“Don't do it!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #53 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Don't do it!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I went in October 2013 with my friends. The first thing you should know before going is that you are 45 min from Hati. I have been to several carribean islands and will never return even if it was free. Like everyone says in there review every room has a musty and mildew smell that never goes away. The problems are the rudeness that u encounter from the women specifically we were told that Dominican women don't like American women. Being at an all inclusive resort we were refused reservations at the specialty resturants. I had to talk to a manager to get reservations. Make sure u lock up everything my friends phone got stolen. The beaches and excursions were the positives and relatively cheap. We were told by Delta Vactions representative at the hotel that we should only book things through him and he was upset when we didn't and tried to make us cancel reservations and spend more money with him.. After politely putting him in his place he backed off... This actual resort is defintly for a more mature retired crowd . The only thing to do safely after 10 pm is the club and the casino. The food was mediocre at best a lot of coconut infused foods and poorly cooked food... This place has nothing on jamacia pick some where else if I were u

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Polish first
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our 1st night was a very bad experience... How worse can it get. 1st the tour agency had us wait at least 1hr for the next plane & another couple to arrive to ride d van. 2nd upon checkin we were given a hotel & no bell boy around that we walked up to 2nd floor with our luggages, only to find out our room is not ready till about 30-mins. So we had to walk back down with our luggages for a new room. 3rd the soda fountain by la altagracia is filled with bees that as my husband filled his cup & drank, he got stung by a bee in his mouth. 4th the towel card they give u for pool use is useless, for as we got there we were told no more towels left and if we want a towel, we walk back to our room to get a white towel from our bathroom. 5th we got a 2-bed instead of 1queen and the other bed had no comforter. 6th the inside of comforter was filled with short hair & not of ours. 7th seriously they still use literally a key & not a key card. 8th the safe was weird & didn't look safe at all. 9th for room service, avoid the cheesecake!!! ... Good side, beach & pool was amazing. The buffet dinner was good. Looking forward to d specialty restos.

• Stayed November 2013
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This resort has positives and negatives. Firstly, the food is great! I was there last new years and on new years eve the buffet was full of lobster, shrimp and other items you dont typically see at your average all inclusive. They really went above and beyond that night with the food. The entertainment is good overall, with some night shows better than others. Pool is nice and there is always activities on the pool and beach. The one thing I did not like was the decor of the resort. I found it to be dim and a bit blah for a carribean hotel as I prefer bright colors and trees. I found the rooms to be a bit outdated as well, especially the washrooms. I was there with a family of 20 and felt it accomated us well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was recently here this October and had the worst experience and would never recommend to anyone. Outdated rooms smell like mildew and are continuously damp. My entire suitcase smelled like the mildewed room. The food was consistently bad, whether eating at the restaurants or buffet it's the same choices. I'm actually shocked i didn't get food poisoning. The service was the worst part of this entire resort. Traveling with a group of girls in our 20's we were constantly harassed and cat called by waiters and bartenders. At one point one waiter who we had asked to leave us alone prior took at as far as touching one of our faces. After we told him that was not okay and to not touch or talk to us he proceeded to call us baby and mama and pretend everything was okay. Upon telling management nothing was done. I could go on and on with the horrible experiences att his resort but I'll sum it up by encouraging anyone looking to stay at this resort to go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kanas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Beware the tiny casino off the side of the bar has a game called super keno or super roulette. It is a scam, you will think your going to win because you will get close to the 100 points you need to win the jackpot relatively quickly but you will not win and you will lose a lot of money. I did. I lost $2500 and if I had more I would have lost more...yea, I got sucked in. This hotel knows of this and allows this for that reason I will not ever use a riu again. You may say, well it's your fault, and yes your right but for the hotel to knowingly allowing a game such as this is not right. The food at the hotel is ok but not great for sure. The people and service is great! The diving is poor. If your going anyway, take the atv tour that stops at the beach and where they make cigars and coffee.
Do not gamble in the Dominican Republic it is not regulated and if you think odds are not in your favor in the states, well guess what.
I've always liked Riu hotels but I'm done. They're not ethical and there are many others to choose from.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have been to many different Riu resorts and so far I love Riu Palace Punta Cana the best!!!!! They were so welcoming when we first arrived making our stay great from day 1! My husband and I both were thrilled with our stay and we had an amazing time! The food was great, the staff was great, the entertainment was great, the activities were my favorite by far!!! There were so many different sports and games to participate and we met so many wonderful people while doing so.

We spent most of our time on the beach and the beach was exactly what it looks like in picture, white sand and bright blue warm water! The weather is perfect! Another great thing is that you can utilize all the other Riu resorts, which we did!

We normally try to travel to different locations around the Caribbean but we are planning a trip back to Punta Cana because of our experience with Riu. This time we are traveling we a few other couples and would certianly go back to Riu and would reccommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We've spent our holidays in this hotel in summer 2012. The rooms are beautiful and modern. The staff is really nice and they help you wherever they can. The food was so much better than we expected. So many different things and everything was so good! I think we all gained about 5 kg in 3 weeks. The whole hotel looks very good and is well beeing taken care of. The beach is beautiful and we've spent the whole time there . The pool did also seem to be very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!