“Great week in paradise..would change some things..” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #52 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
New Jersey
“Great week in paradise..would change some things..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I returned last night from 6 days at the beautiful RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA. We were there with another couple, mid-twenties to early thirties. Two of us are teachers and we were looking for a winter escape, and the RIU was perfect!
First off I'll list the negatives, since there are less of those. The Steakhouse was not at all what we expected, and sadly we went there on our first night. The food was not the best, and the service wasn't that great. Ernestisina was great but Abad on the other hand was extremely rude to us. Not sure what his problem was with us and our table, but he seemed to think we weren't going to tip him.
Check-in and Check-out were quick..but I feel the people at the front desk did a poor job at telling us everything offered. We weren't given a map or told what goes on during the day, or about the shuttle offered to the casino and club. (we ended up going that night and requesting the information). MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU THE TOWEL CARD. We weren't given one, luckily the towel hut guy gave us towels the first day and we were able to get a card back. They didn't even give us our wristbands, we had to remind them! Also make sure they give you your wifi information, the signal is good all the way to the beach and in most parts of the room.
My only other problem was the Monday night show (didn't catch the name of it). This show was extremely inappropriate..we ended up getting up and walking out. There was a mattress on the floor and two members of the animation team were pretending to be Maria and her lover who get caught by the husband. REALLY??? Not my choice of family appropriate comedy shows.
The hook that held the shower head was broken the whole week, but that wasn't a problem for us. We just held the shower hose.

Everything else was great!

The hotel was beautiful, it's clean and so well taken care of. Yes the rooms smell like humidity. But you are in the Caribbean, anywhere I've been to in DR or Cuba has had the same smell. Just be careful with your cameras, our non-waterproof camera we think may have been damaged because of the high levels of humidity. The rooms were very clean, and the lady who cleaned our room made sure to change our towels, and leave a beautiful towel art in the room everyday. If you are traveling with someone that is staying in a different room, make sure to request a connecting room. The rooms are facing each other and have a door that can be locked outside of both rooms. We did not do this and ended up down the hall from each other. Not a big deal, but had we known the setup of the rooms...
The buffet is the best! There are options for everyone. We preferred the buffet to any other restaurant. The steakhouse is a small buffet during the lunch hours. We went to the Japanese, Krystal Gourmet, and Italian they were all great. Smaller portions but equally delicious. One tip if you are going to the Italian go with an empty stomach! They have a salad bar before the meal that is huge. Not just salad, but pizzas and seafood. The rice ball is to die for!
The service was incredible for the most part, some names that stick out: Rayner and Ronnie from the buffet, Anneris from the lobby bar and plaza bar...Luis from the Plaza bar at night. Also Jazmin from the lobby bar and the night bar.
The Animation Team tries too hard! There's one in particular Coco Loco he is the most annoying animator ever. But all in all they did a good job putting on a show for the guests.
We did not see any games being played at the pool until the last day. Wish there had been more, other than pool aerobics!
The beach is beautiful...I did not feel it was too crowded as we always found beach chairs. We did have to move the chairs around to get 4 together, but that's not a big issue. As always there are people who leave the towels on the chairs by the beach and pool. Personally I would not do it out of fear of losing the towel and having to pay the $20.00 :)

Please tip the staff, the waiters...the bartenders...your housekeeper. These people make very little a month, work weeks on end and only get a few days to go home and visit family. $2-3 dollars do not make much of a difference to us, but to them it could be between 60-90 pesos. We took $50 in singles and $50 in 5 dollar bills, and by the end of the week we were out of singles!!
Had the opportunity to meet the GM of the RIU hotels in PC, and I can see why the hotel thrives on improvement and treating their guests as #1.
Sorry for the long,detailed review but after doing so much research I appreciated seeing for myself the things I read. Make sure to bring some Febreze, and a smile. :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Polish first
Vienna
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I just spent a week at the Riu Palace Punta Cana, and it was a week in paradise. Beautiful weather, beautiful pool and beach, palm trees, piña coladas, friendly staff were the highlights of the trip. Our room definitely smelled very very musty to the point where we had to keep the door open whenever we were in the room. I don't know if this is just a general problem in the caribbean because of the humidity or if it is a problem specific to this hotel. But since everything else was great, I wasn't going to worry about it.
Unfortunately something happened that will make me never want to return. $90USD and 60 Euros were stolen from two separate wallets in the hotel safe. We kept the safe locked at all times and had the key with us at all times.
When we reported it to the front desk they told us the manager would "call us". Never happened. We eventually met with a manager and were told that it was impossible that the money was stolen and that we probably left it somewhere and should go look for it. There is absolutely no way we misplaced the money as I left my wallet IN the safe for the entire trip since I had no need for Euros. This left us feeling as though we had done something wrong, even though we did not ask for the money to be refunded, but just for someone to believe us. Proceed with caution.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

First off the the place actually looks like a Palace!! The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. When I choose a resort I look for a great beach, room service, good food and good drinks. This resort has them all, plus decent shows and a friendly staff. All in all I would consider it an all around great value. Did I already say the beach is amazing!!! Wouldn't hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just returned from the Riu Palace. I was anxious before going after reading more recent reviews, mainly about the food and musty smell. We travelled with Thompson's and booked 11 months previous. We had two rooms 2081 for myself and husband also room 2032 for my 2 older children. Ours was 1 floor up from the lobby near to the entertainment area, to be honest, when it was a bit noisy we were out mostly and the glazed units kept it at bay, entertainment didn't go on till late. My children's (age 24 and 17) was very quiet, (looking from the front of the hotel) it was on the right wing nearer to the beach.
The only 5* star I would give would be to the lobby possibly to the buffet restaurant and the level of service. The rooms and pool I would give a 3* they just weren't finished to a good standard, we had a hole in the bathroom ceiling, shaving mirror hanging off the wall, drawer door hanging off, however we weren't in the room long enough to cause much of a problem. Above the revolving door to to the hotel, the date says 2006, I honestly thought the hotel was at least 15 years if not more older, judging by the rooms, the smell for all of us was not bad at all, we only used the fan, that seemed to work for us.
We really enjoyed the buffet, there was plenty of everything, The japanese restaurant was fantastic, lets face it, it is all down to personal preference. We cant fault the service, we had room service a few times, getting food and drink whenever was so easy, the staff could not do enough.
The beach was stunning and sometimes busy, but not overly loud, I didnt enjoy the daytime entertainment, but others did. I watched the sunrise a few times, spectacular!
We had a fantastic time, don't worry before you go, just try and make the most of it when your there.. Have fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outer wings seem to be more quiet on the right side looking from the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotel is colonial style with chandeliers and a stained glass roofed lobby giving a good first impression. The reception staff are efficient and checking in was done with no delays and our luggage was waiting for us by the time we reached our room. Surprised by some of the comments about the state of the rooms as ours was very clean and certainly not smelly or stuffy. We were celebrating an anniversary and there was a bottle of bubbly, plate of fruit, a necklace and a cigar in the room on our arrival, much appreciated.
On the 2nd last day the A/C failed and although we reported it and someone did appear to check it, it was nor repaired by the time we left, when I spoke to reception on leaving they said they had had problems with the system but that it was now rectified although each room had to be individually checked and that they were working on it?
The lift in the middle of the building was very temperamental and the doors tried on a number of occasions to squash guests. It was out of order on a couple of days which meant it was a hard climb to the 3 rd floor at the end of the day.
The hotel gardens are very well attended and I noticed that the hedges were sprayed which possibly accounted for the lack of biting insects.
The food in all the restaurants was very good and it would very difficult not to find something to your taste. The staff are excellent and welcoming and thoroughly deserve any tips they receive.
Surprised that some guests thought the drinks were watered down as the bars went through a large amount of bottles and were always busy, so don't know when the staff were able to water them down
I found it to very noisy at times within the bars and around the pool with large groups of Americans and Canadians who seemed unable to hold a conversation without shouting (my apologies as I'm sure that come summer time it will be us Brits who are making the noise)
Didn't see much of the night entertainment but the few shows I saw were ok although I felt the dancers etc were restricted due to the small size of the stage. The presentation of the game prizes before the shows is boring and I'm sure if I went back next year not all the animation staff will still have learnt to dance.
The beach is lovely but is exceptionally busy and it is like walking down a busy shopping street, so it is not the place to go if you are looking for a quiet time .
There are a number off shops within the hotel grounds and in Caribbean Street and their prices are pretty steep. A flea market is situated on the beach about 800 mts away where you can buy all things to take home and prices are much more attractive than the shops when you barter with stall holders. They will approach you but are not persistent when you say no thank you.
There is a small shack with 4 tables and chairs where you can buy a beer
Booked a couple of trips through our tour operator (Thomson). They advertise the price in $ but when paying by card they convert it to peso's with an not favourable exchange rate.
The hotel possibly qualified for 5* a number of years ago but when you compare them to neighbouring 5* hotels it is now just a good 4* but even allowing for that I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Was in room 3111 which was close to the lift but quiet with a side view to the sea. The room got the...
West Fargo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Riu Palace, Punta Cana. The entrance to the hotel is grand and glorious. However, when we got to our room...it was not so grand. The smell that hit us as we opened the door was enough to make me run for the balcony. We left the balcony open most of the time to try and keep the room aired out. The "king" size bed was a disappointment, two twins pushed together, made seperately, and seperated very easily. The food was ok...I'm not a picky eater, but couldn't always find something that I wanted to eat. We did eat at 3 of the restaurants - the Japenese place was a huge disappointment. The Brazil and the Steakhouse were good, but we had to wait to eat supper until 9 at night. Over all...we enjoyed the beach, but wish there were more bathrooms. The people/staff were very wonderful! Tip - do not shop in the gift shop inside the resort - way over priced...go to the shops by the pool/ocean.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was a part of a 26 person group staying at the RIU Palace. 2 out of 26 people were happy with their room. The remaining 24 people had very musty rooms, and 4 people had bed bugs. 3 rooms had broken hair dryers, and even after calling the front desk several times, they were not replaced or fixed. The beer on tap is watered down and smelly. The food was below my expectations. I got sick as well as two other women.

The weather was great though!

Room Tip: Get a room on level 2 or 3 as they are a little less musty.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!