“4th time to punta cana, this resort exceeded all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #41 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Worcester
“4th time to punta cana, this resort exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Punta Cana and the first time to this resort. All we could say was this resort exceeded all our expectations.
Let me start by saying, every other time we have come to Punta Cana, we have upgraded to the VIP or Preferred club side of the resort, but this time due to budget restraints we booked the basic superior room, no upgrades at all. And were we presently surprised that we didn’t have to. The rooms were nicely decorated and were amble size for us. Every room has 24 hour room service that gets your order to your room within 30 minutes, and the food is good!
As for the food, we never expect food to be like we are eating in the USA but at this resort the food was outstanding, and the selections of all the different places to eat, you will find it difficult to eat at every restaurant if only staying for 7 days. The selection is that good because you have both resorts to choose from.
The beach is fantastic; the water warm is inviting and kept clean all day by the staff. Think of a warm bath and you get the idea.
If you ever thought about diving, like I have, then do see the dive shop. They have a very nice beginner’s class that you can take. You start with a free pool dive to see if you like breathing under water, then if you want more than you watch a 20 min video, take a short test, go back to the pool and are taught the proper techniques in the pool before you get to dive in the open water. All I can say is what fun it is to finally scuba dive. Thanks Orlando my dive master for teaching me, had a blast.
So to all of you thinking about this resort, stop and book, you won’t be disappointed!

Room Tip: Stayed in Villa 40 right across from putting green. Very quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Don-Carol,

First of all thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your fourth visit to the Dominican Republic. We are thrilled to read our resort exceeded your expectations with our room accommodations and Royal services.

Thank you for your kind remarks of our restaurants services; we are content that your holidays were pleasant with great fun memories!

We will be waiting for your next visit!

Warm regards.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Polish first
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just returned from our second stay and we love it! We (we traveled with another couple) returned because we knew it has the things we are looking for which are things like a quiet/not crowded feel, nice beach and pools, good service, good food. It has plenty of those things and more. We love the helpful and friendly staff that seem happy to get you what you like. We remembered Roberto and Aldelso at the beach bar as favorites from last trip two years ago, so we were thrilled to see them again! Luis and Nilza as well as Bebita (? pool bar) were also very helpful this time. The beach area is an amazing area with a bar, restaurant, pool, and juice bar. We usually stick around there. It is peaceful and not busy feeling. You do need to reserve a chair early though! We are always pleased with how we never seem to have a wait to eat at any restaurant here or on the main side. The best dish around is the ribs at the Tapas place, amazing! We also love the Japanese place as it is a fun time. The mexican place is pretty good and we usually liked Thalasa's food too. We didn't love the steak place, but okay. They cooked great paella on the beach one day in a giant skillet. The buffets on the other side have more to choose from. The irish coffee at the piano bar was wonderful, especially on our rainy day and you can ask for top shelf stuff. The juice bar at the end of the beach is a MUST! Great fresh juice mixtures blended for you. Bringing a 'damp rid' to hang in the room helped a ton with the musty smell. Our room was very nice and clean with a nice big tub and recommend a top floor with balcony. Last time we enjoyed a massage on the beach, which is great. They didn't clean it until almost 4 most days, which was fine. The beach does have seaweed but we don't mind it too much. They work to rake it up. It is also fun to snorkel around and eaisily see the fish, eal and starfish or take out the kayak. The people there seem busy working but in a relaxed way that we enjoy. It helps to know a little spanish!! We love the place and hope to be back for a third time someday!

Room Tip: Buildings 36 or 38 closer to beach and newer, top floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glace Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just returned from one week stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro DR. I stayed on Bavaro Beach before at a different resort and this one in my opinion does not compare to the overall quality of our stay at another resort. We arrived late in the night in lots of rain and wind which lasted for three days. The Royal has 24 hr room service so we ordered a meal the night we arrived, the meal was as cold as if it was taken out of the refrigerator and the meal was not good at all. We had to wait until our bags were taken to our room which took some time that added unnecessary worry upon our arrival. The first night I got a nasty bug bite and my partner had five bites over the span of the week. There were house flies noted to be inside as well as outside on the food. The food at the reort (minus room service menu) was very good. We ate at the Italian and Mediterranean restaurants both had great food (I loved that you did not have to book them and you did not have to wait in a line up except for the Italian- very popular one, we didn't wait long, lasagna was excellent)
. The beach had a fair bit of seaweed on it but was kept well maitained by the staff ( seaweed in the water as well)..snorkeling was popular and there were employees to bring you drinks on the beach(beach bar was close as well)......you couldn't walk far on the beach as there isn't another resort for a long distance .. (we walked 50 minutes along the beach and the only resort we could see was BeLive)......there is a lot of seaweed and garbage on the beach once you leave the resort (dogs running around the beachfront much further down the beach away from the resort- they didn't bother you and seemed friendly). As per usual for resorts you had to pick your spot on the beach by 8 -8:30AM or you were left not being able to get a spot with shade down close to the water, having said that i was content with a spot between the pool and the beach (convenient). What made the resort was the staff, they are A+!! They always had a friendly smile and greeting.The room was nice, a large tub (not a jacuzzi)in the main room, a king size bed (comfortable) and a sitting area and a balcony. The shower needed adjustment, the resort seems older. There was a lot of noise outside the room in the early AM (no sleeping in- we were on the ground floor )We took in a few nights of entertainment which started a 9:30 PM...shows were very well done. We decided against excursions...rained 3/7 days! The pools were beautiful and very clean, water beautiful temperature.....The grounds were very well kept.
Please review the location of this resort before booking! If you are ok with not going for long walks on a beautiful white sandy beach then you will be ok with the length of beach offered by this propery. There is a market a short distance from the resort where you can purchase souveniers etc...the employees are friendly and not overly pushy to purchase as I have seen at other resorts.

Dear Arlene M,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your recent holidays. We appreciate your time invested in sharing your comment.

We are disappointed to read we did not exceed your expectations, please receive our apologies for the inconveniences upon arrival. We are disappointed for the setbacks presented with the food services your feedback will be revised with our F&B department.

We are content that overall you found the services very good specially the Italian and Mediterranean restaurant.

Thank you for appreciating our beach cleaning staff work, they strive to maintain the area in the best condition for your enjoyment.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback. It is our most important tool for improving our services. We hope to have the honor of exceeding your expectations in the future.

Kind regards.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have never written a review before but relied so heavily on reviews
here to make our choice we felt we should post a review. We have been
to Dominican 3 times and Cuba once and are usually happy with our vacations.
We were very happy here!

FOOD: Food was excellent. The no reservation system is very nice, you
don't have to make advance plans for eating. We liked Cata Tapas the
best. I had ribs and veal and both were very very good. We ate at
Thalassa twice. Thalassa is nice because you have the option of
eating inside or outside and on the outside you have smoking and non
smoking options. The first night I had a steak that was as good as
anything you would get in a steak house in Canada and it was cooked to
perfect medium rare as I asked. My wife had the same steak on our
next visit there and it wasn't as good (The meat was mostly grizzle)
but it was still tasty and cooked exactly as asked. We loved the
grilled lobster and appetizers at Sea Blue. The cappuccinos and
coffee were excellent everywhere. We had breakfast most times at the
restaurant and one morning ordered it as room service. Room service
came quickly and the breakfast was great but could have been a bit hotter. Still it
was excellent quality. I had a full english breakfast with juice and
coffee and I have never had such a full breakfast from room service in
an all inclusive.

SERVICE: For the most part service was really good at all areas of
the resort. There were times when the service could have been better.
One night at Thalassa I was asked 3 times if I wanted more wine over
the time it took me to eat my appetizer and most of my main course and
I never got any wine. The waiter would leave and 5 minutes later
someone else would come and ask if I wanted more wine only to
disappear again. My wife also had one or two occasions where it took
forever to get some wine with her meal. It didn't ruin our trip, but
this could have been a little better.

The room cleaning was perfect and always done very promptly. I notice
some reviews complain about room towels. I know that the maid comes
to clean your room and takes the dirty towels. At some point later
someone else comes to bring clean towels. I know this because I went back
to the room from the beach one morning and the room was cleaned but no
towels, when we returned lunch time the towels were there.

Bar service and the waiters at the beach and bars were usually quite
quick. The fruit smoothies at the beach are a nice touch. We had one
every morning.

We always gave some sort of tip but never felt that staff were
expecting it. If the service was really good we tipped more and these
people deserve it. The staff made an excellent vacation for us.

My biggest disappointment in the service was the check in. We arrived
early at 11:30 am after a short 20 minute ride from the airport. We
lined up to check in behind several people and listened to the front
desk staff explain the hotel, restaurants, etc to each guest. When it
was finally our turn (15 mins) we were told our room was not yet ready
(i know, that's fine we ARE early) and to come back at 2pm. So we
went to the beach. Knowing Dominican time I didn't go back to check
exactly at 2, but waited until 2:30. When we went at 2:30 we had to
line up again only to get a different front desk staff member who
looked all over for my reservation, found it and then told me "Check
in time is at 3". No matter what I said I got the answer "Check in
time is at 3". So we waited around the lobby until 3, lined up for
the third time and the same staff just passed me the key packet that
they found on my second check in attempt. This was a much more
painful check in than it needed to be and is much more efficient at
other resorts we have been to early or not. I kind of got the feeling
that the staff I dealt with on the second occasion was just trying to
be difficult---what difference does 30 minutes make?

POOLS: We didn't stay around the main pool but it looked nice. It is
a bit more loud here than the other parts of the resort, but still not
very loud. The infinity pool is very nice and we spent one day there
on the comfortable poolside beds.

BEACH: This is my favorite beach of any resort I have stayed in. The
water is so calm (even on windy days) and is not extremely deep, but
you can still swim. The water is so clear and if you go here buy a
cheap snorkeling mask and go out to the cement pipe near the second
buoy to see plenty of fish. It was really nice. Nice sand, no rocks,
lots of shade and full sun as you want. There is a hard time getting
a palapya and people play the towel game quite well here. There is
little the hotel can do about that though, but it is hard to watch a
perfect spot on the beach to go unused from 6 am until 2pm.

Yes there is "seaweed" but it is cleaned several times a day and was
not an issue for us. It is not really seaweed and is more like grass.

ROOM: We had the lowest category room in Villa 46. The room suited
us just fine. Comfortable bed, really nice sheets and very clean.
Nice modern looking room. The whole resort is super clean which is
great. The only room issue we had was that we didn't have robes or
slippers and a quick call to the front desk fixed that very quickly.
Everything else in the room worked very well including the air
conditioning. I only once managed to get an internet connection from
the room and then it was extremely slow. Also had difficulty with the
internet in the main lobby. I ended up just using the computers in
the business centre to send emails home. That is all I want the
internet for anyways.

SPA: Never used the spa so we can't comment on it.

OVERALL: Even though we have never returned to the same resort twice,
we would definitely return here. If you are a party person this is
not a place for you. The resort is super quiet and you can
have a nice little snooze right on the beach or read or just stare at
the palm trees. If you want some more excitement you can go over to
the Bavaro for a bit. There are a few shops there and the nightly
entertainment (about 5 mins walk from villa 46). All of the staff
were really great. I believe that the resort was nearly full when we
were there, but it never felt crowded and we never had to wait for a
table at a restaurant. My only regret is that I can't remember all of
the staff's names to mention them here so that they get the recognition
from their management that they deserve.

Despite my nitpicks above we had a very relaxing vacation and loved
our time here in this peaceful resort. If you want a quiet place
that is clean, has a great beach and has great food just book it now!

Room Tip: Villa 46 is closest to main lobby while 36 is closest to the beach. It doesn't take much more t...
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We returned to this amazing resort March 29th and enjoyed every minute we were there. Since our previous trip, there have been a few minor changes, which only improve this resort (if that's possible). We enjoyed the new menu items not only in the restaurants but also in the room service menu. We had amazing service again and can't thank the staff enough for taking care of us. The room was spotless, the drinks and food service was perfect and the grounds/beach were again immaculately kept.

We met some great couples from all over the world and they shortly understood why this is the only resort we visit in Punta Cana. We've traveled to numerous other islands in the carribean, and have found no other resorts that compare in the area. In fact, we are waiting to book another return trip in January(waiting for rooms to become available). Thanks again to everyone at this resort and we'll see you again shortly.

Dear Mr./ Mrs. NU83,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, we are delighted to receive your comment of your recent holidays with us! We are content to confirm your stay was successful.

It’s a pleasure to know our new improvements exceeded your expectations and that you received a one of a kind service from our kind staff.

Once again thank you, we look forward to your third visit!

Warmest regards.

Ysabel Sosa
Managment Assistant
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Catalonia Royal Bavaro exceeded all expectations - from the room to the wide variety of dining options available (as a guest at the Royal Bavaro, one can also use the sister resort's restaurants and the options are a many) to the gorgeous beach, turquoise waters and the 2 pools. Being an adults-only all-inclusive, one gets the privacy and intimacy that one craves in a setting like this and we got that at the Royal Bavaro. We have also been guests at the Catalonia Royal Tulum in Mexico last year and I must say that both these two properties are fantastic, from their service quality to their food to their gorgeous settings. Only two things to improve: the Mexican restaurant at the sister resort needs upgradation in terms of their menu and food quality and secondly, while the Cata Tapas restaurant at the Royal Bavaro was fantastic, they do not take reservations and the lines can be long (guess that says a lot about the amazing quality and variety of food they serve in the restaurant). A must visit in one's bucket list!

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Upala,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor. It’s a pleasure to read Catalonia Royal Bavaro exceeded your expectations.

We are content to read our room accommodations and dining options especially our Cata Tapa restaurant were of your enjoyment.

Thank you for your feedback of the Mexican restaurant, we will make sure to share your suggestion to the F&B department at our sister resort.

We are very glad our relaxed and private ambiance concluded overall with a wonderful holiday,
we hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards.

Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

It took 45 minutes to get off the plane, through customs, personal shuttle with turinter tours, drink in the lobby bar, check in at the front desk and in our room in villa 36 (closest to the beach). The front desk guy with glasses helped us and was very friendly. I saw some other members give dirty glares especially to one lady complaining about her room not ready early. She only had to wait 20 minutes till 3pm. 2 main restaurants we went to were the sea blue and cata tapas both on royal side. Sea blue was outdoors and had great lobster. Surf and turf one night and then just got the double lobster the next time. Tapas was great for dinner. Small plates and excellent ribs and other entrees. House wine at the resort was good and we drank a lot of it. Food upset our stomachs one night. Breakfast needs work on both sides. they have the ingredients just not making it happen. The beach was fabulous. No problem getting a good spot. A cabana by the infinity pool was impossible but who goes to the Caribbean to sit by a pool. Drinks are strong and the service amazing. The staff not worrying about a tip made me want to tip. Juice bar was fabulous. I wish we went there sooner. Now the bed. Rivals some of the worst motel beds I've ever slept on. I sleep on my side and I would wake up in the middle of the night every night with a sore shoulder and not from sunburn. Real pain. My girlfriend felt the same. The majority of guests are canadian. We won't be returning because we like going to new countries and the bed we had was just unbearable. Beautiful resort, excellent staff and we had great weather. Bargain with the shops to get a good price on artwork.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs Doug S,

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on Trip Advisor! We are content to know you were greeted at Catalonia Royal Bavaro with our friendly service.

We are glad that you enjoyed the variety and service of our restaurants Cata Tapa and Sea Blue.

We appreciate your feedback in regards of the breakfast services, we take important note for improvements; please receive our apologies for the inconvenience. We are sorry to read the inconvenience with the bed, please know we are currently working on improving the mattress accommodations.

It’s a pleasure to know overall you received an excellent service from our staff; we look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards.

Josep Castellnou

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!