“Very good but room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #36 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Very good but room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just returned from my trip and spent 3-4 nights at this hotel. I read a bunch of the reviews on TripAdvisor and looked up room tips. Ahead of time, I requested a front facing room on an upper level in Building 38 since it was relatively close to the beach. I have stayed at a number of all inclusives in DR and Mexico. My room didn't have the musty smell but my bathroom had a slight musty smell. I think it was due to the lack of proper ventilation.

Service - The service at this resort was great for the most part -> other than the restaurants. Reception explained everything clearly to us and the bell boy was helpful. Majority of the workers greet you and try to chat with you. Our room service was also delivered in 30 mins. Concierge helped us print our boarding passes since there isn't a printer available in the business center. Though I thought it was weird that the receptionist couldn't do it for us and made us wait till the next day for the concierge. Everybody works hard from what I saw. I saw maintenance workers using machetes to trim the overgrown grass from the pathways. The hotel could have bought a lawn trimmer which would've been more efficient. Pool waiters usually took drink orders from guests for 1-2 hours in the afternoon but the bar is a short walk away if you couldn't find them.

The service at the restaurants (Thalassa and Cata Tapa) was slow to the point where people who arrived after me finished their meals and left before I did. I understand things are slower in the Caribbean but it wasn't like that in the Bahamas, T&C, Mexico or the other DR resorts I have been to. At Thalassa, I waited 1.5 hours for my entree and finally the waiter came over to tell me it would be out soon. I guess he saw my annoyed facial expression. I don't know if our food orders were missed or moved down the line or what happened but I was pretty irritated over that. Other guests were annoyed too and I saw alot of people walking out rather than order dessert. My waiter tried to chase me down because he was surprised I didn't want dessert but after waiting so long to eat my entrees, I didn't want to wait another 30 mins for dessert. So management should try improving the efficiency of the kitchen and restaurant service. I also found the maid service to be a little spotty. The shampoos and soaps were replenished but my hand towel wasn't. The bed was always made but the floors were not cleaned/sweeped.

Food - This brings me to food. It was pretty much as expected based on other people's past experiences. The food looks pretty but is bland for the most part at all the restaurants and room service. The only thing that I felt that was properly seasoned was the Catalonia appetizer at Cata Tapa. Dessert was also a bit of a disappointment. I didn't like the chocolate cake or the profiteroles at all and I usually love ALL things with chocolate. Most of the other dishes, I had to add my own salt and pepper to season it. At Thalassa, I was liberally pouring the pepper into my lobster bisque. I was also surprised that a lobster dish required a surcharge of $20. All of the other all-inclusives that I have been to usually provide this at no additional charge. Room service was also simple but if you wanted to do substitutes, forget it unless you know Spanish. It was always a surprise when we got our food from room service but not a big deal for us.

Beach - Similar to other reviews, there is a lot of seaweed. The crew does rake the seaweed but there is still quite a bit. I think it mainly depends on the weather. On a windy day, it seemed as if there was alot more seaweed in the water and on the sand. On a clear day, there was a manageable amount but it is still there. I don't think the beach was the main selling point. It isn't a flat bed of sand. Instead there is a slight drop from the beach loungers to the sand by the water. Also the sand isn't powdery white or clean like the Turks and Caicos sand. There is some debris in it. I thought it was great that they had a wheel chair accessible flat platform and reserved palapa/loungers for guests with mobility issues.

Finishes/Overall Construction - The rooms are big. You have a huge bathroom, a bed area, a sitting area and a balcony. The resort's lawn and plants were nice. However, I felt that the overall construction and finishes were shoddy and seemed rushed. For instance, the grout work in between the tiles were done without much thought and varied noticeably. The walls and paint were also chipped here and there. The stone pathways were not leveled and because of that, there were a lot of puddles that we had to walk through. When it rained, the open air tiled corridors were extremely slippery and the wooden steps for the building creaked so bad that it felt as if it would break apart under our feet. We usually took the wooden steps on the other side to avoid this.

Chair Hoarding - So this was something I didn't see too much about on other people's posts. I went to the infinity pool at 9:30 am on my first day thinking that I could just relax and eat my breakfast before getting a lounger. The loungers around the infinity pool were pretty much taken at this point and there were no umbrellas available. So the next day, I planned on waking up early to get a good spot. Since my balcony overlooks the pool, I saw the cushioned loungers by the infinity pool were already taken at 7am... I don't know if the staff reserves these chairs for guests staying in villas or if they're tipped by guests to reserve it. But it was pretty annoying because I would see these cushioned loungers reserved by towels but the guests wouldn't arrive till 1pm to use them. FYI- the cushioned loungers around the infinity pool get the best sun in the afternoon and the other chairs are plastic and do not have cushions. So maybe it would be smarter to just make all the loungers the same and cushioned or just have reserve signs with the villa's guests names on it. I was pretty peeved about this because I expected this to happen at the large all inclusives like the one next door and I thought that at an adults only all-inclusive this wouldn't happen.

I feel that this hotel has a lot of room for improvements and it is above average. The staff and the service makes this hotel. Management needs to fix the poor restaurant service, bland food, spotty maid service, and chair hoarding issue. Those are fixes that are manageable. The finishes/construction would be harder to change. I don't think I would return to this hotel since there are so many others to try in the Caribbean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Mrs. & Mr. ZHSZE,

Thank you for sharing your comment on trip advisor, we appreciate you choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. We are pleased to receive your valuable feedback regarding our different areas and facilities.

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our front desk and Concierge staff, it’s always their pleasure to provide a one of a kind experience. In regards of the inconveniences presented at the restaurants and housekeeping, please receive our sincerest apologies, we take your valuable feedback to make sure this issues are corrected.

Regarding the loungers at the pool we kindly clarify the resort has a no reservation policy, we are sorry for any inconvenience. We take your suggestion importantly and hope to have the honor to exceed your expectations in the future.

2,933 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from 5th Nov for 2 weeks

This place is without a doubt absolutely amazing.
I am an avid trip advisor reader before travelling and believe that you really have to be very unlucky indeed to have had a bad experience at this hotel.
Everything about this place is what we were looking for.

Transfer - 20 minutes from the airport (passport control was pretty quick but you have to pay an entrance tax)

Check in - Very quick and efficient with a lovely fruit punch to drink while checking in.

Room - We were on the ground floor (4412) There was a bit of a musty smell on arrival, but this went as soon as the A/C was turned on.
We did have one issue with a leaking toilet which we reported and was dealt with immediately and professionally.
Right outside the balcony were some local flowers and bushes, and it was amazing to watch the Humming Birds feeding literally right in front of you in their natural habitat.
Mini fridge filled daily with the usual, room cleaned twice a day to a very high standard

Beach - If I am being honest, it is not the best beach with have been on, but still full of charm and quite typically and distinctively West Indian, so certainly not a negative.
There is a market at the end of the hotel beach which is worth visiting, it is great for a bit of haggling and getting a few bargains, also very safe.

Food and drink - This was one of the selling points for us. We found the food the best we have ever eaten on a holiday. The Tapas is a must, Every meal we had was of a very high quality.
There are 3 restaurants on the royal side, but if you wish to eat on the family side then you can,
The beer was always lovely and chilled and you have to try the cocktails in the piano bar.
Thank you to Roberto, Miladis Ozoria, Keyla Fernandez and Zuleiny Gil, These are lovely lovely people who will really make your holiday that little bit better.

Grounds - These are kept immaculate, and quite often the hard working gardeners will offer you a coconut which they will freshly open for you (really nice touch)

Staff - No problem with the language barrier, all staff were very happy and seemed content, which makes your holiday so much better.

There are mosquito's, so it is advisable to take repellent, but remember that you are in the tropics, so you have to expect it.

Thomson Rep - Domingo - This man deserves to be on the board of directors, he is a credit to the hotel and a credit to Thomson's. I have never met a man so passionate about his work,
I have met a friend in Domingo and am really looking forward to seeing him again.

Would I recommend this place ? - Absolutely
Would I return to this hotel ? - We are already saving to return next year.

Dear Mr. shaun h,

Thank you for sharing your excellent review regarding your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. We are pleased to read you had an amazing holiday experience; we are thrilled to confirm we exceeded your expectations! It was our staff pleasure to promptly assist you with the room report.

We appreciate your excellent comments of our restaurants and staff; we will be delighted to congratulate them on your behalf. Thank you for recommending us, we certainly look forward to your next visit!

Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

ANY ONE THAT HAS A 4-5 STAR STANDARD IN SERVICE & STAY WILL BE DISSAPOINTED LIKE I WAS..
I will NEVER ever go back there again.
There is no customor service for canadians what so ever.
We had problems after problems from the room to the restaurant to the excersions.
We gave them ample time to try & resolve the problems.
They did nothing about it, besides telling us they were working on it & NEVER go back to us.
If u have a low standaerd of living u might enjoy ur self, but if u have standards like we do, u wont enjoy ur stay or self.
We had ANTS all over the room, we were sleeping & ANTS were crawling all over us.
They moved us to another room with NO air conditoning & there was some type of roaches in that room as well, what a night mare, we hardly SLEPT.
On our 5th day they finally moved us to another room that seemed ok but it was to late.
When ever we would see the MANAGERS Louise or Ruban they would turn their heads like NOTHING HAPPENED, we even spoke to the GENERAL MANAGER he as well did nothing but make promises,
We didnt wven get an apology.
We went to eat breakfast one morning & there was dead roach or some insect on our table.
I almost forgot we also witnessed the cleaning lady grab our dirty towl from the floor & wipe our toilet seat, then wipe our sink & counter with same towl, GROSS.
After seeing that we told them we will clean our room & washroom our selves for the rest of our stay.
We stayed at this all inclusive adults only resort from 16 nov to 22nov 2013.
The family resort that is connected to the adults only was way better ..& its cheaper & cleaner then the adults only.
If anyone wants more info pls contact me via email diesel_954rr@hotmail.com I will be happy to go more in depth & have pic tures i can send..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Mrs/ Mr. diesel d,

Greetings, we appreciate your time invested in sharing your comment. We are disappointed in regards of not being able to exceed your expectations. We must clarify every report is take with outmost importance and addressed to be corrected and make sure it does not repeat in the future. Please be informed we provided continuous follow up and were ensured that each room during your holidays in the best condition. Once again thank you, we wish to welcome you back at Catalonia Royal Bavaro being our main goal to exceed your expectations.

Leyland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I had an amazing romantic holiday at this adults only resort. We had a 5* time but the hotel is definitely only 4*.
The grounds and gardens are lovely and tended constantly by friendly, hard working, machete wielding staff!
The food was good, the desserts were excellent. The restaurants are a la carte and this means there is no chance for over eating as there is at the buffet style eating. We found this to be lovely, intimate and a special part of the holiday. The food on the royal side being superior to the family side (we found). Having said that, the Japanese was a great meal.

We spend every day on the Beach and they often put on a barbie or rustle up a giant paella. The beach is lovey, lots of shade under palm tress, the beach is kept clear of weed and the sea is warm. We had some amazing snorkeling days. The water was clear and the fish of every colour and shape and size were a joy. We spend hours snorkeling and hand feeding them. The juice bar on the beach is lovely and healthy. The service from the beach bar is good and service is with a smile at all times. Service elsewhere in the resort was hit and miss, sometimes sullen staff and at times not attentive in the slightest. However, we are easy going and it became part of our holiday experience to have a laugh about who would ignore us today! I agree, that this is not everyones attitude towards poor service.

There is use of kayaks and catamaran - complimentary.

The room exceeded expectations. It was comfy, clean, did not smell and maid service was twice a day. We made use of the giant circular bath too. We left a dollar each day and were kept topped up with plenty of water etc.

We did the Thomson trip to Soana Island and got eaten alive by Mozzies. Take spray. We had been spraying religiously every evening but did not think to take some for a daytime trip. We really suffered, the swollen lumpy sight of us would have scared off small children!!

we really did have an amazing time here, made special by the adults only aspect and the intimate dining as well as the idyllic beach and sea. Get up for at least one sun rise - memorable. Thomson rep, Domingo is ever smiling and works every day.

Another nice thing about his resort is that it is not surrounded by other resorts. It stands alone, and if you walk north or south along the beach, you will not see another building. You will however, get approached by locals trying to sell you things.

There are a few small shops on site where you can buy Mozzie cream, rum, cigars etc. The Mozzie cream worked a treat :-). There is an ATM and bank too.

Room Tip: We would not pay extra for the private villa with private pool as they are very much on public show...
Dear Mrs. HelenPD012,

Greetings, thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to receive your valuable feedback. We are content you had a romantic holiday, enjoying our restaurants, room accommodations and grounds, specially our Maloo Bar.

We appreciate your valuable feedback regarding the service; we take your comments importantly to make sure it does not repeat in the future. Once again thank you, we hope to welcome you back for your next holidays.

glos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

we stayed here for 2 weeks my mum who is 75yrs old and i am 53, we have travelled extensively often AI and we thought this hotel was lovely.the garden areas were well cared for and pretty. staff all friendly and helpful.
Beach... gorgeous lots of trees for shade, need to use mozzie cream/spray tho. sea shallow but deep enough to swim in, BBQ on the beach fun..sea grass not a problem they keep on top of it
the POOLS were blissful the main pool having a large jacuzzi section and swim up bar .poolside can be very slippery take sandals with good grip, i would have preferred relaxing or no music at the infinity pool the selection played was mostly annoying 40's piano bar type crooning music, ugh ! the best music played when the tapas restaurant was open ( too late to enjoy it by the pool tho ). the music at the main pool was more upbeat and fun but too repetitive. the piano bar had typical piano twice a week he was talented but the repetoire was too limited would have been nice to hear some more classical not just 'lady in red' or similar.. shame. we didnt go to any shows
FOOD....the AI was good value with both restaurants being waiter service in the evening,cocktails were fab especially the banana mama the strawbry daqury is best without added sugar they make it too sweet. the menus got a bit repetitive as we mostly were too wacked to walk over to the 'family' side to the other restaurants. the restaurant by the fountains was magical called the tapas restaurant.the best lunch was the buffet near the beach on the family side. breakfast at the thalassa was yummy.
TRIPS...we went on the island boat trip which was great fun and beautiful. dont forget mozzie cream they are vicious on the island saw several people badly bitten as soon as they got off the boat ! our other trip went inland to the mountains we visited a school and learnt a lot about the country, fabulous views.
ROOMS.... the first week we were near to the beach the room had 2 double beds but seemed more suited to a couple with not very private bathroom facilities, they started renovations and so we asked for a room change, they accomodated this immediately and the room near to the main building suited us well, an enclosed bathroom and 1 king plus 1 single bed,both rooms had a slightly musty smell but it didnt bother us.the aircon worked well, we were cross they didnt discuss renovations or warn us, the noise was terrible and my mum needs her siesta.
we unfortunately suffered diarrhoea throughout the second week of the holiday, no vomiting or stomach cramps tho, just took immodium after each episode and were then ok for the rest of that day,..take some with you in case.
the bank is on the other side dont rely on the cashpoint it was out of order some of the time and rejected cards, it is easy to use your card to get cash at the bank the hotel shops are expensive buy souvenirs on your trips
it was lovely to stay in an adult only hotel very relaxing
OVERALL... we enjoyed our holiday to the carribean are glad we went, the DR is interesting historically and we have always wanted to visit , we will not be returning as we would rather return to turkey ( a hotel called letoonia the best AI EVER !! ) we are going there in june.a lot less travelling. happy hols everyone.

Room Tip: old fogeys like us near to main building, romance near to beach or villa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Stoney Creek, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We've just returned from our 6th wonderful vacation at Royal Catalonia Bavaro & are already booked for our 7th &8th in January & April.
After reading so many negative reviews we felt we had to send in our sincere thoughts.
Having spent 44 vacations over 30 years in the Dominican, the last 6 at Royal Catalonia we feel we have considerable knowledge of what constitutes a great resort.
They have first rate staff everywhere, always trying to please.
The front desk people - Breney, Angela, Gina & Daisy are all great & speak good English. I don't know where the complainers get the idea the English is bad. All the waiters, waitresses & bartenders have pretty good English. Even the boys that clean the beach know a little & have no trouble communicating.
The Thalassa, Cata Tapa & Sea Blue restaurants are all very good with friendly staff & good service, although we were disappointed the fish orly was missing from the menu at the Sea Blue. Hope they bring it back. Very good drinks & service at all the bars.
Some of the staff have been there since our 1st stay. Luis Cedano, Francisco, Julio, George, Carlos Luis, Hector & the general mgr Josep Castellnou. They always remember us when we return & are happy to welcome us back.
We go for the sun, sand & the beach & because of the wonderful service & staff at Royal Catalonia we are always anxious to return. Can't wait for January.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Judy L,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your trust in choosing us for your 6th visit. We are truly delighted to confirm you had once again a wonderful experience and received the most pleasant service from our staff. We will share your kind remarks with them! Please know we appreciate your valuable feedback, we most certainly look forward to your next visit in January.

Receive warm regards from the team.

Burlington, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

So we stayed here for few days, um never again. Rooms smell gross, staff is rude, food made me sick, ponds are not clean, too may mosquitoes, beach is dirty seaweed everywhere. Honesty, a waste of money i my opinion. If you like a clean resort with friendly service this is not it. YOU will be DISAPPOINTED!

Dear Ola S,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to express your feedback on Trip Advisor. Please receive our sincere apologies for the inconveniences presented, we ensure you we take your comments with importance to make sure this issues are resolved. We hope to have the honor to prove ourselves in the future.

Best regards

Josep Castellnou

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!