“Very Good, with Super Potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club

You added Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club to your Saves list
Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Puntacana Resort & Club, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
Massachusetts
“Very Good, with Super Potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Tortuga Bay experience begins on a high note: After you climb down the airplane steps at the Punta Cana airport, you’re greeted by an attendant then whisked by golf cart to passport control ahead of everyone else. Next, you’re accompanied at baggage claim then handed off to a driver, who takes you on the brief 10 minute ride to the resort. The airport can be a bit chaotic, so the assistance comes in handy, not to mention the VIP touch. On the return flight, you have access to a VIP lounge.

As for Tortuga Bay, this is a great destination to just beach it for a week. One of the competitive perks are private golf carts provided to guests, which enable you to blast around the resort and adjacent partner Punta Cana Resort and its facilities. Service is friendly, and a set of managers meet your needs through resort-issued blackberry. About 8 (+) villas consist of large 1 unit first floors and 2-unit second floors.

The white sand beach is very good, though there is a seaweed presence (diligently scooped up by staff each day). Birdlife is very impressive - we witnessed a daily egret show along the shore.

The biggest disappointment at TB is the beach food and beverage service, which was aloof and very slow during our stay – we waited an hour for lunch as the server catered to a high-maintenance family in another room. The food was good, but the service management needs attention. The fitness center is serviceable if not LHW material: There are five cardio stations, and a weight/muscle-conditioning multipurpose station.

Spa treatments (facial and massage) at the Six Senses Spa were exceptional.

Tortuga Bay also offers the best eating in Punta Cana – three trips to restaurants at nearby resorts and in the Village were inferior. Complimentary breakfast buffet at Bamboo consists of a good selection. The Club House restaurant and bar offer a great view, and the food is very good, although we had one disappointing lunch experience at the Club House Grill where the service was in disarray and we received plates and substitutions that we didn’t order after long waits.

Happy hour from 5-7 at Bamboo provides good drinks with warm bar staff.
I regret not golfing, as the world-class course looked incredible and provided great views across the resort.

Complimentary rides into the Village enable you to purchase items from a market at reasonable costs, and several restaurants and a few shops line the walkways. This area has great potential if more decent retail and eateries are added.

This may sound like a fussy four-star review, but I hold it up against other top-level Leading Hotel experiences. This is a very good destination with the potential to be one of the World's best.

Room Tip: Tip: The 622 villa at the end afforded less foot traffic and a closer perch to the beach than other...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Mr./ Mrs. Jorje Jaj,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “for one- of a- kind’’. Experience

Your sincerely,

General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
Abraham Lincoln 960, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tel. (809) 959-8229

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here with friends in a beach casita. That's a good play. The breakfast is a good time (included). We had a car which allowed us to go to the grocery store (punta cana village) to stock up on provisions. The hotel has a shuttle that operates every 2 hours. Otherwise a taxi is $20 to get into town. The restaurant at playa blanca is a good option. The Eco preserv!e is a must..it's free for guests. The lagoons make for an amazing swim.

• Stayed December 2012
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort for six nights through an all-inclusive LivingSocial deal. For the price we paid, $600 ($300 per person), we don’t think there was too much to complain about. Sure, the bed was quite stiff, the pillows were not fluffy, and hot water was sometimes sparse, but there was nothing significantly wrong. The room was clean, secure, pretty modern, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We actually met other fellow vacationers on the Living Social deal and had a blast with them! (Living Social unites everyone…haha)

We were able to try out several of the resort’s restaurants. For the most part, everything was very good. The drinks were great, too, and we became quite fond of Fran, the awesome bartender in the lobby bar (tip him well!). Several of the other reviewers mentioned birds and insects on the food in the breakfast buffet. The buffet is open air, so it’s to be expected. Sure, if we could give advice to management it would be to better cover the fruit, for example, but it comes with the territory.

The resort was not very crowded when we went. We’re not sure if that’s typical or if it was because it was around Thanksgiving time, but we didn’t mind not having to wait for drinks, tables or chairs at the beach or pool.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the resort. If LivingSocial offered the deal again, we would likely return. But at the resort’s regular going rate, we would probably venture to try out a new resort in Punta Cana. As with everything, especially vacations, it’s what you make of it.

Fremont, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a beautiful resort. It is very laid back and very quiet. The grounds are very lush and green, very tranquil. The beach is very nice and the grounds keepers work very hard to maintain the grounds and to keep the seaweed to a minimum. The food is very good, including the free breakfast buffet at La Cana. Our room was very clean and airy and the beds were actually comfortable. The staff is very helpful and friendly, and although primarily spanish speaking, communication is not much of a problem. The only critisism we had was that there is ABSOLUTELY no night life there...no entertainment, no music, dancing...nothing after the sun goes down. Even so, we will be planning another trip in the near future for sure!!!

Room Tip: We had a corner room, which is why we had the extra sitting room (pics) and It was pretty quiet. Do...
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed one night at this resort, hotel is very nice, breakfast restaurant faboulus, room also I really enjoyed!! but, I wanted to order room service, 2 chicken grill, 1 salad, 3 coke. they delivered at night , and no receipt , cost me: $104 . I said can i see the receipt, he said this is the receipt , I saw the hand letter paper just the $104!! I asked where is the receipt? answer is no receipt. I said ok post it to my room , he said cc has a problem , Its impossible cause i know my limit, he said only cash, !! i called the front desk, no one answered the phone, I had visitors I didnt want to spend my time about the issue. and I gave all my cash to the person without receiving or signing any receipt. It is unbelievable!!! there is no room service menu in the room!! next morning I went to front desk to ask where is my receipt? restaurant sent by email, and i saw $25 chicken grill price. I wish i can post the picture of the plate, only french fries and grilled chicken!!! It was a horrible experience and i felt so stupid to make a room service!!! I am working and studied hotel management in a big hotel chain and university., I ve never seen that kind of service in my life. I recommend you not to order any food. They made me stressed on my vacation for nothing. But, I hope they will change sth. By the way, when i asked my cc next morning, they said my cc is fine and no problem.

Room Tip: superior room is very nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bethlehem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were taken care of right at the airport and whisked to the hotel property. Greeted by friendly folks that escort you to your villas, and then give you a cell phone in case you need anything. We used that to make dinner reservations, questions about the ecological park and requesting rides. Each villa comes with its own golf cart which is very useful as the property is extensive. Variety of beach areas to visit - all lovely. Dominican Republic has a reputation for sea grass washing on the beach, which is true - here they rake it up twice a day. There are caretakers constantly caring for the vast property. Golf courses are awesome - try them all, including Corales. Take a course guide/caddie with you - very helpful. The rooms are huge and vary slightly in each building. All views are stunning. Breakfast and lunch offerings are excellent. For "Foodies", don't get too excited when it comes to dinner. We sampled several restaurants in the area and they are all fine, but don't expect top-tier - but who cares, the place is awesome. All the staff whether at the lobby, restaurants, venues, golf etc are wonderful. Having consulted with some other guests, we were not impressed with the cocktails, so request how you want your drinks made. But bartenders are friendly and acommodating so we tried several drinks during the trip. (A gentleman came to the room before we checked out to inventory the mini-bar contents. We never used any of it, but there is a nice selection.) The wife used the spa services while I golfed and she enjoyed all her treatments.This is a fantastic high-end hotel/resort. Visit the Ecological area - it is an easy hike through the "jungle" - best around noon, and you can swim in 3 of the "pools". Very clear and they have fish and turtles in them.

Room Tip: Some are closer to the beach, others are not - but they are all beautiful and a short walk to beach...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Mr./ Mrs. Bethlehem,

Your sincerely,

Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club
vcalcerano@puntacana.Com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had the most pleasent experience at your wonderful property except for the last 30 minutes. While departing our room we were joined along with the individuals helping us with our luggage by 2 people from the hotel reception staff who swept through the room much like authorities looking for drugs or contraband. In the lobby awaiting our airport transportation we were timidly asked if we took the property's laundry bag and I said we did as there was no plastic bag in the room to accomodate our worn garments and I was not about to unpack to return the bag. I said do what you need to do and I would pay for the item, upon which I was charged $25 to my Amex. My wife was then asked where was the hair dryer bag as it was not in the room. She responded there was no hair dryer in the room when we checked in and we immediately called to have one brought to the room and when delivered it came with no cover. The whole experience of physically checking out was an embarrassment and an affront and could have been handled mush more discreetly or more appropriately nothing should have been said at all! I hope this review is helpful to your organization when future guests check out!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Mr / Mrs. Barry E,

Ref: Your comments 22/11/2011.
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced at the check out!

At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We deeply regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations in the last 30 minutes of your stay!

General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
Abraham Lincoln 960, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Been to Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club? Share your experiences!