“Another Fabulous Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #41 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Another Fabulous Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from another amazing week at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place and their staff. It was our 2nd trip here and we were so flattered that some of the staff even remember us from last time. We originally received the same room as last time (totally coincidental!) However the air conditioning was not working. We were moved to another suite with no hassle from Monica at the front desk. She was very helpful during our stay. I have read some negative reviews and I just wonder if they even stayed at the same resort! This is not your home country, you cannot expect exactly how you receive everything at home. That's part of the experience. Yes the rooms can smell musty, the moist tropical climate makes it impossible to dry up. I'm sure you are coming to the Dominican for the weather, well that's how it is. Please just enjoy yourself and don't let every little thing bother you. You're on vacation, relax and de-stress!
I can't say enough about the food, the Tao Cat Thai restaurant is by far our favourite. However the Cata Tapa is also wonderful. Lunch at Sea Blue is perfect.
Please say hello to Sonito, always happy to see us. As well as Edward at the Sea Blue bar, he was great. Also say hello to Altagracia in the Cata Tapa and Daniel at the lobby bar, both excellent at their job and eager to please.
There wasn't anything that was wrong with our stay and we are already looking forward to when we can return.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
mhill0406
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just came back from a wonderful week at Royal Catalonia Bravaro. Thanks to Roberto, Amarlily, Andres, and Cecelia! Beautiful grounds! The food was superior and love the sit down, menu ordering nature of the resort. And NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

Also had an awesome beach party!! Gracias everyone! Wow!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I surprised my wife with a 7 day birthday trip and chose this place because of the reviews. We were not disappointed at all. The grounds were kept so perfect it didn't look real at times, the staff worked around the clock keeping the resort very clean. Upon our arrival we were greeted at the door with a warm welcome and a papaya drink that was quiet tasty. The staff made us feel very welcomed and provided excellent customer service from the time we arrived until we left. We had a special request that we didn't expect to be possible but they took care of us. My wife needs to drink a medical tea every day that needed to be boiled and without us having a stove in our room there was no way it could be done. The Chef didn't hesitate to accommodate her and made sure she had her tea fresh everyday. I was completely blown away and so thankful to them for doing that.

Our room was a good size, hot tub in the room, very clean. At first it was very humid in the room. So much so our bed felt wet and moist, the very next day without request there was a dehumidifier in our room. Talk about first class service!

On a scale of 1-10 I give the food at the resort a 6. Food wasn't a knock out of the park but it did the job. I love the fact that there was food available 24/7 either by restaurant or room service. They had a great variety from sea food to Caribbean to Japanese.

The only downfall which is some what minor is the amount of seaweed that was on the beach. We were able to find a stretch of beach where there was less.

On the resort they're were different activities every night which made it exciting yet the resort was very quiet and peaceful.

Overall we loved this place and can not wait to come back. Highly recommend you have your vacation here you won't be disappointed.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was a good value for the money. The restaurants and food were great. We like having sit down restaurants without having to make reservations. The room was nice but a bit musty, but mostly corrected after the AC was kicked up on high for a day. There was a leak in the room above us, and a small piece of the ceiling fell on our last night. The room was clean and comfortable.
The beach area was wonderful, and we really appreciated the "Adults Only" atmosphere. We liked not having any loud music, etc. It was very peaceful, with lots of shade from thatched shades and lots of mature palms. The beach at the oceans edge was ok, but lots of seaweed. There were crews constantly working and cleaning it up. The two golf courses were ok. The nine hole was fun, but not much for service. The 18 hole course was more like playing a municipal course with not a lot of maintenance. No services on the course such as drinks, etc. They did provide coolers on the cart with ice and bottled water.

Room Tip: Wifi worked ok. It was best in the Piano lounge in the lobby, but it worked ok in the room.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I just returned from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, and had a wonderful stay. Overall, I think it's a solid resort that has a lot going for it. I don't really agree with any of the negative comments below, particularly the comments about service (I did not experience any problems with the staff). I also didn't notice anything that was "outdated" although I did notice a little paint chipping but I saw this as normal wear and tear. A few comments on specifics:

- I don't usually go for upgraded rooms, but we opted for the pool suite this time, and it was absolutely WORTH IT. We couldn't have had a better experience with the room. An added bonus was that the room didn't suffer from a musty smell like the junior suites apparently have. It was open, and spacious, and the patio was such a great place to relax in private. And, of course, it was great to have our own pool (although not really necessary as the other resort pools are also very nice).

- The beach has really nice sand and had a tranquil feel. It's covered in palm trees, so don't expect a huge stretch of sand...the trees go up to the water. However, I liked this because it provided a nice mix of sunshine and shade - you could go to the beach and find a sunny spot right next to a shady spot. As for the seaweed, it seemed to be worse on some days, but they were always working meticulously to clear it out. I was not bothered by it at all.

- The food was basically as I expected for an all-inclusive. I wasn't blown away, but it certainly wasn't bad. I liked the Asian restaurant by the pool (it actually serves pizza for lunch and Thai food in the evening) and the poolside bar/restaurant. In the main resort, the Yuca caribbean restaurant was great too.

- My sleep quality was not the greatest. The beds just aren't luxurious. I don't like firm mattresses or feather pillows (they flatten out too easily), and unfortunately the beds have both. On my last day I discovered that they had a "pillow menu", so I apparently could have asked for a different pillow, but I didn't know this. However, given my overall experience with the resort, it was easy not to get hung up on the quality of the bed. And, I made up for less sleep by napping on the beach anyway :)

- I thought the service was great. Everyone was pleasant and seemed eager to please. Sometimes the dinner service was slow, but that didn't bother me. Overall, I felt very welcomed by the staff.

- I did not have much trouble with the wifi. It had occasional connectivity problems, but it was generally more reliable than I expected it to be. This was key because I had to take care of a few things for work, and if the wifi had not worked (or it had not been offered for free), it would have affected the quality of my trip. Catalonia Royal made keeping in touch with work very easy, which allowed me to relax, rather than worry.

- It's a good idea to stay on the "adults only" side if you're not traveling with kids. You have full access to the family resort, but adults staying in the family resort do not have access to the adults side. It's definitely worth having the ability to visit both parts of the resort.

- I don't know if I would really call this a "five star" resort, but I think it's a fantastic value if you can get a good deal (as we did). Definitely would recommend!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a pool suite. Totally worth it.
Dryden, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are headed to this resort at the end of February. I have been the the neighbouring resort, and when I had the chance to sneak over and see the royal, I knew my husband and I had to come here! So my question is:
If I am booked at the Royal side do I still have to upgrade to "privilege" or would we already have that?
Reason being, better booze, not sure what else that includes but I know I wished I was "privilege" last year...
I would appreciate any suggestions or info from some experienced Royal Bavaro visitors! Also, for honeymoon specials are there any easy upgrades, plunge pools or hammocks etc? Thank you :)

Stayed January 2015
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Resort is not that big but you have access to neighboring family resort that have disco, open air theater and lot more. Staff is very pleasant and welcome. Rooms very clean and big. We stayed their only 4 nights but I gain 5lbs because of their delicious food )). It is very great for couples, nice and beautiful place. Wifi sometimes didn't work well especially in our room but we did not go there to spend time in front of computer or with the phone. I would definitely recommend this resort to my friends.

Room Tip: Rooms with view on swimming pools doesn't give you feel of privacy
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!