“Excellent! Deserves all the accolades” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club

You added Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club to your Saves list
Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Cana | Altagracia, Higuey. Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
miami, fl
“Excellent! Deserves all the accolades”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I write this review a little bit late and felt in debt with T Bay. We stayed there in easter season in April, with my family, stayed in a beachfront villa. I ll try to make a long story short: this beach resort is a top notch, of the highest standards, very well appointed and most important, it has a really fantastic beach with pristine waters and white sands, very private since you share 500 meters of beach with just 12 or so villas. Our villa had a terrace that gave direct access to beach, so it was like having the beach as our own yard, no more than 50 steps from the villa doors. Having breakfast every morning overlooking the beach and its amazingly blue sea was quite an experience. Service is extremely attentive and food is good, altough I think it is a notch below the high standard of the service, accomodation comfort and beauty of the place. Another plus is that you have free access to the adjacent Punta Cana resort (close and easyly accesible by golf cart that is provided to every villa) which offers several attractions that your kids will love, like a petting zoo, horse riding, play area, a natural cenote lagoons area, and several sea activities like diving. I definitely will and want to come back, and one thing I am sure is that the level of relaxation and comfort that you can get there is unsurpassed by any beach resort I have been before, and believe me, i have been at some of the best resorts in the Caribbean. It can be expensive, but worths every penny. In a few words, if you want to have a fantastic family vacation at one of the most beautiful beaches where the beach is the main attraction, i almost can guarantee you won t find another place like this in the Caribbean. Really great

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront villa
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Tortuga Bay is paradise and my entire spoiled family would agree. Starting with the VIP airport service, where they take you you through a special way to bypass all of the lines coming and going frm the Punta Cana airport, to the two wonderful personal concierge staff members that they gave us for our stay that were a quick button away, eager to organize activities and reservations for our family during all waking hours.

The villas on the ocean are amazing, and while they are not the most luxurious that we have ever stayed in, they are extremely beautiful and perfect for a family with kids. The beach was pristine and private and the service could not have been any better. But the little touches were key to this extraordinary experience. From the moment we arrived, everyone knew our names. The entire staff could not have been more friendly and they were all amazing with our kids. There were bicycles for them to ride from our arrival and kayaks for them to play with on the beach, and there was always a delicious chocolate smoothie there when they wanted one. It is rare for a luxury hotel at this level to be so incredibly kid friendly.

On the last day of our 5 day stay, it was my birthday and our personal concierge totally out of her own accord decorated our room for my birthday. I was almost in tears, I was so surprised. Oh, did I mention that one of the golf courses that they had there Corales, had to be one of the most beautiful courses I have ever been on in my life? Not to mention tht the spa was great too.

I would go back to Tortuga Bay in a heart beat. There was something for everyone in my family tht made them feel special and this was a superb vacation.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

First, I'd like to say that I'm very blessed and take a LOT of vacations to some of the finest hotels and resorts in the world. We take on average 10 vacations a year and without any hesitation I would say that the Tortuga Bay Resort at PuntaCana is the finest hotel and resort in the world.

From the time we stepped off the plane, to the time we stepped back on, the service was above reproach and absolutely first class all the way.

Let's start with the VIP Airport service.
We were met at the plane by a representative from the hotel, were put on a golf cart and sped past all the other travelers to the building. No walking the 200 yards across the tarmac for people staying at Tortuga Bay. Once inside the terminal, the line at customs was around 300 people long... but once again, not for us. We followed our person to the left and went directly to the front of the line. We were through customs and in baggage claim in less than 5 minutes from stepping off the plane. Our bags were the first to come off, and 3 bellmen grabbed the bags and we were headed to the van. Within 15 minutes of getting off the plane, we were in the van headed toward the resort. All of this I found out later is ONLY for guests of the Tortuga Bay Resort. To sum it up, we felt like celebrities.

Once at the hotel, about 5 minutes from the airport, we were met by our Villa Manager, who took us directly to our villa. We had a 2 bedroom suite, that was less than 100 feet from the beach. To say the least, it was very big, and VERY nice. The place was decorated by Oscar De La Renta and he clearly knows what he is doing. Our Villa Manager explained everything about the resort, and gave us a phone to call her at any time, day or night with anything we needed. We had our own golf cart the entire time we were there, which is nice. Very impressive.

For dinner, we ate at the Bamboo Restaurant, which was fantastic. The food was very good, and I recommend it. For breakfast each day, we had room service bring breakfast and each day they set it up on our patio terrace. Perfect breakfast each day. Could not ask for a better setting.

The beach is, in a word, fantastic. We traveled in June, which apparently is the low season, which works perfectly for me. The first day on the beach, we were the only ones on the entire beach, with the exception of the beach staff who was there instantly if you put your flag up and would bring you anything you wanted. The bluest, calmest water I've ever seen. Truly a postcard. The beach water was in my opinion better than Hawaii, The Bahamas, or anywhere else in the Caribbean. Very calm, no waves, which is completely different than other parts of the island where the water and waves are very rough. The next few days there were other people on the beach, but never more than 10 at one time. The beach is long too, so you always felt like it was more of a private beach. If we had owned the beach ourselves, it could not have been more private. Perfect.

Any time we wanted to go somewhere all we had to do was call the Villa Manager and she would arrange for the driver to take us anywhere we want. We went to the Hard Rock Casino, which was about 40 minutes away. Nice casino and we won, which made it even nicer. When we were ready to leave, we just called the Villa Manager and she sent the driver back out to pick us up. Very nice. As a note, there is also a Hard Rock Cafe, but it is not at the Hard Rock Hotel. It's in a very nice mall called the Palma Real Shopping Village, which is a great place to shop on the island.

I would recommend taking your golf cart over to the Playa Blanco restaurant on the resort as well. We had lunch there and it was really good, and the setting, once again, was fantastic.

Golf. Played Golf at the Corales Golf Club, which was a phenomenal course. I've played the best courses in the world including every course at Pebble Beach, Trump National in Los Angelese, Pelican Hill, Kapalua in Maui and all of the top courses in Cabo San Lucas. The Corales Golf Course is one of the best courses I have ever played. The entire property there is not a blade of grass out place. The greens were fast and perfect, without a brown spot on any of them Perfect fairways, perfect greens and perfect setting. A lot of the holes are directly on the water, but even the ones that are not on the water, you can still see the water at all times. Love the contrast between the perfect green grass and the bluest water. The best part, once again, it's the low season, so I was literally the only player, on the entire course. If I had owned the course, I could not have been more alone. The only exception being the caddie, who did a fantastic job of explaining the holes, and letting me know exactly where to hit the ball and how hard. Shot a 79.

From a business standpoint, the internet was fast and worked very well. I am an Internet Entrepreneur and fast wifi is a must for me, and the resort wifi was perfect.

One thing that I would highly recommend is that you take the Nature Walk to the Spring Fed Lagoons on the resort property. It says it's a nature hike, but it's really a very nice path cut through the brush, to a VERY COOL lagoon. There is a nice wood deck around the lagoon, including a jump off about 8 feet above the water. The water is so clear that you cannot tell where the water starts looking down. Very secluded and very nice, and the water is nice and cold, which is nice after the walk. The entire walk is level, takes about 10 minutes and anyone could do it with ease.

VIP Airport Service Going Back to the Airport.
The Villa Manager finds out when you arrive when your departing flight is, and arranges everything. They let you know exactly what time they will pick you up at your villa, and they were there exactly on time. Took the bags and loaded them in the van and we were off to the airport. Once at the airport, we were met again by a representative, that took us past the line at the Airline Check In, straight to the front and within a few minutes of leaving the van, we had our boarding passes in hand. We were then escorted past the long line at security to a private area that had it's own metal detector, x ray machine etc. No line at all, and we were through security in just a few minutes. A note about the airport, it is an open air airport, so in June, it's hot. But not for us. We were escorted past everyone else waiting for their flights to a Private VIP Club, that was about 3000 square feet, was air conditioned, had leather couches, TV's a bar, private bathrooms and was really nice. Once again, we were the only people in this club. Imagine that there are hundreds of people sitting in chairs in the airport, sweating and being hot, and we are sitting ALONE, in a large air conditioned, very nicely decorated club, sitting on leather chairs, watching TV and waiting for the flight. When the flight was ready to board, we were once again placed on a Golf Cart and driven directly to the plane. Everyone else walked the 200 yards to the plane. We were on the plane 10 minutes before anyone else. Once again, we felt like celebrities, which I imagine is exactly who this hotel and the VIP Airport Service was built for.

Note: The VIP Airport Service is ONLY for people staying at the Tortuga Bay Resort at PuntaCana. It doesn't cost any more, it's just part of the experience of the resort. This ALONE is an amazing service and is reason alone to stay at Tortuga Bay.

Everyone and everything that we encountered the entire time we were at the resort was very nice and first class all the way. If you are looking for a fantastic vacation experience, then I would highly recommend the Tortuga Bay resort at PuntaCana.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
5th July 2011

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Wallace,

On behalf of team members of Tortuga Bay Punta Cana Resort & Club, thank you for taking the time to complete our guest comment form on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “Leading” Experience.

PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Tortuga Bay was outstanding. As others have said it starts with the airport VIP service, my wife said she felt like a rock star being met as we departed the plane and being whisked through the airport.

The hotel was excellent and service was great. We were there during the off season and it seemed there were more employees than guests. Everyone was friendly and nice. The room was great and the beds were extremely comfortable. We had an one bedroom oceanfront junior suite. It was great to walk right out to the beach.

The breakfast included at Bamboo was fantastic and service outstanding. We ate dinner at Bamboo and found it equally as great. Once at lunch my wife just wanted a plate of vegetables, no problem, they made up a plate of grilled vegetables. The staff was friendly and attentive, great service. We loved it there.

This is a great place to go and relax. The service at the beach was a little hit and miss. One day it was great, another day it was a little slow but otherwise it was great.

The golf courses looked outstanding. I wish I would have played a round, it's on my to do list when we go back. The courses were not crowded at all. It was fun to check out the area with the golf cars provided.

It's a fantastic five star experience with friendly staff who go out of their way to please the guests. We loved it and hope to go back someday.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
4th July 2011

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Gavin,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I just returned after 6 amazing days at this resort. The views are breathtaking from every spot on the resort. We stayed in a 1 bedroom oceanfront junior suite and it did not disappoint. The room was spotless, beautifully decorated, perfect location to Bamboo (restaurant) and the beach. The balcony was our favorite part. The view we woke up to every morning was picture perfect. We chose to have breakfast delivered to our balcony daily just to enjoy the view. Well worth the $10 delivery fee (breakfast was included)! The food was incredible. We had everything ranging from eggs, omelets, pancakes, french toast, huevos rancheros, bacon, ham, toast, etc. All perfectly cooked and delicious! We spent the afternoons just relaxing on the beach. Beach service was great, although we only ordered a couple of times (lunch one day too), Eziquiel never quit asking if there was anything that he could do for us. We tried all of the restaurants except La Yola. The night we planned to go there, we were just tired, but it did look incredible. We had lunch at La Choza (situated over the water). It was inexpensive, great food and the view was pretty and peaceful. We had the signature massages at the Six Senses Spa and definitely was a highlight of our trip. The beach and pool there are worth visiting. Lunch at The Grill was really, really, good and also pretty inexpensive. The view from the grill was amazing. We had dinner at the pizza place (forgot the name) at the Punta Cana hotel one night and got pizza to go one night from there as well. We ordered one of the salads, hawaiian pizza and a quesadilla and all were great. The service there was okay, but not the best. Maybe this is just because of how incredible the service was at Tortuga Bay. Still worth eating there, wasn't terrible, just not as friendly. Now the staff at Bamboo. They seriously are what make this resort special. We had dinner there twice and drinks at the bar almost daily (occasionally delivered to our room). What an incredible group of people. They truly want to make your trip special. We made friends with most all of them. We enjoyed just having conversations with them. Beddy was the BEST bartender! He was so incredibly nice to us. Such a great personality and went out of his way to make us feel special. He is the reason we visited the bar daily. Cesar and Luis made dinner extra special. So enthusiastic about everything. Dinner was excellent and we followed their recommendations. So glad we did. One of the times my husband walked across the way to get some beers to go. Cesar insisted on bringing it over for us. Again, wanted to give the best service. Luis would tell us the specials mid day hoping to have us eat dinner there. So glad we did. Victor is also great. We enjoyed talking with him. One of the days we accidentally got locked out on our patio (wind blew the door shut). We saw Victor walking by and told him what had happened and immediately he was at our door rescuing us. The staff at Bamboo deserve to be recognized. They are what made our trip memorable. As far as the villa managers, wow! They seriously would do anything we asked. We are not high maintenance people, didn't ask for much, but they did check in occasionally just to make sure there wasn't anything else they could do for us. They made spa appointments, dinner reservations, came over to take our picture on our anniversary and arranged a very special surprise one evening. Our bathroom was lit up with candles. Rose petals in the shape of a heart, candles surrounding, rose petals by the jacuzzi tub with more candles, bottle of champagne, and the sweetest note. Thanks to Giovanna and Virginia for giving us that special memory. They truly were incredible. Some other highlights of the trip. Ecological Gardens. A must see! This is one of the most beautiful natural things I have ever seen. It is a natural place which means bugs, lizards, etc. Not really my thing, but we did it anyway and so glad we did (just use bug spray and watch where you step). We went into town to have dinner at Mamma Luisa's in the village (resort has a free shuttle over to the village). We actually went there the night of our anniversary. Italian food was incredible, reasonably priced and the staff was extremely friendly! Having a golf cart was a big plus. We drove the entire property just to check everything out. The golf courses are just amazing. We didn't play, but if you enjoy golf, it is a must do. Everyone has commented about the VIP airport service and until you see the airport (on the return trip) you can not have an appreciation for amazing it truly is. I can honestly say that I don't know that I would want to visit Punta Cana without this service. The airport is pure chaos, yet you are whisked through when you arrive and depart like you are a celebrity and completely avoid the madness. We normally don't travel internationally with our kids because of customs and airport madness, but with this service we would seriously consider it. The people that provide this VIP service are so friendly and happy to do it. This is really how we felt about everyone at the resort as well. They genuinely want you to enjoy your stay.

Few negatives...The Punta Cana hotel/resort could use a little facelift. Just appears a little rundown in comparison to Tortuga Bay, which is sad since they share the same beautiful property. The gift shop was probably the most overpriced gift shop we've been too (it's not associated with the resort). That was disappointing as occasionally we wanted to pick up a different drink, snack, bug spray, etc. They had really cute stuff, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to pay that kind of money. We held out on buying souvenirs thinking we would find something at the village, but there aren't any kind of stores like that. We found out too late in our trip about the supermarket. We would have picked up some snacks and drinks for our room had we discovered it sooner. Also wanted to pick up a cheap float for the ocean, but the gift shop wanted $20 US for it. Crazy for a $4 float! There is a cute toy shop at the village if you are looking for stuff for little kids/babies. Some typical character toys and a few unique things as well. Last thing is that the sand in the ocean was rocky. It's not a big deal, but noticeable. If we had brought our kids with us, I would have made sure they wore water shoes to avoid hearing the complaints.

Way more positives than the few minor negatives. This resort is truly amazing. It is great for couples, yet family friendly at the same time. Most resorts you consider taking your kids to are so busy. This resort would have been perfect with our kids too, since you feel so isolated from everyone else and can let your kids truly play on the beach and not have to worry about a crowd. Our entire trip was perfect! Would return in a heartbeat. By the way, we've never taken the time to write a tripadvisor review!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
28th June 2011

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Pinson,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 10 amazing days at Tortuga Bay for our honeymoon. It was truly the vacation of a lifetime. From the second we stepped off the plane and were greeted by a staff member to escort us through customs, I knew we were in for a treat.

We had an ocean front junior suite and it was just perfect. Waking up to see the beautiful beach every morning was so amazing.

Throughout our entire stay the service was beyond incredible. Our villa manager Jennifer was always available to arrange dinners, spa appointments, etc. (the spa is the best...so beautiful...make sure you go AT LEAST once). The rooms are very nicely decorated and always cleaned promptly in the morning and at the turn down service at night.

The best restaurant is Bamboo, it's also the most expensive - but worth it. Playa Blanca and La Yola are also very very good. Don't waste your time at Franco's over at the main hotel unless you are craving mediocre pizza. The Grill at the the Golf Clubhouse/Spa is also very good (open for lunch only).

Beddy is the bartender at Bamboo and he is the best!

All of the staff are incredibly friendly and conversational but not in an annoying way. Breakfast as Bamboo is included and it is VERY GOOD. I was skeptical about ordering traditionally American breakfasts like pancakes and bacon, but they were some of the best I've ever had.

We golfed, played tennis, rode horses, rented bikes, etc and all were very enjoyable. The resort was not crowded at ALL - as in, a few times at dinner my husband and I were the only people at the restaurant. It was incredible.

If you are looking for a quiet, luxurious and absolutely beautiful place to spend a vacation then this is where you need to go. We hope to return again to celebrate an anniversary!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
20th June 2011

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Hagen,

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We have been traveling throughout the Caribbean for many years, and we have visited more than a dozen islands. After a short visit to Tortuga Bay, my wife and I unequivocally rated this resort the "best place we have ever been to" in this region.
By the time you read this review, you probably will have read dozen other narratives about this resort, so I won't duplicate them. You probably have also looked at their website, and we can vouch that it is one of the rare resorts in which the site truly depicts the reality. What were the reasons why we rated this resort #1?
1. the exceptional villas with an attention to details in construction, maintenance, furnishing and amenities that is truly rare in the tropics
2. the peacefulness of the place and small number of people: we went there mid-May, and we could spend time on the beach or on our terrace without seeing more than 10 people in an afternoon.
3. the exceptional service: from our arrival at the airport, to the check-in in your villa, to the service in the restaurants and bars and our return boarding of the return plane, the service was extraordinary, we were treated like royalty and the smiles and desire to help appeared genuine
4. the food was innovative and, what is rare in this region, most of the ingredients are locally produced/raised and very tasty. Portions are large and can be easily shared.
A small downside: the cost of wine and champagne was among the highest seen everywhere in the world... just try the alternatives: rum drinks and beers that were cheap. Perhaps this merely reflects a high taxation on imports.
In summary, it is an expensive resort, yes, but the quality of the service/product is commensurate to the price. If you are looking for a special trip for a special occasion or for tranquility or luxury feeling with the ease of travel - go ahead, you will not regret it. We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: a seafront room is a must
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
4th June 2011

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Olivry,

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club

Been to Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club? Share your experiences!