We were booked at the Riu Bambu, but upon our arrival, they asked if we wanted to change, free of charge to the Palace. Evidently, they had overbooked. Since the lobby swarmed with folks with luggage looking travel-frazzled, we grabbed the opportunity.
They called a taxi to shuttle us next door.
Let me back up and say we booked the vacation with fun jet. We printed travel instructions from home, including airport arrangements. This turned out to be more crucial than I could have guessed.
When we arrived in the rooms, there were drinks in the refrigerator. The room was spotless and clean. The beds were two large singles put together to form king-sized. Nice, full sized tub, plenty of towels, which get replenished more than once daily. This is the first place where'd I've stayed that brings fresh towels around 9:30 at night.
Immediately changed and went in search of sustenance. The lunch buffet at 4:00 is nothing much to brag about, but it was post-peak. I gulped down coffee, and we went strolling. While checking out the restaurants, we ran into a fellow American who was very unhappy with his lack of transpo at the airport. (we had a private shuttle employed by fun jet.) we found that we'd have to eat at the buffet that night, then sign up for restaurants the next morning.
Our experience at the lower level Riu was that restaurants are always booked. At the Palace, we were able to sign up for 3 nights. The food has been phenomenal! At the Krystal, we had elegant and prettily-plated food that included appetizers, main dish, and desserts. At La Altagracia, we had escargot, oysters on the half shell, smoked salmon, shrimp cocktail. Lobsters and steak with carrots, cauliflower, and baked potatoes formed the main meal and baked Alaska topped it off. We don't drink at all, but all sorts of drinks were offered. This is an all inclusive, so you don't have to pay a dime, however, tips are surely appreciated.
If you go to this hotel, you will be pampered. The pool is nice, the beach is pristine. The atmosphere here is not party or clubbish, but down the road is the Riu club. I assume more of that can be found there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Low Cost Holidays, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, BookIt.com, Orbitz and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana