“Beautiful beach! Resort disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #54 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Leedey, Oklahoma
“Beautiful beach! Resort disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The resort is nothing special and we were treated rudely by all the staff over and over again. Every one of them acted like it was a chore to answer questions, take a drink or food order, or any other possible normal assistance a resort guest might ask for or about. And yes, we did tip the staff. After this experience our thoughts were if this is how resort staff treat guests in Punta Cana we won't be back. We have traveled to Cancun several times, Mayan Riviera several times and to Cozumel twice and have always received good, if not very good service. Since this trip in May 2014. we had family members talk us into traveling to Punta Cana again, March 2015. We stayed at the Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa and let me tell you, that staff knows how to treat their guests!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

We visited for 2 weeks in March .. Upon our arrival we were not greeted by a representative . We were promised a beverage upon entering . We were not given . When we finally received our key for the room we proceeded to the room where we saw on the hall wall our room number it was inside a short corridor with 2 doors on either side unmarked. I opened the door on the right there was clothes in the closet and men's shoes by the bed . The room was clearly occupied . I returned to reception and informed them what had happened . The reception informed me I was wrong that my key did not open a rented room . We went back and discovered we were in the "other" room in that short corridor now I was afraid because the key I had for my room opened the opposite room I believed that key for the "other" room would also open my door back down to reception . They argued with me that it was "impossible that my key would open both doors .
It was again tried by one of the bell boys where he confirmed that yes indeed my key opened both doors .. To my knowledge none of this was resolved.
We felt afraid and checked and double checked that our door was locked whenever we were in the room .
We were robbed right out of the safe .. Again we were told that this was impossible .. But clearly it was indeed possible since we were both cleaned out of cash from the locked safe ..
Management was uncooperative ..
We were the victims of robbery .. Yet made to feel like the offending parties because we suggested it may be someone who had access to keys to safes ..
I reported it to our rep he was just as uninterested ..
After the room key incident and the robbery safe I felt unsafe and marked.
These incidents dampened my view of any other possible positives regarding food , beach , etc ..
I'll never return . Nothing was spectacular .. The courtyard is beautiful but not enough to return and subject myself to these abuses.
My thoughts ....don't go .

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I've stayed at a a few resorts for vacation, but this place far exceeded my expectations. The people at the resort were very kind and generous with their time, smiles, and service. If you ever have an opportunity to visit the Dominican Republic, I recommend staying here.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My fiancé and I were looking for a adults only all- inclusive resort so we chose this property.
Pros: very clean grounds,
Mature but entertaining,
Great pool/ocean view suites,
Nice pool,
Nice separate pool for swim up bar,
Friendly / helpful staff,
Fast and pleasant check in/check out service,
Not too far from excursion destinations,
--------
Cons: can be too relaxed
Pool looks larger online also it closes early (no night/evening swim
Hotel and swim up bar has bottom shelf local wine spirits(was a little disappointed)
Must get oceanview... Our original booked room was facing the central air component,
FOOD!!!!! BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
THEY OFFER RESTAURANTS BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE A RESERVATION 2 -3 DAYS IN ADVANCE.. And they still have a very very very limited menu.. Any other questions just ask

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mtl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Staff very pleasant and always willing to help
Junior suite superior was very clean, large balcony I had room 2066, view of the water fountain.
Best beach in bavaro
Entertainment was good and every night at the courtyard, enjoyed dancing and the live band ends around midnight. if looking for a quiet room best closer to the beach.
Service amazing
Waiters at beach
Food many variety for all types. Enjoyed Krystal and the steak house.
Travelled with husband and 2 kids age group 10 and 12.
Buffet breakfast pastry was good, coffee and mimosas.
Great family vacation, kids stayed with us, did not see or try kids club.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just got back from a great trip to the Riu Palace Punta Cana. Wasn't sure from reading some reviews but we really enjoyed it. Not sure what some people expect... Perhaps it helped that we had amazing weather all week. It was kept very clean and the grounds were immaculate. Agreed the rooms aren't brand new, but we enjoyed the great water pressure, lots of hot water and a nice balcony to have an evening drink on. Drinks were replenished daily! We kayaked out to the reef and sailed on the Hobie Cats (all included) in the amazing warm breeze. We enjoyed long walks along the beach. Other than walks and para-sailing, we didn't left the resort. The teenagers made lots of friends playing beach v-ball. They had dance lessons and fun games at the pool for all, but also quieter areas with palm trees where you could read a book and have a dip in the ocean to cool off or have a drink that the friendly waiters brought around the Palace beach all day. The food was really good with 5 restaurants, 2 buffets at lunch and room service. They had a barbeque one day and different themes. Wine was just OK for us as we like wine. The staff were great and the entertainment was really good with dancing in the square to live music and good shows after dinner in the theatre. Wifi in our room was good - downloaded paper onto tablet each day. After a day of unwinding after arrival I was really able to chill out and relax at the Palace.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What an amazing location, my wife refers to it as “Paradise”. From the moment you step foot in the French renaissance lobby, you can feel the difference. The staff are welcoming and no need to worry, they speak perfect English, they are helpful and understanding. The room we occupied was simply put, perfect. The bathroom was very clean, the bed was truly comfortable and the service quick and efficient. The outdoor facility, from the beach, swimming pool and bar were all very nice and the staff are quick to assist. The clients washroom are clean and well maintained. The pool was not overly chlorinated which is a nice change, especially since we attended during March Break and there was a lot of people. The hotel has multiple restaurant which will cater to almost any taste. The international restaurant has a variety of food, all of it very tasty and well prepared. The Japanese’s restaurant was phenomenal. The choices on the breakfast menu is such, that you will not get bored with the “same thing” every day. Snack bars and sport bar, offers a variety of choice late during the afternoon so save some room after lunch and you will not be disappointed. We strongly recommend this oasis of peace in the Dominican Republic.

Room Tip: A garden view is worth it. Guys, trousers are required for dinner and reservation are mandatory for...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!