“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
New Braunfels, Texas
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

From the time we walked into the lobby until the time we left our stay was exceptional! The hotel is very clean, no musty smell in rooms as i read prior to going. Housekeeping was excellent each day. The food was very good and plentiful! Always an open restaurant on the property if you are hungry at any time. The beach was beautiful and kept clean. Plenty of chairs and shade. Towel service was great and the towels are very nice. Do NOT pay attention to negative reviews, they simply are not true. Will definitely go back! Stayed Dec 24 to Dec 28 2012.

2,782 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Polish first
Carthage, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just got back. Not my favorite vacation (although the beach and the accomodations should have made this #1 on my list.) After paying a huge price for this ALL INCLUSIVE, it seems as if you must pay for everything again while you are there. Almost every worker there has a side gig from the pool man to the front desk. Most view Americans as rich and expect them to up the ante for any service. Initially, front desk pocketed money for a room change $150, pool man saves seating so you pay him for a lounger $5 a day, pay for bar maids and outdoor seating at the buffets. UNREAL!!!

I felt VULNERABLE the whole week. Day 2 the maid went through my belongings and helped herself to several new items that I had purchased for the trip...! Be careful if your maid's name is Marisol.

Never felt safe after that--they don't have the normal safe; it is an old fashioned KEY safe with hundreds of master keys I'm sure. After having the maid lift items, everyday I expected to come in to find out that it had been broken into. Thank goodness this didn't happen!!!

The entertainment committee at this Riu tried... but in my mind fell short compared to other Riu's we've been to in the past. Possibly because of the number of different cultures. The first three days in Punta Cana there were only a handful of Americans. Mostly northern Europeans and Russians. We went for sun and fun but had to find it on our own. Even the planned activities that I chose to participate in, made me feel like unwelcomed.

We love to snorkel and dive. Due to a sinus infection diving was out. Unfortunately, decent snorkeling can not be found close to the hotel. Although there is a reef 1/4 mile off shore, power boats speed through the area and you are likely to end up minced fish food attempting to navigate through the area. We paid for a snorkeling expedition called the "Sunset Cruise" but we were taken to a dead reef for only 30 minutes. I'm sure there is better! I heard Catallina Island was good but didn't have a whole day left after our disappointing cruise to try it.

The hotel has many water toys. Sign up early for appointments or be willing to pay the beach boys off.

Excursions: Horse back riding trip was wonderful! I would recommend this afternoon excursion. Although they were over an hour late picking us up, we were able to race the horses on the beach. Went through the forest and town as well. Very nice excursion for our family. Asking price for pictures were $40.

Room Tip: We upgraded (from an outside room facing maintenance) to a courtyard room by the pool. Thick doors...
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Perfect!

We are a family from the US, stayed December 23 - 30. We had great weather, the hotel was wonderful, service great, food very good. The evening entertainment was lacking a bit but that was fine for us - not high on our priority list.

There were very few other Americans - lots and lots of Canadians and many Europeans - fun variety. English was the main language but it does help to speak Spanish.

We tried 4 of the specialty restaurants and preferred the Brazilian and Italian. Japanese and Krystal (fusion?) were just not our kind of restaurants. (to sign up you need to go to the Italian restaurant from 8 - 11 am and get reservations. They fill up fast but they do let you do more than one day at a time). The buffet always had a good variety of everything so there were no complaints there. We also ate at the steak house for lunch most days and found that to be good also. The bar service was always great and we went next door to the bar there also - very similar. It was nice to have the option of other hotels.

The gym is small but was never crowded. The stretching and water aerobics were not exactly professional but something active to do. We spent a lot of time walking miles on the beach. One day we walked down to the Hard Rock which was about 1 1/2 miles each way. It seemed exactly like Vegas - very interesting and everyone should check it out. The casino at Riu is very small but they made great daiquiris. (it was by the disco, not sure which hotel)

We did the water sports - catamaran and kayaks. It fills up quickly so make an appointment early and maybe a day in advance if you want to try this. We had great weather so that helped.

I have heard others saying they couldn't find chairs by the pool or beach but that wasn't the case when we were there. There always seemed to be plenty. Service around the bar was great - there was always someone offering a drink. We took many one dollar bills and tipped generously but it didn't seem to make a difference if one tipped or not - still got great service.

It was just a perfect week. I would go back in a second and will highly recommend Riu Palace Punta Cana to everyone!

Room Tip: avoid rooms by the housekeeper's area - they are very loud at many times during the day - especi...
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace Punta Cana, December 2nd through the 17th. We both thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s on a great stretch of beach which is one of our main drawing points. There are plenty of beach loungers and shade provided naturally by a multitude of palms. In addition to the natural beauty of this spot, the next best thing about the Riu Palace Punta would probably be the staff! The staff was entirely friendly, accommodating, professional and attentive beyond pretty much anywhere else we’ve stayed! Five years ago we stayed at the Riu Bambu (just next door) and we enjoyed visiting their pools this time as well. We also enjoyed visiting the Naiboa pool and bars. The Riu properties are all in a row which is nice.

Fun: I brought an inflatable lounger to float on in the pool and had a blast riding on waves in the ocean. I left it with another guest upon leaving in hopes they’d enjoy it as well, which beat deflating it and repacking it.

We always bring a insulated cup to get beverages in. They stay colder, hold more and are more environmentally friendly than constant use of disposable cups.

The staff appreciate tips even a buck or two goes a long way, it’s not required or expected but very much appreciated! Especially the housekeeping.

In my opinion the buffets were phenomenal! We have stayed at 4 brands of All-Inclusive hotels and I think that the Riu brand has the best food. This is our 4th Riu stay in Mexico and Punta Cana. The food variety was amazing. The drink selection is fantastic. Our room was very comfortable. Yes, the rooms smell “musty”, but the only people who complain about this are those who have never been anywhere in the Caribbean. It is caused by humidity. It’s like this everywhere.

We have no real complaints about this property and would stay here again. If I were to get really nit picky, the bedspread could have been heavier/nicer/newer.

It’s quite funny because just like our stay at the Riu Bambu five years ago, the only thing we found to be excruciatingly distasteful, had absolutely nothing to do with the hotel itself or its management but rather the guests! I do not know where “these” people come from but both times there were a plethora or rude guests. Last time I called them Europeans but that is not really fair to categorize people like that. Maybe from France? I really do not know. But both times there were many guests who cut you off at the buffet and practically run you over to get their food first. Butting in line for drinks and such. It’s quite amazing. I started wondering if I was invisible, ha ha. Don’t let the rude “me first” people ruin your trip though, this is a great place to vacation!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shiloh, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am going to do a little comparing here. Went to the RIU Palace Mexico at this same time last year. I have to say they look pretty much the same as far as the layout. The food at the Riu in Punta Cana was only average. They had a good variety, but always the same. Breakfast was the best meal. The specialty restaurants were nothing special. Only went twice. The food at the Riu in Mexico was fantastic with the specialty restaurants being top notch ! The service in both places was excellent but a much bigger language barrier in Punta Cana than in Mexico or Jamaica. The RIU must have excellent training programs for their staff as they really are great everywhere we have been ! This is our third time at a RIU property and the service at all of them is beyond compare anywhere ! And all of the RIU properties we have visited are extremely well kept and clean !!! The beach in Punta Cana was gorgeous !! Powder soft sand and nice walkways between the resorts with lots of places to shop. Speaking of shopping - there were vendors on property most every night. They were quite pushy and we found ourselves trying to avoid them after the first night. Beach is Mexico was not as nice. The beds in Punta Cana were hard and uncomfortable compared with Mexico, which were much better and the rooms could do with a little updating although they were immaculately cleaned each day ! (please ditch the bedspreads) We had a courtyard view on the second floor which was awesome ! Its worth it to pay a little extra for it. As far as the drinks - if you are a wine drinker like me, not very good. Wines were bitter and only one brand was served that I could see. A little disappointing. All the other drinks seemed to be OK and of course you have the in-room bar - Awesome ! You cannot drink the water here or even brush your teeth with it - steer clear of the ice too. But plenty of bottled water is in your room and replenished daily. Very prompt and good room service if you want it. Entertainment is about average. Not much for the young crowd. But fine for us 50 + people. Beach is the best feature here. Lots of servers on the beach, anything you want - lots of things to do if you want to. And very safe to walk. Probably would not return here - because of the food and that is probably the only reason. Better food in other places we have been. Also, be prepared to pay 10.00 per person at the Punta Cana airport as soon as you enter the country. We did not know this beforehand - glad we had some cash with us. The airport is charming. Open air and very,very small ! Don't wait to do your shopping at the airport - there is very little and quite expensive. The shopping at RIU Palace Punta Cana is great. Lots of shops on property and the walkway connects to the other resorts where there is more ! If food in not a big issue for you - this place is great ! Beautiful and another good RIU experience. We will continue to book with RIU. Weather was great too !

Room Tip: Courtyard view! Could hear the music at night and see the lights - gorgeous ! Well worth the extra...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went with three couples and I must say from check in to check out the staff was so service oriented. The room was very nice and spacious with a small wet bar. The food was bountiful but not that tasty--the breakfast is awesome and the Japanese Rest was very good. The shows are nice and the drinks are plentiful.

My first all inclusive and we felt we got our monies worth!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I traveled from Dec 15 - 22nd with my family (11, 22,24, and three 50 yr olds).

This was a very nice and clean resort. Everything is within the U-shaped hotel and in front of it, and was within a 5 min walking distance. The beach area was great and kept clean (though my favourite beaches are still in Cuba - I haven't seen anything like those crystal clear turquoise waters yet!). We had to wake up to save chairs as it was a busy time for traveling. There are big waves, and if you've been to Punta Cana before, I think all of the resorts pretty much have the same beach style.

We tried the Brazilian and Italian restaurants - the Brazilian was a lot better in my opinion. They bring out a variety of meats for you which were excellent. The Italian was average. The food at the buffet was great, though a little repetitive and not as much selection as I have seen at other RIUs, and that bothered some of the people I traveled with.

This was my first time at a RIU Palace, and the one thing that stood out as being different from the other RIUs is the customer service. The staff were very friendly, and every 10 minutes, there was someone walking around with drinks (at the beach and pool area) - I never had to get up and get a drink at the beach! They also came around with a selection of fresh fruit, which was nice!

There was a nightclub called Pacha that all the RIU resorts had access to (plus locals). The drinks are not free there, though it was fun to go for a couple of nights.

Since I'm 24 and single, I like knowing the general age category of a resort and find it is hard to tell until you go there to see for yourself! This resort had a mix of people. There were a lot of seniors and couples, though there were families with children and groups of friends. My sister and I met a lot of people to hang out with at night from Canada, the States, Germany, Russia and South America who were anywhere from 19 - 30.

My ONLY complaint for this resort was the entertainment. I found it to be the worst that I have seen. The performers were not that great. This may have also been because the music was so low. For some reason, the music they played at the shows was never loud enough. I asked one of the animation team members the reason for this, and they said it would be too loud for the people that may already be sleeping, because of the way the hotel is designed (The U-shape would amplify the sound to all rooms, I guess). So most of the time we just went over to the RIU Bambu (next door) for the shows, which were great and the music was nice and loud and got you in the dancing mood!

I would come here again because of the variety of people I met from all over the world, and for the cleanliness and service. The food and entertainment were not amazing, so I'd probably try out a different resort the next time I travel to Punta Cana.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!