I am going to do a little comparing here. Went to the RIU Palace Mexico at this same time last year. I have to say they look pretty much the same as far as the layout. The food at the Riu in Punta Cana was only average. They had a good variety, but always the same. Breakfast was the best meal. The specialty restaurants were nothing special. Only went twice. The food at the Riu in Mexico was fantastic with the specialty restaurants being top notch ! The service in both places was excellent but a much bigger language barrier in Punta Cana than in Mexico or Jamaica. The RIU must have excellent training programs for their staff as they really are great everywhere we have been ! This is our third time at a RIU property and the service at all of them is beyond compare anywhere ! And all of the RIU properties we have visited are extremely well kept and clean !!! The beach in Punta Cana was gorgeous !! Powder soft sand and nice walkways between the resorts with lots of places to shop. Speaking of shopping - there were vendors on property most every night. They were quite pushy and we found ourselves trying to avoid them after the first night. Beach is Mexico was not as nice. The beds in Punta Cana were hard and uncomfortable compared with Mexico, which were much better and the rooms could do with a little updating although they were immaculately cleaned each day ! (please ditch the bedspreads) We had a courtyard view on the second floor which was awesome ! Its worth it to pay a little extra for it. As far as the drinks - if you are a wine drinker like me, not very good. Wines were bitter and only one brand was served that I could see. A little disappointing. All the other drinks seemed to be OK and of course you have the in-room bar - Awesome ! You cannot drink the water here or even brush your teeth with it - steer clear of the ice too. But plenty of bottled water is in your room and replenished daily. Very prompt and good room service if you want it. Entertainment is about average. Not much for the young crowd. But fine for us 50 + people. Beach is the best feature here. Lots of servers on the beach, anything you want - lots of things to do if you want to. And very safe to walk. Probably would not return here - because of the food and that is probably the only reason. Better food in other places we have been. Also, be prepared to pay 10.00 per person at the Punta Cana airport as soon as you enter the country. We did not know this beforehand - glad we had some cash with us. The airport is charming. Open air and very,very small ! Don't wait to do your shopping at the airport - there is very little and quite expensive. The shopping at RIU Palace Punta Cana is great. Lots of shops on property and the walkway connects to the other resorts where there is more ! If food in not a big issue for you - this place is great ! Beautiful and another good RIU experience. We will continue to book with RIU. Weather was great too !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com and Otel so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana