“Great Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Los Angeles, California
“Great Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Check in was a breeze, The hotel grounds, pool, beach and rooms were all to my liking.( FYI) The in room safe is small, so you wont be able to put your lap top in it. If you are bringing one buy some locks for your luggage so that you wont have any problems with theft as I did read a few reviews that mentioned being robbed. I did not have this problems. If something is of value put it away do not leave it out. Now for the room service, all they have are sandwiches and fruit. I did not have the need to use it. Moving on Wi-Fi they give you the code at check in, my device kept loosing the connection not sure why, but I did not need it to often so it was not a problem
for me. When you book this hotel they give you a bracelet which gives you access to the other Riu Hotels next door. I really liked our hotel so I only walked over to the other hotels to look around I did not hang out. They were nice also, but I think ours was the best looking.

Things I did not like,

1. The pool area does not serve snacks, only drinks. Come on Riu, you can make a small snack
menu for the pool. And there is no pool restroom. You have to walk over to a restaurant to use
the restroom and after many hours at the pool I did not see many people going in that
direction. You know what that means. And people stop putting your towel on a pool chair and
not sit in at all day.

2. I tried three of the specialty restaurant and 1 of them sucked, it was suppose to be a
Brazilian restaurant (La Bodega) Really bad food and service.
The salad bar was empty and none of the workers cared. The meat took a long time to
come out, and when it did, the worker Pedro Kept serving the same table. I was sitting for a
long time with no food on my plate.
I think he was serving certain tables because he thought they would tip more. (whatever)
When the meat finally made it to our table it was very hard not worth the wait. At this point
the buffet would have been better. The only person who was attentive at this restaurant
was a young girl (did not get her name) she who would refill your drinks as soon as it
needed. And guess who got your tip Pedro, she did.

3. The company that hangs out in the pool area Scuba Caribe they are shady especially Enrique
I suggest you book activities with blue travel in the hotel lobby. But you do have to go through
them for the hotel beach activities canoeing and wind surfing which are included.

If you have a question about the resort please ask,

The airport is 30 minutes away, And they charge 10.00 per visitor upon arrival.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a rocky start. (The President decided to go into and out of Ohare on a Friday the busiest travel day of the week which shut Ohare down and backed several flights up for several hours - Think Mr. President) After a sprint we made it 2 terminals away to JUST catch our flight to Dulles. The next morning we made our flight to PC, but because we just made our flight to Dulles, our baggage did not arrive with us. We saw that there was a flight out of Chicago to PC on Saturday morning and hpoed that is how United would get us our baggage which we would have seen later on Saturday afternoon. However they had our luggage follow us so we did not see it until Sunday afternoon.

The Resort was all we expected it to be and because I had suprised my wife with a suite upgrade it was more. The beach was fantastic and we walked several miles each way each day. My wife was intrigued by the ship wreck of the Ashton just off the coast. The food was good at each of the specialty restaraunts as well as the buffets. The beverages were typical of an all
inclusive and the beer "El Presidente" was OK at best. We loved our room but could have used clean towels etc. a little more often. The room service menu left a lot to be desired. I believe there were 3 options for each meal. We like to have a breakfast in our room a couple times each vacation but because of the limited menu we decided not to partake this time around.

My wife and I are not super picky when it comes to travel and kind of go with the flow. So there is nothing that would really stand out as dissapointing.

I also want to give a special shout out to our United Vacations Host Freddie while were in PC for his assistance with our luggage and the microwave popcorn he brought for my wife from home one of the days we were there.

Room Tip: Go with a suite. The Jacuzzi suite looked nice, but why pay more for an additional Jacuzzi in a leve...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eldersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went back to Riu Palace Punta Cana because we were there 4 years ago and it was one of the best vacations we ever had. This time although it was a good trip there were some things left to be desired. The rooms are ready for some updating, the sheers in our room had a small amount of black mold, there was no bed skirt, and most of the towels and sheets had stains on them. The food on their buffet was good, not great, but good. The Steak House restaurant was was terrible. The steak was so tough I couldn't eat it and the veggies were not cooked at all. Try biting into a piece of corn on the cob that hasn't been cooked. The Italian restaurant was incredibly delicious. The table and chairs around the pool area were not cleaned before the next morning, so whoever had spilled something the day before it was still there the next morning. Same with most of the ash trays throughout the hotel. They were not cleaned very often and this from me a smoker. The beach was kept pretty clean, but there was some trash and cig butts. The service was good most of the time, the ladies in the spa and the servers in the restaurants weren't the most friendly, but everyone else was very helpful and nice. SO, I wouldn't rate Riu Palace Punta Cana a 4 any longer. At best I would give it a 3.5. Over all this is was a good trip, very relaxing and the weather was amazing.

Room Tip: Keep the curtains drawn it will keep your room cooler. Ocean/pool views recommended or else you see...
Simcoe, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Overall, Riu Palace Punta Cana was a good choice for a holiday. The establishment was spotless, beach was gorgeous and the general staff were exceptional. Having said that, I must say that the front desk staff that checked us in leave a lot to be desired. The person who checked us in became rude and belittling when we asked for a second key. He totally ignored our first request and became obnoxious when we had to ask a second time. ......and he did this in front of other guests ! Very arrogant !Another person that did not impress us was theSun Wing Rep. We were checking to see if our flight was still leaving on time. This girl had absolutely no interest in helping us. She was unfriendly and abrupt. Having said that, she was all over the clients who were interested in booking a tour.
The food was generally very good and the service excellent.I liked the buffet the best .There was always a good selection and well prepared with the exception of the " rib eye". it was definately not a rib eye roast.It looked more like a regular oven roast and was overdone and tough .
The only restaurant I would not recommend was the Brazilian. They tried to pass off hot dogs for chorizo sausages and the rest of the meat was tough. We did not finish our meal.
Riu Palace was a beautiful hotel on a fabulous beach. Generally, service and food were good with a few exceptions. I don't think I will return because I am looking for something a bit smaller with ocean front rooms. But as a last minute holiday, it worked for us.

• Stayed April 2013
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were here from April 20-27 and had an amazing time! We had a pretty bad experience checking in - the guy at the front desk couldn't find our reservation because they had us down under completely different names somehow and he wasn't really interested in helping us at all. Once we got that straightened out, we didn't have any other major issues. Our room was really nice but the beds aren't very comfortable and you get two beds pushed together which is a little awkward. The hotel overall is beautiful and always kept super clean. We spent most of the week at the beach and never had trouble finding chairs in the shade. We only spent one day at the pool... it was really nice too but more congested than the beach. The food is a lot better than some reviews make it out to be. The buffets are huge and you can always find something good to eat. We got reservations for the steak house and the Brazilian steak house, I wasn't too crazy about either one. Service everywhere is great and $5 tips go a long way. I loved that there were waiters on the beach to bring you drinks - and the pina coladas are amazing! I'd recommend brushing up on some Spanish before you go because the language barrier can be pretty hard to overcome sometimes. Overall, we would definitely come back to this resort!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a short 4 day stay at Riu palace punta cana. Overall a great time however some improvement need be made. Food is ok for all inclusive, buffet is good . You should be able to find something you like there. I have to say we procrastinated and only got in at the steak house, it was ok not great not bad. The employees at the bars and restaurants were friendly but the front desk people lack personality and did not give us very much information. The beach service lacks a little but if you find Angel and tip him you will have enough drinks to last all day long! Beach is beautiful And chairs were not hard to find. The chairs at the pool were little harder to find unless you are there early! Overall a good trip but we prefer a smaller resort. If you are on the beach is a long haul to a restroom! If you like a big resort this one is very good. I would go back but prefer Couples in Negril Jamacia! The entertainment staff at night at La Plaza was fun! The rooms are nice but do smell a little musty to begin with, nothing a little air will not fix! The beds are hard ago they could improve on that!

• Stayed April 2013
Ocean, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace Punta Cana, for one week March into April, 2013. Overall I have to give this resort very good +. If you like clean this is the place for you. They are constantly cleaning everything in this resort and is maintained very well. The resort location is in the middle of Bavaro Beach and it is part of the Riu Resort Complex. If you like to take long walks on the beach or long walks between different Riu resorts they have a convenient beach walkway that connects them all. The individual restaurants are good but you need to make your reservations well in advance. The buffet was also very good and all the food is plentiful and of good quality. Rooms are mostly the same Junior Suites with variations of sleeping arrangements. The only thing I did not like was the fact the rooms used keys rather than cards. Also the room safe required a key instead of a combination. So you had to keep keys with you all day instead of a card in you pocket and combo in you mind.

Overall this was a great vacation location and I definitely will return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are not on ground level. So it helps with privacy and limiting some o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!