Well kept, no trash and the views - WOW!
Finally: if you are planning a trip for March-the beginning of April please be aware that this hotel caters to Spring Breakers (both university level and high-school level) (it is advertised on the spring break websites as a place “to be”). My recommendation is to not stay at this hotel during this time frame if you want to not feel as though you are in chaos. We are US residents and were embarrassed not only by the high schoolers from Michigan but also their parents which didn't seem to have any control over what the kids did (some parents even encouraged the behaviors). The biggest dissapointment related to the Spring Breakers is the lack of self-control. We were woen everynight at 2am, 3am and 4am (when each of the bars closed) to kids yelling and screaming in the halls.
Would we go back to the Barceló Punta Cana? No, while the deluxe rooms were nice as were the pools and beach. One could find something at a different hotel if you want to pay a little more money (you truly get what you pay for). Most staff work hard (servers and room attendants) however the Barceló needs to add people to their staffing roster. We've actually paid less elsewhere and gotten better service and food.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on the 4th floor offer amazing views of ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Best accomodations, service, food, beach etc.
We've travelled alot (aprox. 20) to Cuba and Dominican Republic
and nothing compares to Barcelo resort. Its an Excellent resort.

Room Tip: If you want to be in a quieter part of the resort choose the Premium rooms with a balcony overlooki...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!