“Excellent resort, excellent location, very nice and helpful staff , definitely will visit again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana

Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #56 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We are just back from our holiday.
Presiously we have read the reviews about the hotel here, and to admit we were a bit worried as read a lot of bad reviews.
To clarify it the hotel was brilliant , our room was nice and clean at all times, the staff was very helpful and we had a brilliant stay. :-)
Next year we definitely will be back to this hotel.
The food was nice, the main buffet restaurant (don manuel)was the best.
We did not visited the other restaurants, only the Italian one.
All in all those who wrote bad reviews complaining about the rooms, the food etc.... I dont even know what they expect, if this hotel was not good for them they should go to the Hard Rock Hotel that might be good enough for them but of course that will be 3x more expensive too!
Also there was a review about the minibar was not filled regularly, especially the alcohol part.
Lets be clear there are 4x 0.75l selection of spririts , also beer in the fridge among other soft drinks and water.
It is not enough "alcohol" only those who have serious issues !
Somebody said all the sprits gone on the first couple of days and nobody changed them- honesly speaking i would not have changed them too !!!!
All in all we recommend this hotel to everybody who wants to have lovely time with affordable cost! Please dont forget the tips for those hard working staff!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Polish first
Lockport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

4th time in Punta Cana since 3/2013. This hotel falls a little short on updates. I was surprised to get a key for both the room and safe. I haven't carried a traditional key in so long. I did not like that I had to put the cylinder in the safe. That is crazy!
The room was very nice, no complaints. When I called for extra towels, they were so fast!
Top name alcohol if that matters, and the food was great!
The best things were the beauty of the Palace, and the staff. Every person there aimed to please!
Animacion was fun, and night shows were amazing. Ray does a great job working with all of them.

Room Tip: Get a pool or beach room. Don't settle for less
Niagara Falls, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I've been to Punta Cana 4X since 3/2013. The Riu is beautiful, but falls a little sort in the modern updates. Room and safes need updated so you don't need to carry traditional keys. It would have been nice if the beach seaweed area was raked early in the morning so it was clean at some point. Just picking it up by hand, does not make it s nice as some of the other resorts I have been to.
The food and drinks are top of the line, we were vary happy with that. Shows and entertainment, all good.
Your staff is truly amazing. They go out of their way to smile, greet and really take care of everything. It's wonderful to go away and be treated so well. Your animacion team, so much fun! Ray does a great job pulling everything together.You should be very pleased with all of them!

Room Tip: Get a pool view. I did not have a view of anything but the trees ad side of another resort.
Burlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Just visited this beautiful resort. Check in was quick and we were in our room within minutes of arrival. While some people found fault with the food we certainly did not. The quality and variety was excellent. There was a different carving station each night. We went to the Italian restaurant and the service was extremely slow. One restaurant required both long pants and long sleeved shirts for men. The staff at the hotel was very engaging and their service was excellent. We especially wanted to mention Wilson who was everywhere and greeted everyone with a smile. The beach was beautiful, covered in Palm trees of various sizes. We could always find chairs under the shade of these trees. The water was clear with a little seaweed left over from a recent storm. The sand was white and always groomed. Our only complaint was roving groups of young boys with instruments who would send the youngest boy, often about six years old, onto the property to dance suggestively and then beg for tips. Since all of the groups were similar I assume that there were adults at the other end taking the money. It was sad to watch this about four times a day. The hotel does not try to sell you time shares or vacation clubs which was a nice change from other resorts we have stayed at. We spent little time at the pool but those who did could also get chairs and umbrellas. Our room was pretty and always clean and well stocked with drinks and towels. There were always activities for those who wanted them

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Riu Punta Cana during the last week in June 2014. We were greeted graciously by very friendly staff. We had a problem with our room and to thank us for our patience, the staff sent a bottle of champagne to our room that evening. For those that are chemically sensitive, we were not able to tolerate the cleaning solutions they used in the rooms. We asked that our room not be cleaned for the week, but to have it serviced with clean towels, mini fridge, etc. They complied and followed what we needed. The pool was a bit dated, but clean and charming. We used the pool bar every day and the service was always with a smile. Other reviews said to bring your own containers for the beach drink servers. We never got liquor at the beach, but we never needed our own containers for the pool bar. Their drinks were heavy on the serving of liquor in them and were delicious. Miss that pool very much!
Wonderful stay, price was right, food was out of this world and the staff was pleasant, English speaking and friendly. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard view room and it was a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I visited this hotel with a group of ladies to celebrate a 30th birthday of a friend. Let me first say that I did not select the resort since I had heard so many negative things about it to start with, but in keeping with the budget for all attendees in the group we stayed here.

I visit Punta Cana very frequently, and this was my third time to DR in the past 6 months. Generally, I stay at the Excellence or Punta Cana Resort, but this time I stayed where the group consensus was.

The only good thing that I can say about the resort is that the staff seems to be friendly. Although sometimes the male staff members were "TOO FRIENDLY". For example, I was asked (almost harassed) by male staff members as to whether or not I would be going to the disco on the resort later that night because they wanted to dance with me. The flirting coming from some of the male staff members was so intense and downright uncomfortable at times.

The rooms were filthy, and no matter how long I laid out wet items they never dried because the room was too damp. The ventilation system did not work and there was a disgusting mold/mildew smell in everything in my bag when I got home simply because it was in the room.

The food was the most disgusting food I have ever eaten at a resort. I ended up trying to survive on fresh pineapple and plain white rice for the 4 days that I was there. We went to the Steakhouse and my lobster was complete mush. It had no texture to it and tasted like burnt chalk. I ordered a steak cooked medium and it came out with full on blood dripping off the plate. I almost threw up.

On the last day I was supposed to be advised when the shuttle was coming to take me to the airport and no one ever told me. I ended up having to take a taxi even though I had already paid for the airport shuttle. I felt as though the people were treated like cattle at this place.

I would never, ever, ever, ever (how many evers can I type here)...stay at this resort again for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. Stay somewhere else
Panama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Many of you who has been there might think this is a great hotel, considering the huge open buffet they are offering and the big area the hotel is covering. I tell you what, it is bad. The food is bad, service is bad, actually nothing is good about this hotel. The rooms are smelly. We asked for a change twice. The buffet food is horrible.
Please do yourself a favor and do not plan a trip including this hotel.

Room Tip: The villas near the beach must be nice, but they are also expensive.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple