“Very good. Don't listen to the complainers.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Bavaro

You added Catalonia Royal Bavaro to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana 837, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #44 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, New York
“Very good. Don't listen to the complainers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We are still at the resort and have enjoyed every minute.
Yes, this is not a 5 star hotel by US, Canadian or European standards but there is nothing wrong with it.
Some minor nuisances but nothing to ruin your vacation. Every issue was resolved within minutes broken safe, extra towels, more water.
Grounds are pretty, staff is very friendly (make an effort and learn some Spanish and you will see the difference).

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to receive your review. We are content to read you are having an amazing time at Catalonia Royal! It’s our pleasure to assist you. Again thank you for appreciation!

Have a wonderful holiday.

Best regards

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
Normal, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Beautiful resort, outstanding rooms, and an overall laid back, happy atmosphere. My husband and I stayed here last April and settled into a routine. The second or so day, we made friends with a few other couples that we'd meet at the pool in mid morning (after a quick run and a late breakfast!) We'd hit up the beach for a bit, and then spend the afternoon and early evening poolside, drinking cocktails, listening to fun music, and taking dips in the pool to cool off.
Then we'd retreat back to the gorgeous rooms for some R&R, and head back out for dinner and more drinks. This vacation was the ultimate relaxing getaway.
The only thing I wasn't 100% satisfied with was the food. I was a vegetarian at the time, and while I was impressed that they had a veg option with every meal, the quality was just so-so. However, that's what you get a lot of the time with all inclusive resorts.
I wrote more as I documented our trip (with pictures) on my blog: runningaroundnormal.com/?p=11617

Room Tip: Bring some cards or meet some friends to have something to do during the day by the pool :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor!

We are enchanted to read we will be you choice once again in the future, it proves us we have provided the excellent service you deserve!

We are delighted you spend with us a very relaxing holidays, thank you for your feedback about our food services, we apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Best regards

Neenah, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was, by far, the worst vacation I have ever been on and all thanks to the employees at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. My husband and I went for 5 days from June 14-19 and were basically treated like dirt. The language barrier is one thing, but the attitude that accompanied their frustration with us for not understanding them from time to time was another thing. Even those that did speak decent English were beyond rude. Instead of "how can I help you?" or "what can I help you with?" or "is there anything I can do for you?", we were greeted with "what?", "yes?", or completely blank stares. Everyone acted like they needed a hug, and none were deserving of one. Had the service been exceptional, I might have looked past all of the other complaints I am about to go over:

Room:
While the rooms were a nice size, nice decor, nice balcony/pool view, etc., the beds were rock hard, the humidity in the rooms were so bad the bedding always felt damp, and the flowers they put in the rooms for a nice little touch came with bugs. One of our chairs in the room smelled of urine.

Room Service:
Room service was nice, but they forgot to give us towels twice and our refrigerator was constantly filled with warm beverages-the fridge never cold enough to cool these beverages off.

Resort:
The resort was very beautiful, including the beach. I had no complaints about the overall look of the resort and beach.

Pools: The pool towards the front was filthy. Infinity pool was nice.

Food: The food was awful. Period.

There is so much more I could complain about/expand on, but there's just not enough time in the day. Just save yourself the time and money, and go somewhere nicer.

Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor.

We would like to apologize for the incidents presented during your stay, we are sorry to read about your discontent. Our sincere apologies for the language barrier. Please be informed we provide English lessons to our staff, they strive to do their best to assist you.

Again we apologize and appreciate your feedback; we will of course take note to make sure
these kinds of incidents don’t repeat.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, and show you we can exceed your
expectations.

Warmest regards

Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Our holiday is 14th to 28th June, so we are live at Catalonia Royal. I wanted to do a review of how we see things so far, with the view of a new person.

From the moment we arrived everything was perfect. Very friendly check in staff and a welcome drink. We were greeted warmly by the lovely Thompson Rep, Juan Carlos (JC to his friends – but I am not sure yet if he performs miracles!). He is affable though, one of “the lads” and a big football fan. He painted an English flag on his face for the England game the day after we arrived and made the game a lot of fun with flowing “shots” and cocktails.

Our room is lovely. Just as in the brochure – large, airy and with a tub in the room, so no surprises. The air con works fine, and at night when sleeping, it is sufficient to leave just the ceiling fan on, as the air con is – as all air cons – quite noisy.

Servicing of the room every day is excellent. Mini fridge was always stocked, as was “larder” with peanuts and packs of Oreos and fresh coffee for the machine if needed.

The swim up pool can get very noisy as, with having as bar, younger people tend to go a little mad and over indulge. We are taking the tip to go to the inifinity pool tomorrow!!

At the bars they are happy to fill your own glasses or beakers. We brought our own plastic beakers and it just means going to the bar less. Bottled water is always provided on request, as is ice if you need it for your room (TIP: the rum they leave you as a welcome gift is gorgeous with coke, but there is no ice in your fridge!).

Restaurants so far: Excellent. This place is like having a Michelin starred restaurant at your disposal every night. Presentation and standard of food is superb. It is fair to say that some of the staff need lessons in looking less morose, but if you ignore that, everything is fine. Many of the staff are friendly with a ready smile – and not just for tips. Tips are not essential. You are not made to feel any less welcome – even on a second visit to a place – if you do not tip. Our way is to tip every other day or so. Everyone’s way is different, but don’t forget that you already paid for your food and drink when you paid for you holiday. Tipping is, as always , a matter of personal choice. The better the service, the better you tip. Here, at times, it is confusing because three or four people attend to you. Go with your instincts and maybe tip the one who attended to you the best (filled your wine when you needed it, or helped you with a choice). For the most part, tips are not pooled, so it’s a matter of determining for yourself who you tip – everyone or no one.

So far we have eaten at Thalassa which is the main restaurant at the Royal side. Great for buffet breakfast and you also get to order off the menu at the same time, so it is a mix and match thing. I loved the “light omelette” which is egg whites with cream cheese and spinach. Lunch times again are help yourself along with ordering – you really get the best of both worlds at this restaurant. At night it is full a la carte, and men have to obey a dress code of long trousers and closed shoes along with collared shirt (regular or polo). Women are privileged and can wear anything (within reason). Faves so far at night are lasagne and rib eye steak and the mashed potato is to die for. We discovered why in the cold light of day (as opposed to in the dark of the evening service). It is laden with butter, and yellow in colour, but hey, you are on holiday and the diet starts Monday (the one after you get home!!!).

Sea Blue at the beach on Royal side has a good choice too and we have yet to sample more of what they have to offer. Cata Tapa is superb, lovely ambience and fantastic food. Italian on Bavaro side is excellent. As stated previously, nothing to fault on the food whatsoever. I am a bit of a gourmand and have eaten at some fine restaurants in England, New York, Dublin (Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White) and these places are right up there.

Got to go now as my husband just got back with ice from the bar and we are going to indulge in our new obsession of rum and coke.

Signing off from room 4251 – Mr and Mrs Voisey – satisfied from England. (in the future would loved to stay at one of the private villas, which look fantastic. Might have to have a tour of them at some point!)

Dear Guest,

It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to read your fantastic comment, thank you for your five star appreciations of our services. We are content you are spending a great holiday with us; we hope you continue enjoying every minute!

Thank you very much for your appreciation of our restaurants services, we are delighted you have enjoyed of our culinary offer.

Of course we thank you for your detailed comments and opinions, feedback of our services.

Our guest opinion is our number tool to improve our services and continue the excellent service we strive to provide.

We wish you happy holidays!

Kindest regards

Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here from May 30th to June 4th and had a blast. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is the place for you. Everything from the concierge to the maid service was top notch. We had all of our meals on the Royal Side with no complaints. We ordered room service a couple of times, the selection is minimal but the service was swift and the food was decent. Hello to all the guys at Sea Blue....YOU ROCK!! These guys always remembered what our drink of choice was, they were super friendly and the food tehre was good. We had lunch here everyday and dinner once which was also good. The pool with the swim up bar was really nice and so was the quiet pool. We did not spend too much time on the beach but the time spent there was good as well. We went to the family side once and were happy to return to the tranquility of the Royal. We upgraded to the honeymoon suite and the extra amenities were well worth it. The massage, the breakfast and the private dinner on the beach was such a nice touch. Thank you for the T-Shirts : ) We had an issue with our hotel to airport pickup and the woman at the concierge could not have been more helpful. Thank you Jacee. Every evening we returned to a nice clean rooms. EVERY evening our room was clean. We stayed in room 3629. The AC the bed the water pressure and everything else in the room worked well. The food was fine for us but if you don't like something go somewhere else. There are options, use them! Overall I had a wonderful vacation. Thank you to all the staff at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro you could not have been more helpful in ensuring that our time spent here was enjoyable. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to return sometime in the future.

Dear guest,

We are delighted to read you had a relaxing vacation at our Resort.

It was our pleasure to always provide top notch service for your holidays. We are content to make sure your stay is wonderful.

We will make sure to congratulate our staff on your behalf; once again thank you we are happy you enjoyed to the fullest our services.

Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I wanted to wait until our trip was over to write this, but I can't stand the thought of someone else booking a stay here before I can warn them and encourage them to stay elsewhere.

First, let me qualify my review by sharing that my husband and I have been to Punta Cana before and we stayed at another resort (Barcelo Bavaro Palace), so we do have a benchmark to weigh our experience against and I hope you'll consider this when assessing all the reviews and ours in particular.

Before I go into details and in case you don't read all of this I want to share this:
We are staying 8 nights and 9 days and we paid $900 more than our last trip so that we could enjoy a "couples only" resort. And, based on the reviews this place sounded like a great option. But it is not. Not when you have other options.

We aren't fussy people or travelers. We tend to go with the flow and make the best of a bad situation when/if it arises, which we have sincerely applied to our stay here.

That said, we do have a few things that we hope to enjoy at an "all-inclusive" resort and we're willing to pay extra for them: beautiful beach. service with a smile. fair to excellent food. top-shelf liquor. nice spacious room.

Our primary issue (of a few) is that THE FOOD IS TERRIBLE! I mean awful. quality is inconsistent and often questionable. I've had better food at my daughter's school cafeteria, I'm sad to say. It has been very disappointing. Actually, until we stayed here, we never thought about how bad food can make a decent vacation pretty awful.

We have actually lost weight while we've been here and have such an aversion to eating at this place (or the larger sister resort next door - worse food by the way) that we're considering hiring someone to take us someplace local for a good Dominican meal tonight.

Everyone we've met (5 couples) feel like we do. We are all very unhappy about the food and other things like:

The beach is very average in comparison to where we stayed last at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace. It's not awful. Just average is all. Although we do like that there is a pool almost right on the beach and that it is very quaint and mostly quiet unless you're sitting closer to the sister resort where there is a lot of activity and the Scuba/Adventure folks are blaring their music off/on throughout the day.

There is no top-tier liquor, i.e. Jack Daniels or Absolut Vodka for example. You'll find Jim Beam and Smirnoff. NOTE: other resorts we've stayed at offer the former as a standard option at the very least.

Service will say No before they say Yes. NOTE: We don't blame the people working here, we blame this on management and/or hotel policy. Most everyone has been very nice and kind and willing to try to accommodate us even when policy dictates otherwise.

We upgraded our room to include a Jacuzzi and more space and the room is lovely, but we never could get the Jacuzzi water to warm up and the refrigerator in the room doesn't get cold. We were told the refrigerator was not meant to make drinks cold, only to ensure they didn't get warm. (huh?...) The A/C doesn't cool down immediately. After a day on the beach, it is cool in the room however. It is clean, but the linens and pillows could use an upgrade. I think it's time. (same for the beach towels).

In truth, we tried to switch hotels within 15 minutes of arrival because it was obvious from the get-go that we had made a poor choice and that the reviews we read were unfortunately not trustworthy.

Last September we stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace and we'd go there again in a heartbeat despite the fact that it's a family-oriented resort and we wanted a couples only vacation this time. I will write a review about the Barcelo Bavaro Palace when I get home because it is well-deserved.

Overall, it feels like this resort and the sister resort next door are on the verge of closing their doors. It's not quite run down so much as there is this sense that they are not being attended to by the corporate/parent company and attention from such is warranted. Surely there is money to be made here, so, if the parent company isn't paying any attention, why?

I make a living building global brands and I know what I'd do if this was my resort or if I was hired to take the brand through a customer-centric evolution, because this smaller hotel has potential - it could be a very lovely boutique resort experience.

Unfortunately, for us that is not the state of affairs here now.

Room Tip: We asked for a high room closer to the beach and we paid for a room with the Jacuzzi in it, but the...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to post your comment on TripAdvisor.

Our sincere apologies for the setback presented on your stay, we appreciate your time invested in sharing your feedback. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please be aware we will make sure to improve in this areas, it will our pleasure to have the opportunity to change your mind, and have the chance to exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Me & my Girlfriend decided to go on our first vacation, & it was the best ever. it was my first time out of the country i had a ball. we were advised to stay in the villas in the 40's. they gave us room 36. when we got there we didn't quite love the room so we went back & told the receptionist and they quickly gave us a room right infront of the pool ( villa 46 ) which was beautiful. the restaurants were excellent. very authentic dominican food. room service was perfect & in a timely manner. the beach on the royal side was never crowded bc it was private for the ppl staying on the royal side. nice swim up bars were perfect. we even took the dune buggy trip which was soooooo fun! i would go back in a heart beat.!!!!!!!! this resort does have ducks walking around & swimming as well as fish in ponds. if your not on the more wilderness side then you wouldn't like them. this resort is more on the Caribbean side which to me made it an even more greater experience. oh & the mamajuanas is the drink of DR you MUST try its a straight rum shot with leafs & tree roots, goes down smoother than most liquors

Room Tip: The Royal side would be the better half of the resort being that you get access to the entire resort...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent comment on Trip Advisor!

What a joy to read about your vacation experience. Thank you for choosing us for your first vacation, we are enchanted to know you had the best time ever with us.

Thank you for rating our services excellent, we were delighted to welcome you!

Receive warms regards from all the staff.

Josep Castellnou

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!