“very pretty hotel, geared for Europeans” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #54 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
nyc
“very pretty hotel, geared for Europeans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

A girl trip two of us in mid 40's, we are accustomed to almost anything living in NY suburbs. so I want to give an honest review: we really did like the hotel, rooms were cleaned daily, in room fridge w/soda (pepsi, diet and 7-up stocked daily) spotless super clean, of course the hotel is brand new.
The food was good, different, we observed that the hotel guests were mainly from spain, thus the food was what you would be served in spain, Shrimp with heads, lots of pork, great green olives, terrible deserts all flan type. Yuck. (except for the donuts in the morning buffet they were great) A few mornings I had room serivce bring up coffee and fresh breads. that was good! the coffee was really good and it was everywhere. You did need to make reservations for the restaurants but it never took more than 10 min wait. One Good thing is we did not get sick. There was some top shelf liquor. Stoley vodka, beefeater gin etc. Oh yeah if you wanted something to eat after the buffet closed at night forget it., all they had was this ransacked sports bar with a glass door fridge with some sorry 1 slice ham sandwiches pasted with ketchup? and mystery meat burgers,with a do it yourself microwave (not worth the risk).

One thing that really shocked me was the smoking, I would refer to it as a smoke fest. The spanish guests were big on smoking and were very rude to boot. In fact my friend who was born in spain told me not to let any one know she was spanish because of the behaivor of these europeans. Culture shock! I had no idea that Europeans were such rude people. Never seen any of them tip either! You would be eating dinner and they sit next to you blowing smoke in your face. Also not a hotel for Kids, nothing for them to do, and if you do bring them FYI the floors are super slippery when wet, I witnessed quite a few falls, kids like to run beware they could really get injured.
So if you can deal with nasty bad mannered guests, an the fact that the hotel closes down at midnight, and has the same entertainment nightly ....the beach was beautiful and the pool was ok this may be the hotel for you.
I do not think I would return to PC, too risky with the water situation, Cancun is much nicer.

• Liked — beautiful and clean and no bugs
  • Disliked — lack of english spoken,
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Polish first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

Just would like to start off by saying that if you booked this resort and will be going in the future, you definitely chose the right place.
I just returned from a one week stay at the riu palace Punta Cana from august 26 2006 to September 2 2006. I went with a group of 9 people ranging from 2 years old to 45 years old and everyone had a great time.

We booked to stay at the Bambu but two days before our departure we were told that they were doing renovations so they had to UPGRADE us to the Riu Palace Punta Cana. We were definitely excited as we knew we were being sent to a better hotel.

DRIVE: The drive was about 30 minutes from the Punta Cana airport. We were with sunquest so as soon as we got off the plane we were directed to a large bus that took us straight to the hotel. (If this is your first time going to Dominican, don't let the drive to the resort scare you away. The view on the drive to the resort is definitely not nice. It is a third world country and therefore is very poor, yet as soon as you pass the gates into the riu, it is PARADISE.)

CHECK-IN: As soon as I entered the palace, it was like nothing I had ever seen before in Dominican Republic. It definitely is a palace with big chandeliers and beautiful scenery everywhere. From the lobby there is a big stair case which brings you right down to the court yard. Upon seeing the lobby, I was already satisfied. Check-in happened very quickly. We were welcomed with drinks and sent up to our rooms right away. (There are bell boys at the hotel that will try to wait by your luggage’s to bring them up, but even though tips are included, they usually expect a tip so we carry them ourselves.)

ROOMS: The rooms are very clean and beautiful. The mini-bars filled with water, pop and alcoholic beverages are given. (Replenished daily by the maids) Every room at the palace is a suite and therefore it has one side with the bed and then a couple steps going down with the couch and television. The room had a swan with flowers on our bench which was beautiful. It was definitely the cleanest room I had ever been in. No bugs or dirt at all. From the shower to the beds to the sinks, everything was nice. We did not have a courtyard/pool/ocean view room. We were placed on the outside of the palace, yet we still had nice scenery of the palm trees. We also had a view of the riu bamboo rooms from our balcony.
The only con about the room would be that the mattress is a little bit too hard. Also, I would suggest that you throw away the flowers given on your swn. Although they are pretty, they may create insects after a while.
Another wonderful thing is that when you leave the room, it is not a normal hallway. It is another balcony type with palm trees in the middle.

GROUNDS: The grounds were lovely. Every piece of land on that resort was well maintained. There are workers grooming the place 24/7. Even the walkway from the courtyard to the beach was kept so clean. The courtyard has fountains and palm trees everywhere. It also has a large area with tables just to relax. In the courtyard, there is a band playing every night and people are able to dance. Also when you are seated at the courtyard at night time, orders are taken and drinks are constantly served to you.

BEACH: The beach at riu palace is crystal clear blue water and definitely paradise. It has white sand and a shipwreck right in the front of the resort. In order to get this clear water, you must stay to the south side of Dominican such as here in punta cana or la romana. (Do not go to Puerta Plata if you are expecting Caribbean blue water).
Cons: The water here is a little bit wavy, therefore it is not that good for snorkeling and the waves sometimes take away from the clearness of the water. Yet, with the waves, it is still paradise. Also, there are palm trees everywhere for shade.
*Never a problem finding a beach chair in the morning. I was down at the beach by 9am and there were always many available.
**Beautiful cabana on the beach to get married at**

POOL: The pool is like every other. It is just what you need. There is a pool bar, lounger chairs in the water, seats and tables for your drinks located in the water (pretty unique and convenient) The water is about four feet deep all around. There is also another circular pool just meant for relaxation with chairs along the outside. That is a quieter and much more relaxing pool. The pool was cleaned every morning. It was maintained okay but obviously never in absolute perfect condition. It was clean enough though. There were a few bees floating on top of the pool by the end of every day, yet that can’t be controlled. The pool was always kept pretty warm.
Also there was never a problem finding a chair by the pool. Half of them were always empty and the resort was pretty full at the time I went so there is definitely enough chairs for the amount of guests.

ENTERTAINMENT: Always games during the day, aerobics in the pool, dancing lessons, volleyball on the beach etc…
At night the band in the courtyard is pretty good and there are shows put on every night. They do get a little bit repetitive as the whole week I was there they were all tropical types of dancing shows, but they are fun to watch. Apparently they were doing a karaoke show the night I left so that should have got the audience involved. Butin terms of the week I was there, there weren’t any shows where the audience could participate. The people who put on the shows definitely worked hard to put on a wonderful performance.
The animacion team is great. The always want to get everyone involved in the games daily.

SERVICE: WOW!..I rate the service at this resort a 10 out of 10. I definitely was treated as if I were royal the entire week. All the staff are there to satisfy your every need. Obviously there is the language barrier as they speak Spanish, but some know English and try their best to understand you. From the waiters to the bartenders to the cleaners, reception desk, etc. they try to make you have a pleasant stay.
I was also surprised in how the servers would come around to the pool and deliver drinks all day. I know this is done at other resorts, but not nearly as much as the riu palace.

EXCURSIONS: Parasailing $85us for 2 people and that’s consists of 10 minutes in the air.

FOOD: Food is pretty good. So many people go to these resorts with extremely high expectations and complain about the food, yet the food is good. The buffet is a little bit repetitive therefore I would break it up and add in some a la carte restaurants. The restaurants I tried consist of the following. ---The Italian restaurant was very good. Japanese was even better. The Brazilian restaurant, La Bodega, was Okay. They served every kind of meat, so if you like meat, I would recommend this restaurant. Reservations for these restaurants are either at 6:30 and 8:30/9:00
The snack bar was located in the sports bar. It was not too good. They basically have hot dogs and hamburgers in the fridge which you could warm up in the microwave. That was the only bad part about the food. Yet, it did not really bug any of us as the buffet was open pretty late so we just went there if we were hungry. Also, there is a pizzeria which opens at 12am located at Caribbean Street.

SHOPPING: There is the Caribbean street for shopping which is like a 10 to 15 minute walk past the riu bambu and the riu palace Macao. A walk way will take you through all these resorts and then end at Caribbean Street. Caribbean street is okay, yet not really worth walking that far as there are some stores located right next to the pool at riu palace punta cana that consist mostly of the same items.
In terms of the vendors that you could bargain with, some come to the resort in the courtyard and set up little booths at night time. This occurred twice in the week I was there. Also, if you are up for a long walk on the beach, you can take a 30-45 minutes walk to the right side of the resort. You must pass all of the rius and then also pass the iberostar resort. After this, there are a whole bunch of vendors with jewelry etc. and you can bargain with them a great deal. (It is a pretty far walk though, especially in the sand and the heat)

CHECK-OUT: Check out was at 12pm and our bus was not coming to pick us up until 5:30 pm, so they made us keep a couple rooms in order for us to keep our luggage and freshen up before we leave. (No Extra charge and no hassle at all)

OVERALL: I have been to the Dominican Republic 5 times now and this is definitely the nicest place I have been too. Nothing can compare to the rooms, the service, the cleanliness, the food, the beach and the pool. You definitely feel like you are in paradise at this place. If you have any other questions, you can email me at babygurl4u_29@hotmail.com

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milton,Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

We visited the new Palace in Punta Cana the week of Aug 19-26/2006. I had read many reviews about this hotel, and must say they were very mixed, so we went with concerns. Such as, the food was horrible and unless you were willing to tip you were going to receive awful service from the bar as well as the restaurants. I have to say my girlfriend and I were pleasantly surprised that none of that is true. There was very little tipping for the bar or restaurants, most of the tipping happened when one of the staff climbed a palm tree to retrieve a coconut, and the cost was 1$ american. We were told we could stay at one and eat and play at 5. This isnt exactly true. You can play and eat and drink at all but not at the other Palace. The food is very good, even though there was food items that we personnally didn't eat, we never came away hungry. To make reservations for the a la carte restaurants make sure you get in the line up before 9:30 a.m., as seating is very limited. I will tell you one thing the staff are very eager to please, they are so friendly , I didnt want to leave, as they all said they would miss us more than we will miss them. Would we return? The answer is a definate yes, the only property that I would stay at would be the new Palace. It will be magnificent once the palm trees grow and the growing pains are over. They are doing very well for being open just a short 4 months. Do yourself a favour and book yourself a bit of paradise.

• Liked — The friendly staff!
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed...too hard
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

Previous reviews have covered most of the topics so I will try to avoid repetition.

Check in was fast, I asked for two rooms near each other and close to the beach and got exactly what I asked for. I found the front desk to be fluent in English and also fast response to any requests when called. Do check the drink bottles in the room refrigerator upon arrival as there may be some opened ones left from the previous occupant.

Food: We have stayed at countless all inclusive's, the food here was better than average, not great, but something for everybody at the buffets. There was a line each morning for making restaurant reservations but we just strolled in before 1pm and got the steakhouse one night and the gourmet another, no waiting in line. We all felt the buffet was just as good or better than the restaurants. We were all very careful to not eat uncooked vegetables and unpeeled fruit etc. and for the most part we did very well with only minor stomach upsets. Cappuccino machines at the bars and buffet! Our friends had room service a couple of mornings for coffee and fruit. The bars provided us with bottles of Wine, Champagne, tonic, extra limes or whatever we wanted to take back to our room or to sit poolside at night.

Water: A gallon of bottled water was delivered daily to the room, the ice machines were safe with treated water as was the water from the soda machine dispensers. I brought a drink bottle and just filled it at the beach bar or buffet as needed, so lack of bottled water was no issue for me.

Service: About the best we have ever had. We all were met with many smiles and "Hola". The staff went out of their way to play with the toddler. Most all the staff spoke some English, but there were times where my limited Spanish ability came in handy. Our small tips here and there and gifts of crayons and pencils and such for their children where very much appreciated.

Entertainment: The animation team sure do give it their all, but they are not professionals. I don't know why the Michael Jackson show got a good rating, I thought the skill of the dance moves in the Grease show were much more entertaining. Those were the only two shows we saw and they were in English.

Gym/Spa: Just okay. No free weights in the Gym. The "Jacuzzis" were cool water and had no jets. I had two wonderful massages by Favia.

On a side note, there are mostly non English speaking guests, so if you speak only English and prefer to meet people on vacation you might be lonely here. And those Europeans don't seem to wait their turn in the buffet line either, so get ready to have someone cut right ahead of you. All the languages got by very well on the volleyball court!

• Liked — Awesome staff, new hotel, beautiful beach with lots of lounges and shade.
  • Disliked — Oddly, no dedicated beach/pool bathrooms.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
Bergen County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

The hotel grounds are beautiful and spotless. Just what one would expect at a brand new hotel-lots of marble and crystal chandeliers. This is by far the nicest Riu in Punta Cana. We took a walk to the Macao (I thought it looked run down and doesn't hold a candle to the new Palace and the Bamboo looks even worse.) We had a beautiful room facing inside the courtyard with a view of the pool and the ocean. In my opinion it is definitely worth the $100 for the room upgrade. The food is average but you can definitely find things you will like. This is an all inclusive, and the food is fine, but if you are expecting gourmet food, then you will be disappointed. There are not many all inclusives anywhere with really great food. The Riu is a european hotel chain so they really cater to their european clientele and Americans are in the minority. A lot of Germans, French, Spanish, and many topless women both at the beach and at the pool. They advise you to not drink the water (even though the hotel water is purified) but they do provide you with a gallon of purified water in your room fridge. Contrary to another poster here, all one had to do was leave a note for the maid and a new, fresh bottle of water was restocked whenever one asked for it. (I got a new bottle every day) You don't need to go to the store to buy anything here. Also, one does need to wait in line for the gourmet restaurants and this is at 10 AM, not 8:30 as another poster complained about. You should get in line around 9:30 and you really don't wait for more than 20 minutes or so. I did this 3 times and met some very nice hotel guests each morning while waiting in line. But don't expect the food at these restaurants to be any better than in Don Manuel (the buffet restaurant). The atmosphere is lovely and you are served so it makes it a little more special. I can't say enough good things about the staff at the Riu. They work really hard, and always have a smile on their faces. This staff works very long hours - 6 AM to past midnight each and every day. They work for 14 days and live at the hotel in staff quarters, and then they get 3 days off to visit their families. Yes there is a language problem, most don't speak very much english, but they try very hard to understand you. And anyway we are in their country so we should try to speak their language. We didn't have any problems at all but did see some very arrogant Americans who think the world revolves around them. No, they don't have chicken fingers for children (this is a european resort and only American kids eat this) but they do have french fries and at least 3 kinds of pasta each night. My daughter is a very picky eater and found plenty of things to eat. We tipped the staff every day (bring lots of singles) and they really appreciate it. Most of these people only make $150/month and work so very hard. But I didn't see nearly enough people tipping, even in the gourmet restaurants after being waited on hand and foot for over an hour-these people deserve your tips. The drinks are better in the lobby bar than at the pool bar. They wil make you almost anything you want and the frozen drinks are really good. Don't forget to tip your bartenders too! I would definitely recommend this hotel and would go back again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hurricane Eduardo doesn't do much damage-looks like it's headed right to Haiti/Don Rep.

• Liked — Brand new sparkling clean rooms
  • Disliked — Food
  • Tips/Secrets — Tip the staff they work really hard!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Wheeling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

This new hotel is just beautiful, the lobby and check in area is just breathtaking. One of the most luxurious that I've seen. Service was great at check in, very fast too. We arrived late, so I was surprised.

The room was clean as was the entire resort. The first day we were there it rained so I spent the day on the balcony - at one point I spilled my bottle of 7up and cleaned it up with a bathroom towel and the towel was as white as it was before my mess, definitely cleaner than my own house!!! Unbelievable. The room looked like it had never even been slept in before. The safe was missing the lock and the extra blankets for the bed were still in plastic. The same night we checked in they were able to fix our safe, within 10 minutes which was great. My one and only complaint was the "24 hour" portion of the All Inclusive was lacking...sure you could get drinks anywhere, but as I said we checked in about 9pm and the only food they had for us was some hot dog and hamburgers in a fridge waiting to be microwaved or burnt popcorn. Other than that one complaint everything else was great.

I've done All Inclusive hotel's before and I don't expect much when it comes to food, but let me tell you other than the micro-dogs and burgers the food was great. They had 5 reservation only restaurants and 1 dinner buffet and 2 options for lunch buffets. In fact the large buffet even had lobster one night and a turkey dinner another- never seen that before! (and it was good)

Of the 5 reservations only restaurants we were able to try the 3 that interested us, ( and you have to be there right at 10am to make your reservation!). We tried the Brazilian (don't go if you don't like meat!) but it was great..., the Italian (best cheesy lasagna ever!), and the Steakhouse (wonderful !) - and like I said the buffet was even a cut above the rest - the meats were moist and you could cut them with a butter knife. And the choices for dessert - yummy every night! Fresh fruit was readily available like most Caribbean hotels.

The beach was large and spacious, plenty of beach chairs and lots of shade for those that don't want to cook in the sun. The other Riu properties are a short walk up the beach, if you want to check out Caribbean street or the Casino at the Riu Palace Macao.

Pool area was very nice, no real "kiddy" section in the pool, could be a downer, but your on vacation relax!

There was a spa on property, but didn't use it, I couldn't have been more relaxed didn't need a massage.

Punta Cana is definitely a kick back and relax type of place, not too many tours available, but Apple Vacations does an awesome job filling you in on what to do and be careful of and what to expect in general during your stay. They were readily available if you ever needed them. My travel agent was great because we knew exactly what to expect even before we got there, we always book thru a travel agent and recommend everyone to do the same...they know what's happening.

• Liked — Gorgeous beach, clean rooms, great food
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Tips/Secrets — Tip the housekeeper daily - don't drink the water
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Sicklerville, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace from 8/17-8/23.
The entrance to the hotel makes it seem as if you are arriving to a palace. It was very nice!
The hotel lobby was enclosed and air conditioned, which was very nice. I have never been to a resort in the DR or Mexico where the lobby was air conditioned. Considering the weather was very hot outside, this was a very welcomed treat.
No welcome drink was offered, but the lobby bar was near.

The check-in staff was very helpful. Considering this is a new hotel, I do not like the fact that you actually receive keys to your room. I asked for a second key for my husband, and received it because I didn't want to be restricted to just one key for two adults.
Also, having a key for the safe is insane. I would much rather have a safe with a code. Now you have people trying to be responsible for a key to the room and safe. Who thought of that idea??

Room: The room was nice. Air conditioner worked well and I am glad it did since the weather was hot and very humid!!

Had a hard time receiving face towels even though the hotel had them. Even when we asked the maid for some they never returned with them. Only after we called down to the front desk, did someone return with them.
It was only during the last two days of our trip that a new maid, Minerva, supplied everything we needed, even the face towels without having to ask. Minerva was the best!
The liquor dispenser was a nice touch and our room was stocked everyday.

Food: The food was not spectacular, but you could find something to eat everyday. The buffet had the same staples: fish, beef and chicken everyday. There were always some decent sides to go along with the meat.
My husband and I thought it was strange for the men to wear long pants to a buffet, but it was strictly enforced. I had never been to a resort where the men had to wear long pants to a buffet. I can expect it at the speciality restaurants, but the buffet??
I only went to one speciality restaurant, The Gourmet, and it was just okay.
The dinner reservation system was odd. You had to make reservations the day you wanted to eat at a speciality restaurant and you could not make a reservation in advance for another day. That was quite annoying.

Staff: The staff was quite helpful and many spoke English, so communicating was never an issue. The staff always spoke to you and they were friendly.

I did tip a few times while at the bar, but not many people did. I figure if you receive good service, then it is fine to tip if you choose to. The choice is yours.

Beach: The beach was nice and you could always find somewhere to lay out. There was a nice breeze at the beach, so that was the place to be.
My husband and I did parasailing at the beach and it was nice.
If you wanted other activities like crafts, you had to go to the other Riu hotels for that. They seemed to have a lot more activities at the other Riu hotels.

Pool: The pool was smaller than I expected. It was never crowded, so I guess it was not an issue.

Entertainment: The nightly shows were good. They did not have the Michael Jackson performer the week I was there, so I was just a bit disappointed. Otherwise, I thought the shows were entertaining.

Nightlife: Everything shut down at the Riu at midnight. I thought that was quite strange. If you wanted any action, you had to go over to the other Riu's. They seemed to be more lively and have more activities. The only thing open past midnight at the Palace was the sports bar. I thought I was at a retirement home.

Overall, I thought the Riu was a nice place to visit, but there was not much about it to make me want to go back there.
I would go back to the Dominican Republic, but I would try another hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!