“5 star resort for sure!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #51 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
florida
“5 star resort for sure!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

Just got back yesterday and wanted to share my wonderful experience about the hotel. We are frequent travellers and have been in many beatiful places and resorts around the world. The RIU palace Punta Cana was the most impressive hotel I've ever stayed at. The service was excellent and resort is very well maintained. We tried some of the ala carte restaurant however by the 2nd day i realize the Don Manuel Buffet style restaurant was better because it had a wide variety of items including caviar one day of the week. The staff was very nice. It is a very quite resort compare to the other RIU which u can choose visit at walking distance. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The food, service
  • Disliked — not much access to buy souveniers
  • Tips/Secrets — they provide gallons of water
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

I just stayed (Mid Sep) in the RIU Palace Punta Cana for a week with my wife, we are in our late 20’s.

The hotel is gorgeous and its lobby it’s very impressive with its use of marble and very elegant decoration. Once you arrive at the hotel you know you are in a special place. Check in was very fast. We stayed in room 0045 which was very close to the beach and pool.

-- Pros --
Service: Very good service in every area of the hotel. From the ala carte restaurants to the buffets to the beach grill. It seems like every person working there always has a smile on their face. My room air conditioner was not cooling enough, I stopped by the lobby to report this issue and before I arrived at my room 2 technicians were already working on the problem.

Drinks : Top shelf drinks in all bar (Johnny Walker, Jack Daniel) and the bartenders will fix your drinks exactly how you like them. For most of my stay I drank Caipiriña with ½ sprite or 7UP and ½ rum. The wine and the champagne available in the bars are also good.

Food: This is a resort, so you have your standard resort food but some nights the buffet was very good. We really enjoyed the Caribbean night in the buffet. The gourmet Ala carte restaurant that we tried was very good. Had the tenderloins which were small but very good. My wife had the fish and was very happy.

Beach: What a beautiful beach, the sand feels like silk and the water is very clear. The beach current and the waves can be a little strong for a small child but not a problem for an adult. I personally prefer to hang by the pool.

Room: Standard RIU palace room. Looks just like the one in Cancun. Comfortable bed, nice balcony and spacious bathroom.

-- Cons –

Entertainment: Night entertainment can be pretty lame with the exception of the Michael Jackson show. But since guests at the RIU Palace have access to the other RIU hotels we just had dinner in the Palace and went to the shows in the other hotels. Kareoke in the Bambu on Sat was A LOT of fun.

Water: If you like to drink a lot of water bring bottle water from outside the hotel. There is a gallon of water that is stored in the small fridge in the room but it taste kinda weird and there is NO bottle water anywhere in the hotel.

Billiards: Not included in the hotel and it cost US$3 per game in the sports bar. Pretty much a ripoff.

Disco: A real meat market. I went there twice and both times they were playing Merengue music. A lot of locals and not really the place where you would take your wife. A lot of single people looking to hook up, but once again some people may consider that a PRO and not a CON…

SMOKE: Oh my good… I don’t understand how Europeans can smoke so much. Cigarette smoke seems to be everywhere, pool, bar, show area and people don’t care if there are small children near by, they still smoke. This specifically bothered me during the show because everybody is in a semi enclosed space. I mentioned this to the director as the only thing that has bothered me during my stay.

Japanese Restaurant: Don’t waste your time going there. I can find better Sushi in my local supermarket.

I will recommend taking an afternoon and having a photo session with Alexis the photographer from the Hotel and also taking and afternoon and walking to the little market by the beach (about 30 min walk)

• Liked — Service - Everybody seems eager to please the guests
  • Disliked — Smoke - Alot of people smoke and there seems to be no "non-smoking" section besides the restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — go to the little market to buy your presents
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sicklerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

My wife and I just returned from the new Riu Palace Punta Cana. Let me start with the bad stuff. They didn’t use real strawberries in their strawberry daiquiri’s. The pool water was too warm. They had no bottled water, just purified water and ice in cups at the bars and restaurants and gallon bottles in the room. Other than that, I couldn’t find any fault with this “FABULOUS” resort!!
Every room is a jr. suite or better with the in-room alcohol dispensers (rum, gin, vodka, whiskey), fully stocked mini-bar (beer, soda, juice, water), whirlpool tub, private balcony, satellite TV, etc…. I heard some folks complain about the hard mattresses, however, I never slept better in my life!
There are 6 restaurants, 5 theme (Italian, Gourmet, Japanese, Brazilian, Steakhouse) and 2 buffets (the buffet by the pool doubles as the steakhouse at night). For an all-inclusive, the food was excellent! Forget all-inclusive, THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT!! There was always a good selection of entrees and sides and a variety of deserts. One night they actually served “caviar’ in the buffet! That same night all of the ladies received “roses’ and the men cigars as the entered the buffet. I tried not to over eat, but it was hard. The service was excellent at all of the restaurants; there was always someone there to refill your glass or to provide whatever you might need. The ala-carts do require reservations (daily between 10am and 1pm. I never waited more than 30 seconds to a minute to make a reservation) and men must wear long pants.
There are 2 pools plus a kiddie pool. There is a bar in the main pool. It also has several Jacuzzi’s, a dozen (in pool) loungers and sitting areas with tables for your drinks or snacks. You can order from the bar or from the waiters who patrol the area. There is also waiter service at the beach for alcoholic beverages.
The beach is the “Best” I’ve seen anywhere!! The powder white sand is smooth to the touch and feels wonderful as it slides between your toes. There is an abundance of foliage for shade and plenty of lounge chairs to go around. The water is a beautiful aqua blue; it is cool enough to refresh you and warm enough to walk right into. The waves range from gentle to giant depending on the tide. You can definitely use a “boogie board”, however, you may have some trouble trying to lay quietly on a “air mattress”. My wife and I enjoyed jumping waves hours on end. For parents with children, there is a lot of topless sunbathing (most I’ve seen) on the beach and some also at the pool.
Like most “AI” resorts, there are plenty of water sports available, sailing, paddleboats, kayaks etc. You can pay extra for parasailing, scuba, banana boat et al. There are pool tables, slot machines, and air hockey in the “Sports Bar” along with “packaged snacks” (hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches etc.) if you get hungry late at night. There is also a casino and a disco on the complex (comprised of 5 resorts of which you have full access) accessible by shuttles leaving every 30 minutes. After jumping waves all day, I didn’t make it to either one!
The bottom line is, if you (like me) are looking for a “Great Beach”, “Strong Drinks”, “Great Food”, a “Extremely Comfortable Room”, and “Great Service”, the “Riu Palace Punta Cana” will provide that and much, much more.

• Liked — clean, friendly staff, pool bar, great beach
  • Disliked — no bottled water
  • Tips/Secrets — tips go a long way!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

I just got back yesterday and couldnt wait to post my review of this place after reading others for the past 3 months. I stayed here Sept 14 thru Sept 21. My room number was 2153. This has been my 3rd all inclusive vacation. Others were Iberostar Punta Cana and Barcelo Riviera Maya. I have vacationed alot in the past but usually rent condos or houses in Florida. Also I am single and travel alone.

First I want to say, some posts here suggest that Europeans are rude. I am from the U.S. and I think rude people come from all countries. I do not discriminate.

I used Gogo tours. All transfers were very smooth with no problems. They used Mercedes vans that were very nice. Pulling up to the resort, it is very impressive. At check in there was no line and immediate. I asked for a top floor room and got the 3rd floor. 4 is the top. Next I inquired about the phone card that you could buy in the lobby and use on the lobby phone. They said they dont do that anymore. They offered me to use a booth next to the front desk and charged 2.50 per minute. I made 2 short calls back to the US costing 6.00. I thought that was fair. Next they brought me to my room. It was extraordinary and very clean. Nice furniture and marble. Probably one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever had. However, I was toward the front of the hotel, close to the lobby, and had to really look hard to the right to see the water. Below was a access path that was made out of bricks that constantly carried employees with carts to and from the resort making noise. TV worked well with many channels in English. Nice jetted tub with shower and two sinks. Mini bar was stocked but the fridge in the room does not get cold. I iced down one of the sinks for cold beer. I did like the Brahma beer they had. Its a pilsner and is good when ice cold. Also one of the chairs on the balcony kept coming apart. The arm kept coming out of the socket. I used the other one. I did notice the hard beds. However the sheets pillows and blankets were wonderful!

My biggest problem with this place is there is no way to lock the front door to keep out the maids or drink re-stockers. The 1st night I was there I used the "do not disturb" sign and kept it on the door thru the next morning. I had breakfast and then went to the orientation with the Gogo tour guy. Came back to the room and got ready for the beach. I guess the maid didnt like the fact that I had the sign on the door the whole morning. Because, when they cleaned the room that morning she took the sign and left another "clean room as soon as possible" sign. Why would I need two of these??? The next morning I got up and to the beach early. I left a note for the maid to replace the do not disturb sign. She did not. After the day was over I came back to my room and my note was gone but there were still 2 clean room signs hanging on the door. I didnt do anything more about it that evening. The next morning at about 9 am, I was asleep and the maid knocked on the door. I said go away but she came right in and said HOLA, Oh your sleeping. DUH... Well after that I got up and took a shower. I was wearing a towel getting clothes to put on and then the drink re-stocker decides to come in.. I told him to go away. He asked "dont you want me to re-stock your fridge?" I said no and thought, not while I was naked. After going to the beach and getting back to the room, it had been cleaned but the fridge didnt get re-stocked. I went to the front desk that evening and requested I get the propper sign to hang on the door! They had one there after I got back from dinner. Also the next day, the re-stocker guy only left me 2 beers. I guess he didnt like me telling him to go away.

That was the only time they came in on me but I used my sign continuously. That doesnt keep them from yelling at each other outside your door waking you up at early hours. They could be quieter and not yell and slam doors at 9 am. After a late night, you want to sleep in, This is vacation right?

OK, enough of that, let me go back to some of the positives. The beach is one of the best I have ever been to. I like the shipwreck off the coast in front of the resort. The sand is nice with plenty of shade or sun whatever you prefer at the moment. I had nice weather every day with a little rain a couple of nights. The food for dinner at the buffet was pretty good. I did not like wearing long pants for dinner. If you went out walking at night afterwards, you would get pretty sweaty wearing them. I could not wait to put shorts back on after I ate. I tried to eat healthy, fish, veggies, etc. Breakfast was needing a little help though. The dishes of scrambled eggs were more like soup. Sometimes the bacon looked like it was still moving. I like mine cooked! I like hash browns for breakfast, not french fries. But I didnt really come here to gorge myself... I really enjoyed the sports bar. I did not pay the 3 dollars that it cost to play pool. I guess if it was free, nobody would get to play it would be too busy. Also one night I got there and ordered a margarita. very yummy... but when the bartender asked me if I wanted another, I sad no and switched to beer. I about fell off my stool when she took the lime from my used glass and put it back in the container where it came from!!! WOW! I didnt lick it so I guess it was OK. LOL! I did not try the 24 hour snacks that were in the fridge. Was too scared. I did try the slots in there for 20 bucks. They dont seem to pay out much but I was not suprised. Note, I was just in Vegas 2 months ago.

The first time I went to the pool, I burnt my feet walking to it. I figured out after that to wear flip-flops to the edge and then get in. It was too warm. I only used it only a little. I like the beach much better. Which brings me to another problem. I used a cooler cup at the beach to keep my beverage cold and plentiful. That was nice and worked well the first four days. The 5th day I went down and asked the pool bartender to fill it with diet pepsi, He looked at me and said "the problem with that is, we have people who deliver diet pepsi to you on the beach." I said it had not been a problem until now?? He proceeded to go ahead and fill my cup. Then said "salute". I made it to my beach chair to find he filled it with orange drink. It was OK but HE knew what I wanted! I thought this place is all inclusive? Can they not spare a cup of soda? I guess not since they recycle the limes!

Let me add that most of the people working her were very nice. I even tipped some of them. Just a couple of them took me off guard... I did not do any excursions off the resort. I figured I had payed enough to stay there. I did catch the Michael Jackson show at the Macao next door. That was good. The other shows I seen were back at my resort. They were good with the guests being participents. That was funny and made me laugh. However, one of the shows, they lip-sinked the whole thing. I did not make it till the end... pretty bad.

Something definatly worth seeing, is the view down the beach to the north. Its a good walk but well worth it! Take a left out of the resort and go until the bend in the beach. I just wanted to see what was on the other side. I made the mistake of not bringing a camera... very breathtaking with the mountains in the background!

I did buy a t-shirt in one of the shops for 10 dollars... thought that was a good deal. I did not try any of the ala cart restaurants. I wish I had but didnt want to deal with the wait that morning or have any schedule to meet. I was pleased with the dinner buffet anyway.

OK, on to leaving now. Yesterday morning when packing my suitcase, I noticed someone had broken the strap on top that carries another attached bag... This could have been American Airlines, but I did not notice it picking it up at the airport. The bus driver took it from me and gave it to the bellman at the resort. The bellman brought it to my room and put it on the shelf and it stayed there the whole time. Oh-well. This was only the second time I had used this suitcase, it was new! They obviously picked it up with the strap instead of using the handles. The plastic buckle broke and you know whoever done it knew they did it! Of course, they are not going to let you know.

When leaving I let the other bellman take my bag to store until my ride arrived. I only had a 30 minute wait. He may have rolled it a total of 20 feet for me but looked very dissatisfied when I didnt give him a tip! Also when I turned in my keys and pool card, the person at the desk just said "its OK". They could have said "thank you"???

Needless to say, I will probably go back to renting condos and houses in Florida.... I hope this post helps! P.S. The flight to and from Miami offers some very good views of the bahamas.. I took pictures from the plane on the way back!

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Door doesnt lock from the inside
  • Tips/Secrets — Walk up the beach and check out the view to the north
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

The actual experience surpassed any reviews that we head read before going out there - and the reviews were excellent.

The beach is perfect in the sense that the waves are just the right height to have enough fun the sand is soft and best of all are the numerous palm trees that provide a comfortable amount of shade and complete ambience.

Oh... how did i forget about the room. It was thrilling to walk in to such a large room - and it wasn't a suite or any kind of upgrade- just basic. We were overcome by how clean and brand new everything was and perhaps the best part was the all-inclusive bar - it isn't technically a bar, but it might as well be one. Take your pick from brandy, gin, whisky and rum not to mention the fridge that is packed full of beer and endless amounts of water!!! And it really is all-inclusive and so is breakfast in the room. Give the guy a small tip and he's happy.

If you prefer the pool to the beach then you won't be disappointed. Although we didn't use the pool it looked extremely nice.

As if we weren’t spoiled enough I explored a little bit around the immaculate grounds of the hotel and stumbled on spa that I can only describe as heaven on earth- it was absolutely amazing. I used the two large Jacuzzis, sauna and lounge chairs and found it to be a completely relaxing environment. My wife went there for massages e.t.c

Guys you shouldn't be too concerned about getting out of bed early to bag a good spot on the beach as there is plenty of room especially now that peak season is over. So relax and get breakfast in the room, or go to Don Manuel where breakfast is served from 7:00 till 10:30. Personally i found that coffee and croissants in the room early, then continental breakfast at the restaurant by the beachfront between 10:30-12 to be just perfect. Lunch is served at the same place from 12-5. In other words there is no reason to go hungry any time of the day.

Enjoy your trip.

• Liked — Hotel decor, beach, staff
  • Disliked — Everything is in German
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Central New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

My boyfriend and I (early 20s) spent a week at the Riu Palace Punta Cana from 8/30-9/05. After reading the reviews before I left, I was kinda skeptical and a little concerned. Overall, the hotel was great and we had a great time. Here are some details:
Rooms: We had a regular junior suite, and because it was an end room we had a double balcony. Yeah, the beds were a little hard, but I'm used to it and after spending all day in the sun there were no problems getting to sleep. The room is very nice, and new...I don't really know why anyone had any comlaints. The fridge was stocked with bottled sodas and beer, as well as the liquor cabinet. One night the bar service man stopped by and gave me a bottle of champagne as well as a couple of dominican gifts-very nice of him so we tipped him.

Pools & Beach: The pool was never too crowded, but it was like a warm bathtub. The pool bar made the aread reek of stale beer, but it wasn't as noticeable the further away from the bar you were. The beach was beautiful- the reason why you should visit Punta Cana. There was plenty of shade and chairs. Drink service at the pool and beach were a little slow, so I had no problem walking the 20 ft. to the bar to get my own drinks. There are lots of topless women at the beach and men in banana-hammocks, which you don't see much of here at the Jersey Shore.

Restaurants: From reviews, I was expecting the food to be inedible, which it wasn't. The food was ok, decent. Nothing amazing, but there was always something to eat. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. Lunch was served in either the main dining area or by the pool. I recommend going to the main room because there was a better selection. There were no problems making reservations for the specialty restaurants. I recommend heading there a few minutes before 10 am so you won't have to be at the end of the line. We ate the the steakhouse (it was ok, my least favorite of the ones we ate at), the Japanese (pretty decent- the sushi looked a little suspicous so I didn't eat it), and the Gourmet twice (this was pretty good). The food is definitely geared toward Europeans, and there were plenty of them there.

Entertainment: There was a show each night, and it was ok. Karaoke night was really funny- lots of Americans participated and it was a good time. There's also a live band playing in the courtyard which was nice. Walked down to Carribean Street one night, and there was some dancing going on, nothing special...and it was extremely hot there so we didn't go back.
** My only complaint is that besides the places to eat, there is no tother food available. We got really hungry between lunch and dinner, and after dinner. Last summer I stayed at the Iberostar in Riveriera Maya, Mexico and it was 24-hour room service. The Riu definitely needs something like that. The staff overall don't speak great English, but we both speak a little Spanish so we were fine. I would suggest brushing up on some Spanish before you go.

Excursions: We did the Bavaro Splash, where you can drive speedboats and do some snorkeling. It was a good time. Saw tons of fish. We also went on the full-day Saona Island tour. It's a long day, but the catermaran trip alone is worth it. Saona Island is really nice, the water was full of coral so you can't really swim, and it was so hot there that you'll want to sit in the shade. The next part of the trip is a speedboat ride to a sandbar to swim with the starfish. We were told not to dive because the water was only waist-deep. Someone didn't listen and dove in- ended up hitting his head and floating and no one noticed for a few minutes. By the time we got the man out of the water, he wasn't breathing but thankfully there were nurses aboard and gave him CPR, until he came-to. From there, we all booked it in the speedboat to the nearest hotel (which was about a 15-minute drive) so the man could be brought to the hospital. He possibly suffered a stroke due to his head trauma, and it was a really scary incident. We had to drive to the hospital in our big tour bust to drop off the other family members....it was a really long day, but everything before that incident was a great time.

This was our first trip to Punta Cana, and I would go back at some point. However, I don't think I'd stay at the Riu because there isn't food available between meals/after meals. Other than that, it was a really great time, so don't let the negative reviews scare you- go relax and have fun!

• Liked — New, beautiful, great beach
  • Disliked — Lack of food/room service, food wasn't great
  • Tips/Secrets — Learn some Spanish before you go
floridagirltravels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

Let me start off by saying that Punta Cana and the new Riu Palace are absolutely beautiful. This was my first stay at an all-inclusive and my first trip to Punta Cana. We really loved the resort. Our favorite thing was the swim-up bar. I also really enjoyed being able to visit the other Riu’s and going to Caribbean St. (In between Riu Palace Macao and Riu Naibo). Great little place to shop for tourist items.

The hotel staff was great. Everyone was so nice and friendly. They really went out of their way to make sure you had a pleasant stay.

If I were to find a complaint which is really hard to do with this resort is that after the first few days we were tired of the food on the lunch buffet. It seemed to be the same old stuff. They definitely need more lunch choices. Dinner was great. Our trip was short because we missed our flight (never using Spirit Airlines again).We only ate at two of the ala-carts, Sir Oscars and the Japanese, and two times at Don Manuel (the main buffet). Dinner was great at all places, but especially the ala-carts.

I didn’t do any excursions because of the shortened trip but my boyfriend tried twice to go to deep sea fishing. The first time it rained and the second time he tried the excursion didn’t pick him up.

All this being said, I really liked the resort but don’t think I would go back. Mainly because of the food at lunchtime (I’m really picky when it comes to food). Oh and the fact that no matter how much I drank (liquor-wise), I couldn’t seem to for lack of better word, get drunk or even tipsy. My boyfriend and I are light-weights when it comes to drinking and here in the states we are really good after only two or three. After 3 or 4 there, I felt no difference. Having never stayed in Punta Cana or an all-inclusive, this just might be the norm, but I am willing to take my chances at another resort and/or another destination.

• Liked — swim up pool bar; jetted tub in room
  • Disliked — lunch food
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!