“Second time around and even better than the first” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BIRD 2016 DEALS
Ranked #56 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
mississauga, ontario
“Second time around and even better than the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is our second time in two years at this hotel. I must say found it even better than the first. What makes this hotel the way it is besides the beautiful setting and beach is the staff. We were treat amazing by every staff member we encountered. The room we had was perfect granted the beds are a little hard but oh well. The housekeeping lady we had for the full two weeks Maxima was great room totally cleaned and sheets changed everyday beautiful flower arrangements daily fridge stocked with water pop and beer never went without. We did leave her a tip daily and she so deserved it.

How people can complain about the food is so beyond me there is definately something to eat for anyone even picky eaters cant complain. The waiters in the main buffet and and the beach are fantastic always had our table everyday with flowers and in the morning mamosa lunch white wine and dinner. They go out of their way to please you and make you comfortable. All the guys who work the bars are friendly and so funny and also the managers . My husband planned a special surprise for me and went to the general manager who made it amazing for us a special dinner that he booked and when we went back to our room balloons, champaign on ice and special little gifts it was beautiful thank you so much hope im spelling it right Neelis you made our day.

The beach is out of this world we were there everyday and yes there are vendors but a polite no grasias and they leave. We have stayed in this complex five times once at the new Bavaro Palace twice at the Bambu and twice here and this is my favorite the only thing that irked me was these towel people I swear its so aggrivating they have six chairs saved by the pool and six at the beach and then still dont show up so annoying . All in all a fantastic two weeks with great people and fantastic staff we will def. be going back any questions please feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the complex are great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Let me start with the good before I scaEntertainmentne away. Check in and service desk very helpful; moved us to a different room, no question asked. Grounds and beach just beautiful. We tried 4 of the restaurants, just OK food but you will find something to your likeing. Room service..... if you like nachos because that's all they got. (Funny 'cause we tried to ask for other stuff like cereal and they kept saying no but they have nachos). Room cleaness no complain there, clean towels in abundance. Water not potable so that's where we encountered another problem....they keep you at a minimum minibar wise(tipped the guy on the way out the door and as a result didn't leave anything), every other day I kept calling service desk to bring water but lesson learned b4 we headed to the room we grabbed 2 bottles from desk.
Overall good family atmosphere, decent
Entertainment and after all you are on vacation and you can overcome some inconveniences, but the mattresses are terrible after only 2 nights my entire body was aching and ended up sleeping on that pull out couch they got. I swear I had "insomnia" the entire trip.
One more thing, take some change with you since tipping will take you a long way.

• Stayed July 2013
New jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this resort for 5 days 4 nights. Very happy with the price my friends and I paid for. Rooms were cleaned and well maintained. All of the restaurants had delusions food. But Nothing can beat the buffet one. The one thing I have to complain about is the fact that there were no beach umbrellas. One have to rely on the palm trees for some shade. So bring a big hat .)
I most certainly will come back and will recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013
Cape May, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The trip was good took me a couple days too unwind and people watched All and all I enjoyed myself, was never pressured for tips ,was always waited on with a smile.my only complaints were the big pool with bar was very dirty, at times foam would circle in the corners.Their was a pool guy I guess he was, he would come with a broom and swish it around. Gross! As well the music was played over and over no up to date songs . I stayed mostly at the round pool it was nice and clean. I had three dinners at the specialty spots they were okay, nothing to brag about.
the breakfast was a bit easier for me,lunch same almost everyday rice beans some werid looking pork or fish,we ate a lot of bread and French fries and beans. drinks were ok waterd down . the shows were ok funny but ok.We did not leave the resort. we met some nice people,from all over the world. Our favorite was a couple married for 33 years from argentina. so in love and dance very nice. The room was okay thank goodness my daughter bought a candel to get rid of the musky smell.All in all I relaxed laughed, got a great tan, been home for two days and am still stuffed from all the rice and bread. oh the coffee was great poolside. staff very likeable always with a smile. on a scale 1-10 a 6.

Room Tip: take some can tuna,, cereals, cookies etc....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Upstate, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Palace May 28th - June 4th, 2013 with 6 of my girlfriends. I know long reviews are tiresome to read, so here is the good and the bad of the Resort.

Good:
1. Resort was beautiful. Loved the landscaping, layout, beach and pools.
2. Drinks were great, depending on where you got them from. Pool bar, not so good. Bar area's, much better.
3. We loved the La Plaza area at night. Sitting outside listening to music, having drinks.
4. We loved the Dining Staff!
5. Beach Volleyball. We played just about every day and met great people who would join in and want to play as well.

Bad:
1. You had no idea what was going on at the Resort most of the time. You had to figure this out yourself. The Front Desk should have a quick orientation on what is going on each day and night and where to go to find this informaiton.
2. Themed Restaurants. We did 3 out of the 6, and only liked 1. The problem with the themed restaurants is that reservations are either at 6:30pm or 8:00pm. So you are either leaving the beaches and pools early to get ready for an early dinner, or eating very late. We gave up and just ate at the Buffet after this.
3. Buffet food not labeled most of the time and you would guess at what you were getting. Variety of itmes not too great.
4. Wi - Fi. Ha, ha, ha, ha. Good luck with that one!
5. On our last day, we had a Cockroach in our Room. Gross, gross, gross! My Girlfriends noted that they had found them in their room as well along our stay. I am thankful that ours didn't show up until our last day, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep!

We would absolutely travel to Punta Cana again, but I think we would pick a different Resort for our next visit. For our first stay, for the price, we were overall pleased.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a very beautiful property. Great beach. The first day we (group of eight) ate at the steakhouse buffet for lunch when we arrived. The food did not look but after a muggy day had to have something. I started feeling sick to my stomach within 1 day of eating the food there and I am still suffering the effects. Lab test done last week was positive for E.Coli 0157:H7 !! I don't eat beef so that wasn't the cause. Do not eat at the restaurant closest to the beach & pools. The main buffet and Japanese restaurant were much better. Now I have to have my kidney function monitored. It's hard to enjoy a vacation when you are running to the bathroom and doubled over with stomach pain. Visit a doctor ASAP if you start to feel sick here.

Casino was a joke. Spa services were rushed.. (visit dates 6/13/13-6/17/13)

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same so you can't go wrong with your room selection however th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Beautiful beach, bad hotel. Bad food everywhere in the resort. My kids and husband got sick. Horrible, horrible resort. Room service is a joke. 2 options: a pathetic sandwich or stale nacho chips with processed cheese sauce (and I'm not exaggerating). Those were the only room service options! Why is this rated 5 star? Why? Huge waste of time and money, and now I have sick children. I'm so mad and feel completely duped!! I'm disgusted.

• Stayed June 2013