“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #43 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary over the New Year's holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro and were thoroughly pleased. After a 7-night stay, we were never bored or longing for "home".

The ENTIRE staff was attentive, extremely polite, and the most pleasant to encounter. Whether serving you directly or indirectly, we were always greeted warmly.

The food was absolutely delicious. We actually ate at the Italian restaurant twice. The lasagna and risotto were divine and we personally thanked the chef for such a delightful meal. I have visited several all-inclusives and after day 2, was so disappointed with the menu choices, I was resigned to eating french fries on a daily basis. Not at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. There are several choices and the neighboring resorts provide an even greater opportunity for variety.

We greatly appreciated the Adult-only vibe. If we desired a more lively bunch, we'd simply visit the neighboring resort. But Catalonia provided a serene, adult-only atmosphere that encouraged the ultimate relaxation. ... just what the dr. ordered. :-)

I appreciated the party for New Year's -- it provided us with great 10th anniversary photos/memories.

According to my husband; however, the ONLY thumbs-down was the fact that it was very difficult to get small change for tipping. As a result, he felt he was being "gamed" to leave larger-than-normal tips. We have no problem tipping, but reserve larger tips for exceptional service. (Remedy for next visit... just bring more small bills. So no problem. :-))

We are looking forward to our return visit.

Muchas gracias, Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

--shm

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear msb1231,

First of all thank you for posting your comment on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you choosing us for your special anniversary and Christmas holidays, we are content to read you had an awesome vacation experience with us. It was our staff pleasure to provide the most attentive service. We look forward to be your choice once again in the future!

Kind regards

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in early December of 2012. We had a great time. We requested a room near the beach and the beach is where we spent most of our time. The beach is full of palm trees and has plenty of chairs (even though you may have to search for a bit) and the staff is very attentive. One thing I will warn of is the people that go out early and put their towels on the chairs to reserve them. The most frustrating thing is that you'll notice the reserved chairs stay empty most of the day. The snorkeling is a lot of fun. We brought our own snorkeling equipment with us that we bought on Amazon right before we left. The beach's minimal waves, and man-made reef were perfect for snorkeling. We saw all kinds of fish and they would come up close - especially if you'd bring bread out with you. We ventured off the resort on a few different excursions and we are so glad we chose the CRB because the beach is phenomenal compared to the other resorts' beaches. The seaweed was not bad and the staff works really hard to clean it up from sunset to sundown. I have a lot of respect for those guys and they deserve to be thanked daily.

Our room was not what we were expecting, it was better than expected. Since we read so many reviews about the mold smell and some of the other issues I was really worried. My girlfriend is really allergic to mold so I thought we'd surely have to move a few times. There was a bit of a smell in the rooms but it wasn't unbearable. The cleaning staff does a great job of cleaning. One thing we learned and have never seen before is the key-card that goes into the wall switch - don't take it out or it will cut the power to the whole room. All you have to do is put it right back in but it resets all the clocks.

I thought the food was alright. It wasn't bad. My girlfriend doesn't eat meat but she does eat seafood. She was disappointed that there weren't better options for seafood since we were in the Caribbean Her favorite was the California roll from the SeaBlue restaurant by the beach. We found that to be the best option for both of us. Thalassa for breakfast was good. Neither one of us were impressed with the Gran Bahia on the other side of the resort. We both liked the buffet by the beach.

This is a great place for couples and for people looking to relax and reset. The infinity pool and surrounding area are beautiful. The outdoor beds are super relaxing!

The staff are very accommodating and friendly. Be aware of the vendors selling items. It can be very frustrating and difficult to walk away from them. They will put jewelry on you before you know it and you're stuck.

Overall we recommend the CRB and will likely return someday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the beach - Building 18
High River, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to this resort three times now and mostly have had an excellent experience.

The resort itself is very clean and esthetic looking. It is also small enough to make it very personable and interactive with the (mostly) excellent staff with very few exceptions. This hotel should be a nice comfortable 5 star, but, and a big “But” is the food. Wherever I have been or gone to in this world, my only maxim on food has been “Hot Food Hot & Cold Food Cold”. CRB really struggles in this category.

I’m only going to comment on the CRB side.

Breakfast at Thalassa: Is very good and is possibly the best meal of the day. The choices are more than reasonable and should just about suit anyone’s taste buds. No complaints here. Food was always served hot or (to create another category!) “Very Warm” and acceptable.

Lunch at Thalassa: The menu is changed daily and good choices are available. The only lunch I had here this time was excellent.

Lunch at Seablue: The menu here is very good and with some good fortune, if it arrives fully cooked and even hot (Hamburgers, Fries etc) then you have indeed been very fortunate. Staff are exceptionally erratic in their duties at this restaurant and don’t seem to have any particular station or area of tables to focus on, so, sometimes it can be a long wait to get your orders taken! As much as we wanted to, we mostly bypassed this place except for a quick snack or drink.

Dinner at Thalassa: Only one menu here for the whole of 2 weeks if you are staying that long. They are however, giving an option of 2 nightly specials to make a bit more choice available. This restaurant is either your worst nightmare or an excellent experience. The same menu item never arrives cooked the same twice. The food can come up Raw, Cold, Nearly Tepid and even Hot at times. Veggies, Meat, Rice/Potatoes are all served on the same plate in these different temps. The sad thing is that nothing has changed over the last three years my wife & I have been to this resort. Management has paid “Lip-Service” to this complaint and it seems that any control over the chefs is sadly not there. Staffing is very erratic and again they are not assigned any particular area to work within. If they are, then it gets even more confusing!

Dinner at Cata Tapa: Very different and very good. Only went once and it was nice and hot when it should have been.

Whilst we were there in December, we spoke with many guests and the vast majority had the same issues as we did but would never complain and just would not return to this resort. I firmly believe that if more guests did what they did in their own countries, send an unacceptable meal back and complain, this issue would be resolved very quickly. Just because it’s an “all inclusive” does not mean second best.

In a worse case scenario, there are many other restaurants you can visit should the one you’re attending come up short. You are not limited to one meal, one restaurant, go find something elsewhere.

Many guests at this resort have written about "How can anyone complain about the food?" "Are they reviewing the same hotel?" Well, the answer is that the food was not upto their personal standards. It's subjective. Like I stated earlier on, I like my food to be served hot. It seems like a minor thing and it is so easily controllable. The CRB really looks after its staff members so I would not envisage any Chef changes occuring anytime soon unfortunately!

Anyway, to sum this resort up, will I return, yes, in a heartbeat. Staff are fantastic, Management are great (except for control over the Chefs!) Beautiful layout and maturing well over time, nice large rooms, lots of loungers on the beach, no waves on shoreline and little difference in tide heights. Quiet, peaceful and a great relaxing time. (Plus no kids!)

If you’re into “Partying” this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear gpreen,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment and for choosing us once again for your holidays. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the discontent presented; we take good note of your suggestions to make sure to improve in this issue.

We are delighted to read have considered us for your next holidays, we look forward to exceed your expectations.

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro from Dec 6 - 13th. We simply did not want to leave. Everything about it was wonderful. I really do not know how people can say that the service, food or the lack of English was a problem. We have never encountered more friendly or helpful staff, the food was amazing and we never had a communication problem. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard every day, we were always well stocked, there was no odor of any type about the room and the bed was very comfortable. We were on the main floor and faced the back of the building which we preferred as it was more private looking over the gardens and we enjoyed sitting out in the morning and having our coffee.

The beach was beautiful and that is where we spent our time. It was well shaded, which we like, although you had no problem finding sun.

What I really loved about this resort was its size - just perfect. It was big enough that you had variety, but small enough that you soon knew and recognized most of the staff and they knew you.

We would definitely go back here. We were looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we got.

C Schofield
Milton ON

Dear Christine S,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are content to read you had a wonderful holiday and found in our resort the accommodations and services you were looking for! It was our pleasure to create unforgettable memories; we look forward to a second visit!

Kind regards

oshawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Sadly, I need to say this will be the last time we go to this resort. We paid $6,000.00 for a week at this resort.

We have been 3 times in the last two years, and referred 5 couples that have travelled to this resort. While we had a wonderful vacation from Dec 26 - Jan 2, the resort itself was a huge disappointment this time. The resort is TIRED! it has slipped from a 5 star to a 2 and a half. I have attached pictures to demonstrate what I mean, we have stayed in the same room 4025 for two of our three trips, and for the other, the room next door. There has definitely been a decline in maintenance of the resort, the rooms and everything in them. On previous trips, our maid service was awesome, this time.....bare minimum regardless of whether a tip was left or not.

We have always taken US cash with us to this resort for tips and incidental spending. This time, you could not pay with cash for anything and NO ONE had change. (excuse - the bank was closed on Christmas Day and New Years Day? - hello, it happens every year hmmmm usually about the same date???)

They don't seem to get that guests need smaller bills to tip THEIR STAFF! If they think that we are going to start throwing 20's and 50's around as tips - dream on

Overall with the exception of the wonderful restaurant staff, Reuben, Cecilia etc. No one seems to give a damn at this resort anymore. - Guess what someone else at a real 5 star will!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear AllieKatOshawa,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor, and for choosing again us for your last holidays.

Please receive our sincere apologies for the inconvenience presented during your stay; we take good note of your valuable feedback in regards of the service to make sure we correct these incidents.

We are glad overall you received a kind service from Ruben, Cecilia and other; they will be congratulated on your behalf.

We hope to change your mind and have the opportunity to prove ourselves with the excellent service we know.

Best regards.

Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been twice in 2012, January and december. Was simply a dreamfuly vacation.
Resort is like a paradise and people of the hotel seem a family.
Jorge Salas is in my opinion the best waiter, but also Franklin and my friend Carlos Mercedes at reception.
All things are perfect. Rooms clean and food very nyce, expecially grilled langosta served close to the beach.

I hope to come back there soon to live another dream.

Bye bye my friend in Catalonia Royal Bavaro !!

Carmelo from Italy

Room Tip: I suggest to upgrade your room in Deluxe Suite no more expensive respect Standard
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Carmelo G,

Thank you for choosing us once again for your holidays! And for sharing your kind comment on TripAdvisor. we will make sure to congratulate Jorge Salas, Franklin, Carlos Mercedes for the excellent service. we will be waiting for your next stay!

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Ysabel Sosa
Management Assistant
Bacup, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all the hotel is very pretty I cannot fault the pools or the beach Unfortunately although our maid was wonderful the room was very musty, the bedding was damp, our clothes were damp and also had a musty odour and I have had to wash everything on our return. The remote for the tv didnt work and the tv itself didnt work for 3 days we advised reception but nothing gets done.

The food and drink are both restricted with waiter service for drinks in all the restaurants in the Royal therefore the wine was very slow being served I would have preferred to help myself as is usual in 4 and 5 star all inclusives.

The restaurants close at 10pm so the only bar left serving is the piano bar which closes at 12am with only 30 seats outside We couldnt even get a warm drink after 12am as there are no self service drink dispensers at the Royal. The disco is open on the dark side but this was smoke filled full of teens and poor quality drinks so give that a miss.Also I paid extra to go to the Royal so dont expect to have to go to the other hotel for drinks or buffet food which by the way was awful.

The breakfat was good as this was buffet the lunch was nice at the infinity pool bar but very small portions. I had the lobster on one occassion it was black and very dry served with chips no veg or salad as they has run out of potatoes I also had a raw lobster my partner never ate a full meal as he is a meat eater and the meat was either overcooked and stringy or raw and full of blood.As all meals are waiter service there is no option to choose anything else, We ate in the tapas and we both nearly gagged on a liquid potatoe spanish omelette yuck.

In the 14days I was there I never saw a manager check the food in the restaurants in fact there were no Managers visible the whole time we were there.

To cap it all my partner was refused a Jim Bean and coke at the pool bar because he wasnt tipping .We travelled from England and this hotel was one of the more expensive ones We are both very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Sandra S,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment, and for choosing us for your holidays. We appreciate your valuable feedback; receive our apologies for the inconvenience presented.

We hope to have the chance to prove we can exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

Josep Castellnou

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!