“Wonderful holidays in paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #53 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Perth, Australia
“Wonderful holidays in paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked 7 nights in this resort, after reading all the previous reviews we weren't expecting any luxury, just wanted to relax and enjoy our first trip to the Caribbean.
First impression was wow! Reception has a beautiful deco that makes you feel that you're in a palace. While checking in we were offered a non alcoholic drink by a waitress, that made us feel welcomed.

Our room was on the second floor facing other resort, not a big deal, we weren't going to spend time in the balcony. It's true about the musty smell in the rooms, but it's nothing that would kill you. Rooms are big, we are not into spirits but you can tell that the bottles of the mini bar are refilled. The only beer available is the local one (presidente), but the shops in the resort have corona and Heineken for sale.

Make sure you put the sign "do not disturb" on the door unless you want a housekeeper knocking on your door at 9am!

After 6pm another housekeeper will knock asking if you need extra towels ( during our stay we had 6 big towels and we were only 2!) which is good.

Spanish is the official language in Dominican Republic, so don't expect to have 90% of tv channels in English. Some reviewers just like to complain about those small things.

Buffet food was good, it has a big selection, if you don't like anything from there then you're a fussy eater or should book your holidays in a super luxurious resort.

We tried a few restaurants, skip the Brazilian one, waste of time. The Steakhouse was our favourite, meat was cooked to perfection and the seafood starter was delicious.

The beach is beautiful, clean and water was warm. We never had any problem finding a spot, same around the swimming pool.

Entertainment was good, aerobics at the swimming pool was fun.

Our flight was at 7pm so we checked out before 12pm but we were allowed to out our bags in the luggage room and we enjoyed the afternoon in the swimming pool after having lunch.

In case you get a slightly diarrea, you can get Imodium in one of the shops in the resort.

• Stayed May 2013

2,776 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Reading through the reviews and I was surprised by so many complaints. We were there for 5 days and had a great time. It was what I expected.

Food- We didnt go to the restaurants because we didnt want to bother with reservations. We ate at the buffet and were totally fine with the selection and quality of the food. Honestly I think the only way you could be so offended by the food is if you are exceptionally picky. If you are a "foodie" and expect every meal personally prepared JUST for you, or you are an adult with the palate of a 10 yr old Otherwise I cant imagine not finding something you could eat given the huge selection.

Room- Very well decorated and clean, fully stocked bar, with soft drinks and water. The bed was a bit hard, but no real complaints. TV with channels in English and the free wifi were welcomed comforts.

Beach- Very nice & clean, plenty of chairs GREAT weather 85 degrees with a breeze, very comfortable for laying on the beach and reading, or getting in the water. There were a few beach vendors but they weren't pushy or disturbing at all. The "drinky drinky" guys kept us well fueled on rum. It's very European, so Americans you may see someone in a speedo or a woman sunbathing topless, so check your Puritanism at the door.

Pool- We didnt spend much time in the pool area (I can swim in a pool at home.) Towards the end of the week it became very "Spring Break-y" when a large number of American HSers showed up. They virtually lived at the swim up bar and were loud. The pool does close at 7PM so the rowdiness didnt go into the night.

Excursions- We only did one. It was a bit hap hazard, but that seems to be the Dominican way. It allowed us to see the real DR, which is eye opening- the poverty is shocking. We did get to see coffee plants, cigars being made, coco production and the landscape. I'd give it a B to B-.

Both of us did experience some travelers diarrhea. Despite our best efforts to avoid the water, we both came down with this, and it seemed to be common amongst others we talked to as well, so bring Imodium etc..

BE SURE TO PACK SUNSCREEN!! We did, but heard others say a bottle was selling for $30.

Staff at the resort were fantastic, very friendly and while not all were 100% conversant in English, we had no issues. (The airport is another story.)

Overall a very nice vacation, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this to friends.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked a trip to punta cana with delta vacations at the riu palace from 5/19/13 to 5/25/13 this was supposed to be a special trip 11 of us went three friends graduated grad school so they really wanted to celebrate where do i start this vacation was terrible from the start when we arrived at THE RIU PALACE the rooms weren't ready and im used to the riu palace smelling a little weird because ive stayed at the palace in Cancun as well as Jamaica but this smell was terrible it smelled like dirty old wet mop we didn't have clean towels for two days they never changed the sheets i even put makeup on the sheets and they still didn't change them don't even get me started on the bed bugs ....... we had a plate of old chicken bones in the fridge so ants wont get to it and when they came to stock the fridge they didn't even move the plate they left it there for two days the bartenders kept making the wrong drinks know one there could speak English they served the same food everyday for breakfast,lunch and dinner and the food was GROSS they kept making watery eggs the breakfast was so bad that i stood behind the stove moved the chef out of the way and started making omelets for me and my friends as well as other guest oh and did i mention we all got food poisoning after the fourth night our meals consisted of french fries and nacho cheese that's all the 11 of us eat for the remainder of the vacation after we were sick the hotel charged us for coconuts which i didn't understand in Jamaica they gave them to us for free then when we went to the casino they charged us for jose cuervo and were rude as hell we tried to order room service and they kept hanging up on us it took all week to get a avocado and i had to beg for it the restaurants are terrible and three of my friends shared a room and got Eaten alive by BEDBUGS they would not change the room either the staff really didn't care ....,the delta agent thats suppose to have our transfers taking care of had it all screwed up they need to burn down the riu palace punta cana and start all over again all in all if i could get my money back from this trip i would i was embarrassed because it was my trip and these were my friends and we did not enjoy our selves we suffered..

Pearl Casher

• Stayed May 2013
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed from April 20th - 27th. We're giving an excellent rating because the Riu delivered everything we expected. Service was great, staff was friendly, food and drink was exactly what we thought it should be, resort was clean and well maintained.

When I look at some of the negative reviews for this property, particularly when someone says the staff was rude, I just can't believe that the people stayed at the same resort we did. Our housekeeper, Anna, gave us a hug on our last day! This was our ninth trip to an AI (fifth in PC) and that has never happened before.

The Riu Palace Punta Cana regularly ranks right in the middle of the pack among the PC resorts. Sure you can get better everything, but you'll pay for it as well. Considering the price we paid this was one of the best values we've ever had on a vacation. Our first trip to an AI was a Sandals in Jamaica (supposedly the highest rated AI chain.) We paid two and a half times as much as the RIU, and got half the service. We highly recommend the Riu Palace Punta Cana.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have used Riu hotels for the past 8 years and will never go back to the Dom Rep. Not ever. We were there for 14 nights and it was for the most part a nightmare for me.

On arrival, despite paying Thomsons £140 extra for a sea view room, we were given a ground floor room with no sea view whatsoever; in addition the room had not been cleaned - one drawer was full of the previous guests used elastoplasts; our daughter's room was also dirty and the bath was missing chunks of enamel. The reception manager was rude to us when we complained, blamed Thomsons for promising seaviews and then changed our rooms the following day. I would advise people never to pay for a seaview room because the rooms either looked out on the courtyard or on to the neighbouring hotels and none have what I would define as a true sea view. The lift between floors was broken more often that it was working so getting to our top floor room was a bit of a struggle. Whilst the maid service could not be faulted in our room, our daughter's maid service was less than satisfactory. We got a queen size bed in our room, she had two double beds in her room. In addition, on three separate days, we returned to our rooms at teatime to find no water to wash with or to flush the toilet. Water problems were throughout the hotel but were rectified after about 30 minutes. Water problems were intensified for me because I became ill about two days after arrival with gastrointestinal upsets. My family also became ill but not as day as I did. So were lots of other guests. Everyone I spoke to had been ill at some point during their holiday. Despite repeat starvation periods for either 24 or 48 hours, when I ate again I became ill again and this continued throughout the 14 day holiday. The Thomsons's rep called one day to see if we were enjoying the holiday and he made no comment at all when my husband told him about me being ill.

Several possible reasons. Guests were urinating in the main pool repeatedly. I watched men at the pool bar drinking all day and never once leaving the pool. Some admitted what they did. Food was well presented but tasted awful, even in the so called speciality restaurants. We tried the Italian and the Brazilian and I thought both were disgusting. Fish was always undercooked (and I don't mean Sushi) or raw in the buffet restaurants. Beef was either undercooked,dripping with blood or so overcooked it tasted like rubber. My daughter ate almost nothing for the first week. We met guests who ate mashed potatoes 2 weeks. Fresh fruit selection was good. I noticed that the containers of juice at the pool bar (used to make cocktails and slush drinks) were switched off at night, not emptied, were left to fester in the heat overnight and were then topped up and switched on at 8 am the following day. I also saw a maid on our last day cleaning the communal toilets at the reception area with the same type of bath towels we were given to dry ourselves - mops don't seem to exist there. No wonder I became ill if this is what's going on. (When I returned home my GP surgery said that Typhoid is rife in the Dom Rep and a week after coming home I still have diarrhoea. Money does not appear to be safe even if kept in the room safe. We noticed that $100 went missing from the room safe and my daughter said that many of the friends she met noticed that $10 or $20 would be stolen from their room safes on a daily basis so all of us started to lock money in our suitcases then there were no more incidents of theft.

Not much positives I'm afraid. Resort was well presented and looked beautiful. I didn't see any roaches or bad bugs - did see lovely birds including pelicans as well as butterflies, occasional lizards and millipedes. Beach and ocean are lovely. Don't expect crystal clear or calm water as the resort is on the Atlantic ocean, not the Carribbean sea, so there are powerful waves. Mini bar and optics are replaced daily and the bar man will provide drinks, eg diet pepsi or 7up to suit your preferences. The entertainment staff work long hours and do a great job but the shows being laid on each night have not changed in 8 years - each Riu presents the same shows, no matter which island you visit, so there is room for improvement here. The excursion to Saona Island (out by speedboat, beach barbecue and return journey by catamaran) was really good. (Thomsons's charge $189, Scuba Caribe did almost identical trip for $89; and I have been on the Thomson's trip previously so am in a position to compare). I couldn't go on any other excursions due to being ill and actually took lots of money home with me (first time ever). My daughter went horse-riding and did the dune buggy trip and loved both of them.

This is the last time I will go to Dom Rep. My experience in Puerta Plata 8 years ago was the same as far as food poisoning goes (in fact the rep called it the Puerta Plata splatter) and against my better judgement we returned as we thought the island is beautiful and the people so friendly. We have been to Riu hotels in Mexico (Cancun and Playacar), as well as in Ocho Rios in Jamaica - none of them were Palace hotels, all were club hotels - and they were far superior to the Riu Palace Punta Cana. It must be Riu standards in the Dom Rep that are the problem as people we spoke to at the airport on the return journey who stayed in different hotels did not have any problems and really enjoyed their holiday. Sorry for being so negative - I don't enjoy reading or writing negative reviews but if you have not already booked a holiday my advise would be to go someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 3rd floor (top), if you want a view. Courtyard view rooms are noisier than the...
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We traveled May 26-31. I work with the public and understand it is hard to please everyone. This place does not even try.

The food was not labeled you might think you are getting mash potatoes when you are getting mashed turnips. The food was so bad all my family would eat was the snacks we brought with us. In the Don Manuel yes has ROACHES.

The rooms had a smell that I will never forget. There was a water leak in our bathroom and the repair man said no problem but never fixed it. Dripping water can keep you up all night. It was coming from the upstairs bathroom.

Chester, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We chose Riu Palace based on the photos, and were quite impressed as the photos did an excellent job of depicting the facilities. We are beach people and the beaches here were excellent. I was a bit surprised to find that we were on the Atlantic as the waters were reasonably calm. The Junior suite was just the right size and was equipped with a full bar (we are non drinkers) & refrigerators. The entire staff worked tirelessly to ensure we were having an excellent vacation. All of the restaurants were very good, but we preferred the buffet for most of our meals as it offered a great selection on meats and seafood. I did find that everything was cooked "well done"and I quickly realized it was a cultural thing as I attempted to get the chef to give me a steak off the grill and he went to the one that was cooked the most! Two recommendations I would have are that the property needs to update the equipment in the fitness center. Ellipticals, treadmills and stair climbers have all seen their better days and the food in the 24 hour sports bar leaves a lot to be desired. We would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the resort on the third floor. Beach view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!