“The Best First Vacation in Punta Cana” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #46 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“The Best First Vacation in Punta Cana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hello all,
I just came back from a one week vacation at Catalonia Royal Bavaro Resort (adults only). This is the first time I write a review and Im doing this only because I know how important it is for some people to read the feedback and this is mostly the main reason that makes them choose the resort. My boyfriend must have read at least 100 reviews before he decided to go with this option.
This was my first time in Dominican Republic and I had such an amazing experience.
The food was excellent. Same thing about the drinks. The grilled lobster we had at the Blue Sea restaurant was the best seafood I've ever had :-). (If there is one type of food I would not recommend that would be the sushi. We are crazy about sushi and the way they make it in the resort does not taste like sushi :-D ).
If there was one thing I loved about this hotel it was the fact that the stuff, especially the bartenders, waiters and waitresses were so happy and excited every time they would serve you, take your order or just meet you in the resort. It felt like everyone worked with such a big pleasure. Most of the times in a 5 stars hotel the stuff is very cold and they are only doing their job.
The room was very nice. I should mention here that during our stay it was my birthday and my boyfriend talked to the lady from concierge to decorate our room with balloons and happy birthday messages. That was a nice surprise. :-)
I read a few minutes ago a review where they weren't very happy with the airport. Well, on our way back to Toronto we got stuck in US for 2 days due to weather conditions but that will never stop me from visiting Dominican Republic again :-). I think the airport in Punta Cana is such a nice start for a great vacation and puts you in the perfect mood for an exotic and warm vacation.
I just want to say "Thank You" for providing such a great service and keep up with the good work :-)!

Best regards,
Me :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Polish first
Ste-Adele
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am sure that if your read this review it will be more than helpful. First let me say that we stayed at this resort from January 26 to February 9.
The Royal side is a fairly small resort that for us had many advantages. The fact of having no children was a nice break especially during the evening suppers. It is not long before the staff recognize you and even your name if you take a few minutes to talk to them. I am a French Canadian and even tough the staff speak very little French mostly all of them do speak some English. At no time was being understood and issue.
The staff are great, friendly and eager to satisfy your needs.
The food is very good. No buffet except in the morning at the thalassa were you order your eggs or omelet at your table. Nice variety of choices even egg whites omelet, that's a first for the Caribbean. Lunch and dinner is also good to very good at that restaurant.
There is also the sea blue restaurant by the beach with more of a delicatessen style menu ,for lunch and everything there is very good. Even if it is not advertised, they also serve supper there and you can have grilled lobster for no extra charge. They also serve surf and turf that was very good. Eveything is cooked on a outside grill with wood charcoal, and you can see them actually cook your food.
The cata tapa restaurant is a must, go eat there at least 2 or 3 times in your week. And try the pork ribs,they were excellent.
The pool near lobby is louder , than the one near the beach. I found it great not to have animation or animation team. For those who miss it , go on the other side. There are also 5 other restaurants on the family side, that you can go. We tried only one of them, it was good but never tried the others.
The beach is different with lots of palm trees. It is easier finding shade than to be in full sun, I found it great and spent most of my time in full sun at the beach.
If you read about the sea weeds well yes it is true. There is sometimes quite a lot. A full crew works day around picking it up. It did not bother me or my partner at all. Drinks were also great with all the major international brands.
In conclusion even if everything is perfect I usually do not consider going back to the same place. Lots of places to discover, however I will be making an exception and will be going back to the Catalonia Royal Bavaro resort. Hope this is helpful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Pierre V,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

We appreciate you choosing us for your recent holidays in Punta Cana. We are very glad to receive your comment on Trip Advisor and confirm that you had a memorable time.

Thank you for your kind regards of our staff, we are content that you received always the one of a kind service we are known for.

Your comments of our restaurant services proves us we have exceed your expectations, we are content to know you enjoyed our variety especially the Sea Blue Grill and Cata Tapa restaurant.

It’s an honor to be considered for a second visit! Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Ysabel Sosa
Management Assistant
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our 1st time experiencing the all-inclusive couples resort thing so I have a few pros & cons.

Pros:
-Staff was very pleasant, professional and accomodating (They were excellent!!)
-Food was amazing!! (our favorites were Thalassa, Cata Tapa, La Toscana, Mikado & the Aqua bar)
-Nice atmosphere
-Adults only
-Clean rooms, modern decor, bed was very comfortable
-Resort grounds were very well maintained even when it rained, they made sure to have folks cleaning up excess water.
-The shopping plaza was great! Had a few really nice boutiques that you may want to check out but if you're doing souvenir shopping you will find cheaper stuff outside of the resort in town.

Cons:
-Beach was full of seaweed
-Could hear the events happening at the family resort next door
-Not much to do, everthing closes at 11pm, so if you want to go to a casino or night club, you will have to leave the resort to do so. Same goes for most day activities, we had to go to Bavaro Beach to go parasailing
-Bed turndown service is not necessary
-Mini bar beer was Brahma, I think this should've been the signature beer of DR, Presidente

Despite the pros and cons, we had a overall good time. I love DR but not a big fan of Punta Cana (Bavaro), so most likely this will not be a trip we make again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the last building closest to the beach with a view of the fountain
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KayaBarcelona,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor, and for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your first all inclusive holiday experience.

Thank you for your kind feedback, we are delighted to know our staff provided an excellent and kind service for your holidays. As well that your dining experience was fantastic, grounds and facilities. We will share your comments as encouraging words to our staff.

Regarding the seaweed we apologize for the inconvenience, please know we have a beach cleaning staff that strives to maintain the area for the enjoyment of our guests.

Regarding the minibar it’s a pleasure to inform you we are currently acquiring Presidente Beer to stock the minibar.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your next holidays.

Byrdstown, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a group of 6 couples from Kentucky go and we all had a blast all week. My pro's and con's are listed in that order. Pro's. Great friendly staff from housekeeping, waiters, bartenders. The only negative was the "towel" guy at the pool. He had a lazy, bad attitude and just seemed interested in trying to sell you an excursion. But we didn't let his attitude reflect on the rest. Our room was a little musky smelling, and yes the bed was hard but my husband liked it. The room is large and very comfortable. At first I was a little aggravated that there was only 2 beers in the fridge, but our housekeeper took care of us and ended up we didn't even drink them because we never went without throughout the resort so when we did get to our rooms, "we really didn't need anymore".
I would suggest taking you a large cup with a lid to put your drinks in instead of the plastic glasses from the bar. The bartenders do not mind filling them.
We did the deep sea fishing for the entire day and caught mai mai...they filet them for us on the charter and we ask the Sea Blue if they would cook them up for us...OMG...they even brought it out to us on the beach with plates and plastic silverware. The presentation and taste was wonderful. I will be attaching a photo of this also.
Some of the food was not that great, but that was a matter of opinion. We just are not use to eating some of the things that were offered. But there is plenty to pick from and if you can't find something you like, then there is something wrong with you.....
The spa was worth the money. 3 of us had messages and it was great!!
We all have already decided we are coming back in 2015. WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Albany, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

everything meet our exptations,staff very friendly,helpful with a little language barrier ,had a couple of small problems with door lock,taken care of pronto,food is decent,with huge selection,had a great super bowl party for us on arrival!!!! special thanks to camilo of delta services who handled our group,VERY GOOD JOB!!! need a better beer selection,
tim

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear timmc6664,

Thank you for your recent holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, and for posting your comment on Trip Advisor. We are glad to read we achieved our goal of meeting your expectations.

We are sorry to read the inconvenience with the door lock; it was our staff pleasure to promptly assist you in resolving this matter. We appreciate your comments in regards our food service, and will be taken consideration your feedback in the beer variety.

Once again thank you, it’s great to know our Super Bowl activity was very much of your enjoyment!

We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Warmest regards.

halifax,n.s. canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

All the positive comments are right on the money. The main restaurant changes its specials every day on a weekly rotations so you always have a choice over their normal well prepared menu .The wait staff is attentive and will do their best with the few words they have in English,French ,German and Russian.A commendable effort!!A special thanks to Angela at the front desk.We had a minor problem with our initial room which she rectified in only 2 days since the resort was jammed with guests. Her great smile and friendly manner is an asset to all visitors and management.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear brian w,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on Trip Advisor, we are delighted to confirm that your holidays were successful. We are content to read that all areas met your expectations and received always such an attentive service from our staff. Especially Angela at the front desk, which we will make sure, receives your congratulations!

Of course it will be our pleasure to be your choice for your next holidays!

Kind regards.

southwest ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Airport processing great. Transfer service 15 minutes. Check in fast and efficient. Rooms were very nice and roomy, a tad outdated and very poor lighting. We had trouble finding our stuff it was so dim. The room was quiet and clean, however, we did notice inconsistency in times of cleaning, and turn down service was hit and miss. The bed was a bit uncomfortable but we slept well. The grounds were kept very clean. The beach was gorgeous! We love to walk and the beach was nice and hard and you could walk forever. The dudes selling stuff ruin it for themselves..we would have had a look but they were too pushy so we just ignored them. The juice bar on the beach was excellent...could have used a few more smiles from the juicing staff but I don't think I would smile very much if i had to juice all day. My wife and I have stayed at many Catalonia Hotels and I must say the real bummer with the beach is the lack of washroom facilities at the beach. You should never wait in line to go to the washroom at a five star hotel. Lots of loungers, warm clear water, sun and ample shade. One thing we love about the Catalonia Hotels we have been to is that they leave you alone. We don't go a vacation to be bugged constantly and this hotel chain knows how to be pleasant and helpful without getting on your nerves. I agree with others regarding the food. We went to the buffet and steakhouse on the Bavaro side and quickly realized we were choosing to eat 4 star food at a 5 star resort duh!. We spent the rest of our time eating on the Royal side and we did not regret it. The food was very good quality and the restaurants were all very good. Really enjoyed the lobster at the beach grill and the Tapas. We have a pool at home so didn't care about the pools, however, we put our feet in and no wonder nobody was in the pools the water was very cold. In contrast the hot tub was 104 freakin' degrees. What's that? Would have loved to have a hot tub before going in after the day at the beach but we would have looked like one of the lobsters at the grill. Still love Catalonia resorts and all in all had a fabulous time just some fine tuning. Maybe I should have waited a few days to review because our flight was delayed 1.5 hours and the Punta Cana airport was like visiting the dentist. This airport is just brutal when leaving..totally unorganized and packed with people trying to get home. I almost thought about getting a kayak and paddling home. This experience makes me a bit grumpy. Just talked to my brother-in-law and he said they would never go back to the D.R. because of the airport. I don't know about us but will have to consider it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor facing away from the pool...very quiet and centrally located.
Dear medikk,

Thank you for your valuable time in posting your review on TripAdvisor. We hope you had pleasant return back home from your holidays!

We appreciate your feedback in regards of the room accommodations, we will revise the cleaning schedules and turn down service with the housekeeping department, regarding the mattress we are sorry for the inconvenience, please know we are currently acquiring new mattresses to refurnish the rooms.

Thank you for your feedback of the beach bathrooms, we are sorry for the inconvenience and will take note for future improvements.

Your compliments of our pleasant and helpful service standard is much appreciated, we will share your encouraging comment with our staff.

Once thank you for you your kind feedback, we are glad to know overall you had a fabulous time. It would be an honor to welcome you back for your next holidays in Punta Cana.