“Great Christmas Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #41 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Fort Erie,Ont
“Great Christmas Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this beautiful resort from Dec 20th -27th and had just an amazing time . It was our 1st time away at this time of year and we couldn't have made a better pick than this resort . We chose it because it was very small and all adult but we could always use the amenities of the very large Catalonia Bavaro next door if we chose to . From our check-in to departure everything went so well . Our suite in building 46 was really well appointed and comfortable and overlooked the pool . The grounds are very attractive and the beach area is just gorgeous with lots of natural shade and plenty of palapas . The food was universally very good . We always had breakfast at Thalassa and also most dinners too . The Christmas Eve gala at Cata Tapa was just great and Andres helped make it such a memorable evening . We also had the pleasure of being served by him when we had lunch at Sea Blue every day . All of the waiters at that restaurant were outstanding but I have to give special mention to our grande amigo Franklin . The restaurant has a very extensive menu of soup, sandwiches and "bar type " entrees . It is in such a lovely location by the infinity pool and adjacent to the beach . While not publicized , it is also open for dinner and we had a delicious steak and lobster dinner one evening . The resort offers a number of bars that are open for varying hours . We loved spending our mid to late afternoon at the pool near our room with the ever happy Carlos presiding . Following dinner each evening we sat on the terrace outside the piano bar where you would find the ever smiling Andis ( he seemed to be everywhere at times ) . The whole staff at this resort are just superb and when I read the negative crap , it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me , or I was at a different place . Our transfers to and from the airport with Blue Travel worked out just fine . We have stayed at both Dreams in Punta Cana but the intimacy of this resort places it as our "numero uno " . We also met so many lovely people from the UK , US and Germany .

Room Tip: We liked building 46 because it was close to the main building ( it does rain !) and walking to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear christopher_edgar,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor, and for choosing us for your Christmas holidays!

We are honored to receive your excellent appreciation of our services; we are delighted to know we achieved our goal to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for preferring us your “número uno” we will congratulate Andres, Franklin, Carlos and Andis for the remarkable service on your behalf!

Kind regards.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
Collingwood, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I just want to let you know that sometimes you have to read between the line on some of the reviews. A word to the wise if you are Canadian than those are the reviews that you should be reading not the American ones. The Bartender at the pool "Carlos" was one of the best ones. The food was excellent we went to most of the a la cartes and the best thing about it was you did not have to make reservations. My husband did get up every morning and saved lounge chairs for us, but he really didn`t need to as there was lots of chairs. We have no complaints at all with this resort and would go back again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the building that is right across from the Spa and very close to the pool. Building 42
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We’ve have traveled to a few other AIs in the Caribbean and this one was ok. We had a nice time but didn’t feel like we necessarily had a memorable experience.

The food is the main thing holding this resort back. Dinners were pretty good (on the Royal side) but the breakfast and lunch buffets only so-so and we didn't really look forward to meals.

The Gran Caribe buffet at the sister property has more options and Royal guests can sit in a quieter, separate area - I recommend visiting this buffet for breakfast and lunch.

We did not try the other restaurants next door…except the crepe place: definitely stop for crepes and the fun staff behind the counter.

Beach
Unfortunately, given where it’s situated on the coast, the beachfront is not the most amazing beachfront you may expecting when traveling to the Caribbean. The water is not that clear, brilliant turquoise, and there is a lot of seaweed – yes, oceans contain life, so it’s hard to complain, but it makes for uncomfortable swimming at times if you don't like to be snuck up on by floating vegetation. There is also a roped in area for ocean swimming so it can feel limited. There is a nice long beach for strolling however, and lots of palapas and palm trees for comfortable beach lounging, despite the towel game which is not unique to this resort (but we never had a problem).

Pools
We came for the beach, but the pools seemed nice – a quiet infinity pool near the beach, a rowdier pool with swim up bar closer to the lobby so was something for everyone.

Spa
We had a couples massage at the spa, which we enjoyed. The facility is small but relaxing.

Rooms
Nicely appointed and a good size. The resort seems to be having some air conditioning issues overall though. We don’t need an ice box, but some relief from the heat and humidity, at least enough for comfortable sleeping, is needed on a vacation like this. Bathroom is a good size. I didn’t mind the shower as much as other reviewers – I did wear my flip-flops because I was unsure about the wooden boards, but it wasn’t a big deal. The beds are indeed hard - I thought other reviewers were exaggerating -- but just ask housekeeping for a topper, it makes a big difference.

Staff
Wonderful. Can’t say enough nice things, especially about Yina at the front desk and Sondra in housekeeping – they were always up for a conversation, and for helping us with our Spanish.

Overall
We had a nice time. We wanted a week relaxing on the beach and doing nothing except reading and napping, and that’s what we did. My recommendation of this resort depends on your personal preferences and what's important to you. For us, the food is probably a bigger issue than I thought it would be. The beach didn’t offer the experience that we have had elsewhere or would want again. And for the same amount of money, we felt we could have had a better experience elsewhere. For us, we probably wouldn't come back to this particular property; vacation time and resources are limited and we want to maximize them.

Room Tip: Given some of the air conditioning issues, perhaps a room on a lower floor would be better, though I...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear workeatsleeptravel,

Thank you for taking your time to share your post on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your valuable feedback, and apologize for any discontent presented during your stay, we are glad to know you received kind services from our staff, Yina and Sondra will be congratulated on your behalf.

We hope to have the chance of a second visit, with the goal to exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

General Manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Our experience (as a family) was wonderful overall. The hotel grounds were meticulously maintained by the friendly staff who seemed to always be working to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The food was the only slight letdown- not enough variety for our personal preferences, however it was still good, and in no way would affect our decision to return. The entertainment was awesome, the staff was so enjoyable and did anything they could to make us feel welcome and have a good time. We were lucky enough to meet a staff member called Reuben Castillo who literally could not have done a better job entertaining us and everyone else. Seriously good guy and hard working.

• Stayed December 2012
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear ionpaul,

Thank you for choosing us for your holidays, and sharing your valuable comment on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind comments; we hope to have the honor to welcome you back for your next holidays!

Kind regards

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in this hotel, the ROYAL one, from Dec.17th to Dec. 26th, so we just went back.
We really liked the experience, and I would REALLY recommend to anyone to go to the royal (not to the sister property not ROYAL). However, there are a few things about the location you must consider. At the same time, I am not sure whether there is a better alternative for the same amount of money. It goes without saying that there is a better one if you pay more!

My suggestion to the hotel would be to try and cut any links to the non royal catalonia, especially developing their own entertainment, because guests from the Royal are forced to go to the other side for this and it is not the same standard, and this surely affects the prestige of the Royal.

Our trip was very smooth, and we arrived early to the hotel, transfer was very quick and effective. Big kudos to Westjet Vacation (from Canada). We were welcomed with a cold towel and a non alcoholic drink. Despite early in the day, the personnel at the front desk after a few minutes of wait (not the most loving person but it worked) gave us a room in villa 42.

Make sure you get beach towel cards when you check in, as we were assured we had towels in the room (not true), and then the guy at the beach was making a fuss about it, giving us a lecture on why and how we did not have the cards and threatening to call the reception to charge us. Generally I would suggest the management to keep those guys handling towels both beach and pool under control because they are not polite to the guests and too much concerned about their Dolphins Trip sale.

At the beginning we were not exactly sure whether we liked it or not, as it is quite a walk from the beach, but just in front of the pool and close to Thalassa restaurant (breakfast) and reception. Also the door was not moving smoothly and yes I felt the moldy smell, but no big deal (it's a tropical place, I smelled the same in many other locations around the world).
So we decided to stay and we enjoyed our room the whole vacation period.
The hotel, having the non-royal sister property, requires a bit of walk, you will see what I mean if you go from the beach to the Thalassa restaurant, and if you walk around the sister property. At the same time, I liked it because I read about hotels in the same area having shuttles and buses to go from one place to the other, also because of the number of guests they have, and I cannot believe this really exists.
The reception area is very nice, sometimes someone plays a piano, and it is very cool and with WI-Fi working just fine. Actually from the Thalassa restaurant and the pool you can still connect to the internet.
The pool area is also very nice, the bulk of the people are there but - believe me - we never had to fight for a chair or a spot, neither at the pool nor at the beach, the impression was the hotel is always empty, or is such a small property that it feels there is lot of space for each guest.
Big compliments to Carlos and to the lady at the pool bar - always very smiling and courteous and making very good drinks and cocktails. My favourite bar.
Going down to the beach, there is the boutique, like many others of the reviewers I would suggest not to bother. Not a great selection either. Unless you need an alarm clock to bring home.
Then there is the Spa Alegria. Did not try.
Then you will see the area of the fountain, that works some evenings.
Then there is the CataTapa Restaurant. We had there our Christmas dinner and another dinner before, and I must say it was a great experience. Really great food and great service. I wish we had more dinners there (but we did not lack any pleasure - keep reading).
Then there is on the left side (going down towards the beach) the Sea Blue restaurant. By far my wife's favourite restaurant, for lunch and dinner. If you like seafood, please go there. The menu is not so wide, so you might end up ordering twice the same thing. Very good gazpacho and clam chowder for lunch, unbelievable the lobster in the evening! We had there lobster at least three times! One night it was not good (dry) but all the other times very good. The very first night was really crowded so not so good service, but other days pretty empty. So please do yourself a favour and eat lobster there.
I am not a fan of barbeques on the beach during lunch time, so we were going either to the sea blue or to the thalassa for lunch. But there is this possibility if you like, actually if you miss your American food you can have the barbeque on the beach, stuff yourself, so that the guest that really know how to enjoy can go to Sea Blue or Thalassa. Why did you go to DR if you dont like fish? If you are allergic, I feel for you.
Let's talk about the bars at the beach. The one serving alcohol is good but the location is not the best. Just average.
The one I really liked and discovered too late is the one doing smoothies with fruit. Really liked although I dont eat melon and so my choices are limited.
The beach: this is kind of troubled point. If you are a fanatic of the beach and snorkeling, having seen in my life beautiful places, perhaps Punta Cana/ Bavaro (nothing to do with the hotel) is not the place for you. There is a lot of sea weed. No matter what the personnel does, there will be always in the water, and coming to beach. The water is not transparent. It is pretty windy all the time, so if it is around 29 degrees C, like for us, it is not really pleasant, and you dont feel like to bathe. There are lots of very tall palms, very nice to see, but these will cover the sun, and no suntan! On the non-royal side, the beach is wider and somewhat more open to the sun, but you will have kids around you! The things I liked of the beach are that is very quiet, no fights to have a spot and an umbrella, no other properties besides the non-royal catalonia, so you can walk as much as you want. One thing to say, there is on one side (right facing the sea) a small settlement of people selling souvenirs, they will bother you if you reach to them, if you want to shop there, good luck, most likely you will get a bad deal after an excruciating negotiation. Unless you perceive your purchase as a charitable donation. Not recommended - keep reading for advices on souvenirs.
Let's talk about the sister property - the non royal catalonia. Unfortunately, you will have to interact with it, because it is much bigger and all the entertainment is there, and some of the restaurants are located there. It is not a good level of service. Like some other reviewers said, there is lots of food, but not good quality. Generally, when there is a buffet, you should be worried, as you will end up eating a lot, but you wont remember what did you eat. Much better to order a la carte if you have the choice. We went two times to the Gran Caribe restaurant, mainly to try and if we had not enough food elsewhere and I would advise not to bother.
Around the pool area of the non royal catalonia, there is a snack bar that I read a lot about. Why you even bother going there? It is clear it is not good food. Same for the Paloma or whatever is the name of the other buffet.
We tried the barbeque organized for Xmas Eve at noon. As I said, why to bother with American food in DR? It was not good, I did not eat anything and my wife got a piece of raw chicken.
Let's talk about entertainment. There is a bunch of guys with a red shirt "Lookea" trying to do some entertainment. First of all, it's just a bunch of teenagers, so what do you expect? Second, they speak only French, and this is a bad thing, because the bulk of the tourists are actually Russian. A black girl was even picking on a boy while playing volleyball repeating continuously two words in Russian she heard. Not nice.
Generally they were doing very limited and in French only. Volleyball was starting with no schedule but spontaneously so for us was impossible to be there in time. Many times we were joining just 2 minutes before the match finishing and everyone leaving.
The evening entertainment, generally disappointing. Heavily relying on tourists and children, it was not interesting most of the time. Low points when one of the staff, a strong lady with a strange hair, started to beat another staff guy (as part of the play) and I can tell you that she was seriously beating the guy, as we were close enough to hear the noise. If this makes you laugh, you are in the right place. Otherwise, very repetitive shows, even did not bother to do something special for Xmas Eve, just doing AGAIN the Saturday Night Fever show. Low budget.
The bars at the Non Royal Catalonya are HORRIBLE. I am sure they water down the rum in the bottles. There is no way to get a nice drink over there.
The restaurants a la carte: we did not try Mexican or American. We did try the Italian - ok nothing special, and the Japanese - sorry, it is more a show than anything else. Food is not good and I dont blame the chefs - just wrong side of the world.
In the main square, sometimes the hotel allows external souvenirs guys to come to sell their stuff. Not sure why they do that (in reality I know), but it is quite a painful experience as you have to shake hands, bargain, answer to questions, etc.
If you want to buy souvenirs, just go to the gift shop, to the tobacco shop, and to the minimarket, that are in between the royal side and the non royal side. Prices are labelled and like other people said it is better than the airport. Also, the advice is to buy rum and liquid stuff there, as there is no difference virtually in price and at the airport they do not have sealed bags so you will be forced to take your luggage and put the bottles into it if you happen to have a stopover. If not, then you can buy at the airport duty free rum and liquours, but buy souvenirs and paintings and mamajuanas at the gift shop.
Other things in general:
- we did two excursions, one Catalina, really worth it, as they bring you to the area of La Romana, then on a catamaran, then on an island, you have lobster, and then on a river and then to visit a town in Mediterranean style in Casa De Campo. Google for more info.
The other excursion is Outback Safary it is more instructive about DR and history and stuff also because we had George as guide, really a great guy with a lot of humour. You will see the countryside and how people live, agriculture and stuff.
Tips: we gave always something to the maid, and sometimes when service was good to waiters and bell boys. Speaking about maid, not sure why they come twice a day but that is.
- I did not see any mosquitoes, my wife did, but no big deal unlike some other reviewers
- The suites with the private infinity pool are really impressive from outside, if you have the money go for it
- No issues with safety, I always keep luggages closed though and stuff in the safe.

Thank you for reading. Enjoy your vacation at ROYAL Catalonia.

Room Tip: It depends whether you want to be, close to pool/restaurant or to the beach. Then ask about it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear latakia,

Thank you for posting your valuable comment and honoring us with a five star score of our services! It was a pleasure to welcome you for your holidays.

We appreciate your kind feedback regarding our services; it’s very valuable for us to receive. Of course we look forward to be choice once again in the future to exceed your expectations.

Warm regards!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We loved the Royal Bavaro. My husband and I went for our honeymoon June 26, 2012-July 2, 2012. We had a great time. The food was good, the staff was awesome, and the beaches were great. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Krista M,

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor, we are enchanted to read you had a great time for your honeymoon holidays; of course we look forward to welcoming you back for your next holidays.

Best regards!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Staff- treated my girlfriend and I with the utmost respect. Really went along way to satisfy our needs and were very happy and helpful. We tipped at least one dollar for everything and realize that for the long hours they work and the amount they make they really work hard for a living and are worth every dollar.
Beach- very nice. Been allover the world and will say that this may be one of the nicest. There is a little seaweed, but the water is warm and beautiful. Beach is a little shady from the palms but always managed to find the sun. Very quiet and relaxing.
Food- breakfast very good and wide variety. Lunch mediocre. Dinner was nice, I love the grilled lobster.Lunch on the beach was very nice.
Room- smells a bit like mold but then again most humid places smell this way. Room was big and clean.
Excursions were a huge waste of money and would have rather spent the day at the beach and getting massages. Did like the excursion to coffee, cocoa and tobacco plantation, but do not enjoy being photographed all day and begged to buy photos. I take great photos and it costs me nothing. Massages are more relaxing when no one is in the hottub.
Overall I think the value of the vacation is a bit overpriced, but the staff service and the beach are wonderful. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone, and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear jkcanada1982,

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read you received a wonderful service from our staff, and enjoyed our facilities, thank you for your valuable feedback and for recommending us; of course it will be our pleasure to have the honor to welcome you back!

Receive kind regards from all the staff.

Josep Castellnou

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!