“A perfect LOVE nest !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club

You added Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club to your Saves list
Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Cana | Altagracia, Higuey. Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
“A perfect LOVE nest !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

For 3 years in a row I have been rating Tortuga Bay. The hotel is better every day, due to the careful eye for perfection of its owners and its service that is better and better without loosing what has made the Dominican Republic been known as the main destination in the Caribbean: The cheerfulness and spontaneity of its people.
To start, the hotel is a boutique of only 30 rooms (each of them with its private golf cart) set in villas of 3 and 4 rooms, all of them beach front(first and second row). The rooms are top notch with all the amenities you can imagine and more, a canopy bed and a mattress and pillows that you feel you are in heaven, some of them with private jacuzzi outside of the room where you can see one of the most beautiful sky on Earth.
The beach is a gorgeous white sand beach in a quiet caribbean sea due to the coral reef.
The surroundings are immaculate gardens. The golf courses have improved as I heard golf players giving it great accolades this weekend.
The restaurant is set in a simple casually elegant atmosphere and is getting better year after year.
I found my wife and I love nest becoming more lovely every year, good reason to come back year after year.
Congrats to Tortuga Bay and its people that makes the every day "experience" a lovely one.

• Stayed April 2013
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. De Marchena,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Tel. (809) 959-8229

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
miami, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a long overdue review. We were there last summer for the second year in a row, and i can not emphasize enough how wonderful this place is for a family vacation. The quiet, beautiful setting, the nicely appointed villas, the fact that your yard is one of the most beautiful beaches in all the caribbean and a wpnderful garden....the food has improved since the last time, it just needs more variety in the adjacent restaurants because the one at the clubhouse is not up to the level of Tortuga, so you have to take a ride to the small town nearby to get more variety...but apart from that, the experience and the place shines. I forgot to mention how attentive and good spirited the people of the hotel is.....i could return to this place every year

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Barranq

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay on Tripadvisor It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

Yours sincerely,

Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club
vcalcerano@puntacana.com
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We agree with the chorus of TripAdvisor members, whose reviews sent us here, that this is an utterly lovely, luxurious property, impeccably kept and professionally run in a part of the world not known for its consistent upkeep and service. Even the smallest room available, a junior suite, which we booked for five nights, is graciously appointed and palatial with an entry vestibule, kitchen, huge bath with double sink, soaking tub and, in our case, two terraces not thirty feet from an uncrowded, quiet Caribbean shore, e.g., no high-rises and only 35 guests who share a half-mile-plus coast that is raked of seaweed constantly. And yes, the airport welcome and send-off is exceptional since you skip the lines and are out of there and in your room within a few minutes of landing. The vibe here is a little more institutional than the kind of mom-and-pop establishment that many people seek out in the Caribbean. You don’t get to meet the owners (who include Oscar de la Renta and Julio Iglesias), nor do you readily form bonds with staff; but this in itself has advantages if you relish your privacy. HOWEVER, there are a few things to keep in mind before you book. 1) The final cost of your stay will be at least 30% greater than the stated cost of the room (18% sales tax plus an automatic 10% gratuity charge on everything). 2) Breakfast is the only meal included in the price. The food is good but not great and very expensive. Two people will generate at least $125 per day for lunch, dinner and drinks, and that’s in the low range. (The best restaurant is called La Yola and should be visited more than once.) 3) Tipping is manageable but awkward, and an all-inclusive rate would address the challenge. Otherwise, a stack of five- and ten-dollar bills brought from home will go a long way since dollars are accepted and the staff is apparently paid little and benefits greatly from our generosity. 4) There isn’t a whole lot to do beyond golf, the beach, an informal aquatics center (snorkeling, diving and so forth) and a delightful nature preserve with fresh-water plunge pools, a must-see. Snorkeling, for example, was well-managed, cost $100 cash for 90 minutes but is subject to a rough ocean swell that caused sea-sickness. So please, please, please work out your differences in advance and go as a loving, talking and book-reading couple since that’s mostly what you’ll be doing if you don’t play golf. That said, the setting is the best I have ever seen for families with young children who delight in an uncrowded beach with calm surf just a few feet away from their parents’ chaises-lounges and the lovely manse-like guest houses. There were many such families in residence during our visit, in addition to well-behaved teens who delighted in driving the golf-carts given to every guest. In selecting a room, you might first consider villas at either end of the property, i.e., numbers 622 (where we stayed) and 610, which are more private since they abut golf courses rather than other peoples’ rooms. But they are all nice, without exception, and even those few not directly on the ocean still have views of the water and are separated from the sand by a just few more feet of lovely, green lawn (see pics).

Room Tip: Villas at either end of the property, # 622 or 610, offer a bit more privacy but all rooms, even off...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Nice,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Tortuga Bay was the most disappointing hotel I have been to in a long time. I researched the hotel diligently using trip advisor, travel magazines and a trusted friend's recommendation, big mistake.

The hotel is intimate but not in a good way. The pool is tiny and dirty, not pretty at all and has no view. The small restaurant is adjacent to the pool which is therefore noisy and clautrophobic. There are two "jacuzzi" type tubs, both cold, dirty and broken (at least during our stay).

The service was SLOW. The food awful. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The rooms were poorly configured. Window shutters on the inside of the windows wouldn't stay open making the room dark. Not enough light in any room including the bathroom.

The natural lagoons, which I was looking forward to seeing were to say the least, unimpressive.

The water at the beach was nice and the sand fine. The lounge chairs were simple and the set up not terribly inviting. I asked for masks and fins for my son and I to snorkel and was told to call my villa manager. Why not have the equipment at the beach? Odd.

My son and I went golfing at the puntacana course. Our concierge asked the pro shop three times if they had lefty kids golf clubs and were told yes, three times, only to be told no when we got to the "Clubhouse". He used the righty clubs and had fun but they were very disorganized. The course is ok. Not exceptional.

The hotel is surrounded by run down low budget buildings. A pizza restaurant and pool bar were recommended for off property dining. I tried to find something redeeming but came up empty handed.

I paid $2000 per night and left as early as I could.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Verbier ,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at our Tortuga Bay Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your stay.

At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

I wish to make my best attempt in regaining your confidence in our hotel and I would like to invite you to Tortuga Bay for 2 days anytime at your convenience, depending on availability and experience the 5 star feeling you certainly deserve to have.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Your sincerely,

vcalcerano@puntacana.com
Cel. (829) 797-1121
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was not doubt a great resort. I went with the family and it delivered for everyone. On arrival we were met by a VIP agent who walked us to the front of the immigration line, presented our passports, our bags were all collected loaded and we got into a large bus and headed to the resort. I was very impressed as that does not happen everywhere. The cabanas have 2-3 units in them one 2 bedroom on the main floor. One thing to note is that some of the 2 bedroom units are bigger then others I was in 6171, 6151 was significantly larger, and 6191 and 6120 were smaller. The larger units have more windows, and larger kitchens, living rooms etc. The staff are some of the most well trained and kind people. I never saw anyone who did not have a smile, and was wanting to make your stay great. The tennis is great. The pro there has been there for 22 years he has a great team who are all so helpful and willing to help you have a great time. The food in the restaurants is great and they are accommodating for opening early for young kids. The beach is beautiful, and very private. The whole thing is very well thought out. My only concern is that the punta cana resort (the one down the beach where the italian restaurant is seems to be very poorly maintained and was a little depressing when going down to the 2 restaurants, tennis, kids club etc. So if you plan to stay at Tortuga Bay, you will love it. This was not a cheap trip, however it did deliver. I found the air conditioners a little loud for sleeping, however, in all fairness the rooms are pretty large so they do need large ones.

Room Tip: 6151 was the best of the 4 2bedroom units I saw.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The beachfront villas are beautifully appointed and situated. There are many activities to choose from. The weather is always warm. This is a great place for an extended family vacation. It is accurately represented on its website.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Christine. E,

Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week in a two bedroom villa overlooking the beach/Caribbean. My wife, my daughter (14) and her friend enjoyed spring break at this resort. As others have commented on, the VIP service at the airport is awesome. No waiting in lines and the VIP lounge for the return was really nice. Laura did a nice job checking us in and was very friendly to us throughout the week. The villa was outstanding- large rooms, comfortable beds and located about ten steps to the beautiful white sandy beach. I enjoyed watching the sun rise over the Caribbean several mornings. Having a golf cart and bikes were really helpful as the property is quite large and the bikes gave the girls freedom to go places without us. Breakfast at the Bamboo restaurant offered a variety of fruits, breads, cereal, eggs to order, etc. every day (but I did wish they would vary it up toward the end of our week). Cesar was a great waiter and Beddie made the best tropical drinks at Bamboo. The villa manager (Giselle) was outstanding. She handled all of our requests in a very nice and effective way including finding us zinc oxide and making reservations for us for activities and dinners every day. We spent lots of time at the beach and loved it. The white sand is soft and never gets hot. The sea water was warm and there was always a nice breeze so you never felt too hot. There is sea weed by the shore but that never bothered us. They have a swimming pool but it is quite small. There was food and beverage service for the beach but it was slow. Andres, the beach server, was helpful and a nice guy. It just took a long time for the bar and food orders to arrive. As for the activities, we really enjoyed swimming in the freshwater lagoon on the property. We saw turtles and tilapia in the lagoon and iguanas on the trees along the path to the lagoon. We also enjoyed kayaking (free) and renting the Hobie cat from Ben in the activity center. There are some rocky and shallow areas so you need to be a fairly experienced sailor to avoid trouble. In addition, we went horseback riding and had fun but beware there is more galloping and fast trotting so it may be scary for inexperienced riders. Lastly, we went on the Segway tour and it was very disappointing. They only spent 1 minute teaching you how to ride and did not give you more than thirty seconds of practice time before they started the tour. As a result, I almost fell and my wife fell on the trail. After she fell they were more interested in getting us to sign a medical waiver form than in taking her back to the resort. Even if she did not fall, I would not recommend the tour because they basically take you to the beach and the lagoon, both places you can get to on your own. They also try to sell you pictures they took of you and the others in your group for $20 and a bottle of rum with a picture of your family on the label. Very low class and it turned everyone off (no one in our group bought either). AVOID the SEGWAY tour! Regarding the restaurants, our favorite was La Yola. Their fresh fish fillets were outstanding and the overall quality of the food was high. We liked the quality of the food at the Bamboo restaurant but the service was slow and they screwed up our drink orders. We liked Franco Pizzeria for lunch as they made good pizza and sandwiches. We went to Playa Blanca for dinner one night and we felt the service and food were below average. One night we went to the Punta Cana Village for dinner and ate at Mamma Luisa's, an Italian restaurant with fairly good food. Nothing fancy. Basic pasta dishes. Keep in mind, there are no night activities on the premises. You have to entertain yourself at night but the HD TV and Internet (free wifi) worked well. In summary, this resort offers a quiet and relaxing environment. You never feel crowded or have to wait in line for anything. Many times you feel like you have the entire beach to yourself. The property itself is very clean and well maintained. All in all, a wonderful place to go for a quiet and relaxing week!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Chadick,

Tel. (809) 959-8229

Been to Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club? Share your experiences!