“Great trip!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #43 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I recently visited and had a great time! We had never done the resort thing before but thought it was time to experience it and are glad we chose this place. Every staff member was very friendly and helpful. Like others have said tipping is not expected but appreciated. We like to tip well for good service and we tipped a lot because the staff is great! We know very little Spanish but never once had a language barrier as most of the staff spoke English. The beach was nice with lots of trees and umbrellas which is good for pale people that tend to get burnt like us. The only thing we didn't enjoy were the people that approach you on the beach for excursions off the resort. They were friendly and wouldn't continue their spiel after a simple "no thank you" but it was kind of annoying as we just came to relax. House keeping was respectful of the do not disturb signs and if we left it off and went to the beach it was cleaned every time we were gone within 2 hours. For any US travelers wondering, there were plenty of 3 prong standard outlets for your laptop chargers. The WiFi seemed to work pretty well when it would connect but could be spotty at times. The restaurants were fantastic. We ate at Thalassa almost every morning for breakfast and this is where I found and fell in love with mangu. Thalassa and Cata Tapa were by far the best places we had dinner. The buffets on the resort were standard buffet food, not the best but decent enough. Overall for the price we paid through Southwest this was a fantastic trip. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to travel to Punta Cana.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Mr. Tony C,

Thank you for posting your review about Catalonia Royal Bavaro at TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to note that you had enjoyed your stay with us and was pleased with the service at the property and the service porvided by all our associates. All your comments with regards to our rooms, amenities received, bars, food in our restaurants are highly appreciated.

Once again, thank you very much for recommending our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you in the near future

Best Regards

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent ten days here last March. I really struggled with booking at this hotel. The reviews are so mixed, but it was one of only a few places that had 10 days available over Easter. The room we were given when we arrived was one of the worst hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It smelled awful, very musty. The bathroom was really terrible - there was so much moisture that above the toilet the ceiling was disintigrating. There was black mould on the white canopy above the bed. We were given a de-humidifier and told if the problem was still around the next day they would move us. Needless to say we were moved. The new room faced the courtyard and got more sun, so it was much better. Still some mustiness but it did not seem like there was dangerous mould everywhere.
As I was really unhappy my boyfriend suggested we get a room upgrade to one of the rooms with a pool. We waited another day for the upgraded room. There was mustiness there as well, but again it wasn't too bad. I think one of the main reasons is that the showers were not designed well - the floor is not sloped toward the drain so the bathrooms overflow and then don't dry properly.
Having our own pool was a really nice treat. Upgrading at the hotel was also cheaper than it would have been when we originally booked the trip. Once the sun went down on the beach we still had another hour of sun on our deck.
The staff at the hotel were very interesting. Some were very friendly, especially Carlos Aguilera who was always very sweet and helpful. Others were quite standoffish. I don't need to be fawned over, but I do appreciate smiles and eye contact.
The food was fairly good. We ate lobster a lot, though I would not recommend paying for the lobster at Thalassa. The lobster at the beach grill was just as good at no extra charge! We had room service breakfast a few times and that was really nice. We only ate at the larger hotel next door once as there were way too many children around, though the food was quite good.
I am not sure I would recommend this hotel. Overall, I did have a nice holiday, but there were a lot of things that were frustrating as well.
Also note, the beach here is more of a lagoon, and not the open ocean. It was nice but not the blue water normally associated with punta cana.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard is a must, the ones on the inside facing the other buildings do not get enough...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. / Mr. katyakatyak,

Thank you for the review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry to read about your experience during your stay with us . We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

As a management team, we would like to ensure you that we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

We look forward to seeing you again when you return for your next stay.

Sincerly,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Ok, me and my better half went to CRB from October 25th to November 1st over all it was a great vacation my negative points are, no sea food or Langousta all week the only way to have some is to pay for it, for a 5 star the lobby is really plain looking at night on the outside part of the lobby bar there was no music and last they should at least have a buffet for breakfast, positive points are, on the CRB side the restaurants are great, service is great, cleaning room staff are great, on the CB side the Steak House was great and the Italian also. I highly recommend this Hotel :D

J.P.Salort

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Jean-Paul S,

Thank you for your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, and for taking your time to share your valuable review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know you had a great holiday with us. In regards of your important feedback we kindly clarify our restaurants count with a variety of offerings. We are glad that overall you found our restaurants services of your expectations. Please know we take important note of your comments and suggestions, thank you for recommending us, we will be waiting for your next visit.

Best regards.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Catalonia and had a wonderful time. I was looking for a nice beach, somewhere peaceful, and a clean resort...all three of my desires were met. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay that the Catalonia Royal again.

Dear guest,

First of all we appreciate your excellent comment on Trip Advisor,

We know we provided the service you deserve by reading your amazing comment, what a delight to know that you had a wonderful time at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, is our goal to exceed your expectations.

Thank you again, it was our pleasure.

Receive warm regards from our staff.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I got back my 12 day stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro on the 11th of October and looking back it was an enjoyable holiday.

The resort has a nice beach, plenty of bars etc and extremely friendly staff. Overall I was happy with my stay but I've only given 4 of out 5 because of a few things.

On arrival to the resort we made our way to the room and found that the rose petals around the bathroom and bath in the main room were dead and there was insects crawling all around them. The room must have been vacant for a few days and must not have been checked before we arrived.
During our 12 day stay the bed-sheets were only changed once and there was some cuts and tears which is not very 5 star like.
The cleaners also seems to wash the floors without sweeping them first because if we walked around the room in our bare feet there was dirt on our feet which was annoying where we had to wipe our feet with a towel before getting into bed. Towels were changed every day.

Apart from that everything about the resort was 5 star. We found the tapas, Italian and beach restaurants the best. The rodeo steak house was good too but we found the food heavy when the weather is so hot. Japanese restaurant is just ok and its not really a japanese restaurant, they just make a stir fry in front of you which is more chinese and the sushi they serve before hand is very stale, dry and has a tiny piece of wasabi served with it.
The food in Thalasa is just ok too.

I would recommend paying the extra money to stay in this hotel the Catalonia Royal Bavaro as opposed to the Catalonia Bavaro (other side of the resort) because the Royal rooms and Bathrooms are much bigger. We used the complimentary room to wash in on the last day and we were surprised how much smaller the other rooms were compared to ours.
By staying in the Bavaro you get unlimited use of all restaurants in both sides of the resort.

Expect to pay $30 getting from the airport to the resort. Prices are fixed for tourists from a price list the taxi driver will have.
Be sure to wear plenty of insect repellent. I got a virus and got very sick on day 7 of the holiday possibly from a mosquito bite. The doctor onsite in the resort is very friendly and looked after me, I had a visit to the local private hospital and unfortunately the last 5 days of my holiday was ruined. Its is a tropical location so I cant blame the hotel for getting sick and it was nothing to do with the food. During my illness I sweated allot as my fever broke and it was annoying sleeping in a very dirty bed for 4 days. I guess if I complained to reception they would have changed the sheets.

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our son booked this hotel, for my husband's 60th birthday. Since then, we have returned every year. This hotel has a nice well kept beach, rooms are clean, and the best golf course. We enjoyed golfing every day, while we stayed. Service was great. Restaurant staff are fast, and kind. Since we're there every year, it's good to see the familiar faces. It feels so good to be going back there. We are booked for Nov 6th. I can't wait to get there.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Moongchilee,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana.

We are content to confirm you had a pleasant holiday experience. We appreciate your trust in our services; it will be a pleasure to wellcome you back for your fifth visit!

Your comments will be shared with our staff; they are always pleased to go above and beyond to create unforgettable memories! We will be waiting your next visit to your second home!

Receive warm regards from the Catalonia Royal Bavaro Team!

General Manager.
pittsburgh, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my 7th trip to the Catalonia Royal and already planning and getting people together for my 8th. Everytime we go with new people they are already asking me when is the next trip, thats how wonderful this place can be. I hadn't been there in for at least 18 months and when I walked in everyone greeted me with a smile and a hug and said they missed me.

I was having knee problems and trouble walking so I would call for a golf cart to take me to and from dinner or beach. I had mentioned to my driver about my knees and he took the time to help me up the stairs of my building. I thought this was extremely nice and thoughtful.

When we would walk over to the regular side and eat at the buffet for lunch wheather it was the beach or main buffet, they would seat us in the privledged section which I thought was very nice.

I miss my Blackened spaghetti at the Thalassa resturant and my daughter missed her beef medalions with carmelized onions, but all meals were still very good.

some things that could be fixed:
my husband and I sleep in seperate beds so it would be nice to have a room available with 2 queens instead of a king, but for the week we make due.
my husband also didn't like that sometimes they inforce the dress code for men and other times they don't. We found out it depends on the season and how hot it is,. My husband is old fashioned and feels men can wear long pants in nicer resturants for the few hours. Although in the past he complained about having to wear the long pants so typical man he can't make up his mind, but I put it in the review anyway.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!