“I am speechless!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club

Save Saved
You added Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club to your Saves list
Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Cana | Altagracia, Higuey. Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Greenwich, Connecticut
“I am speechless!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Tortuga Bay was the most disappointing hotel I have been to in a long time. I researched the hotel diligently using trip advisor, travel magazines and a trusted friend's recommendation, big mistake.

The hotel is intimate but not in a good way. The pool is tiny and dirty, not pretty at all and has no view. The small restaurant is adjacent to the pool which is therefore noisy and clautrophobic. There are two "jacuzzi" type tubs, both cold, dirty and broken (at least during our stay).

The service was SLOW. The food awful. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The rooms were poorly configured. Window shutters on the inside of the windows wouldn't stay open making the room dark. Not enough light in any room including the bathroom.

The natural lagoons, which I was looking forward to seeing were to say the least, unimpressive.

The water at the beach was nice and the sand fine. The lounge chairs were simple and the set up not terribly inviting. I asked for masks and fins for my son and I to snorkel and was told to call my villa manager. Why not have the equipment at the beach? Odd.

My son and I went golfing at the puntacana course. Our concierge asked the pro shop three times if they had lefty kids golf clubs and were told yes, three times, only to be told no when we got to the "Clubhouse". He used the righty clubs and had fun but they were very disorganized. The course is ok. Not exceptional.

The hotel is surrounded by run down low budget buildings. A pizza restaurant and pool bar were recommended for off property dining. I tried to find something redeeming but came up empty handed.

I paid $2000 per night and left as early as I could.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Verbier ,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at our Tortuga Bay Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your stay.

At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

I wish to make my best attempt in regaining your confidence in our hotel and I would like to invite you to Tortuga Bay for 2 days anytime at your convenience, depending on availability and experience the 5 star feeling you certainly deserve to have.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Your sincerely,

Cel. (829) 797-1121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was not doubt a great resort. I went with the family and it delivered for everyone. On arrival we were met by a VIP agent who walked us to the front of the immigration line, presented our passports, our bags were all collected loaded and we got into a large bus and headed to the resort. I was very impressed as that does not happen everywhere. The cabanas have 2-3 units in them one 2 bedroom on the main floor. One thing to note is that some of the 2 bedroom units are bigger then others I was in 6171, 6151 was significantly larger, and 6191 and 6120 were smaller. The larger units have more windows, and larger kitchens, living rooms etc. The staff are some of the most well trained and kind people. I never saw anyone who did not have a smile, and was wanting to make your stay great. The tennis is great. The pro there has been there for 22 years he has a great team who are all so helpful and willing to help you have a great time. The food in the restaurants is great and they are accommodating for opening early for young kids. The beach is beautiful, and very private. The whole thing is very well thought out. My only concern is that the punta cana resort (the one down the beach where the italian restaurant is seems to be very poorly maintained and was a little depressing when going down to the 2 restaurants, tennis, kids club etc. So if you plan to stay at Tortuga Bay, you will love it. This was not a cheap trip, however it did deliver. I found the air conditioners a little loud for sleeping, however, in all fairness the rooms are pretty large so they do need large ones.

Room Tip: 6151 was the best of the 4 2bedroom units I saw.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The beachfront villas are beautifully appointed and situated. There are many activities to choose from. The weather is always warm. This is a great place for an extended family vacation. It is accurately represented on its website.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Christine. E,

Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week in a two bedroom villa overlooking the beach/Caribbean. My wife, my daughter (14) and her friend enjoyed spring break at this resort. As others have commented on, the VIP service at the airport is awesome. No waiting in lines and the VIP lounge for the return was really nice. Laura did a nice job checking us in and was very friendly to us throughout the week. The villa was outstanding- large rooms, comfortable beds and located about ten steps to the beautiful white sandy beach. I enjoyed watching the sun rise over the Caribbean several mornings. Having a golf cart and bikes were really helpful as the property is quite large and the bikes gave the girls freedom to go places without us. Breakfast at the Bamboo restaurant offered a variety of fruits, breads, cereal, eggs to order, etc. every day (but I did wish they would vary it up toward the end of our week). Cesar was a great waiter and Beddie made the best tropical drinks at Bamboo. The villa manager (Giselle) was outstanding. She handled all of our requests in a very nice and effective way including finding us zinc oxide and making reservations for us for activities and dinners every day. We spent lots of time at the beach and loved it. The white sand is soft and never gets hot. The sea water was warm and there was always a nice breeze so you never felt too hot. There is sea weed by the shore but that never bothered us. They have a swimming pool but it is quite small. There was food and beverage service for the beach but it was slow. Andres, the beach server, was helpful and a nice guy. It just took a long time for the bar and food orders to arrive. As for the activities, we really enjoyed swimming in the freshwater lagoon on the property. We saw turtles and tilapia in the lagoon and iguanas on the trees along the path to the lagoon. We also enjoyed kayaking (free) and renting the Hobie cat from Ben in the activity center. There are some rocky and shallow areas so you need to be a fairly experienced sailor to avoid trouble. In addition, we went horseback riding and had fun but beware there is more galloping and fast trotting so it may be scary for inexperienced riders. Lastly, we went on the Segway tour and it was very disappointing. They only spent 1 minute teaching you how to ride and did not give you more than thirty seconds of practice time before they started the tour. As a result, I almost fell and my wife fell on the trail. After she fell they were more interested in getting us to sign a medical waiver form than in taking her back to the resort. Even if she did not fall, I would not recommend the tour because they basically take you to the beach and the lagoon, both places you can get to on your own. They also try to sell you pictures they took of you and the others in your group for $20 and a bottle of rum with a picture of your family on the label. Very low class and it turned everyone off (no one in our group bought either). AVOID the SEGWAY tour! Regarding the restaurants, our favorite was La Yola. Their fresh fish fillets were outstanding and the overall quality of the food was high. We liked the quality of the food at the Bamboo restaurant but the service was slow and they screwed up our drink orders. We liked Franco Pizzeria for lunch as they made good pizza and sandwiches. We went to Playa Blanca for dinner one night and we felt the service and food were below average. One night we went to the Punta Cana Village for dinner and ate at Mamma Luisa's, an Italian restaurant with fairly good food. Nothing fancy. Basic pasta dishes. Keep in mind, there are no night activities on the premises. You have to entertain yourself at night but the HD TV and Internet (free wifi) worked well. In summary, this resort offers a quiet and relaxing environment. You never feel crowded or have to wait in line for anything. Many times you feel like you have the entire beach to yourself. The property itself is very clean and well maintained. All in all, a wonderful place to go for a quiet and relaxing week!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Chadick,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Rented a two bedroom Villa. It was spacious and beautiful. Very clean. The staff was so very nice and remembered our names and called us by name. The grounds were 'heaven on earth!' The landscape was very well-kepted. The restaurants were clean and the food was delicious. The cocktails were a little different from what we were used to getting. They only use the local rum. The golf courses were fabulous! The pools are small, but never crowded. They service at the beach was excellent. There were the cutest (and helpful) Ball Boys on the tennis courts. The Cabana Boys at the beach brought us fresh coconut milk each day. We will return!!

Room Tip: We recommend staying in a Villa. They are very private!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Chelle,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is an all-inclusive resort that apparently aims to keep its visitors confused but happy. We were never clear on which rooms or suites were part of which property, or which amenities were available to us. We were in a duplex villa, but had only reserved (for a last minute trip) a suite, which I assume was in a hotel building somewhere. We had our own golf cart to get around, but we were never quite sure how far afield we could go. At one point, we ended up in a nearby community of homes which were mostly new and for sale. Restaurants and other amenities are strewn about randomly, and signage is inconsistent.
That said, we had a terrific time. The beach is short and has to be cleaned of seaweed regularly, but the weather was wonderful, and we just wanted to relax for a romantic couple of days, which we did. The service at the restaurants was impeccable.
I do have to mention - the service where they meet you at the steps of the plane, and guide you through customs privately, skipping everyone in line from every plane including your own, is incomparable. I've never experienced anything like that in the world, and I've no idea how they manage it. It seems almost indecent.

Room Tip: I was so confused, I couldn't possibly give anyone helpful tips on this.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Kevin,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

Would you please be more specific about the confusion of the amenities we really appreciate your comments.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

From being greeted by the VIP Tortuga Bay agent steps away from diembarking our flight our stay exceeded our 1st time visit to this resort and the D.R.
The property was immaculate in a beautiful setting with kind and well trained staff. Tortuga Bay is one property within the "Grupo PUNTACANA".
An important fact is their commitment to environmental protection/ethics. Their Puntacana Ecological Foundation has a water conservation/treatment facility, recycling program together with the airport with the objective to become a zero discharge community.
The beautiful golf courses use seagrass paspulum grass that can be irrigated with salt water. They have a solid waste program - waste water is treated and used to water the gardens. The "Grupo" also does much in the way of building schools and providing job training. We spoke to employees who said they are provided with special health insurance and are proud to work for this group.
My husband and I are always concerned how staff are treated; we are happy to report that this was a property that cares about it's people, environmental protection for its country, and it's tourism.
Good going Oscar de la Renta, Julio Iglesias, Vincenzo Calcerano, and the team at Tortuga Bay!We look forward to returning with friends next year!
Note: it was my birthday and our building manager surprised me with very special treats! Gracias.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Travlr,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Tel. (809) 959-8229

Been to Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club? Share your experiences!