“Very good all inclusive resort.. Highly recommend it” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #52 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
New jersey
“Very good all inclusive resort.. Highly recommend it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed at this resort for 5 days 4 nights. Very happy with the price my friends and I paid for. Rooms were cleaned and well maintained. All of the restaurants had delusions food. But Nothing can beat the buffet one. The one thing I have to complain about is the fact that there were no beach umbrellas. One have to rely on the palm trees for some shade. So bring a big hat .)
I most certainly will come back and will recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013

2,606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Polish first
Cape May, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The trip was good took me a couple days too unwind and people watched All and all I enjoyed myself, was never pressured for tips ,was always waited on with a smile.my only complaints were the big pool with bar was very dirty, at times foam would circle in the corners.Their was a pool guy I guess he was, he would come with a broom and swish it around. Gross! As well the music was played over and over no up to date songs . I stayed mostly at the round pool it was nice and clean. I had three dinners at the specialty spots they were okay, nothing to brag about.
the breakfast was a bit easier for me,lunch same almost everyday rice beans some werid looking pork or fish,we ate a lot of bread and French fries and beans. drinks were ok waterd down . the shows were ok funny but ok.We did not leave the resort. we met some nice people,from all over the world. Our favorite was a couple married for 33 years from argentina. so in love and dance very nice. The room was okay thank goodness my daughter bought a candel to get rid of the musky smell.All in all I relaxed laughed, got a great tan, been home for two days and am still stuffed from all the rice and bread. oh the coffee was great poolside. staff very likeable always with a smile. on a scale 1-10 a 6.

Room Tip: take some can tuna,, cereals, cookies etc....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Upstate, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Palace May 28th - June 4th, 2013 with 6 of my girlfriends. I know long reviews are tiresome to read, so here is the good and the bad of the Resort.

Good:
1. Resort was beautiful. Loved the landscaping, layout, beach and pools.
2. Drinks were great, depending on where you got them from. Pool bar, not so good. Bar area's, much better.
3. We loved the La Plaza area at night. Sitting outside listening to music, having drinks.
4. We loved the Dining Staff!
5. Beach Volleyball. We played just about every day and met great people who would join in and want to play as well.

Bad:
1. You had no idea what was going on at the Resort most of the time. You had to figure this out yourself. The Front Desk should have a quick orientation on what is going on each day and night and where to go to find this informaiton.
2. Themed Restaurants. We did 3 out of the 6, and only liked 1. The problem with the themed restaurants is that reservations are either at 6:30pm or 8:00pm. So you are either leaving the beaches and pools early to get ready for an early dinner, or eating very late. We gave up and just ate at the Buffet after this.
3. Buffet food not labeled most of the time and you would guess at what you were getting. Variety of itmes not too great.
4. Wi - Fi. Ha, ha, ha, ha. Good luck with that one!
5. On our last day, we had a Cockroach in our Room. Gross, gross, gross! My Girlfriends noted that they had found them in their room as well along our stay. I am thankful that ours didn't show up until our last day, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep!

We would absolutely travel to Punta Cana again, but I think we would pick a different Resort for our next visit. For our first stay, for the price, we were overall pleased.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a very beautiful property. Great beach. The first day we (group of eight) ate at the steakhouse buffet for lunch when we arrived. The food did not look but after a muggy day had to have something. I started feeling sick to my stomach within 1 day of eating the food there and I am still suffering the effects. Lab test done last week was positive for E.Coli 0157:H7 !! I don't eat beef so that wasn't the cause. Do not eat at the restaurant closest to the beach & pools. The main buffet and Japanese restaurant were much better. Now I have to have my kidney function monitored. It's hard to enjoy a vacation when you are running to the bathroom and doubled over with stomach pain. Visit a doctor ASAP if you start to feel sick here.

Casino was a joke. Spa services were rushed.. (visit dates 6/13/13-6/17/13)

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same so you can't go wrong with your room selection however th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful beach, bad hotel. Bad food everywhere in the resort. My kids and husband got sick. Horrible, horrible resort. Room service is a joke. 2 options: a pathetic sandwich or stale nacho chips with processed cheese sauce (and I'm not exaggerating). Those were the only room service options! Why is this rated 5 star? Why? Huge waste of time and money, and now I have sick children. I'm so mad and feel completely duped!! I'm disgusted.

• Stayed June 2013
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked through Thomson to arrive at the Riu Palace Punta Cana on the 12th June through to the 26th. I can truthfully say that me and my partner had a amazing time here at this beautiful resort. On Arrival we were blown away by the front of the hotel, it looked just exactly like a palace and the lobby was beautiful also. We were a little sceptical about the reception staff due to previous comments but they couldn't of been more helpful and polite on arrival. They gave us a speedy check in, WIFI passwords, a welcome drink and even though we aren't smokers, two free cigars! Our rooms was just the standard double and it did the job fine. Yes there was a musty smell when we arrived but after the first day it had gone! Open the doors and stop moaning, your in the Caribbean! The minibar was restocked daily and the optics every two days. The maids did a fabulous job of cleaning our rooms and leaving lovely towel art for us to find everyday. The food was really good, breakfast awesome! Lunch and dinner was always fine for us.. for the people who say the food is awful and they couldn't find anything, you must be very very very fussy! There was a massive variety of different foods to choose from and all nice quality. We booked 3 of 5 speciality restaurants, the Italian, steakhouse and the Krystal. Would only recommend the Krystal and Italian. The Steakhouse, I have to be honest, not good! We ate at the buffet most nights and Mario looked after us every night, he was so lovely and had a table ready for us every morning, lunch and dinner, absolutely loved him!

Room service I wouldn't recommend anyone bother with, there's about 3 things on the menu and they don't rush when bringing it either. The beach was amazzzing, white sands and turquoise seas. Spend at least a week on there and loved every minute, the pool guys are really attentive when bringing you drinks either on the beach or round the pool! We did a couples massage on the beach, that was $60's each, well worth it, would recommend. The entertainment was okay, the guys are really cool and it was hilarious watching them all dancing round the pool, really funny.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Palma Real Shopping Center at different times everyday. There is lots of shops and places to eat like the Hard Rock Café (Went there twice, Brilliant). Make sure you ask reception as our rep was crap and didn't tell us and we found out of the couple we met out there. Also take crème for mosquito bites, we got bitten rotten, mostly in the evenings.

For the people who say this place is full of roaches, I didn't see one or even a bug for the whole 2 weeks only mosquitos but only at night. Maybe we were at a different part of the hotel? No idea?

I would give the hotel grounds, architecture and staff 5* most definitely. The reason why my overall score was 4* is because of the following.. The pool and the infinity pool were really mucky, twice we had to pull chunks of peoples hair out and put them on the side, gross. Lots of tiles had fallen off around the pool and it looked really tired. The Premium Alcohol they boast when you book doesn't come out unless you ask, and ask and ask again for it. My partner is a big big Jack Daniels drinker and numerous times after asking for a 'jack and coke' they brought it, it was not jack. Luckily we met a couple who go every year to the Palace Punta Cana and they know all the staff so once we were with them (which was most of the time for the last week) we got premium alcohol. This isn't good, why promote your business as offering premium brands if you don't want to give it? Very deceiving.

One thing I will say is this place is full of Americans who are gobby and love to complain and complain and complain some more. After a week we were sick of them screaming to each other instead of just talking although they were only sat 2 foot away from each other. no need. We found a spot with 4 other British couples, who felt just the same. Guess that's just Americans for ya, just wish they took into account that other people are on holiday as well, not just them!

Overall

Would I recommend this hotel to anyone else? Yes
Would I return to this hotel in the future? Yes I would.

We loved our stay and although a few minor let downs, it wouldn't stop me from returning. Loved every minute, Your holiday is what you make of it, if you go thinking everything is going to go wrong, it will! Enjoy your holiday and relax!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the courtyard Request a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Cumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Riu Palace Punta Cana is so beautiful! Upon arrival we were blown away at the appearence of the resort. I have family in Santo Domingo, DR so I have visited the island before. The Riu resorts in Punta Cana are very safe, this is not true for some of the other resorts (some are right off of the main road and have security men with guns).The beach is very clean and the view is beautiful. The restaurants are great but you need to go down at 8am to reserve a restaurant. My favorite restaurants were Krystal and Yokohama... my husband loves the italian restaurant and the steakhouse. The drinks are very good and not watered down... they are usually a little too strong! Some of the reviews state the room was musty... our room was a little musty but it comes with the territory because it is always very humid there. I bought a travel size Febreze and sprayed the room... then it was fine! The rooms are smaller than pictures but very pretty and clean plus who goes there to stay in your room. Our bed was very comfortable not too firm! The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to help! I would highly recommend this resort!
I would also recommend the Outback Safari... it was the best day of our trip. It is very informational and fun! Remember to take you swim suit!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!