“STAY AWAY!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #35 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Austin, Texas
“STAY AWAY!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stay Somewhere Else!!!

This was the absolute worst resort my husband and I have ever stayed at. I thought this was a good resort and was excited about visiting Punta Cana for the first time. The people that give this place a good review must not know how an All-Inclusive resort is supposed to treat you and service you.

I'll start with check in. We waited in line for 45 minutes and we were never offered the so called “Welcome Drink.” We’ve stayed at other All-Inclusive resorts and within minutes a drink is literally being shoved into our hands. Hansel and Nelson, at the front desk are both flat out rude as I’ll get out. This resort for some reason feels entitled to tips and everything else. I brought samples of make-up, perfume, and left tips for the maid and that didn’t do any good. We also tipped the waiters and bartenders and they got pissed off if it was less than $2.00. Do they not know that All-Inclusive means that the tips are already included in the price and tipping is for great service. Well maybe if you offered better service you would get a better tip. Domingo, the bartender at the Sea Blue restaurant gave my husband attitude when he asked for a simple refill on his Pepsi. Edward, the bartender at the Sea Blue was fantastic! Maybe the other bartenders need to take a few tips from Edward on how to treat people.

The next day, after we ate breakfast we were shanghaied by someone who we thought worked for the resort. She walked up to us and said “I know you had a long check-in yesterday so let me make it up to you.” Yeah, she wanted us to spend $20,000.00 on a vacation club. I had to get rude with her and tell her she deceived us. We were not going to waste 2 hours of our vacation listening to her. We got up and walked away and she gave us the “go to hell look” every time she made eye contact with us.

The rooms are nice and clean but that is about the extent of it. On our second night the A/C stopped working at 3:00am. I called upfront and spoke with Nestor who waited until 5:30am to send someone to the room and the maintenance guy said “Nothing is wrong.” Really? I’m from Texas and I’m pretty sure I know what a non-working A/C feels like. After making another call to Nestor, who was at the same extension for the front desk, and room service he said “The new shift starts at 7:00am and I will send someone else to your room.” Well 8:00am rolls around and still nobody shows up. So I called and was told by Hansel “Someone is coming.” I waited another 30 minutes and marched my butt up to the front desk and asked Hansel who I needed to talk with to get the A/C fixed. He said “Someone is coming.” I Said “That’s a lie you said that 45 minutes ago.” We were told that we would be moved but that never happened. I honestly don’t know what was done to the A/C. We left for an excursion that same morning and when we got back the A/C was working.

Room Service is a joke. It takes over an hour for food to arrive and that’s if you can get someone to actually pick up the phone.

The food made me sick; the only place that didn’t make me sick was Thalassa. After talking with some other guests I realized it was all being cross-contaminated. As soon as I would eat anything I was back in the room within 15 minutes because my stomach was upset. The worst place was the Tapas restaurant. I had to literally run from the restaurant back to the room from the horrible cramping that food gave me.

The “good” reviews of this place a few and far between. I honestly thought I was getting a great resort and in the end I was severely disappointed. My husband and I will be going back to Mexico from here on out which is what we’ve done for the past 7 years. Stay away from this place!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Polish first
Augusta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Catalonia Royal in Bavaro had my spouse and I speaking everyday of how is it possible to get the staff to be so friendly and accommodating without it seeming forced! The staff is wonderful, the surrounding are beautiful and the hotel accommodations are clean and comfortable. I want to specifically recognize three staff members that made our stay there extra special! Moises Coranado, Dominga Payano, both who work in the Thessonilica Restaurant and Miladis Ozoria who worked the piano bar across from the restaurant. They were friendly and although their broken English met with our broken Spanish, we worked out a full understanding! Also if you'd like to do any activities or excursions while there, please ask for Henry Marte with Go Caribe Tours! Not only does he ensure a good time for you during your stay, he personalized it with going above and beyond his job requirements to work with the staff in the hotel to get what you need. His English is good enough to do so. Overall I recommend this place for anyone who enjoys a good time with good diverse people from all over. It

Room Tip: We had a honeymoon sweet on the outside. No complaints.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Tametra T,

It is a pleasure to read your excellent review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that your stay was enjoyable. Your recognition has been deliver to Moises, Dominga and Miladis.
We hope to see you soon.

Best regards
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Cons:
*We stayed at the resort for my birthday last year in Sept. 2013. At that time the pool closest to the entrance and check-in had yellow tape around it and was out of service for our entire stay.
*Our first room although nice smelled of mildew so bad we had to move into another room immediately. That room felt humid and you could tell it still had that wet mildew feel however no where as bad as the first so we stayed there. The hot water was not working at all time and the AC was loud. The pictures attached are of the second room we moved to.
*Unfortunately because the staff did not speak English well we could not take advantage of room service. When we ordered pancakes and orange juice we received fruit and grapefruit juice so we had to use the main buffet everyday.
*If you are not a smoker like we aren't, this place would be the worst place to stay because everyone smoked and they had no designated sections for smokers and smokers are rude and will smoke around you like you enjoy that disgusting smell.
*Although it was an "adult only resort" we still saw teenagers there and people were walking around nude which is fine if the teenagers weren't there.
*We tried a beach front massage but they were playing Hip Hop and Reggae music so loud it ruined the whole massage and we were not refunded for the experience.
*There spa facility is small but the massages are great however the bathroom for the spa is some what outdoor and the plumbing is bad and the toilets back up.
*They ran out of clean towels daily

Pros
*Once they knew it was my birthday they surprised us with a personal bottle of rum and a fresh fruit basket.
*It's a beautiful resort as far as the parts that were working.
*Breakfast at the main buffet was good and the wait staff was nice.
*Beautiful beach.
*Rooms are nice if they don't have mildew.
*You can go to Catalonia Bavaro where families stay and enjoy a more variety of food selections and live entertainment.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in the villas that have a private pool if you can afford it those are the best roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Guests,

Thank for your detailed opinion from last year

We are glad that you enjoyed our beach, rooms, breakfast and our resort.
Also we appreciate your comment about your birthday surprise.

We confirm that after a year our hotel had an important progress and your service concerns are
right.

Best Regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Waited over an hour for our room to be ready. Know body has change so bring small bills if you want to tip. Everything in our room was wet and never dried out. We had bed bugs bite us every night. The food was horrible Cisco makes better food. Walked out of the Japanese steak house because of major cross contamination that my wife (trained chef) saw happening. The staff seemed irritated and I'm sure it was because I couldn't tip 20's 50's or 100's for a frozen drink.
5 years ago we were at the Princess and had an awesome experience.

• Stayed September 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments that help us to improve our service.

Check in time is at 3:00 o`clock. We always try to have the rooms ready prior this time.
The food and kindness of our staff is without any doubt the most two valuable aspects of this hotel for our customers.
Our surprise about the bed bugs because it is the first time we have such comment. We are investigating.

We appologize you did not enjoy vacations as you wanted

Best Regards,

Gerenal Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Where do I even begin about catalonia royal bavaro? This was the absolute WORST vacation my husband and I have ever had. We are actually still here at the resort and we are counting the days until we can go home. After reading all the reviews, I thought this was a good resort and was excited about visiting Punta Cana for the first time with two other friends. The people that give this place a good review must not know how an all inclusive resort is supposed to treat you and service you.
I'll start with check in. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 and after waiting in line to check in, we were told our rooms were not ready and to come back in 20 minutes. That was no big deal, we just went to the bar and grabbed a few drinks. 20 minutes later we came back and after waiting for about 10 minutes for someone to talk to us we were told our rooms were still not ready and to come back in 10 minutes. We leave and come back in the time we were told and waited forever once again to be acknowledged. Our friends got their room keys, but our room was still not ready and we were told to come back later. At this point we were completely frustrated left once again and came back later. When we walked up to the front desk, the man helping us looked at me and completely ignored us. He walked into the side room and never came back out. When other staff members walked in and out of the room, I saw the man that was supposed to be getting our room keys just sitting there! REALLY??? Also note that we were not the only people having issues getting checked in. We met another couple that was having the same issue. When we finally got someone else to help us and get us our room keys we realized our room and our friends room were on opposite sides of the resort. We sent emails and called the resort numerous times before our trip and asked for our rooms to be near each other. We also told the resort this was our anniversary trip and they never acknowledge that. This whole mess completely put a terrible start to our vacation.
The next day, we were told to meet with our representative to set up excursions. We saw a video advertised in the lobby that was a dune buggy tour where you drive to the beach and tour a cave. We all decided to do this. On Wednesday we set our alarms, get up, and go to the excursion, Wild Tiger. When we get there we were singled out and told that we could not do the tour with the cave and the beach becAuse of our booking company, Amstar. We tried fixing this at the excursion and were told time is money and to get back on the bus and go get a refund. TERRIBLE SERVICE!' When we get back to the hotel we all went through a huge argument with our representative and guest services. Long story short, they were not helpful and would not do anything to help is out.
Next on the rooms. They are set up very nice. We were pleased with everything in the room... at first. Our refrigerator was not cold at all. Our pillows were terrible so we ordered 4 more and only got one. Our friends got bed bugs and the hotel would not move them to a new room. We got pictures of the bugs and personally showed the staff the room and they were NEVER moved!!! That is horrible!!!!
You can hardly ever get room service to pick up. We had to go to the front desk to order once. Then they take an hour or more to bring you your food.
We ate at the Asian and Spanish restaurants and loved them. However we went and ate at sea blue and I ordered the chicken. I took a few bites and realized my chick was RAW!!! I stopped eating and went back to the room and got sick. All four of is ended up getting sick as did the couple that we met at the resort. As soon as we would eat anything we would have to go to the room because our stomachs were upset.
For our troubles with the excursion and all of our room issues we received a half hour massage. That was a joke. My husband and I left with a headache and were definitely not relaxed like you should be after a massage.
I do want to say Miladis at the piano bar is absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough good words about her. She was the only staff member we liked at the resort.
There are plenty of other bad issues we had but this is enough to complain about right now. I would stay away from this resort. Terrible staff and service, mostly terrible food , and you get sick every day!!
STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed September 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My wife and I went there for our anniversary ,
It was an excellent Resort and ideal for the couples with lots of restaurants and activities.
Tips:
WIFI in the rooms is just a joke ! but who cares
Try not to miss the Japanese restaurant and Casino!

Room Tip: Apt.# 38, Rooms on the 3th. floor are quieter
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Nima G,

Thanks for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that your stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro was excellent in your anniversary.

We hope to have you back soon.

Best regards
General Manager.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro for a week back in April 2012, but having just returned from another adults-only in the Caribbean, I wanted to share my experience here too. This was the first all-inclusive vacation that we went on together as we normally book flights and accommodations separately. I prefer planning our trips this way so we can scope out local restaurants and wander about the city, but we were looking to travel on a budget, so we figured we’d give this resort a try. We found a well-priced deal for the trip through Flight Centre and booked after doing a little research.

Overall – if there was a ranking between average and very good, that’s where I’d place this. There is fair variety in the meals and the quality of food is good. The resort has well-maintained and expansive grounds for its 255 rooms. It’s a short walk over to the Catalonia Bavaro Resort Punta Cana (Beach Casino and Golf Resort) where you have access to all of their facilities and restaurants as well.

We ate at the restaurants at both the adults-only side and the “family” side, but didn’t go for the dinner buffet. We enjoyed the lunch options at the family side as well. It was nice to be able to come back and sleep in the peace and quiet of our resort, but still have access to activity next door. The on-site spa facilities and small shops are greatly appreciated. We went to the crepes place for a treat often. It’s also easy to go off resort if you’re so inclined. We went to the Jellyfish Restaurant one night and though the restaurant was lovely, the food was just okay. For the dinner restaurants, no reservations are required, which is nice, you just go to whichever one you'd like to try and go to the same one as often as you'd like. On the family side, this might mean you have to wait a while to be seated, but it's never too long of a wait. On the adults-only (Royal Bavaro) side, there was rarely a wait at either the tapas place or Thalassa.

We spent half our time by the lower pool closer to the beach, and the other days on the beach. Getting covered seating at both is always a challenge. You sadly have to get up early by 7am or 8am to reserve a spot for yourself, otherwise good luck. The beach is okay, not great. Perhaps because it was stormy the weeks before we arrived, there was lots of seaweed washed up to the shore. We were also cautioned against walking on the beach at night because it’s not very safe. There’s an off-resort market a short walk from the beachfront where we picked up a few things.

The rooms are spacious (we had a deluxe junior suite on the first floor facing the pool/fountain). I can’t recall which villa it was, but it was either 38 or 36. There was another couple that traveled at the same time as us that found their room to be too humid (they described their sheets as feeling drenched) and they had no hot running water, so they asked for a room change. We had no issues with our room. We knew it would be humid, so we brought along a portable dehumidifier dry-pack box, not sure if it made much of a difference. I’d recommend bringing a box of dryer sheets in case your room smells musty, as that really can’t be helped. Ours was fine. It was nice to have a Jacuzzi in our room and it’s a standard feature in all of their junior suites I believe. The couples that had reserved the swim-up suites made good use of their private pools, which are not too private as they’re facing the main walkway opposite the large water feature/fountain. Nonetheless they looked lovely and seemed like a nice splurge option.

Recommended for: Travelers who are 20+, don’t want to be surrounded by lots of families with young kids and want to stay at a small to mid-size resort but still have access to the amenities of a mega-resort close by.

Stayed April 6 to April 13, 2012

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool or ocean, not a gardenview which looks out to the back of the hot...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!