“Good!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Mississauga, Canada
“Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This resort has positives and negatives. Firstly, the food is great! I was there last new years and on new years eve the buffet was full of lobster, shrimp and other items you dont typically see at your average all inclusive. They really went above and beyond that night with the food. The entertainment is good overall, with some night shows better than others. Pool is nice and there is always activities on the pool and beach. The one thing I did not like was the decor of the resort. I found it to be dim and a bit blah for a carribean hotel as I prefer bright colors and trees. I found the rooms to be a bit outdated as well, especially the washrooms. I was there with a family of 20 and felt it accomated us well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

2,609 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was recently here this October and had the worst experience and would never recommend to anyone. Outdated rooms smell like mildew and are continuously damp. My entire suitcase smelled like the mildewed room. The food was consistently bad, whether eating at the restaurants or buffet it's the same choices. I'm actually shocked i didn't get food poisoning. The service was the worst part of this entire resort. Traveling with a group of girls in our 20's we were constantly harassed and cat called by waiters and bartenders. At one point one waiter who we had asked to leave us alone prior took at as far as touching one of our faces. After we told him that was not okay and to not touch or talk to us he proceeded to call us baby and mama and pretend everything was okay. Upon telling management nothing was done. I could go on and on with the horrible experiences att his resort but I'll sum it up by encouraging anyone looking to stay at this resort to go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kanas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Beware the tiny casino off the side of the bar has a game called super keno or super roulette. It is a scam, you will think your going to win because you will get close to the 100 points you need to win the jackpot relatively quickly but you will not win and you will lose a lot of money. I did. I lost $2500 and if I had more I would have lost more...yea, I got sucked in. This hotel knows of this and allows this for that reason I will not ever use a riu again. You may say, well it's your fault, and yes your right but for the hotel to knowingly allowing a game such as this is not right. The food at the hotel is ok but not great for sure. The people and service is great! The diving is poor. If your going anyway, take the atv tour that stops at the beach and where they make cigars and coffee.
Do not gamble in the Dominican Republic it is not regulated and if you think odds are not in your favor in the states, well guess what.
I've always liked Riu hotels but I'm done. They're not ethical and there are many others to choose from.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have been to many different Riu resorts and so far I love Riu Palace Punta Cana the best!!!!! They were so welcoming when we first arrived making our stay great from day 1! My husband and I both were thrilled with our stay and we had an amazing time! The food was great, the staff was great, the entertainment was great, the activities were my favorite by far!!! There were so many different sports and games to participate and we met so many wonderful people while doing so.

We spent most of our time on the beach and the beach was exactly what it looks like in picture, white sand and bright blue warm water! The weather is perfect! Another great thing is that you can utilize all the other Riu resorts, which we did!

We normally try to travel to different locations around the Caribbean but we are planning a trip back to Punta Cana because of our experience with Riu. This time we are traveling we a few other couples and would certianly go back to Riu and would reccommend it to anyone.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We've spent our holidays in this hotel in summer 2012. The rooms are beautiful and modern. The staff is really nice and they help you wherever they can. The food was so much better than we expected. So many different things and everything was so good! I think we all gained about 5 kg in 3 weeks. The whole hotel looks very good and is well beeing taken care of. The beach is beautiful and we've spent the whole time there . The pool did also seem to be very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Me and my partner (26&29) stayed two weeks in this hotel. We had seen the reviews and was a little apprehensive about the hotel. When we arrived, check in was smooth and simple and was given a room on the 2nd floor facing the back side of the hotel. It was quiet apart from some noise on the corridor of our room from other people getting to theirs. Slept really well. No bugs, as long as you keep your bug blind closed from the balcony. There was a bit of a smell in the room but after a couple of days you didn't notice it. The air con was good and was so happy for it after been outside in the heat. The bathroom in the hotel was clean, a few tiles missing but apart from that it was a nice big room.
The pool and beach where amazing. Because it was so hot, I went into the pool to get a drink from the pool bar, there was a lot of wasps around there because of the sweet drinks but they dont bother you. There was a few tiles missing in the pool but I didn't care really. The entertainment staff are friendly and cheeky and love to dance and make a fool of themselves. The beach is connected to the pool side. There is shelter from palm trees which is nice. The sea is soooo warm and really nice and clear :)
Me and my partner thought that the food was really nice and didn't get sick from the food at all! All the al le cartes where nice apart from the Japanese. Stay away from that one! We didn't have a problem booking the tables for the a le carte restaurants.
If your looking for a day trip, I would recommend outback safari! It was brilliant. Please see my review for this.
Nothing more to report. Please don't be put off by the bad reviews. It's a nice hotel!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the back side of the hotel- not a great view but its quiet.