“wow, words are not enough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club

Save Saved
You added Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club to your Saves list
Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Cana | Altagracia, Higuey. Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
West Sussex
“wow, words are not enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

From the moment my family and I landed to our eventual depature (1 day late due to hurricane Earl) the staff at Tortuga could not do enough for us. The location is the best we have ever stayed at in the Dom Rep. VIP collection service at the airport, fast track through customs, check in at the villa not reception. Every need was catered for. This place really is paradise. I look forward to going back. The Templeman Family.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Just came back from 6 days (8/9 -8/14). This resort in one word "Perfect". From the minute you get off the plane to the minute to step back on your plane this resort treats you like royalty. You have to experience their VIP Airport Service to believe it, and it only gets better with the care and attention you receive from everyone at the resort. I know some people will think that everything could not be this good or perfect, but there really was nothing I could say bad about my time at this resort. My advice to anyone thinking about going to Tortuga Bay...(Beg, Borrow or Steal to get the money to go to this resort, you will not be disappointed).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Draper, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

My wife and I and another couple had an amazing stay at this exclusive retreat in Punta Cana. We stayed in a Junior Ocean Front Suite and it is one of the best room that we have stayed in. Beautiful and comfortable all in one. The view right out to the beach and the ocean (a stones through away) were a joy to wake up to every morning. You could have breakfast on your terrace or at Bamboo and both were great but the terrace was our favorite. The service and the staff were excellent and very helpful in arranging special requests like getting our group out on the Corales golf course before the official opening! We had the course to ourselves! As everyone has mentioned in the reviews we read prior to our trip the VIP airport service is the perfect way to start and end a vacation. We all had several Spa treatments and they were wonderful. Overall all it was an amazing week and we would recommend it to all. We usually don't travel to the same place twice as there are so many great places out there to see but we would put this one high on the list if we decide to start to double up.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I apologize in advance for this long and rambling review. However, we had such a unique and enjoyable time at Tortuga Bay, I feel compelled to give back a little to the site that directed me there!
As stated, we picked Tortuga Bay for a week long vacation based exclusively on the reviews seen here on Tripadvisor. We have traveled extensively throughout the US, Carribean, and Europe and have stayed at the typical high end places- Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Iberostar, etc. The Tortuga Bay resort is likely the best, and certainly in the top 2 or three places we have visited over the last 10 years.
The "campus" is actually a 15,000 acre complex which is in a sense separate from the remaining island. It includes the privately owned international airport, Tortuga Bay Resort, The Punta Cana Resort Hotel, Punta Cana Village, some luxury private homes, and two operating golf courses- La Cana and Corrales. When you land in Punta Cana, you are already within the confines of the 15,000 acre complex. Within the campus, there is excellent development and infrastructure- well maintained roads, streetlights, restaurants and shopping. You will feel as if you are in any well developed part of the world.
Once at the airport, you're greeted on the tarmac by the resort's VIP service and wisked quickly through customs to your shuttle. Contrary to what I saw from other reviews, this appeared to be a very eclusive service. Of the hundreds of travellers lined up to pass through customs, we were the only party to have this service. It did not appear that any other resorts made it available to its clients. Upon our departure, there is a VIP lounge for the reort's clients. We were the only two clients in the lounge, which was large, luxurious, and on level with the finest frequent flyer lounges that I have encountered anywhere in the world. The arrival/departure VIP service is unlike anything I have experienced and makes this relatively expensive resort even more worthwhile.
The resort is gated and a separate enclave withing the campus. Once again, Tortuga is separate from the remaining resort- giving it an "ultra exclusive" feel. Once at Tortuga, we were taken immediately to our Junior Suite for check in. Our villa manager, Victor, took great lengths to make sure we understood everything. We were supplied with a cell phone and keys to our own golf cart. Any whim could be realized by hopping in our cart or calling our villa manager via the dedicated cell phone.
The room was very large and superbly appointed, consistent with what you would expect from Oscar de la Renta. Large comfortable bed, WiFi internet, large flat screen satellite TV. The room has a large wrap around veranda overlooking the Carribean and is only about 100 feet from the private beach. Large closet, huge bathroom with L'occitane products, double vanity and garden tub, and a large dedicated kitchenette off the entry foyer. Again, it is a very large, sunny, and luxurious room on par or superior to anything you will encounter, even at this price range.
The restaurant, Bamboo, is excellent. They had a sale on wine so each bottle was 1/2 price. We had one slight problem with the preparation of my steak one evening- undercooked then overcooked. The staff graciously comped the steak without my asking. I would not have expected this and did not solicit the complimentary steak, which was quite tasty despite not being cooked to my specs. We also had breakfast each morning at Bamboo- delicious, fresh food with attentive service.
We played 2 rounds of golf- at La Cana and at Corrales. Both courses were outstanding, with incredible views of the Carribean. The La Cana course designer, PB Dye, was in residence while we were there. He and his lovely wife, Jean, are extremely kind and friendly people. We feel like we made two new friends while we were there! I got an education on turf and golf course design from one of the world's best! Mr. Dye is constructing a third course, Hacienda, opening next year. At Corrales, our caddie David was great- highly recommended. The course pro, Jay Overton, is a fantastic guy and went out of his way to make our experience feel special. Golfers can plan on a world class experience at Tortuga Bay.
The beach at Tortuga is gorgeous, with attentive service from Ezekier. I agree with others that the chairs could have been more comfortable, but it didn't deter me from napping for several hours! 2 towels will pad the chairs more than adequately. Most of the time, we were the only persons on the beach- something we have not experienced at other resorts.
There is a complimentary shuttle service to take you to the village. We had 2 very nice meals in the village at Mama Luisa's and Acenta. I would encourage dining at Bamboo, in the village, and the grill at La Canta. We did not dine at any of the other establishments at the resort so cannot comment on the other spots.
We had one, unavoidable problem with our shuttle one evening- it was 20 minutes late taking us out because it was making a run to the airport. In what appears to be the norm for Tortuga Bay, a bottle of Grey Goose vodka awaited us, with an apology letter, upon our return. Again, I would not have expected this recourse for such a minor issue. But our villa managers, Karin and Melissa, went out of there way to ensure a very special experience.
My wife and I both had a variety of different treatments at the spa- foot soother massage, body massage, and facial. The therapists were attentive and skilled and the treatments were on par with what would be expected from a world class resort.
The only nit I would make would be the fitness facilities. Although Tortuga's gym was clean and had a spin bike, universal machine, 2 treadmills, and an Elliptical, it was not what I would expect from a resort that provides this level of amenities and service. I will qualify this by saying I am a bit of a fitness fanatic, so perhaps my expectations are a bit overboard. I was able to get a good cardio workout and a light pump on the universal machine, but a larger, more well-appointed gym would completely top off this beautiful resort.
In summary, Tortuga Bay is a fantastic place. The staff is exceedingly gracious and the natural (and man-made) beauty of the place makes it one of the most enchanting places we have visited. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I won't be redundent I will just get straight to the point!!

This place is amazing and the perfect place for my destination wedding. The whole resort is so large I don't feel as though I am locked in. Tortuga Bay has the activities and long beach of a resort like the Half Moon (but way better), the service of a Ritz Carlton, and the chic designer style of the Round Hill Hotel and Villas. It also great because if you want to exit seclusion you can use the other services of the Punta Cana Resort and Club which is on property. The Punta Cana resort is a great option for other guests for a wedding who cannot afford the steep costs at Tortuga Bay. Food was excellent service was amazing (including VIP pickup and drop off! They also just got the Five Diamond Award (the only hotel in DR to do so!!)

But we all can do better so just a few tips. The beach is beautiful but the seaweed did begin to pile up. While every morning I saw many people raking only two people were picking up the piles with little mini barrels with a lot of beach to cover. They were working very hard but maybe the resort could get more people to pick up the piles after they have been raked or invest in a machine to do a quick rake and then have people go over it? (I think Cap Jaluca has one in Anguilla).

The beach staff was also amazing very friendly and always service with a smile. but maybe there could be two beach attendants so while one person is off taking orders there is always another person there to cover new comers to the beach. But the resort is still amazing!!!!! Book a trip there today!!!

• Stayed July 2010
Santiago, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This hotel is the best option in the Punta Cana area. We were uppgraded to an oceanfront room with an amazing view. Service was impeccable, food is excellent and room amenities are also great. Nice plasma TV with many channels in different languages, fast internet connection, extremely comfortable bed, good a/c system. I do not have enough words to say how pleased we were with Tortuga Bay. For sure we will return in not too long.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was our second experience here and what can I tell you but, don't bother to go anywhere else if you are truly looking for service, exclusivity, privacy and most of all the most gracious staff at any resort in the Caribbean bar none. This is the place for you if you want to feel as if you are the only guests at a resort . The villas are well furnished and well maintained. The beaches are breath taking and secluded. The food at Bamboo is exceptional and the staff will overwhelm you with first rate service. The new golf course, Corralles ,(a Fazio design), is by far the finest in the Carribean, and I have played them all. Jay Overton and his staff have set out to create an exclusive golf experience including a new PB Dye course set to debut in the next year. I cannot say enough how we enjoy this place. From the exclusive airport pick up to the time they drop you off in the VIP lounge for your trip home, they do not miss a step. If luxury and incredible service are not your thing then there are plenty of all inclusives around.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club? Share your experiences!